2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Marion and Sark also have a lot of schematic differences in the offenses they run. I don't think from a scheme perspective it really works but Marion isn't being hired here for that reason. 

Sarks comments after the K state game were interesting he said “I’ve never majored in wildcat but we have the personnel to make that a big part of our offense moving forward” I bet Marion’s Go-Go could be used in the wildcat stuff. Sark could give him that portion of the O, if he wanted to

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Actually I think it is an interesting marriage. TE blocking has been hurting the Texas offense for years. Bringing in someone with a deep understand of 2 back sets might actually bring in some wrinkles that help the offense. 

And we need to recruit whoever ND recruits at TE lol we shouldn’t offer unless they have a ND offer hahaha

50 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What players did Harris lose us that aggy didn’t payoff?  Anderson?

We were in line for a dozen more “at least the Longhorn made the top 3 edit” moral victories and a 20-25 ranked class (maybe a bit higher due to bread) before nearly every recruiting rival had major coaching changes and sources outside our AD announced NIL deals. 

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Sucks that Harris will return, but hopefully they hold him more accountable this year. 

He needs to be gone next year if he doesn’t substantially improve though. 

Its Texas. Looks like Sark will upgrade RB and WR recruiting with new hires, so it is impossible to ask for an improvement in the back office. There is only so much good news allowed for Texas fans. 

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

TE should improve next season if Billingley transfers here. He was a good player under Sark. 

This led me down an old TE hole… To the surprise of no one, Major Tennison got buried in basement of the depth chart. Supposedly he’s an elite holder though. That one-two punch of Tennison/Irv Smith was going to be incredible 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Sucks that Harris will return, but hopefully they hold him more accountable this year. 

He needs to be gone next year if he doesn’t substantially improve though. 

This helps with Manning, Cook, and Owens so it’s not absolutely horrible. I hope he continues to improve and learn from his mistakes.
I still think that whole apparatus is getting revamped though. We will add multiple staff positions. The crazy thing is at Bama their coaches don’t recruit players. They have a person like Harris assigned to every position coach and he or she talks to all of the recruits on behalf of the coach. And before the player visits campus the staff member catches the coach up to speed on what they’d been discussing and what the player likes ect. It’s really badass because it frees the coaches to focus more on coaching and building better relationships with current players.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This helps with Manning, Cook, and Owens so it’s not absolutely horrible. I hope he continues to improve and learn from his mistakes.
I still think that whole apparatus is getting revamped though. We will add multiple staff positions. The crazy thing is at Bama their coaches don’t recruit players. They have a person like Harris assigned to every position coach and he or she talks to all of the recruits on behalf of the coach. And before the player visits campus the staff member catches the coach up to speed on what they’d been discussing and what the player likes ect. It’s really badass because it frees the coaches to focus more on coaching and building better relationships with current players.

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Keeping Harris is a surprise but our recruiting will be fine especially now that we’re bringing in baller recruiters at RB and (hopefully) WR coach. 

The actual bad omen with Sark is IF he doesn’t make any changes on defense. Patterson may be enough but there absolutely has to be some kind of change there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Not sure if sark has a big ego or not but it would seem that Marion’s schematic impact would depend on that. At the very least adding his creativity with Sarks force multiplier concepts seems like this will be a fantastic marriage.

Marion wouldn’t change the core scheme, nor should he, but he’d likely install a GoGo package of plays that add a nice additional wrinkle for defenses to worry about.

As for the hire, I’m getting the feeling it’s Marion but they’re waiting for after the bowl game to announce. Pure speculation of course 

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Keeping Harris is a surprise but our recruiting will be fine especially now that we’re bringing in baller recruiters at RB and (hopefully) WR coach. 

The actual bad omen with Sark is IF he doesn’t make any changes on defense. Patterson may be enough but there absolutely has to be some kind of change there. 

I totally get your sentiment and I go back and forth on that myself. But Kansas, yikes! It’s just so hard to get a good read on anything when our personnel was so bad at the three most important spots in this scheme(Edge, Safety, LB)…Joseph has recruited well enough to get another shot and Choate has got to be a better coach than what his unit showed last year, he built that Montana state program from the ground up and they are actually great now. Staff continuity as far as gameplanning and adjustments makes a big difference, these guys never worked together before that should be a data point under consideration. But Kansas, yikes! The defense has nowhere to go but up as sad as that sounds to say and this current staff getting it turned around is the best case scenario for the program(if it’s even possible). Sark is in a tough spot. I wouldn’t want to be the one having to make this call. But Kansas, yikes!

