2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

These are good hires on offense but they do nothing to address the abysmal defense. The Big 12 quickly figured out how to exploit PK's scheme with runs and short passes. Pete was either unwilling or unable to adapt.

Here's a hint, it didn't have much to do with Pete IMHO. Our best pass rusher was a JUCO transfer, our best LB was a safety, our second best LB was a walk on. Our best safety was a wr....last year. I understand people hated some of his calls, including me but many times personnel or lack thereof dictate how the defense can play. I refuse to say a distinguished defensive coach with a near impeccable resume was the main cause of one of the worst defenses in Texas history. That just doesn't add up.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas signed a top 5 class. Credit to Sarkisian and staff, but they had a ton of help. Frankly, a confluence of events from late November to now turned this class into what it is, versus just good ol'earnest hard work from the staff.

I feel that you're actually giving Sark too much credit here, all things considered. Without some help from some hardworking alumni, and a pair of head coaches deciding to make career changes, this class might not have even cracked the top 25.

This point of view is entirely consistent with the notion that A&M is only succeeding because of the greatest bag game since SMU.

And both schools have the same problem: Doubts as to whether the head coach can use the talent well.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

And no small part of self-congratulation.

I'll look into this reality thing when you open up the monopoly.

See, I just told CTJ that I thought he was giving Sark too much credit, mostly because I had the feeling that CTJ was trying NOT to pat himself on the back too much.

Don't be so butthurt by CTJ's invectives that you end up deserving them.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

These are good hires on offense but they do nothing to address the abysmal defense. The Big 12 quickly figured out how to exploit PK's scheme with runs and short passes. Pete was either unwilling or unable to adapt.

It’s a tragedy Satk’s choice for RB coach did not also shore up our defensive shortcomings. 

Edited by Newy25

1 minute ago, burdine said:

I think a lot of that can be on Steve Sarkisian and it still be the right thing to do support him and this staff in Year One.

I'm not talking about giving him the benefit of the doubt but also maybe not doom post about our "loser" coach and "7 win Steve".  I'm guessing there is a practical middle ground between naive pollyanna and angry cynic that most fans might be lining up behind.

Not trying to smear you.  You did a great thing with HWH and rightfully deserve a ton of praise.  Just maybe don't smear the folks that have a view that coaches and staffs are multi year bets and year one is too soon to call it.

Pay zero deference to things like HWH when taking me to task, please. The tenets of our positions should stand on their own merit. 

That considered, I don't know if you have noticed or not, and it doesn't appear that you have, burdine, but trying to edit my posting behaviors with advice about how to frame my thoughts usually seems like it doesn't work out. I also don't think that's "doom posting". It's petty, but I enjoy mocking shitty coaches with absurd names, mostly because various other posters can't handle it. 

I'll reference Sarkisian with niceties like "Coach Sarkisian" or "Sark" when he does something like post a winning record. I'll probably stop calling him dis-honorifics like Seven Win Steve/Seven Loss Steve/September Wins Steve and whatever other silly shit I like when he does something outrageous like compete for a conference title.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Pay zero deference to things like HWH when taking me to task, please. The tenets of our positions should stand on their own merit. 

That considered, I don't know if you have noticed or not, and it doesn't appear that you have, burdine, but trying to edit my posting behaviors with advice about how to frame my thoughts usually seems like it doesn't work out. I also don't think that's "doom posting". It's petty, but I enjoy mocking shitty coaches with absurd names, mostly because various other posters can't handle it. 

I'll reference Sarkisian with niceties like "Coach Sarkisian" or "Sark" when he does something like post a winning record. I'll probably stop calling him dis-honorifics like Seven Win Steve/Seven Loss Steve/September Wins Steve and whatever other silly shit I like when he does something outrageous like compete for a conference title.

Fair enough.  This can be the post where I say thanks for a job well done on HWH then.  Just really well done.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’re a pain in the ass, but I like you, man.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Of the fact he were running out the equivalent of the JV squad at DE, LB, and Safety may have had a ton to do with how bad the D looked.

Add some legit LBs or Safeties and the D would have been OK. Having holes at all 3 levels in the D was a death knell and that shit is all on Turtle Tom.

First 6 drives of the game by Kansas went as follows:

13 plays, 75 yards, TD

10 plays, 65 yards, TD

3 plays, 4 yards, punt

11 plays, 75 yards, TD

3 plays, 23 yards, TD

4 plays, 75 yards, TD

As much I might not love CTJ's "petty" name calling, etc, I do think Sark needs to own that the defense was record bad and get it fixed.

I think there are good reasons to be optimistic on offense, so I think how or if Sark fixes the defense probably determines his success here at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SuckitKevin said:

Drayton was a problem?

I have never understood the love for Drayton. He didnt recruit well and the Texas RBs performed poorly in areas where coaching was important, things like blitz pick-up and blocking. Bijan is really good when you give him the ball, but I think that was a skill he acquired in the delivery room. 

Meant to quote @burdine

I'd also like to see us play better on the road. This isn't brought up a lot but it was a serious cause for concern. @Arky we got fucking smoked. @ISU we got fucking smoked. We dicked around in FW and struggled to put a shitty TCU team away. We let a bad WVU team control the entire game in Morgantown. Baylor was maybe the best we did on the road and we still fell apart and pissed the game away. 

Show me a convincing road win. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Meant to quote @burdine

I'd also like to see us play better on the road. This isn't brought up a lot but it was a serious cause for concern. @Arky we got fucking smoked. @ISU we got fucking smoked. We dicked around in FW and struggled to put a shitty TCU team away. We let a bad WVU team control the entire game in Morgantown. Baylor was maybe the best we did on the road and we still fell apart and pissed the game away. 

Show me a convincing road win. 

I agree with you ztejas.  We did play poorly on the road.

Maybe that is mostly on the coaches or maybe on our lack of player leadership.  I guess we will find out over the next few years.

But I definitely agree, it's a source of real concern.

Frankly, many things were a source of concern this year. I'll add it to the list.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, burdine said:

Maybe that is mostly on the coaches or maybe on our lack of player leadership.  I guess we will find out over the next few years.

It could be a knock on the players but being bad on the road was a knock on Sark coming in iirc. Hope they figure it out. 

Not like we were that good at home, either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have never understood the love for Drayton. He didnt recruit well and the Texas RBs performed poorly in areas where coaching was important, things like blitz pick-up and blocking. Bijan is really good when you give him the ball, but I think that was a skill he acquired in the delivery room. 

This biggest issue I have with this comment is teams didn't have to blitz to get pressure on us. I wouldn't be blaming deficiencies on the RB's when the issue was the o-line.

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

This biggest issue I have with this comment is teams didn't have to blitz to get pressure on us. I wouldn't be blaming deficiencies on the RB's when the issue was the o-line.

That is merely passing the buck. RBs missed blitz pick-up continually. I think people are just lazy on the sack numbers. It is not all the OL. QBs, RBs, and even the TEs contributed to the total. I am not saying the OL was great, but they did not get much help either. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It could be a knock on the players but being bad on the road was a knock on Sark coming in iirc. Hope they figure it out. 

Not like we were that good at home, either. 

I just know we had some of the lowest returning production in D1 football last year.  Raw QBs, shaky OL, WR , etc.

We weren't a fully baked cake for sure.

Also, Sark was a drunk in his prior head coaching incarnations.

I just think it's hard to read a lot into it except that it is a concern and it needs to improve.

This is a good read on Brennan Marion's rise through the coaching ranks. I think it's interesting that he developed his offense at a high school for billionaires' kids so nobody cared if they were good and he got to do what he wanted. After reading it, I'm more convinced that he'd take the Temple OC job than I was before (he seems aspirational which you'd hope a young coach would be) but nevertheless, it's a good read.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/gogo-offense-brennan-marion-hawaii-innovation-scheme-analysis

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

No idea how the defense plays out, but the defensive coaches were pitching a much more aggressive defense to recruits. Maybe that is a reason for some hope. 

Well it cant get less aggressive. Guess pitching that was all they had. We'll see...

Also, Morgan freeman... 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

No idea how the defense plays out, but the defensive coaches were pitching a much more aggressive defense to recruits. Maybe that is a reason for some hope. 

This is a question/hope I have as well. My understanding of PK’s defenses at UW is that he always had some giant DT’s as space eaters to tie up blocks and let the LB’s run free. That’s what I kept hearing over and over again this year about how our current personnel at DL were better suited to shooting gaps and being aggressive rather than holding up blocks and reading & reacting at the line. Do any of our recruits on DL seem to fit that description? Bledsoe, Ross, Bryant, and Swanson all seem like more active, disruptive DT’s than future Vita Vea types. 

52 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

First 6 drives of the game by Kansas went as follows:

13 plays, 75 yards, TD

10 plays, 65 yards, TD

3 plays, 4 yards, punt

11 plays, 75 yards, TD

3 plays, 23 yards, TD

4 plays, 75 yards, TD

This encapsulates why fans shouldn't be falling all over themselves singing Sark's praises. This drive chart is a fucking joke. He is making some improvements (I like the RB hire and ditching Coleman (AFTER Coleman's whiffing on nearly every WR target of fucking note)) but there is still a long way to go.

The defensive side of the ball was historically bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is merely passing the buck. RBs missed blitz pick-up continually. I think people are just lazy on the sack numbers. It is not all the OL. QBs, RBs, and even the TEs contributed to the total. I am not saying the OL was great, but they did not get much help either. 

I agree with much of this but to say he didn’t recruit well seems ridiculous.

Just now, Duane Moore said:

This is a question/hope I have as well. My understanding of PK’s defenses at UW is that he always had some giant DT’s as space eaters to tie up blocks and let the LB’s run free. That’s what I kept hearing over and over again this year about how our current personnel at DL were better suited to shooting gaps and being aggressive rather than holding up blocks and reading & reacting at the line. Do any of our recruits on DL seem to fit that description? Bledsoe, Ross, Bryant, and Swanson all seem like more active, disruptive DT’s than future Vita Vea types. 

Vita Vea is just a freak. He does everything well. Texas could use one of those. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is merely passing the buck. RBs missed blitz pick-up continually. I think people just are lazy on the sack numbers. It is not all the OL. QBs, RBs, and even the TEs contributed to the total. 

You do you, the offensive line's entire objective is to block, blitz pick up is secondary in the Sark offense because he tries to get his best players in open space. You can't do that while blocking. I never saw blocking as a primary issue for the RB's except in wildcat and they had really good results with that from my recollection. I recall the RB room being the deepest and most talented room on the roster. Not sure too many people would argue with that. Blitz pick up from RB's being an issue is nitpicking when it comes to this team's deficiencies on offense. I come from the lean QC perspective. What are your biggest issues and fix those. You have corrective actions to fix those issues. 1. O-line, 2 QB, 3 WR, RB issues would be last. Having said that, they should always strive to improve in any area that is possible but to insinuate that RB blitz pickup was a major deficiency on the offensive side of the ball is absurd.

Just now, SuckitKevin said:

I agree with much of this but to say he didn’t recruit well seems ridiculous.

Have you looked at the RB room? Lets not forget Beck was brought in to recruit Bijan and Keontay Ingram. Texas had to move Rojo to RB, because the room lacked bodies Texas wanted to take 2 RBs this year and lost Miller and I think Gatson.  Missed on Wheaton and LJ Johnson in 2021. Missed on pretty much everyone on 2019 and settled on D Brown, which didnt work out well. So based on that, why do you think he recruited well? Lets not forget that RB coach is generally a recruit first coaching position. 

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You do you, the offensive line's entire objective is to block, blitz pick up is secondary in the Sark offense because he tries to get his best players in open space. You can't do that while blocking. I never saw blocking as a primary issue for the RB's except in wildcat and they had really good results with that from my recollection. I recall the RB room being the deepest and most talented room on the roster. Not sure too many people would argue with that. Blitz pick up from RB's being an issue is nitpicking when it comes to this team's deficiencies on offense. I come from the lean QC perspective. What are your biggest issues and fix those. You have corrective actions to fix those issues. 1. O-line, 2 QB, 3 WR, RB issues would be last. Having said that, they should always strive to improve in any area that is possible but to insinuate that RB blitz pickup was a major deficiency on the offensive side of the ball is absurd.

