2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Given your recent betting history at this time I won't be taking any considerations you may have with regards to things such as this and other endeavors seriously.

Is that supposed to be an insult?  Am I supposed to  come over the top and say "1,000.00 doesn't mean shit to me?"  I'm one of ten posters that takes you seriously here and you go this route?  Alrighty then.  

• Haha 2

Just now, closetohumping said:

Is that supposed to be an insult?  Am I supposed to  come over the top and say "1,000.00 doesn't mean shit to me?"  I'm one of ten posters that takes you seriously here and you go this route?  Alrighty then.  

You seem mad? You should have doubled downed and said $2000!

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

You seem mad? You should have doubled downed and said $2000!

Nah not at all.  Just trying to figure out where you're coming from.  Am I supposed to come over the top and say "2,000.00 doesn't mean shit to me either?"  Not sure what a fun bet has to do with anything.  

Just now, closetohumping said:

Nah not at all.  Just trying to figure out where you're coming from.  Am I supposed to come over the top and say "2,000.00 doesn't mean shit to me either?"  Not sure what a fun bet has to do with anything.  

It’s a joke, don’t be so serious. But yes, you should have been like $5k and go completely over the top. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If it helps folks regarding street agents and "NIL vs Bag Game", there will always be a place for bag men as facilitators in various forms. They'll all continue to get paid to get guys to unofficially visit, officially visit, commit, etc. That's always been chump change money to programs and all of them, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan included, work within that structure. The scenario where the agent/uncle gets $75k to have the player sign is where there is currently quicksand.

As it works quite often in these kinds of conditions, the highest, craziest premiums will be applied in the dark market just before its utter deflation. We just witnessed that in real time as ATM started posting uncle payments in this cycle that no one has ever seen before. Whatever got dropped on Harris' camp's lap between his meeting with Texas on Friday and his telling everyone he was heading to ATM on Sunday was allegedly bluntly startling. 

We'll either hear about the craziest shit CFB recruiting has ever done for the 2023 cycle, or ATM just finished doing that, and then conversations across the board go from tentatively evolving to matter of fact towards NIL's direction other than the corner cases.

I'm curious to see if the fact that aggy has gone so far over the top this year causes Saban to pull some strings. I can't imagine he's too thrilled with all of this and he seems to be the puppet master of the SEC

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm curious to see if the fact that aggy has gone so far over the top this year causes Saban to pull some strings. I can't imagine he's too thrilled with all of this and he seems to be the puppet master of the SEC

I’m curious to see how organized it remains with that UGA dude leaving. 

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I read an article a while back where the SEC teams have a gentleman's agreement on what to pay prospective recruits, like "you can pay X for OOS recruits and Y for in state recruits."  If aggy is violating that it may be an issue.  Not sure why anyone is shocked that they're cheating.  They've been cheating since Jackie right?

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I read an article a while back where the SEC teams have a gentleman's agreement on what to pay prospective recruits, like "you can pay X for OOS recruits and Y for in state recruits."  If aggy is violating that it may be an issue.  Not sure why anyone is shocked that they're cheating.  They've been cheating since Jackie right?

aggy has been cheating since Day 1.  Go research their infractions history.  They are never successful for any length of time without cheating vigorously.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I'm pretty sure A&M realized exactly what SEC gentleman's agreements were worth the second it got leaked that UT and OU were joining the conference and there was not a damn thing they could do about it. It was at that exact moment that they decided to flex their bag game and blow it out of the water, damn the consequence. Again, none of this shit at A&M happens on this scale if our move to the SEC doesn't happen. I do wonder how much the rest of the SEC powers that be are willing to take of this, though. 

• Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lol @ gentlemens agreement.  The ags found out how far that extends not long ago and are reacting accordingly. 

Connecting the dots. They see that the SEC broke the gentlemans agreement letting us in the SEC so they broke this gentlemans agreement on what they are paying

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If it helps folks regarding street agents and "NIL vs Bag Game", there will always be a place for bag men as facilitators in various forms. They'll all continue to get paid to get guys to unofficially visit, officially visit, commit, etc. That's always been chump change money to programs and all of them, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan included, work within that structure. The scenario where the agent/uncle gets $75k to have the player sign is where there is currently quicksand.

As it works quite often in these kinds of conditions, the highest, craziest premiums will be applied in the dark market just before its utter deflation. We just witnessed that in real time as ATM started posting uncle payments in this cycle that no one has ever seen before. Whatever got dropped on Harris' camp's lap between his meeting with Texas on Friday and his telling everyone he was heading to ATM on Sunday was allegedly bluntly startling. 

We'll either hear about the craziest shit CFB recruiting has ever done for the 2023 cycle, or ATM just finished doing that, and then conversations across the board go from tentatively evolving to matter of fact towards NIL's direction other than the corner cases.

Exactly as I see it as well.

Black markets will always exist, in every lane. No matter how good the legal weed is, there will still be someone slinging nickel bags on the corner, just like Cletus will still be making shine in some dirty copper still in the mountains of West Virginia, despite the fact there are better alternatives at the store. There will always be people who seek to get one over, by dealing under the table. NIL will never satisfy those folk, but it will level the playing field for the vast majority.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are looking at the floor and assuming it's a ceiling. Change your orientation and ultimately you'll see an asymptote for dark market value trending towards irrelevance for the vast swath of market participants. 

For sure, it's a short-term view...

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

37 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I've been wondering about this too. Sure, all schools cheat and they wouldn't get busted if they stayed in bounds, but they're breaking all the unwritten rules, and even worse it's working for them. Not only are they blowing normal amounts out of the water, they're invading other SEC states to do it (GA, LA, TN). So double foul.

Going full conspiracy - another potential factor is that A&M is no longer as economically important to the SEC once UT/OU join. Up until now, a strong A&M meant more Texas market eyeballs on the SEC. With UT/OU in the conference, the state will be locked in regardless. So unlike before, A&M getting busted would have very little financial impact on the rest of the conference.

Edited by Tex-19

15 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

If we are cheating at recruiting football players, then haven't been very good at it.

Exactly.

We're the richest program in college sports. If we are cheating, we've been going about it all wrong. The bang for the buck sure hasn't been there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I would consider Ole Miss and Tennessee as busted but yeah not meaning death penalty

Tennessee is interesting because they essentially turned themselves in once they realized their coach sucked in order to fire him for cause (and get out of paying him), and then the portal opened up. One could never imagine such a thing happening at a place like A&M.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tennessee is interesting because they essentially turned themselves in once they realized their coach sucked in order to fire him for cause (and get out of paying him), and then the portal opened up. One could never imagine such a thing happening at a place like A&M.

And wasn’t it saban that turned ole miss in?   Don’t fuck with saban

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a nice story, but there's nothing real about it, guys. I was told in January by guys that would 100% know that ATM was going to blow the doors off of the bag game this cycle because they're getting restless about a title and didn't like the Sarkisian hire. I told this board less details than that, but I did tell this board immediately that ATM had no plans to fuck around this cycle and wanted to land the #1 class in the country. 

Jimbo was hosting parents on his ranch during the dead period for corona, for months ahead of the SEC story in July, with impunity. He gives not one fuck about the NCAA and the aggies are so insular in their thinking and behavior that the ramifications for a whistleblower on any of this would be draconian. 

There are some old, red ass aggies that have been angered about their "mistreatment" from the media, NCAA, various conferences, and the state legislature since the day Jackie fucking Sherrill was shown the door. The punishments leveled on them in the mid-90's only added to their inferior perceptions of sleights from all sides. They've been waiting a long ass time to get back to buying players and Fisher's been asking the right questions. This is the last gasp for some of these old, fat blowhards. 

JimBro was on the radio last week...

"It (NIL) was always happening, but now it's just out in the open."

He wasn't saying it as an outsider.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are some old, red ass aggies that have been angered about their "mistreatment" from the media, NCAA, various conferences, and the state legislature since the day Jackie fucking Sherrill was shown the door. The punishments leveled on them in the mid-90's only added to their inferior perceptions of sleights from all sides. 

The only thing that limits this to “some” aggies is the fact that they were around for Jackie Sherrill and the 90s.  They’re all like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a nice story, but there's nothing real about it, guys. I was told in January by guys that would 100% know that ATM was going to blow the doors off of the bag game this cycle because they're getting restless about a title and didn't like the Sarkisian hire. I told this board less details than that, but I did tell this board immediately that ATM had no plans to fuck around this cycle and wanted to land the #1 class in the country. 

Why exactly didn't aggy like the Sarkisian hire? Are they truly scared of Sark can potentially build in Austin?

Edited by UDontKnow

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Why exactly didn't aggy like the Sarkisian hire? Are they truly scared of Sark can potentially build in Austin?

Well, Sarkisian was 5-7 in his 1st year, and was still able to pull in a Top 5 class with the bigtime assist of affluent alums that likely would have sat on the sidelines if Herman was still the coach. Plus, for as bad as the defense was in year #1, the offense was dynamic enough to make Casey Thompson look competent on occasions and allowed Bijan and Worthy to become house hold names.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Honestly not sure, I think all titles in general are bullshit and a scam to make people seem self important

When it comes to the state of Texas titles matter for how much state employees can be paid.

HR throws the titles around to get around the state bureaucracy's  pay limits.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP