2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

33 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If Crane signs off on 3 years/$120 fucking million then some $8M/year commitment to someone else ain’t gonna make a bit of difference.

Also, your relationship with Click is starting to border on unhealthy.

I’m not even saying that should be the deal, just that it could possibly be one. 
Miya not just that deal. It’s wasting the money on Odo (and I hated that and was on record before the ink dried), it’s the shifty Baez deal, it’s this turd of a contract.  It’s paying more than he should have for Brantley to be our 7th most important bat- and meanwhile going cheap on Springer- the heartbeat of our franchise and Correa, the cornerstone/face two years in a row. It’s penny wise and pound foolish. 
I store up all the angst you people have over Texas head football coach and use it on the Astros GM. 
hell- just sign McHugh. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

You know that they’re basing all their contracts/offers/player valuations/roster construction on a WAR/$$ projection. If they think that Pena is about a 10-15 win player over the next 5 seasons, during which time they won’t be paying him jack shit…well, they’re going to like that ratio and factor that into the calculus as they figure out what to offer CC. It gives them payroll flexibility, etc. Same with the CF situation and Springer last year (and through year 1, they are right so far). I’m not saying it’s my preference, but that’s the formula and I get the logic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not even saying that should be the deal, just that it could possibly be one. 
Miya not just that deal. It’s wasting the money on Odo (and I hated that and was on record before the ink dried), it’s the shifty Baez deal, it’s this turd of a contract.  It’s paying more than he should have for Brantley to be our 7th most important bat- and meanwhile going cheap on Springer- the heartbeat of our franchise and Correa, the cornerstone/face two years in a row. It’s penny wise and pound foolish. 
I store up all the angst you people have over Texas head football coach and use it on the Astros GM. 
hell- just sign McHugh. 

And I’d argue that if we sign Springer and not Brantley, then we don’t make the playoffs last season. And you’re conveniently leaving out signing Lance to probably the most team friendly pitching contract in the entire league.

Here’s the rub: there is zero percent chance Luhnow would have resigned Springer. None. Zilch. I’d argue it’s similar for Correa. You claim Click sucks for focusing on the bullpen because it’s easy to do during the season while citing last year as an example without a hint of irony. (What he did to the arm barn is honestly unlike any one year transformation I can remember.) It honestly seems your entire position on the man hinges on signing Odorizzi after our projected opening day starter injured himself less than a month before the season started. Sure that ended up being a less than ideal signing, but I do not think it was as indefensible as you seem to think. Your passion is admirable, but I’d recommend letting the entire offseason play out before you jump.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You know that they’re basing all their contracts/offers/player valuations/roster construction on a WAR/$$ projection. If they think that Pena is about a 10-15 win player over the next 5 seasons, during which time they won’t be paying him jack shit…well, they’re going to like that ratio and factor that into the calculus as they figure out what to offer CC. It gives them payroll flexibility, etc. Same with the CF situation and Springer last year (and through year 1, they are right so far). I’m not saying it’s my preference, but that’s the formula and I get the logic. 

Sure- keep trading a dollar for 3 quarters and eventually you won’t have to worry about winning World Series. How long do y’all think this window stays open?  It’s 5 years- tops. Years 6-10 on the Correa deal will have fuck all to do with hamstringing this team from competitiveness and I will be willing to bet anyone here and now that Correa will still be a damn good player 6 years from now (and 8 years, and 9 years and I will also bet anyone who wants that he will over perform his contract on a dollar per WAR basis. 
But, 5 or 6 war player on a contending team is sooooo much more valuable than having 3 guys at 1.5-2 WAR each. There‘s nothing more valuable than a roster spot on a contending team. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But, 5 or 6 war player on a contending team is sooooo much more valuable than having 3 guys at 1.5-2 WAR each. There‘s nothing more valuable than a roster spot on a contending team. 

This is true, but they know this too, and it’s baked in. At least that is what I’ve decided to believe. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

And I’d argue that if we sign Springer and not Brantley, then we don’t make the playoffs last season. And you’re conveniently leaving out signing Lance to probably the most team friendly pitching contract in the entire league.