I think QB/OL are pretty equal in the Sack department. You know the 2 most projectable stats for a QB when they move teams? Its Sack rate and Completion rate. I have not argued that RB's were good with the ball it their hands, merely that they were not a plus when it was not in their hands. If you dont think it is important in today's football where passing is the focal point to pick up blitzes, then there is really no point of continuing this. I find your comment on RB depth to be comical. Rojo was moved from QB to RB to add depth. Picked up a RB from Bama, who happened to know 3 coaches on the staff. Drayton was not the reason for the depth. 

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think QB/OL are pretty equal in the Sack department. You know the 2 most projectable stats for a QB when they move teams? Its Sack rate and Completion rate. I have not argued that RB's were good with the ball it their hands, merely that they were not a plus when it was not in their hands. If you dont think it is important in today's football where passing is the focal point to pick up blitzes, then there is really no point of continuing this. I find your comment on RB depth to be comical. Rojo was moved from QB to RB to add depth. Picked up a RB from Bama, who happened to know 3 coaches on the staff. Drayton was not the reason for the depth. 

He at minimum was a factor in the depth at running back because he was the RB coach. Saying he wasn't a reason is a stretch. He was at minimum partially responsible for the quality of the depth at RB because, spoiler moment, he was the RB coach. Same can be said for Coleman in reverse, which is why he is gone, because the depth and lack of quality play sucked donkey balls. It doesn't work both ways. Drayton is a highly respected RB coach in the NFL and College or else he wouldn't have been given a head coaching job. Good for him, I actually think Choice will be better so let's call a truce on this and move on. I've said my peace. Let's hope we improve with the new hire. Hook'em. Please don't take this the wrong way, you seem reasonable and a decent poster and I have respect for your opinion but I just disagree with you on this subject for the most part. I honestly enjoy the banter as long as it isn't hostile.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with everything you wrote, other than the premise that I, or anyone else with a clue, isn't giving the staff plenty of credit for the class. Outside of a few sick bastards, we're all here because, in some form, we enjoy rooting for Texas and want to see the program doing well. Sarkisian and staff had help karmically and otherwise, but they deserve whatever non-ignorant praise board denizens wish to lavish upon them.

I have no ill will towards Sarkisian and I don't think many on here do. I'm all for seeing him create a dynastic legacy of winning title after title at Texas. That would be awesome. 

None of that was the crux of the small debate. Roma made a post in which he called out those who were "worried about Sark getting complacent" (paraphrasing probably). I simply responded with "what in the fuck is there for Sarkisian to get complacent about at this point?" (paraphrasing probably). Then Roma intimated something negative about that premise and then I became a dog with a bone defending those who refuse the benefit of the doubt for September Wins Steve until proven otherwise. Etc. So forth. 

Everyone should be stoked about the 2022 class, Ewers, NIL, Choice coming and Coleman going, and several potential big fish in the portal (or soon to be in the portal) coming to Texas. I know I am. 

My apologies, I wasn't meaning to so much direct that at you.  It more just came about from the typical sunshine pumper vs. hater debate that runs on this board.  I just thought your quote was a good one to respond to.

There are a few twits on here who think Sark is purely the victim of the roster and is largely blameless and a few that somehow think this recruiting class came to be soley through the use of NIL and some well timed coach relocations....

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No. The part about entrepreneurialism and being a fan of Texas football making me an optimist was self-deprecating. I guess also subtle. Claiming that I'm infusing facts into my optimism, which then continues to give me pause when it comes to Seven Loss Steve, is taking a position. Specifically, it was taking a position against the  position you'd previously taken.

It's okay to disagree. I get it. I'm not trying to take being excited about the future away from anyone. I'm merely looking to defend the critics regarding what we've seen so far. Your original post that I responded to was one of multiple posts from posters lately that feels like is conflating being excited with the new class with Sarkisian being some sort of bad ass that is making criticism look silly. 

Not a fair way of viewing your original take? Fine. Consider it the head on a spike that should sit atop this board until Texas is competing for at least a conference title under our current feckless leader. Call it a strawman being deployed by a rhetorical hack and I can live with it either way.

