2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Love the pitch clock especially if it's 15 seconds.  Everyone who saw that in the minor leagues say it was revolutionary and made the game more fun and exciting.  A 2:30 or 2:45 minute baseball game with a box score like:

Visitor   3 7 0

Home    5 11 0

is just about perfect.  A 1-0 or 2-1 game that ends in 2:20 minutes gets me hard.  If I have a 3 hour game that goes 11- 9 I'm pretty pumped about that too. I'm just sick of leaving the ball park with a score  of 7-3 at the 7th inning stretch because it's already 9:45 and I've got to get home so I can go to work the next day. 

Bigger bases- why do we need this- is it a safety issue?  Is it so we can see a few more infield hits or stolen bases? Some other reason I'm missing?

I'm fine with banning the shift. It seems like it would make life more fair for LHH to get rid of the rover out there in short right. The details are important. I assume that this will mean everyone has to play on the dirt in the infield, and you can basically stand on top of 2B but you can't go to the left or right of it as you begin your positioning before contact is made? Or before the pitch is thrown?

Seems to me like the union should ban the shift just fine. The hitters hate it.  Quite a few pitchers still bitch about it.  What do we need to ban the fucker simple majority of union vote? 2/3?  3/4?

I’ve slowly come around on implementing some restrictions on the shift.  I used to think that hitters should just adjust to “hit ‘em where they ain’t”, but left handed hitters are forced to adjust more than right-handed hitters, which is inherently unfair.  I’m now for implementing a rule that all infielders must be on the infield dirt when the pitch is thrown. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’ve slowly come around on implementing some restrictions on the shift.  I used to think that hitters should just adjust to “hit ‘em where they ain’t”, but left handed hitters are forced to adjust more than right-handed hitters, which is inherently unfair.  I’m now for implementing a rule that all infielders must be on the infield dirt when the pitch is thrown. 

Yep. I think this is best. We already have rules for where guys need to be lined up (on field, in fair territory, not over the fence, etc., so this doesn’t seem unreasonable, doesn’t seem like a gimmick, and I think it would bring more action and maybe reduce time between hitters somewhat. Not a big deal but marginally better I think. 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Don’t come to Minute Maid hungry or thirsty. The concessions are a complete joke. They can’t handle the crowd for this college tournament, lord help us on opening day 

Ha. Have you been to the Houston Rodeo?

The cashless nonsense is a covid relic and needs to go. 

It’s not hard people. Cash line and a credit card line. it’s worked well for decades. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ha. Have you been to the Houston Rodeo?

The cashless nonsense is a covid relic and needs to go. 

It’s not hard people. Cash line and a credit card line. it’s worked well for decades. 

what they had open was over whelmed. They need more bathrooms. Get rid of refills on popcorn and soda, clogs up lines. More walk Up and self serve stations 

On 3/3/2022 at 5:26 PM, petscii said:

If you are banning the shift are you banning the infield ones too?  So they have to be on position at the pitch?

Pitchers can only throw fast balls.

Other pitches are just too damned deceptive.

JC on a Christmas cracker, the banning of the shift pisses me off.  End the hack a (Shaq) in hoops to close games and the trap block  play in football while we're at it.

If such an extreme strategy is employed against an individual, it' up to them to make the opponent pay.

Let's just stop keeping score.  It's an unfair advantage to the stronger hitting team.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Pitchers can only throw fast balls.

Other pitches are just too damned deceptive.

JC on a Christmas cracker, the banning of the shift pisses me off.  End the hack a (Shaq) in hoops to close games and the trap block  play in football while we're at it.

If such an extreme strategy is employed against an individual, it' up to them to make the opponent pay.

Let's just stop keeping score.  It's an unfair advantage to the stronger hitting team.

I used to agree with this, but then thought about why you never hear Robert Ford say “three players in a triangle on the left side.”   It’s because of the unique nature of the 1B position.  He has to stay close enough to get back to the bag for putouts.   No one else has that restriction.  Because of this restriction, teams can shift to the right side with less penalty than shifting to the left side.  This creates an unfair disadvantage to left handed hitters, and that doesn’t sit well with me.  

Keep the infielders on the infield grass and remove the rover that takes away line drive hits to the OF.  Except against Joey Gallo, because fuck Joey Gallo.  

bat right handed then...

i don't want to hear it.  Play better.  Make the opponent pay.  That's  been what competition is about.

If you're truly worried about 'fairness" then put a gotdam tee on home plate.

Edited by slorch

16 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I used to agree with this, but then thought about why you never hear Robert Ford say “three players in a triangle on the left side.”   It’s because of the unique nature of the 1B position.  He has to stay close enough to get back to the bag for putouts.   No one else has that restriction.  Because of this restriction, teams can shift to the right side with less penalty than shifting to the left side.  This creates an unfair disadvantage to left handed hitters, and that doesn’t sit well with me.  

Keep the infielders on the infield grass and remove the rover that takes away line drive hits to the OF.  Except against Joey Gallo, because fuck Joey Gallo.  

Hey, man, they're two steps closer to first

• Hook 'Em 1