Here’s the rub: there is zero percent chance Luhnow would have resigned Springer. None. Zilch. I’d argue it’s similar for Correa. You claim Click sucks for focusing on the bullpen because it’s easy to do during the season while citing last year as an example without a hint of irony. (What he did to the arm barn is honestly unlike any one year transformation I can remember.) It honestly seems your entire position on the man hinges on signing Odorizzi after our projected opening day starter injured himself less than a month before the season started. Sure that ended up being a less than ideal signing, but I do not think it was as indefensible as you seem to think. Your passion is admirable, but I’d recommend letting the entire offseason play out before you jump.

Brantley had 2.5 WAR. Springer had 2.4 War in about 60% of the AB’s.  We’d have been way better off with Springer than Brantley provided we could get replacement level production (ours was better) out of that spot in the delta of missed games. And we’d have been way better off in the playoffs with George than Uncle Mike. Like, not even close. 

And yes- your point is taken that I’m like the kid who is convinced Christmas is going to suck 30 minutes into the day after waking up when all we’ve done is open stocking stuffer presents. 
I’m a fanatic. I spend 5 figures a year on this shit. I   Spend probably upwards of 1,000 hours a year watching, reading, talking about and thinking about this shit. I’m not rational in how much primacy this has in my life. 

• Like 2

I’m a fanatic. I spend 5 figures a year on this shit. I   Spend probably upwards of 1,000 hours a year watching, reading, talking about and thinking about this shit. I’m not rational in how much primacy this has in my life. 

It’s all love brother, even in the disagreements. Talking with fans like you make following this shit fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And yes- your point is taken that I’m like the kid who is convinced Christmas is going to suck 30 minutes into the day after waking up when all we’ve done is open stocking stuffer presents. 

I mean, being an Astros fan will do that to you my man. The last 5 years have been a blast, but the 40 before that happened too (if you’re around my age).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

whoa whoa whoa, springer is better than brantley?  get the fuck out.

How about this… Springer equals Brantley plus Odo salary wise. It was a stupid off-season unforced error last year to say you couldn’t afford George, now, the same thing is playing out in real time again. 
 that was in response to Chuckie saying if we went with Springer instead of Brantley we might have missed the playoffs. 
There was zero doubt you had room to keep one of Carlos and George (both if you let JV walk) yet… we shall see how this off-season ends up. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

How about this… Springer equals Brantley plus Odo salary wise. It was a stupid off-season unforced error last year to say you couldn’t afford George, now, the same thing is playing out in real time again. 
 that was in response to Chuckie saying if we went with Springer instead of Brantley we might have missed the playoffs. 
There was zero doubt you had room to keep one of Carlos and George (both if you let JV walk) yet… we shall see how this off-season ends up. 

To be clear, Springer is absolutely the FAR better player. But I stand by my stance that an injured Springer and 80 games of Straw/Chas/Tucker in the OF doesn’t get us to the playoffs last season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Seems like a lot for a 31 year old player who has had 2 good years. The rest of his career has been the definition of average. 

rangers are hoping he has a great year  3 or so, he’ll be easy to dump on the Yankees 

Edited by tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

And if he has a career altering injury in year two of that three year deal, he left $120 million on the table.

And if he doesn’t he makes way more money that way. 
the thing is getting 120 sets him for life and he can roll the dice hunting more. It’s why the team should always try to lock up young guys as soon as possible for as long as possible. 
but if I’m the Astros I’d be happy to give him 8/240 with an opt out at 3 years for 120 of it gets him to sign. That’s essentially the strategy they used for JV. 

58 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Also cross Arlington off as a suitor for Correa. So it’s us who don’t want to give him an 8 year deal, Detroit who doesn’t want to blow the budget, maybe Yankees, maybe Dodgers?

Phillies, Twins, and Angels are dark horses.  I don’t think the Rangers are totally out either.

Favorites: Tigers, Yankees

In the mix: Rangers, Astros

Mystery teams: Phillies, Mariners, Cardinals, Twins, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins