2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

From a 247 poster

"Pitt's only recruiting site with activity is Rivals so couldn't post this on y'all's board. Just popped over to see if you guys had a Marion update or not. Sounds like he's gone for sure, we're just curious to where.

The writers for us have been pretty adamant for a while that they're expecting the OC hire will be external. That was even the case before Whipple left, as it was kind of an open secret he was in his last year no matter what. Everybody expected retirement but then Nebraska gave him that nice little bonus nest egg.

I know Marion had interviewed for the OC job at Colorado, sounds like he wants to call plays but haven't heard of any other OC interviews he has lined up. Pitt offered him a raise but he turned it down. Also no indications from the Pitt side that he's committed to staying through the Bowl game, we're pretty sure Tim Salem's calling plays either way."

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

From a 247 poster

"Pitt's only recruiting site with activity is Rivals so couldn't post this on y'all's board. Just popped over to see if you guys had a Marion update or not. Sounds like he's gone for sure, we're just curious to where.

The writers for us have been pretty adamant for a while that they're expecting the OC hire will be external. That was even the case before Whipple left, as it was kind of an open secret he was in his last year no matter what. Everybody expected retirement but then Nebraska gave him that nice little bonus nest egg.

I know Marion had interviewed for the OC job at Colorado, sounds like he wants to call plays but haven't heard of any other OC interviews he has lined up. Pitt offered him a raise but he turned it down. Also no indications from the Pitt side that he's committed to staying through the Bowl game, we're pretty sure Tim Salem's calling plays either way."

He didn't get the job. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He didn't get the job. 

Just spitballin' here...

Pitt may feel like Brennan Marion hasn't been there long enough (1 year) to trust him with the OC role.  As others have stated, Marion has been a damn nomad, new coach for hire.  Wherever Marion ends up,  unless he's the OC I'm guessing he's a short-term rental that'll stay for only 1-2yrs...

Marion as a coach:

• West Valley College (2011)   WR Coach
  • Harker School (2012)      WR Coach
  • St. Patrick-St. Vincent HS (2013)  Head coach
  • Waynesboro Area HS (2014)    Head coach
  • Arizona State (2015)  Offensive quality control asst 
  • Oklahoma Baptist (2016)   RB coach
  • Howard (2017–2018) OC & QB coach
  • William & Mary (2019)   OC & QB coach
  • Hawaii (2020)     WR coach
  • Pittsburgh (2021–present)  WR coach

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just spitballin' here...

Pitt may feel like Brennan Marion hasn't been there long enough (1 year) to trust him with the OC role.  As others have stated, Marion has been a damn nomad, new coach for hire.  Wherever Marion ends up,  unless he's the OC I'm guessing he's a short-term rental that'll stay for only 1-2yrs...

Marion as a coach:

• West Valley College (2011)   WR Coach
  • Harker School (2012)      WR Coach
  • St. Patrick-St. Vincent HS (2013)  Head coach
  • Waynesboro Area HS (2014)    Head coach
  • Arizona State (2015)  Offensive quality control asst 
  • Oklahoma Baptist (2016)   RB coach
  • Howard (2017–2018) OC & QB coach
  • William & Mary (2019)   OC & QB coach
  • Hawaii (2020)     WR coach
  • Pittsburgh (2021–present)  WR coach

I am all for position coaches only being around a couple of years as if you are hiring hot shit coaches that other teams want there is a good chance that you have a good team yourself. Texas seemingly for years has been the "retire in place" destination for coaches where they'll get here and just sit around and nobody in the market wants them.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Found this to show what Pitt was paying Whipple to be OC. The article was from June 2021.

image.png.72da13c8a7c785a38efd7ab8e1a36df3.png

For comparison sake Andre Coleman's two year contract was as follows:

Year 1 $450k
Year 2 $500k

2021 WR Highest Paid WR Coaches 

Without further ado, the list:

1. Josh Gattis, Michigan -- $900,000*
2. Kasey Dunn, Oklahoma State -- $800,000*
3. Dameyune Craig, Texas A&M -- $700,000
4. Billy Gonzales, Florida -- $632,000+
5. Cale Gundy, Oklahoma -- $580,000+
6. Darrin Chiaverini, Colorado -- $550,000*
6. Cortez Hankton, Georgia -- $550,000+
6. Brian Hartline, Ohio State -- $550,000
9. Dennis Simmons, Oklahoma -- $510,000+
10. Matt Lubick, Nebraska -- $500,000*
11. Holmon Wiggins, Alabama -- $475,000
12. Justin Stepp, South Carolina -- $460,000
13. Andre Coleman, Texas -- $450,000
13. Ron Dugans, Florida State -- $450,000
13. Derrick Nix, Ole Miss -- $450,000

* - Offensive coordinator
+ - Co-coordinator/passing game coordinator/assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator

Fyi..Mickey Joseph (LSU) signed a 2-year deal last year at $407,000 a year.

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Goodman said:

image.jpeg.6d1fc7aafba27e6c6f7a7e5d9975b637.jpeg

The only reason Herman had this dipshit on staff was because (I’m guessing) he’s the one Herman could call at 3am to come pick him up from some place or situation that would have gotten him fire from UT.   He was Herman’s fixer.  That’s the only possible explanation for having rooster boy on staff.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

The only reason Herman had this dipshit on staff was because (I’m guessing) he’s the one Herman could call at 3am to come pick him up from some place or situation that would have gotten him fire from UT.   He was Herman’s fixer.  That’s the only possible explanation for having rooster boy on staff.  