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

How does this help with Arch? 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Marion and Sark also have a lot of schematic differences in the offenses they run. I don't think from a scheme perspective it really works but Marion isn't being hired here for that reason. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Great coaches adapt, will add wrinkles, etc.

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's not about adding the specifics but rather the concepts to your already well versed playbook. I'm sure Marion would do the same with stuff he'd learn from Sarkisian moving forward.

Yes.

If you're looking for exact fits to what you already do, you're begging to be left behind. Maybe that's Jimbo's offensive problem.

I'll take learning anywhere I can get it in my little life. If I were making millions as a college HC, I hope I would maintain that attitude.

Royal was smart enough to embrace Bellard's idea about the triple option. Saban changed his offense from the ground pounding SEC model.

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

We were in line for a dozen more “at least the Longhorn made the top 3 edit” moral victories and a 20-25 ranked class (maybe a bit higher due to bread) before nearly every recruiting rival had major coaching changes and sources outside our AD announced NIL deals. 

I would argue that NIL leveled the playing field for us.  I don’t really know what Harris did or didn’t do, but I think too much influence is being attributed to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

This led me down an old TE hole… To the surprise of no one, Major Tennison got buried in basement of the depth chart. Supposedly he’s an elite holder though. That one-two punch of Tennison/Irv Smith was going to be incredible 

Username ✔

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

who is they? Sarkisian and CDC? No one is holding them accountable for fielding the worst Texas team of the modern era.  

22 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

and Choate has got to be a better coach than what his unit showed last year, he built that Montana state program from the ground up and they are actually great now.

Uhm, WUT? Montana State was a fucking top 10 team and won the Patriot 3 years running only to be eliminated from the playoffs by NDSU, and SHSU twice. They won their conference 7 times in 10 years with Kramer and Ash before Choate was hired. Choate built fuckall. The dropoff in our LBs from Hutzler to Choate was a fucking cliff and there's no reason that he should still be employed at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Uhm, WUT? Montana State was a fucking top 10 team and won the Patriot 3 years running only to be eliminated from the playoffs by NDSU, and SHSU twice. They won their conference 7 times in 10 years with Kramer and Ash before Choate was hired. Choate built fuckall. The dropoff in our LBs from Hutzler to Choate was a fucking cliff and there's no reason that he should still be employed at Texas. 

Yeah Choate seems like the biggest fail to me other than maybe PK. I know he’s a likable guy and was PK’s one choice but that unit looked lost all year.

In fact I’d say Safety and LB seemed like the biggest coaching deficiencies. Plenty of athleticism to work with at both, just shitty play. CB and DL were ok. Edge was bad but the coaches had nothing to work with there especially once Jones went down. 

21 minutes ago, golfclap said:

who is they? Sarkisian and CDC? No one is holding them accountable for fielding the worst Texas team of the modern era.  

What are you talking about? 

Montana State went 8-5 in 2014 and 5-6 in 2015 before Choate came. They won conference championships from 2010-2012. 

Choate came in 2016. .They went 4-7, 5-6, 8-5, and 11-4 in his 4 years. 

Montana State has won 10 games or more 3 times since 1985, one of those being Choate's last year. No need to try and make Montana State into a FCS powerhouse to shit on Choate, there are plenty legit reasons to do it. Though anyone saying that Ford did not improve through out the year has an axe to grind. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

IT Scoop:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Things are seemingly quiet after the avalanche of activity the previous month, but there are still plenty of news stories bubbling below the surface we're working to track.

Steve Sarkisian has done well to keep a lid on his intentions for reshaping the coaching staff. Will he stop at replacing Stan Drayton with Tashard Choice and releasing Andre Coleman for another receivers coach, presumably Brennan Marion? We say presumably because things have been fairly quiet on that front. Signs are pointing in the Pitt WR coach's direction, but we haven't been told that hire is set in stone. He's very likely weighing options that include both OC and WR duties. It's also likely Sark is surveying the field as well.

UT's Director of Recruiting, Brandon Harris, will remain in Austin after word leaked he was up for the player personnel gig at Temple under Stan Drayton. Harris has been with Texas since 2019 and has a solid reputation with many recruits.

