2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I just can’t believe that rumor about the Stros ghosting Correa. If that’s true then they would have already lost this locker room, or at least a few leaders. 

This sucks. 

I agree. The Astros seem to have a good relationship with Boras and it would be a huge mistake to piss him off. 

Edited by TonyTexas

I just can’t believe that rumor about the Stros ghosting Correa. If that’s true then they would have already lost this locker room, or at least a few leaders. 
This sucks. 
This is the big issue to me. ABC are bros for life. And you can add Lance to that. Ghosting Carlos (if true) may not sit well with Altuve, Bregman, or Lance.

Yeah, a 3/$105mm deal, or anything in that vicinity, would seem to be exactly what the Astros wanted.

Only thing that makes sense is that CC’s camp made it clear that any short deal would have to include player options, no trade, etc. And perhaps the club isn’t willing to do that. And maybe the “ghosting” was the club actually taking a hard line about giving in to those contract demands.

I guess the other possibility is that the club wanted it to appear that they wanted CC (but really didn’t want him back for whatever reason) and then, when it became apparent he could be had for fewer than 5 years, they ignored him so he’d sign elsewhere. This seems much less likely to me.

Im talking out of my ass, so who knows, but I have to think the first of these scenarios seems more likely.

all the opt-outs are hinky.  if he kicks ass this year, he plays the market again (probably does it on the dl late in the season thru boras back channels) and you're right back where you started.  if he plays shitty or (more likely) gets hurt, then you're stuck with him for 1-2 more years at a high cost. 

that's probably why the one-year contract rumors were out there - it's the only way this benefits both the player and the team.  otherwise it is lose-lose.  at what point during a .500 season are you rooting for correa to slump if you're a twins fan? 

he can be the ringmaster of this circus for the next 3 years, but not with us following the elephants with a shovel.  no thanks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, texashorne said:

I'd pause before believing this shit. the media knew nothing through this whole process.. For months, the Twins never came up, and 3 year contract certainly never came up. 

If you ask me this is a just another media guy punishing the Astros FO for not giving him any information, so now the smear campaign is on. 

Exactly right.

Granato isn't exactly Berman, he's run with some b.s. previously and shown his ass, and Schwab is a wannabe reporter chasing clout on twitter. Both are being bozos here imo. I don't believe this story for a second, but I definitely believe CC never intended to return to the Astros. He wanted out all along, the writing has been on the wall for months if not years.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Player option and we go thru all this bs again next off season. Pass 

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

all the opt-outs are hinky.  if he kicks ass this year, he plays the market again (probably does it on the dl late in the season thru boras back channels) and you're right back where you started.  if he plays shitty or (more likely) gets hurt, then you're stuck with him for 1-2 more years at a high cost. 

that's probably why the one-year contract rumors were out there - it's the only way this benefits both the player and the team.  otherwise it is lose-lose.  at what point during a .500 season are you rooting for correa to slump if you're a twins fan? 

he can be the ringmaster of this circus for the next 3 years, but not with us following the elephants with a shovel.  no thanks.

I don't get this argument at all.  Dealing with that is worth the chance for one more healthy Correa playoff run.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Seems like with a shortened spring training following a long lockout, you might want to play guys that actually have a chance of making the roster or appearing in the majors at some point this year. I can see playing AAA fill-in types/bench guys for the first couple of games, but the guys taking the field this weekend seem to be destined for extended spring training/low A. 

On another note, I'm not particularly salty about the Correa situation and understand if the opt outs were a non-starter for us. That said, I do think it's pretty weak that Crane and Click were no-shows at camp yesterday. Hiding from reporters after a superstar fan favorite leaves is a puss move.

Edited by Storm the Field

Seems like with a shortened spring training following a long lockout, you might want to play guys that actually have a chance of making the roster or appearing in the majors at some point this year.

Na they ain't got time for that

https://instagram.com/stories/el_yuly10/2798115411870029799?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

6 hours ago, WBT said:

I don't get this argument at all.  Dealing with that is worth the chance for one more healthy Correa playoff run.

It's about what you prioritize. For you, the chance to win one more is worth the risk of two bad years following.  That's basically playing for one year of big success. The Astros mindset is to play for longer term sustained success.  No right or wrong, just different priorities.  They are also trying to make money, not necessarily win championships.

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Story to the Sawks 6/140. Pena time it is.