Funny story about douchebag.  Prior to accepting the role at Texas, while he was at UH, he was on match.com and was matched with a very close friend of mine. She thought he looked like a tool and did whatever the match.com version of swipe left is. When he was hired at Texas I was mad she didn't give it a shot so I could have had a connection to the staff, but looking back on it, I would be embarrassed to have known him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone else surprised nothing on Marion has been leaked/announced yet? Seems like by now he would know what he's doing bc Pitt OC has been open 2 weeks, we've likely been in contact for a while, and Drayton has had a week at Temple (that one may take longer given all on his Stan's plate).

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Anyone else surprised nothing on Marion has been leaked/announced yet? Seems like by now he would know what he's doing bc Pitt OC has been open 2 weeks, we've likely been in contact for a while, and Drayton has had a week at Temple (that one may take longer given all on his Stan's plate).

IT addressed the fact that there's very little leaking out of Moncrief right now and to expect a WR coach announcement much like the Choice announcement. Out of nowhere.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Not really. It's post NSD1 and they are playing in a NY6 bowl. What's the hurry for Marion? 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not really. It's post NSD1 and they are playing in a NY6 bowl. What's the hurry for Marion? 

Fair point, if he's leaving Pitt he might want to keep it quiet until after that bowl game. And no real reason for Sark/Drayton or anyone else to push him on that.

If they were promoting him to OC, I feel like they'd go ahead and announce it though to get their guys excited and end any speculation.

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Fair point, if he's leaving Pitt he might want to keep it quiet until after that bowl game. And no real reason for Sark/Drayton or anyone else to push him on that.

If they were promoting him to OC, I feel like they'd go ahead and announce it though to get their guys excited and end any speculation.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Absolutely.

He would have also retweeted or liked something about Slovis too

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

Mehringer is now the QB coach at New Mexico. I think his coaching days at a major program are about over. 

Based on what we heard from Brooks and now from Watts, it looks like Terry Joseph is staying.  He even had a soft landing spot on LSU's staff (reportedly).  

Hopefully we still have Patterson ending up in some advisory capacity as it's hard to see talent as the only reason for last year's defensive debacle.  Then again, news doesn't seem to leak often prior to something happening so fingers are crossed.  I was hoping the quiet regarding Jimmy Lake meant that we were in talks to potentially bring him in.  Hard to argue with the success Coach K had with Lake handling the backend for years, though I wonder if Lake's dismissal makes him too radioactive for us to bring on board.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fyi for Surly...

FCB covered Cowboys when Tashard Choice was there, so he could become a new source for FCB.  Hopefully word gets to TC to not tell him anything...

Also, FCB got married while in Vegas -- they were helicopter'd into Grand Canyon for the ceremony, and the reception at Chris Angel MindFreak... 😂😂😂

FCB talks about wedding and Tashard Choice in intro...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Also, FCB got married while in Vegas -- they were helicopter'd into Grand Canyon for the ceremony, and the reception at Chris Angel MindFreak... 😂😂😂

I just heard about this because apparently my stepmother dated him for a spell. He may have even been at her and my dad's wedding. Apparently his deception runs deep.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s Warehime that’s calling plays. That initial Herman staff really was shitty. 

He had an open checkbook and went out and performed an exhaustive Third Ward-wide search to get the best staff he could find.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Mehringer sucks so much that his bio on the UNM website struggles to find good things to say about his coaching career.

https://golobos.com/coach/drew-mehringer/

Here is the highlight from his time at Florida Atlantic coaching receivers.

Great job Drew.  Under your tutelage,  the wide receivers caught more passes than the other position groups on the team.  Also no one died.  Probably.

I think we all died a little bit while he was here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi for Surly...

FCB covered Cowboys when Tashard Choice was there, so he could become a new source for FCB.  Hopefully word gets to TC to not tell him anything...

FCB talks about wedding and Tashard Choice in intro...

IMG_0382.GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As of early yesterday, Sarkisian hadn’t offered Marion the job. If it gets past today without that deal being done, there’s a decent chance that Sarkisian has somebody else he’s got a verbal with who is still coaching in a big time bowl or playoff or the NFL. 

I don’t think the Hankton guy at Georgia is a bad candidate. I haven’t checked out anyone else besides the Bama guy who has zero reason to come here and leave his role. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As of early yesterday, Sarkisian hadn’t offered Marion the job. If it gets past today without that deal being done, there’s a decent chance that Sarkisian has somebody else he’s got a verbal with who is still coaching in a big time bowl or playoff or the NFL. 

I don’t think the Hankton guy at Georgia is a bad candidate. I haven’t checked out anyone else besides the Bama guy who has zero reason to come here and leave his role. 

Could Sark/Texas be waiting until after Pitt's bowl if Marion is named the interim OC? I saw that Pitt hasn't named one yet and won't until they get to Atlanta for their bowl game. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is this the part where we wishcast? 

Apparently Hankton is a good recruiter even outside of the nefarious stuff. Probably also doesn't hurt that his brother is currently on our staff as well.

Baltimore may miss out on the playoffs, could we lure Tee Martin away? Complete wishcast.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is this the part where we wishcast? 

Apparently Hankton is a good recruiter even outside of the nefarious stuff. Probably also doesn't hurt that his brother is currently on our staff as well.

Baltimore may miss out on the playoffs, could we lure Tee Martin away? Complete wishcast.

Speaking of Tee Martin - am I the last to find out that Amari Rodgers is his son?

Did Sark not hire him last year because of the Tennessee stench?  A year in Baltimore wash that off?