2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Folks....now we have a new post we will hear about in 2027 still from Mr. Wulaw!  

Remember when........

Lol just fucking with you 

I mean- I've been on the boards since 2002 when I met LonghornBob Wheeler in Aimes IA and he owned HornFans.  That's almost 20 years now.  2027 is just the blink of an eye online brother.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, I'm out on baseball until there is progress made.  I'm not mad or anything unless it screws up games and/or screws up the season.  I guess, if I had a magic wand, here is what I'd like to see:

On Field stuff

1) Machine called balls and strikes

2) Pitch clock at 15 seconds (nobody has a bad word to say about that at the minor league they tried it in and they shaved something like 20 minutes off the game and contact rates and balls in play improved)

3) Get rid of 7 inning double headers

4) Get rid of those stupid extra inning rules- if teams can't play beyond 10 or 11 innings safely (I think they can) I would prefer a tie over the damn ghost man- which is not baseball.

Free Agency

27.5 years old for any international signee or high school signee

29.5 years old for any drafted player that doesn't enter out of college

Anyone who plays even 1 game in a year gets a year of service time.  Anyone with 7 years of service time becomes a FA if they get to that point in time before 27.5 or 29.5

Abolish the 40 man roster/60 day DL and 10 day IL.  You can pull anyone you want up from the minors at any time and send them down at any time

Abolish the rule 5 draft.  Total and complete minor league Free Agency at 27.5

Competitive Balance

Salary floor at 40% of revenue (league wide)

Tax at 52.5% of league revenues

(players currently get 46.3% of league revenue- so this would give both sides something - and it would narrow the haves and the have nots).

No expansion of playoffs

2 league expansion teams (Portland and Nashville). Move A's to Vegas. New Divisions.

East side- least side

East 1:  NYY, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore; 

East 2: Philly, NYMets, Washington Cleveland

South:  Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, Nashville

Midwest- Eastern Time Zone style:  Detroit, Cincinatti, Pittsburg, Milwaukee (need someone to round out the division)

West side- best side

Flyover Country- part 1:  St. Louis, Chicago, Rangers, Astros

Flyover Country part 2: White Sox, KC, Minnesota, Colorado

West 1:  SEA, Portland, Angels, Las Vegas

West 2: Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Dbacks.

That would have only 2 teams in the wrong time zone (Milwaukee and Colorado) and they would only be 1 hour off in their time zones.  I don't think there are any traditional rivalries that got split up.  Maybe the South ends up with some new rivalries out of this.  Play each team in your division 18 times (54).  Play each team in your region's other division (south and Midwest- eastern time zone style paired together) 12 times (48 games), play 2 divisions in the other league 6 times (48 games) play 2 divisions in the other league 6 times (48), play 1 division in the other conference 3 times (12).  Rotate divisions on the other side.

Division winners make the playoffs. 1 wild card team with best record in the league makes the playoffs.  Division winner with worst record plays wild card.

A lot of this makes sense

Though i would add the following (after hearing the St. Louis Blues will have an emergency backup goalie, or “EBUG”, on the bench tonight)…instead of a PPP in blowouts, teams must use an EBUBBA, or Emergency Back Up Blowout Bullpen Arm.

no restrictions on who the guy is other than he can’t have played above junior college or coached above high school. And of course, higher preference given to message board posters in their late 30s/early 40s.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

shots fired!

shit, for all we know that’s the mlbpa saying stop using our photos. 

highly doubtful because many players, including Machete and Bregman, have changed their social media pics to the same thing to troll MLB for doing it....but I guess it is a possibility 

Edited by Scraps

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

A lot of this makes sense

Though i would add the following (after hearing the St. Louis Blues will have an emergency backup goalie, or “EBUG”, on the bench tonight)…instead of a PPP in blowouts, teams must use an EBUBBA, or Emergency Back Up Blowout Bullpen Arm.

no restrictions on who the guy is other than he can’t have played above junior college or coached above high school. And of course, higher preference given to message board posters in their late 30s/early 40s.

That would be incredible. Like organic home run derby.  Problem is someone might get kilt. 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

highly doubtful because many players, including Machete and Bregman, have changed their social media pics to the same thing to troll MLB for doing it....but I guess it is a possibility 

And some other players would be bitching about MLB using their image to promote the product.  

This whole MLB work stoppage is probably my fault.  After the 94 strike I gave a big FU to the Astros and MLB, gave up my season tickets and didn't watch, or attend another game until my daughter talked me into taking her to one (and only one) in August 2019.  This I year I kind of got interested in them again and started watching.  I actually rooted for them during the playoffs.  I'm pretty sure all this means that there is going to be a protracted strike again.  Apologies.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Rage+1 2

LMJ on Correa :

"Whatever's best for him and his family," McCullers said. "I've been through this with other guys that I'm friends with Dallas (Keuchel), (George) Springer, Charlie Morton, Gerrit Cole. These guys have to put their families first and wherever they end up, I hope they're happy. I hope it’s here. He’s not signed anywhere else yet, so we still got a shot.”

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-finding-best-fits-for-unsigned-top-50-free-agents-including-carlos-correa-and-clayton-kershaw/

Relevant portion:

headshot-image
Carlos CorreaHOUSTON ASTROS SS

Best fit: Astros. The short version is Houston's World Series window remains wide open and Correa is an elite player at a premium position, so he'd help the push for a title. The long version is Correa is already a franchise icon, a player who more than lived up to the hype after the Astros tanked to draft him No. 1 overall in 2012. With another team Correa's just a hired gun, a perennial All-Star who might win an MVP or two. And that's fine! Nothing wrong with being a mercenary. But with the Astros he has a chance to grow into a franchise legend. Correa staying with Houston would be the best thing for the Astros and the best thing for Correa's legacy. Some players should only wear one team's uniform. Correa is one of them.

Sleeper fit: Red Sox. Correa and Red Sox manager Alex Cora are very close (Cora was Houston's bench coach in 2017), and the Red Sox would be able to slide Xander Bogaerts over to second base, which might be his best defensive position at this point. Also, Bogaerts can opt out of his contract next offseason. Correa would give them long-term protection at short.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Scraps said:

That's a fun group of teams. Thanks for the info, because I've been trying to figure out what to get my dad for Christmas. A couple of three-day passes will make for a perfect gift.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Jon Singleton (!!) just signed with the Brewers.  Apparently he got in shape and has been playing in Mexico.  Would be a fun comeback story, although I wish he could have figured it out with us.

What he looks like now:

H"Una gran experiencia": Jon Singleton luego de dar 3 jonrones - Séptima  Entrada

Lot of empty potential advertising space on the back of that jacket.

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

$15 to spend, go !

265960298_10165663965080431_688825909662

Bourn averaged 4.5 WAR for 4 seasons at the peak of his career (2009-2012). Doran put up a couple of 4+ WAR seasons and one at 5, averaging 3.4 for 8 seasons. Those guys are huge bargains at $1. And including them on the same tier as Chris Burke is almost insulting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1