2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Courtney Helom, our recruiting operations coordinator just retweeted this:

Seems very random for our recruiting department to be amplifying another school’s position coach, unless…

I could see us making him co-oc or passing game coordinator type title to give him a "promotion."

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Somebody tell me about Brennan Marion. I just looked at his wiki and he's changed jobs pretty much every year for the past 10 years. Why is he qualified to coach at a place like Texas?

Just coached the Biletnikoff winner.  Known to be high-energy and engaging guy - generally translates to 'good-recruiter'.  Inventor of go-go offense that is being used across college football and NFL - so you'd expect high-football IQ.  Jonb hopping because he's ambitious - wants to be a P5 OC or head coach so he can run his offense at highest levels of football.

If we did hire him I wouldn't expect him to stick around any longer than it would take him to get an OC job - but coaches leaving for promotions is a good problem to have.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The last three LSU coaches won a national championship. Two of those three were certifiable morons. Brian Kelly isn’t a “fit” at LSU but he sure as shit is a better football coach than Les Miles and Orgeron. I’m not betting against them.

Sure. Me either. So why did you quote me when what I said had zero to do with what you’re talking about? I was literally saying Twitter follows arent iron clad future prediction machines. 

but great take your on LSU. Really going out on a limb there. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure. Me either. So why did you quote me when what I was did using had zero to do with what you’re talking about? I was literally saying Twitter follows arent iron clad future prediction machines. 

This isn’t English. Also, if you’re on some sort of bender and haven’t been to sleep, now would be a good time to start. If you’ve woken up fresh and this is your best effort, maybe try some more sleep anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure. Me either. So why did you quote me when what I was did using had zero to do with what you’re talking about? I was literally saying Twitter follows arent iron clad future prediction machines. 

Did you have a stroke while typing this?

In any event, quoting you was a mistake 

34 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Somebody tell me about Brennan Marion. I just looked at his wiki and he's changed jobs pretty much every year for the past 10 years. Why is he qualified to coach at a place like Texas?

Plus recruiter, just coached the Biletnikoff winner, has done an excellent job developing WRs at both D1 gigs he's been at, and  he's an innovative offensive mind. 

Based on everything I've read, this is a homerun hire and it's a miracle Texas is even in the picture without an OC title. Maybe Marion gets some type of title...who knows. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian keeping Brandon Harris simply confirms that Seven Loss Steve is going to prove to be an unmitigated failure at this job. He flat out knows that Harris was an underperformer i. this cycle. 

So we’re looking at a guy that fired one coach after one of the worst seasons in UT history. The guy he fired overtly failed in every facet of his role on a constant basis for a second consecutive year. Sarkisian retained him for idiotic reasons while he could have kept the terrific LB coach instead for the same purposes. 

I’m interested in seeing which posters poo poo this and then inevitably come back to the recruiting threads to lament the next round of self-inflicted gunshot wounds in recruiting the next cycle. 

Also, the idiotic notion of “just hire other guys to do this guy’s job for him” is self-identifying posters as naive imbeciles who have never competently managed a team in their life. 

All that was left is hope, now we have no hope :(

Who are the top candidates after the 2023 season for HC?

Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that they do hire someone to be his boss and make Harris "Assistant Director of Recruiting?"

Edited by BurntOrange&White

15 hours ago, golfclap said:

I thought Napier should’ve been interviewed here but we anointed instead of actually interviewing so it’s a cows point. 

@closetojumping has better sources on this than me, so let him clarify if I’m wrong, but my impression is that Saban thinks Napier is THE guy of all his former assistant coaches. anyone who knows me knows I fucking hate the Gators but that was a great hire and it looks like they are saying yes to anything he’s asked for with the expansion in the support staff size and assistants salary pool. 

Anytime I talk about succession with my friends there, they start waxing philosophical about moving back to Texas when the run is over. So I don’t have any good insights as to who is next because they’ve never been interested in the discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Is this guy as good as the concerted media marketing of him is? 

He's a respected football mind.  Addison gave him a legit skin on the wall.  He's young and seems engaging and personable enough in interviews.  Not sure how much more you can realistically hope for from a position coach.

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

It’s why Pitt is on the playoffs.  Wait…

They only improved by 5 wins as their 5th yr QB became a Heisman finalist and presumed 1st rd pick while improving his personal best from 13 TDs to 42 TDs? What a loser.

/I have no fucking clue how much of the credit Marion deserves for any of that, but are we saying he stinks because MFing PITT is settling for a conference championship, but outside of CFB's top-4?

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Plus recruiter, just coached the Biletnikoff winner, has done an excellent job developing WRs at both D1 gigs he's been at, and  he's an innovative offensive mind. 

Based on everything I've read, this is a homerun hire and it's a miracle Texas is even in the picture without an OC title. Maybe Marion gets some type of title...who knows. 

Why not let him share the OC title with Flood? Does it even mean anything?

4 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

They only improved by 5 wins as their 5th yr QB became a Heisman finalist and presumed 1st rd pick while improving his personal best from 13 TDs to 42 TDs? What a loser.

/I have no fucking clue how much of the credit Marion deserves for any of that, but are we saying he stinks because MFing PITT is settling for a conference championship, but outside of CFB's top-4?

no one’s saying he stinks. NCAA OCs are able to run their system with varied personnel. I have yet to be convinced he can do that yet

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

no one’s saying he stinks. NCAA OCs are able to run their system with varied personnel. I have yet to be convinced he can do that yet

The football board is that direction. Go be a regard over there. >>> 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

The guy is on the fast track. His name is everywhere. He is very ambitious. Texas fans are not used to a guy like this. He is smart and ambitious. He would be coming here to get a check next working for a respected Offensive mind and get the hell out of here with a P5 OC job in 2 years. That is the kind of young position coaches Texas needs. Guys that want to make a name for themselves in a hurry and get the hell out. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Went 5-7 while averaging 25 points per game?

William and Mary went from averaging 13.6 points to 25.35 in 1 year with Marion as the OC. Total offense went from 241.5 yards per game to 340.9 yards in 1 year with Marion as the OC. 

I dunno about you but that seems like substantial improvement. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

William and Mary went from averaging 13.6 points and 136 yards per game to 25.35 points and 303 yards per game in 1 year with Marion as the OC. 

136 yards per game is pretty impressive in the current climate of offense.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

136 yards per game is pretty impressive in the current climate of offense.

I had the wrong stat. 

It was actually 241.5 yards per game but still substantial improvement in the 1 year under Marion as they averaged 340.9 yards per game in 2019. So a 100 yard improvement, per game, in 1 year under Marion. 

They also doubled their scoring in 1 year under Marion. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

William and Mary went from averaging 13.6 points to 25.35 in 1 year with Marion as the OC. Total offense went from 241.5 yards per game to 340.9 yards in 1 year with Marion as the OC. 

They went from terrible to average. 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The guy is on the fast track. His name is everywhere. He is very ambitious. Texas fans are not used to a guy like this. He is smart and ambitious. He would be coming here to get a check next working for a respected Offensive mind and get the hell out of here with a P5 OC job in 2 years. That is the kind of young position coaches Texas needs. Guys that want to make a name for themselves in a hurry and get the hell out. 

Ok. That’s a solid point I agree with.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I'd be hiring the WR position for recruiting and technical impact, and anything added schematically would be a bonus but not what I'd be hiring on 

Actually I think it is an interesting marriage. TE blocking has been hurting the Texas offense for years. Bringing in someone with a deep understand of 2 back sets might actually bring in some wrinkles that help the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1