2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

On 3/19/2022 at 4:35 PM, texashorne said:

I'd pause before believing this shit. the media knew nothing through this whole process.. For months, the Twins never came up, and 3 year contract certainly never came up. 

If you ask me this is a just another media guy punishing the Astros FO for not giving him any information, so now the smear campaign is on. 

ghosting confirmed by Correa. I’m sorry, that just sucks and is a black mark on Click and Crane. Luhnow would not have let that happen.

55 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

ghosting confirmed by Correa. I’m sorry, that just sucks and is a black mark on Click and Crane. Luhnow would not have let that happen.

the general consensus seems to be that once boras floated all the opt-out talks in our direction we said no thanks.  so yeah, maybe we "ghosted" him down the stretch, but we also made our intentions clear, if the multiple sources on it are accurate.

both of those statements can be true at the same time, and i'm fine with how this was handled.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the general consensus seems to be that once boras floated all the opt-out talks in our direction we said no thanks.  so yeah, maybe we "ghosted" him down the stretch, but we also made our intentions clear, if the multiple sources on it are accurate.

both of those statements can be true at the same time, and i'm fine with how this was handled.

wasn't the astros contract offered before he signed on with boras ?

does that make a difference on which agent gets a cut ?

I'm not buying the "ghosted" narrative. Frankly, it doesn't serve either party here. I think that is made up drama by the media and I'm not a 'fuck the media' guy at all. I don't hear Boras or CC pushing that narrative. There is inherent tension in these negotiations. The Astros didn't want to lose Correa and I don't think Correa wanted to leave Houston. Correa needed to maximize his value and some other team was willing to take more of a risk on that value than the Astros. That's it. No one did anything wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

wasn't the astros contract offered before he signed on with boras ?

does that make a difference on which agent gets a cut ?

my point wasn't really about who gets what, but my basic understanding is that his former reps were entertaining 'all' offers before he left them, therefore any deals that happened under boras would go towards the former reps.  that said, if he opts out after 1 year in minny, then boras gets 100% of the next deal.

I have never pegged Correa as untruthful, but just in that story where he said he is thinking long term and trying to build a contender....bull fucking shit bro. He is opting out next season if he doesn't have an injury or shitastic year.

So if he is bullshitting about that then no telling what else he is bullshitting about

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I have never pegged Correa as untruthful, but just in that story where he said he is thinking long term and trying to build a contender....bull fucking shit bro. He is opting out next season if he doesn't have an injury or shitastic year.

So if he is bullshitting about that then no telling what else he is bullshitting about

You gotta be able to tell the difference between coach/player speak and anything of substance.  The whole "build a contender" thing is what he has to say. I wouldn't even call it dishonest, because implied in that is:  "If they pay me max value for a long-term deal." Correa is going to try to make the most money possible, regardless what team will pay it to him. As he should.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

over the past several years, yuli as much as anyone, has shown the ability to put this entire offense on his back for weeks (if not months) at a time.  great to see he's in shape and swinging a nice bat already.

but will bregman still call him - el viejo gordo ?

You gotta be able to tell the difference between coach/player speak and anything of substance.  The whole "build a contender" thing is what he has to say. I wouldn't even call it dishonest, because implied in that is:  "If they pay me max value for a long-term deal." Correa is going to try to make the most money possible, regardless what team will pay it to him. As he should.
He doesn't have to say shit. The money is already in his bank if he wants it

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Yuli just crushed a HR. Saw today that he said he shed about 15 lbs of fat during the offseason, primarily by "cutting out cokes and pizzas."

How you can be a 57 year old athlete and figure out cokes and pizza are bad for you is pretty mind blowing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

As this was on an Astros thread and spring training just started my first though was- cool- we’ve got a split squad game tonight- ranger to here how Greinke is looking, and then I remembered and got a little sad. 
that’s not an argument we should have brought him back (we shouldn’t) that’s just me being sad bc Greinke was a lot of fun to have around and I will miss him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pablo said:

yeah, moving along.  not a fan of these guys like Schwab and DuBose on twitter fueling the fire

agreed, they look like giant twats right now considering how the tea leaves long ago predicted CC was always looking for a big FA deal out of Htown......

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agreed, (1) it doesn’t matter, it’s done, (2) we’ll probably never really know what the real/whole story was, and (3) I’m so exhausted by lazy baseball writers quadrupling down on tired drama stories, trying to squeeze more and more juice out of the same lemon. 

Schwab isn't even in media anymore. He works in marketing for Christian Brother's, while trying to make a podcast with his brothers a thing. He once worked for Politico, which is how he got a verified twitter. Like I said, I would take anything he says with a giant grain of salt. Granato knows things, he's been in the Houston sports scene for over 20 years. Must of the stuff I get from Garner comes from Granato.

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Schwab isn't even in media anymore. He works in marketing for Christian Brother's, while trying to make a podcast with his brothers a thing. He once worked for Politico, which is how he got a verified twitter. Like I said, I would take anything he says with a giant grain of salt. Granato knows things, he's been in the Houston sports scene for over 20 years. Must of the stuff I get from Garner comes from Granato.

and Rome is a pussy bitch who even though is the beat writer for the Chron for them, he seems to hate them because they hurt his bitch ass feelings when they don't give him the answers he wants.  So I wouldn't believe everything he says either because he has butthurt towards the club constantly 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Scraps said:

I never believed that is back injury was caused from a massage.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

and Rome is a pussy bitch who even though is the beat writer for the Chron for them, he seems to hate them because they hurt his bitch ass feelings when they don't give him the answers he wants.  So I wouldn't believe everything he says either because he has butthurt towards the club constantly 

That little sniveltwat is Drellich 2.0

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agreed, (1) it doesn’t matter, it’s done, (2) we’ll probably never really know what the real/whole story was, and (3) I’m so exhausted by lazy baseball writers quadrupling down on tired drama stories, trying to squeeze more and more juice out of the same lemon. 

when life gives you lemons, call jim crane a cheap bastard.

• Haha 1

Lulz. This is an actual Correa’s quote about what he told a reluctant Daniella about moving to Minneapolis  

“Babe,” Correa told his wife, “what do we do on a daily basis when we’re in the middle of the season? We watch movies, we go eat at restaurants and now we take care of the baby.

“Every city in the United States has that, so wherever we go, it will be fine. When we put it into perspective, she saw it like that, and was like ‘I guess you’re right.’ Wherever life takes us, we’re going to be ready to go out there and help the team win.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Lulz. This is an actual Correa’s quote about what he told a reluctant Daniella about moving to Minneapolis  

I mean, that is eleventy billion percent true, but also funny as fuck.  Something tells me that won't be in their next chamber of commerce missive.  

21 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Alright.  There's a MLB thread to discuss Correa going forward.  This thread is about the offseason for the 2022 World Series Champion Houston Astros.

You can go over there and hang out with helobious, beau vine and shadow_operative 2.0. I’m fine right here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

translation - listen baby, minneapolis is a great place to spend the next 4 to 6 months while you form a close, long-lasting friendship with mrs boras.