2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

48 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Bourn averaged 4.5 WAR for 4 seasons at the peak of his career (2009-2012). Doran put up a couple of 4+ WAR seasons and one at 5, averaging 3.4 for 8 seasons. Those guys are huge bargains at $1. And including them on the same tier as Chris Burke is almost insulting.

Bourn, Pettitte, Oswalt, Clemens, Bagwell 

I still can’t get over Burke being there at all. He’s not worth a dollar. Ignoring obvious guys (Bell, Alou, Finley, Luis Gonzalez, Hampton, Bass, etc.) who belong on higher tiers but won’t fit due to space, there are innumerable more worthy candidates at that level: Ausmus, Adam Everett, even Spiers come immediately to mind.

You could pick any random jag and do better than Burke. Eric Bruntlett put up more WAR in Houston over the same time frame. Pull a random name out of a hat-Orlando Miller has twice as much career WAR in 2/3 the seasons.

I’m probably taking this too seriously. But seriously. Come on.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I still can’t get over Burke being there at all. He’s not worth a dollar. Ignoring obvious guys (Bell, Alou, Finley, Luis Gonzalez, Hampton, Bass, etc.) who belong on higher tiers but won’t fit due to space

Bass lost his spot when he struck out swinging at ball four in the 16th inning of the sixth game of the 1986 NL championship series

• Rage+1 3

On 12/11/2021 at 12:49 AM, tx 3 putt said:

$15 to spend, go !

265960298_10165663965080431_688825909662

How does this game work? Put together a 9 player team with a $15 budget?

Not knowing the modern analytics of old timers, the $2 row all seems like extreme value (assuming pre-coke Caminiti). Oswalt for $3 is probably good as an ace on top of Pettite, Niekro, and Reynolds. Give me Bourn and Doran, then fill out the rest of the positions with $0 dudes like Tony Eusebio, Carl “fake dinosaurs” Everett, Richard Hidalgo, Mike Lamb and some Casa Olé bullpen heat from Jose Lima and Chad Qualls. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Not knowing the modern analytics of old timers, the $2 row all seems like extreme value (assuming pre-coke Caminiti). Oswalt for $3 is probably good as an ace on top of Pettite, Niekro, and Reynolds. Give me Bourn and Doran, then fill out the rest of the positions with $0 dudes like Tony Eusebio, Carl “fake dinosaurs” Everett, Richard Hidalgo, Mike Lamb and some Casa Olé bullpen heat from Jose Lima and Chad Qualls. 

327766.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

15 Evan Gattis are gonna wreck the fuck out of your shitty team 

At some point there is a reason no one is hiring Espada as their manager.  He has had numerous  interviews with teams since 2019 and no one is biting.  That should be a red flag.  

Cubs, A's, Giants, Blue Jays, Rangers, Angels, Mets are the ones I know of

I want a full blown search when Dusty leaves...if Espada comes out as top candidate then fine.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

in one of the twitter threads where i saw that tiger offer (schwab maybe?) there was mention that "the astros are still in it" and "crane would go 6 years and a lot higher aav" which is kinda what we've been saying all along.  6-250 is my guess for something he'd actually take.  i think that's a pretty dramatic overpay but it's not my money and i don't know what other moves we'd make with that money.

In the first game of the season and be like "fuck!, we suck again"

“Looks like Mez2 is signaling to the bullpen…what’s this, he’s calling his own number. (One minute delay while mez2 runs to the bullpen and chugs a White Claw)…Here he is heading out to the mound.”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ERhine said:

“Looks like Mez2 is signaling to the bullpen…what’s this, he’s calling his own number. (One minute delay while mez2 runs to the bullpen and chugs a White Claw)…Here he is heading out to the mound.”

Is this an option? 

• Like 1