That’s not a ton of money at 23 per year. We could have easily done that. I’m glad we didn’t we I think Story is a coors field creation that’s going to suck elsewhere and not be someone you even particularly want to hit at the top of the lineup, so my supposition is the Astros felt the same way about him that I do. 
Also- wonder if this means Boston isn’t going to be interested in extending/signing Boegarts. 

19 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Any arms still out there worth spending some money on, since we didn't spend it on SS? Starter or pen would be OK with me. 

I don’t get this… where would you even pencil in a starter. Even with LMJ down we have 6 guys that have proven to be at least average at the MLB level as starters and 3 or 4 guys knocking on the door that need a shot. I mean, if the argument is pay Scherzer $43 million per year so we have the biggest badass TOR guy around cool- I get that. But if Odorizzi is your floor (and I believe he is) you are in really good shape with your rotation and adding anything is just kind of overkill. 
Long winded way of saying- no- there aren’t any FA arms currently unsigned that would in any meaningful way advance our cause of winning another title, not that are likely to be needed to win our division. 
Michael Pineda/Danny Duffy probably best two arms currently on the market. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also- wonder if this means Boston isn’t going to be interested in extending/signing Boegarts.

He’s signed through 2026 at $20M/yr. He does have an opt out after this season, which he’ll probably exercise. That’s why Story is a good signing for Boston. He’ll play 2B this year and probably slide over to SS next year. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s signed through 2026 at $20M/yr. He does have an opt out after this season, which he’ll probably exercise. That’s why Story is a good signing for Boston. He’ll play 2B this year and probably slide over to SS next year. 

Yeah- I’m absolutely assuming he ops out which is why I said I wonder if that means they aren’t trying to retain him. If they let him leave for Story I think they are getting worse. Which I’m obviously in favor of them getting worse.

So I guess Baltimore’s offer was bullshit. Not surprised. They’re stuck in last place in the AL East for the foreseeable future. There’s no point of having a franchise player at this time. 

I’d like to see the Astros sign a good bat/outfielder in the $10-12 million. Basically Soler on Soler’s current contract. 

I guess Whitley is LMJ insurance. 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we matched the money and years but said no to the no trade language.

why would we give a shit about no-trade language?  especially on a 1-3 year deal?  we wouldn't sign him just to trade him.

also yes, bogearts is def gone after this year.  might end up kinda fucking correa next offseason lol.

and @Wulaw Horn i think duffy could be an interesting weapon if used properly.  would not mind that at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

why would we give a shit about no-trade language?  especially on a 1-3 year deal?  we wouldn't sign him just to trade him.

also yes, bogearts is def gone after this year.  might end up kinda fucking correa next offseason lol.

and @Wulaw Horn i think duffy could be an interesting weapon if used properly.  would not mind that at all.

Because if for some reason we sucked in 2023 we would want the freedom to trade him to a team of our choosing.

Yeah. The limited and no trade clauses weren’t the issue. It’s the opt-out clauses that they didn’t like. And neither do I. They are one-sided in the player’s favor.   If the player has a good year then he’s gone for a longer and/or bigger contract. If he sucks or gets injured, you’re stuck with him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah. The limited and no trade clauses weren’t the issue. It’s the opt-out clauses that they didn’t like. And neither do I. They are one-sided in the player’s favor.   If the player has a good year then he’s gone for a longer and/or bigger contract. If he sucks or gets injured, you’re stuck with him. 

Well yeah.  If you don't want to do that you have to bump up the money.  But I'd rather have Correa for 1 year with the possibility he opts out after that definitely not have him at all.  And the downside risk for the twins is still less than ours would be on our 5 year offer.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Soler would have been a nice add. Need a good bat/outfielder in the worst way. 

Depending on price I think Conforto would be a great fit for the Astros.  Could be serviceable in CF this season and serve as another excellent bat to lengthen the lineup, and he hits lefty so he’d balance the lineup out.  If he signed a multiyear deal he’d be a great replacement for Brantley after this season.  Id be happy to see him sign with Houston for $18M/1yr plus incentives and probably would be willing to give him anything up to $90M/5yr.

Edited by Snake Diggity

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Depending on price I think Conforto would be a great fit for the Astros.

Was there a specific reason besides just an off-year that his 2021 was so poor? He was a monster in 2020 and damn good in 2017-19

Edited by TonyTexas