The way I think of this season is like a broken down vintage car.  You get your hopes and dreams of driving it in a parade or winning a trophy at a show but right now it's all torn apart in the garage.  Steve has a plan to put it together but anyone walking in to look at it right now for a point in time assessment sees a huge mess.  Progress this month has been good at addressing some of the big issues but we still have it up on jacks and have not started the engine so who knows what we get until it's put back together in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Dumb question but would we fire Coleman without having a coach to replace him already as a done deal?  

Sometimes you get better by culling out those not carrying their weight.  Anchors slow you down type thing.  If it was getting toxic you let them go before you have the backfill.

That said, I have no idea in this particular case.

Looked it up the other day.

Danny Shelton, somewhat short and fat. In year 1 of PK as DC at UW. 94 tackles, 17 TFLs, 9 sacks.

Everybody we played on the DLINE this year had about 120 tackles and 20 TFLs. Combined.

Ojomo graded out well yet no sacks, 29 tackles, 3 TFLs for a net loss of 4 yards. That doesn’t add up.

Jones was likely a huge loss. His TFL vs KSU netted as many lost yards as our sack losses from about Baylor on combined (excepting WVU). Our defense prior to his departure was much better. Coburn seemingly played a different type game vs KState. Why?

People wanna kiss Henry ToToto buttocks. He had 8 TFLs, 4 sacks. But freakin Will A had 30 something TFLs and 16 sacks. He helped create opportunities for those around him. We need that kind of guy. You can’t tell me they don’t throw blockers at him yet he still does it. That’s why I’m good throwing 7 scholarships on that front 4.

Outside of Ossai last year, we produced 12 sacks. Same guys, different scheme, same crappy results. At least rushing the passer. I just don’t think we have playmakers.
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Looked it up the other day.

Danny Shelton, somewhat short and fat. In year 1 of PK as DC at UW. 94 tackles, 17 TFLs, 9 sacks.

Everybody we played on the DLINE this year had about 120 tackles and 20 TFLs. Combined.

Ojomo graded out well yet no sacks, 29 tackles, 3 TFLs for a net loss of 4 yards. That doesn’t add up.

Jones was likely a huge loss. His TFL vs KSU netted as many lost yards as our sack losses from about Baylor on combined (excepting WVU). Our defense prior to his departure was much better. Coburn seemingly played a different type game vs KState. Why?

People wanna kiss Henry ToToto buttocks. He had 8 TFLs, 4 sacks. But freakin Will A had 30 something TFLs and 16 sacks. He helped create opportunities for those around him. We need that kind of guy. You can’t tell me they don’t throw blockers at him yet he still does it. That’s why I’m good throwing 7 scholarships on that front 4.

Outside of Ossai last year, we produced 12 sacks. Same guys, different scheme, same crappy results. At least rushing the passer. I just don’t think we have playmakers.

Will Anderson is basically a current version of Corey Moore from Va Tech in the late 90's. A bit of a tweener, so he's been discounted at times, but a wild ass football player. He's basically the best defender in college football and he really shouldn't be. He's just fucking nasty and wants it more than everybody else. That was Moore, too. They have similar stats. Anderson's got height that Moore never possessed, so I'm guessing it will get him drafted early (top 15 pick at worst as of now) when he is eligible in 2023, unlike Moore in 2000 (3rd round, but too little and didn't last long), but they're basically the same ball player.

Why does that matter? Because when I watch Anderson play, and I'm seeking an analog, I have to go back more than 2 decades to find one. So, realistically, it's best to exclude Anderson from any comparisons in order to establish achievable expectations. 

You write good stuff, but it's not reasonable to hold anyone to that kind of standard. I'd love for Texas to find a natural born leader that also happens to be the baddest motherfucker in all of college football as well, but let's start with hoping that one of the cats that Texas just signed reminds us of Joseph Ossai or Brian Orakpo first. That shit is lofty enough and would lay groundwork to resetting the defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think that the HOPE for Sark (and it's somewhat plausible) is that his play calling and scheming is really good, and he called/schemed us into first half leads against those teams, and then shitty talent level (especially at QB), piss poor S&C, and general inability to respond to their counters b/c of our lack of talent was responsible for the second halves.  Is that real or just something I tell myself?  Probably a little of both. 

hope is not a plan. 

• Hook 'Em 1