The most important aspect of Sark's offseason is to retool the roster. So far he's exceeded well beyond expectations. IT feels strongly he'll continue to make improvements via both the portal and high school ranks.

Interesting Note in the portion about Dillon Bell:

ATH Dillon Bell, The Kinkaid School (Houston, TX) - 2022:

Bell has been committed to Georgia as a wide receiver since early August but he didn't sign with the Bulldogs during the early singing period. This seems like a Champ Lewis situation in which Kirby Smart wants to assess numbers before waving him into the class. IT hears Bell may take a visit to UT in January and privately he's more receptive to UT than he has been in the past.

While he's committed to Georgia as a receiver, his athletic ceiling is at linebacker.

One thing we can't help but wonder, Cortez Hankton is Bell's recruiter at UGA. He is the brother of Cordae Hankton, a quality control analyst at Texas.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

What are you talking about? 

Montana State went 8-5 in 2014 and 5-6 in 2015 before Choate came. They won conference championships from 2010-2012. 

well, I think I was replying to this quote "he built that Montana state program from the ground up and they are actually great now."  by noting that he in fact built fuckall because Montana State was a conference champion 7 of the 10 years prior to Choate taking the job. That 8-5 season - they finished 2nd in the conference and made the playoffs. 

It's a weird hill to die on -  but if you think Choate built Montana State from the ground up have at it. I think you and I have vastly different ideas of what building from the ground up means. 

Taking over a job where a team had it's first losing season in 20 years (5-6), a team that had won the conference 7 of 10 seasons  -- is not a rebuild and it is certainly not from the ground up - it's simply righting the ship. 

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Though anyone saying that Ford did not improve through out the year has an axe to grind. 

I mean, I do have an axe to grind - Choate is terrible at his job.

Ford's biggest improvement was simply being put on the field and he was only on the field when injury forced Choate's hand because ... wait for it .... Choate did a terrible job this year. He was all over the goddamn field vs. OkSt. and that had nothing to do with developing over the year. He showed as much in the last few games of 2020 which is why so many of us on this board were excited about him. Do you think Overshown, Gbenda, Richardson, and Brockermeyer all showed improvement as the season went on as well, proving your point on development by showing the entire unit? Or maybe is it simply that Ford is a better player than the guys in front of him and should've been playing all season only proving my point? 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

well, I think I was replying to this quote "he built that Montana state program from the ground up and they are actually great now."  by noting that he in fact built fuckall because Montana State was a conference champion 7 of the 10 years prior to Choate taking the job. That 8-5 season - they finished 2nd in the conference and made the playoffs. 

It's a weird hill to die on -  but if you think Choate built Montana State from the ground up have at it. I think you and I have vastly different ideas of what building from the ground up means. 

Taking over a job where a team had it's first losing season in 20 years (5-6), a team that had won the conference 7 of 10 seasons  -- is not a rebuild and it is certainly not from the ground up - it's simply righting the ship. 

I mean, I do have an axe to grind - Choate is terrible at his job.

Ford's biggest improvement was simply being put on the field and he was only on the field when injury forced Choate's hand because ... wait for it .... Choate did a terrible job this year. He was all over the goddamn field vs. OkSt. and that had nothing to do with developing over the year. He showed as much in the last few games of 2020 which is why so many of us on this board were excited about him. Do you think Overshown, Gbenda, Richardson, and Brockermeyer all showed improvement as the season went on as well, proving your point on development by showing the entire unit? Or maybe is it simply that Ford is a better player than the guys in front of him and should've been playing all season only proving my point? 

I am not claiming he built anything, but trying to portray that Choate did a bad job at Montana State when he took over a team with a losing record and ended with 11-4 record is fucking comical. Even more comical is you continue to say Montana State won the conference 7 of the past 10 years. I have no idea why you feel the need to lie about that, unless you meant they did not win the league in 7 of the 10 years preceding Choate. 

https://bigskyconf.com/sports/2010/6/30/FBpastchamp.aspx

2015 Southern Utah
2014 Eastern Washignton
2013 Eastern Washignton
2012 Eastern Washignton, Cal Poly. Montana State
2011 Montana State
2010 Montana State, Eastern Washington
2009 Montana
2008 Montana, Weber State
2007 Montana
2006 Montana
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

What players did Harris lose us that aggy didn’t payoff?  Anderson?

