2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

On 3/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, Storm the Field said:

McTaggart doesn't expect us to make any notable additions.  

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-questions-ahead-of-2022-season

TL;DR:

Correa won't be back. Pena could possibly make OD roster, but Stros may primarily rely on Diaz at SS and possibly pick up a replacement level veteran on a minimum contract (mentions Goodrum or Adrianza, woof).

Nothing worth mentioning in the OF. Brantley, Tucker, and Chas/Siri it is. Another area where you might pick up just another guy for cheap to fill out the bench until Meyers returns.

Would imagine things are on hold pending a Correa resolution, but so far this has held up depressingly well. 

• Rage+1 1

Carlos definitely has a 300+ offer. Check. 

I wanted to sign Bryant for 8/180. Some thought that was way more than he would get. He got his 180, but over 7 years (and a little north of 180 at that). That surprised me- I really didn’t think he’d crack the 25 AAV unless he went 4 years or less. 

I can’t imagine Carlos wanting to play on Baltimore for 10 years for that team/organization. I guess I can see why he’s open to the short term deal (or long term with a short term opt out I suppose). 

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What is you talking about?  You got some inside information about correa?  I’m like an addict over here. 

5 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

You’re taking the leap? emoji38.png

Spill it, vato.

5 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Elaborate please

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Correa - one year deal with a giant price tag. If it doesn’t happen, it’s due to something batshit crazy at the end. Some may remember as far back as Hornfans, but my guy has been there since McMullan. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

medium/long deal with opt-outs would've been fine, but a one-year deal doesn't excite me.

assuming ~$45mm or something stupid.

either way, let's fucking do this.

also lol john mcmullen.

Astros are more protected by a 1 year as opposed to a 5 or 6 with one year opt out. I’d have preferred something like 5/190 with an opt out after 2/80 million if it had to have an opt out, but whatever- we match correa and JV both in a walk year, Uncle Mike comes off the books next year and we have some 88 million to spend. That’s not the end of the world I suppose. 

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

medium/long deal with opt-outs would've been fine, but a one-year deal doesn't excite me.

assuming ~$45mm or something stupid.

either way, let's fucking do this.

also lol john mcmullen.

agreed, give him a massive 3-year deal and let him hit FA again before his 30th bday.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Astros are more protected by a 1 year as opposed to a 5 or 6 with one year opt out. I’d have preferred something like 5/190 with an opt out after 2/80 million if it had to have an opt out, but whatever- we match correa and JV both in a walk year, Uncle Mike comes off the books next year and we have some 88 million to spend. That’s not the end of the world I suppose. 

all good points.  i guess my dream scenario was for a 6 year deal with opt-outs at 2 and 4 to match our window with the other guys, but you're right - this does protect us more and gives pena a year to see what's what.  doubt the market will look much different in a year and doubt we're involved at that point anyway.

get to work on deals for tuck and yordan.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

all good points.  i guess my dream scenario was for a 6 year deal with opt-outs at 2 and 4 to match our window with the other guys, but you're right - this does protect us more and gives pena a year to see what's what.  doubt the market will look much different in a year and doubt we're involved at that point anyway.

get to work on deals for tuck and yordan.

Yeah- I mean a one year deal with Correa kind of feels like not getting any deal done, like any truly special talent we have is just going to walk out the door and we won’t ever be in the market for signing game breakers in FA or keeping our own guys, unless it’s a goofy situation. 

I would love to be proven wrong with a 7/150 for Tucker and a 7 for 125 for Yordan (I think that buys out 2 FA years for each- right?  We still have both guys for another 5 years? Or is it only 4? I know neither are super twos, so that should make squeezing that extra couple years of FA easier. Lunhow was a diabolical genius.  The point is that the goal should be to buy out all their arbitration and 2 years of FA for a total AAV around 20 (higher for Tucker than Alvarez because Tucker owns a glove/doesn’t have as many injury red flags) 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- I mean a one year deal with Correa kind of feels like not getting any deal done, like any truly special talent we have is just going to walk out the door and we won’t ever be in the market for signing game breakers in FA or keeping our own guys, unless it’s a goofy situation. 

I would love to be proven wrong with a 7/150 for Tucker and a 7 for 125 for Yordan (I think that buys out 2 FA years for each- right?  We still have both guys for another 5 years? Or is it only 4? I know neither are super twos, so that should make squeezing that extra couple years of FA easier. Lunhow was a diabolical genius.  The point is that the goal should be to buy out all their arbitration and 2 years of FA for a total AAV around 20 (higher for Tucker than Alvarez because Tucker owns a glove/doesn’t have as many injury red flags) 

They aren't getting 7 years from the Astros, either.

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They aren't getting 7 years from the Astros, either.

Sorry- that should be 6 to buy out 2 years of FA
and you don’t know that they wouldn’t do that. The 5 year deal often quoted (is so stupid but I’m not going to get into that) isn’t for any contract it’s for FA. It’s different when you are talking about a 25 year old already on your roster.  If they wanted 7 from Tucker they’d probably have to go 175 million or so since he’s only got 1 more freebie year.  That’s more money than he’d likely make if he went year to year- but that would put his FA wall year from 28-31 so you’d have to overpay him for that I’d think. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sorry- that should be 6 to buy out 2 years of FA
and you don’t know that they wouldn’t do that. The 5 year deal often quoted (is so stupid but I’m not going to get into that) isn’t for any contract it’s for FA. It’s different when you are talking about a 25 year old already on your roster.  If they wanted 7 from Tucker they’d probably have to go 175 million or so since he’s only got 1 more freebie year.  That’s more money than he’d likely make if he went year to year- but that would put his FA wall year from 28-31 so you’d have to overpay him for that I’d think. 

They are both free agents in 2026. I don't see the Astros offering anything that will pay them past 2030. 

I mean at this point there can't be any thing else to discuss. The offers are all out there.

Either Correa just doesn't want to fuck with a full spring training, or him and Boras are hoping someone gets hurt I guess.

1 yr 43 mil sign it and get to work motherfucker

Just now, Scraps said:

I mean at this point there can't be any thing else to discuss. The offers are all out there.

Either Correa just doesn't want to fuck with a full spring training, or him and Boras are hoping someone gets hurt I guess.

he's had a horrible free agent off season. hopefully it gives him a kick in the ass for one more season with us 

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

$300 million is hard to turn down.

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Correa - one year deal with a giant price tag. If it doesn’t happen, it’s due to something batshit crazy at the end. Some may remember as far back as Hornfans, but my guy has been there since McMullan. 

Are you the same dude that said we were going to trade Correa for Luis Castillo at the end of 2019?