2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

21 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Some AL West teams are stepping up and trying to “close the gap”. Fortunately the remaining gap is the size of the Grand Canyon. 

That doesn't seem bad. Unless the first 3 years go for like 90 million with the 2 years on the opt out at like $25 million as insurance for Ray in case he gets hurt or something.  23 million might be a bargain compared to 47 million for Scherzer.  Wow. 

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

These contracts have not been eye popping outside of Scherzer.  Owners must be getting some final colluding in before the new CBA.

This

I can’t tell what’s going on as I really didn’t expect anything to happen until a new cba was in place

but that assumed 12/1 was going to be a date something real happened. Guessing mid-feb will be the date something actually gets finalized and guys (and owners) want some certainty now vs waiting 2.5 months 

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hope the rotations line up, but a road trip in late June to the big apple to see Cole, DeGrom, Scherzer and JV will not suck.

i gotta get that trip booked.

damn, I've gotta look at that.   would be a great trip

So remember when I said Correa should get a 10/100 offer before he came up?

And then a 12/200 offer after his rookie of the year?

And then a lifetime contract for 300 million after 2017?  

All because he was going to make 400 million in his career if he went to FA and I got scoffed at?

Yeah- today sucks..

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So remember when I said Correa should get a 10/100 offer before he came up?

And then a 12/200 offer after his rookie of the year?

And then a lifetime contract for 300 million after 2017?  

All because he was going to make 400 million in his career if he went to FA and I got scoffed at?

Yeah- today sucks..

I scoffed at you in 2017 when you said he would eventually ink a $500MM deal.  Still do.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I scoffed at you in 2017 when you said he would eventually ink a $500MM deal.  Still do.

I was high and immediately said he’d make 4 in his career. Bet he still does. Said that we should have offered 3 something for 13 or 14 years (age 40 season). Keep in mind he’s already made like 25 million during the arbitration so I’ve only got to get to $375 more to be correct. If he gets a 10/350 he still has a slight chance at getting to 500 million. Beltran made what 75 or 80 million from 37 years old on?  

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Inflation is a bitch

Go ahead. give him $500M in 2021 dollars.

That wasn’t ever the point of what I was saying. I have literally always argued for trying to give him a lifetime contract as early as possible starting out before he even played a game it’s us, because if he reached FA his price tag would be astronomical- which is exactly how it played out. 
now- maybe he never would have taken the security of guaranteed life changing money early in his career but we sure as shit never made a good faith effort to try him at it and that’s why I’ve been dreading this day since 2014. 

Hot take for the final 24 hours: the market right now is absolutely absurd and the Astros are doing the right thing by not getting involved. I think there’s a reason all of the “smart” teams are quiet so far, with the exception of the Wander deal which is the most defensible of any of these silly contracts.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Correa is running out of options. Hate to see it.

He’s not. 
Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and Giants are all big market teams out there that like premium goods, not overpaying JAG relievers or guys to be the 8th best starter in your organization. 
I really don’t get what Detroit is thinking. Signing Baez to 23 million and paying him 7 years is actually riskier than giving CC a couple more years and 7 million per year more. We’ve conclusively proven that all 8.5 million buys you is a 3.5-4 ish era 33 year old middle reliever from a second division team in the NL East. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Hot take for the final 24 hours: the market right now is absolutely absurd and the Astros are doing the right thing by not getting involved. I think there’s a reason all of the “smart” teams are quiet so far, with the exception of the Wander deal which is the most defensible of any of these silly contracts.

Yeah. I thought the Marte deal was pretty reasonable and Robbie Ray wasn’t bad either (I had Marte getting 85 and Ray getting 140 so I was a little high on both) but the rest of the deals are pretty high. Maybe not AAV (I threw out 5/150 for Semien so 7/175 is pretty close to that when you consider those final two years he will be old), but a guy like Baez getting his big pay day when everyone seemed to think he’d end up with a 1 year type deal, multiple years for non closer relievers, the Max Scherzer deal was pretty holy shit- the rangers spending 1/2 a billion- pretty interesting stuff. Not a good time to be in the market. 
what I think you are seeing the really smart teams do is give life changing money to young 20’s kids and betting the money doesn’t spoil them/they don’t get hurt. 
Acuna, Wander, kid from San Diego, etc. wonder if a Vlady JR finds the truck backed up on his driveway?

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't like this shibboleth that "smart" teams don't make big deals.  Is Friedman an idiot for making the Betts deal?  I would take him any day of the week over Click.  The market is different for elite players and it's stupid to totally eliminate that avenue to improve your team when resources are available.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Our #1 priority was a TOR starter and we got Verlander for half of what the stupid fucking Mets are paying an old and busted Max Scherzer. 

There are some real albatross contracts being given out right now.