Miller flat out didn't like him. Anderson was the same. In the waning days of the cycle, Harris was tasked with "connecting" to Anderson after Elko left and he basically just cemented that guy's disinterest in playing for Sarkisian at Texas. If you guys need a longer list, we could probably get one, but why would we need it? If the guy in Harris' position is alienating any of the program's targets, he's a fucking bust.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

TE should improve next season if Billingley transfers here. He was a good player under Sark. 

If you can simply put aside the stupid shit that whoever it is you're parroting spews and take a basic look at the situation, there's no way propping this kind of position up shouldn't make you blush. The starting TE for a national playoff number 1 seed reigning champion with a 3rd round draft grade isn't transferring to Texas. 

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

There shouldn't be a "but". If a manager knowingly keeps an inferior employee on staff after a lengthy evaluation period, for any reason, the manager is inferior as well. There is no reason to give September Wins Steve a fucking benefit of the doubt. It's asinine. Texas could upgrade that role in 50 different ways today and be better tomorrow for it.

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

He and Harris have a great relationship. Arch mentioned how much he liked Harris to a 9.95er

You guys that take a guy like Arch Manning at his word about staff members for various programs when he's talking to reporters should take it to DM so the rest of us don't have to be a party to the nonsense. It's fucking idiotic that you're drawing any conclusions on Arch Manning's recruitment or feelings about assistants based on what he told some $9.95er. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If you can simply put aside the stupid shit that whoever it is you're parroting spews and take a basic look at the situation, there's no way propping this kind of position up shouldn't make you blush. The starting TE for a national playoff number 1 seed reigning champion with a 3rd round draft grade isn't transferring to Texas. 

Wait, I thought you were the one that said Billingsley was likely transferring to Texas? Maybe it was somebody else that said that. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Wait, I thought you were the one that said Billingsley was likely transferring to Texas? Maybe it was somebody else that said that. 

I'd mentioned that people had thrown his name out there when it first surfaced and IT published his name. I thought about it the next time it popped up somewhere and convinced myself it was lazy idiocy from $9.95ers for the complete lack of logic attached to it.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Miller flat out didn't like him. Anderson was the same. In the waning days of the cycle, Harris was tasked with "connecting" to Anderson after Elko left and he basically just cemented that guy's disinterest in playing for Sarkisian at Texas. If you guys need a longer list, we could probably get one, but why would we need it? If the guy in Harris' position is alienating any of the program's targets, he's a fucking bust.

Okay, that's what I was looking for, examples.

Any chance Miller didn't like our competition?  Though I suppose Bijan and RoJo are both gone after next season.

Anderson likes his rodeo stuff so I could see him genuinely wanting to go to A&M as bizarre as it sounds.  Some people like that hick culture.

What is the word on why people don't like Harris?  Can we define what immature means?  Like is there an example of what he does that pisses people off?

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Okay, that's what I was looking for, examples.

Any chance Miller didn't like our competition?  Though I suppose Bijan and RoJo are both gone after next season.

Anderson likes his rodeo stuff so I could see him genuinely wanting to go to A&M as bizarre as it sounds.  Some people like that hick culture.

What is the word on why people don't like Harris?  Can we define what immature means?  Like is there an example of what he does that pisses people off?

Depth Chart 1:

image.png.7d4861d3cb1efe04245848dc5fcb3170.png

Depth Chart 2:

image.png.9213782b2deff085a410a0687ecebbf7.png

you know Bama has their pick of 5* or high 4* RBs every year and they will be bringing one in behind you.

let's say he is competing just with his class + the class ahead of him - one side is Jaydon Blue and Jonathan Brooks (injured) and the other option is Camar Wheaton and some RB from LA? plus Jahmyr Gibbs?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't think it was competition that ran him off.

Owens seems to genuinely like Harris from what I’ve read. Think he said Harris felt like a big brother or something. But yeah no way Arch gives a shit.

Judging by X’s reactions, some kids clearly like Harris. It sounds like he’s in over his head but maybe some added experience in the role (lots of people suck in their first year of a new job) and support staff around him will help. Not ideal and I’m not saying he’s the right guy, but I’m not ready to panic. Who knows, maybe his role will even be changing a bit (wasn’t he more interested in the coaching side?). As I said before, I’m much more concerned with what happens on defense.