1 hour ago, Getafix said:

The streets have spoken!

Five candidates that would make sense for Texas wide receiver job

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Five candidates that would make sense for Texas wide receiver job

Mike Roach

Brennan Marion – Pittsburgh

Marion has been working his way up through the lower levels, but he’s starting to gain some national acclaim for his work. A Hampton, Virginia native, Marion played at Tulsa and spent a little bit of time in the NFL before moving onto his coaching career. Marion spent time at the high school level before moving up to Arizona State as an analyst and then Oklahoma Baptist as a running back coach. After stints at Howard and William & Mary, Marion was hired at Hawaii in 2020. In 2021, Marion joined the Pittsburgh coaching staff and helped lead the Panthers to the ACC Title. Marion has been recruiting Texas and Oklahoma for quite a while, and he’s one of the best young innovative minds in the game. The creator of the Go Go Offense, Marion could add some new offensive ideas to Steve Sarkisian’s playbook.

Joe Price – Director of Player Personnel at UTSA

Price is one of the next rising stars in off-field personnel, but he would be at his best in an on-field role where he could be on the road recruiting. A native of Houston, Price played at Aldine Nimitz before playing wide receiver at Harding University in Arkansas. Price worked in the high school ranks as the recruiting coordinator at Galena Park High School before moving to North Shore in 2014 as Passing Game Coordinator and Recruiting Coordinator. Price has deep ties to the Houston area where his father coached for over 30 years. He’s already gaining acclaim for his department’s ability to evaluate and recruit talent.

Kevin Cummings – Arizona

A Los Angeles native with a growing reputation as a coach and recruiter, Cummings played at Oregon State in college before a stint in the CFL. Cummings spent three years as a quality control coach at Oregon State before making a final play run at playing professionally during a short stint in the CFL. He returned to Oregon State as a graduate assistant and moved on to San Jose State as wide receivers coach. Cummings joined Arizona this year under first year coach Jedd Fisch. Seen as a major riser in the coaching ranks, Cummings landed elite wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan at the end of the cycle after flipping him from Oregon.

Emmett Jones – Texas Tech

Any time there’s an opening at wide receivers, I will push the name of Emmett Jones. Jones played his high school ball at Seagoville and then walked on at Texas Tech before entering the coaching profession after graduating from North Texas. Jones rose to prominence as the offensive coordinator for legendary high school coach Reginald Samples at Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline. Jones then moved on to accept the head coaching position at South Oak Cliff before taking a collegiate position at Texas Tech in 2015. When Kliff Kingsbury was fired, Jones took a position on Les Miles’ staff at Kansas. On the field, Jones was integral in the development of Texas Tech receivers Antoine Wesley, TJ Vasher, and Keke Coutee. Jones remains a top name to know for a few reasons. The former Dallas South Oak Cliff head coach is seen as a great recruiter and a strong position coach as well. Jones has ties to the staff through close friend Chris Gilbert and guys like Jeff Banks who recruited his area for years. One south Dallas coach I spoke with said, “He would win recruiter of the year at Texas. It wouldn’t even be close. He will shut down Dallas if they let him loose.”

Cortez Hankton – Georgia

It might take a lot, but Texas could look to try and pull Hankton away from Georgia. His brother Cordae is already on the Texas staff, and Cortez has been a strong recruiter in his time with the Bulldogs. A New Orleans native, Hankton would give Texas some more boots on the ground in Louisiana where they’ve made an effort to be a factor. A Texas Southern grad, Hankton had half a dozen stops at the professional level before moving into coaching. He does have the title of Pass Game Coordinator, so Texas might need to match titles and give him a raise. During his time at Georgia, Hankton helped the Dawgs land players like George Pickens, Lewis Cine and Sedrick Van Pran.

Superior than his RB coach list.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

No joke got a friend that went to Orlando instead of the oC because he was worried about covid out here.  Granted I know Disney world is far more impressive than Disneyland but still

Random fact that nobody asked or cares about...

There is an Orange County, California (at/near Disneyland)

And there is an Orange County, Florida (about a dozen miles from Disney World)
image.png.bdc1a38e247e58cd399a2eb24ffca75b.png

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This is true, mostly, but that's no reason for us to sit on our laurels.

We're in agreement and Marion would be a great signal for that. My point was that the GoGo offense is a) more than a gimmick, and b) has some real differentiation from what Sark usually does, so they could really learn from and bounce off each other.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

Damn, what an off season. Riley to USC, Cristobal to Miami, Elko to Duke, Pancake Factory, and late recruiting momentum. Then just when that momentum was slowing due to aggy dropping bags like South Austin's mom drops panties, Sark starts dropping the hammer on a few shitty coaches and Riley says hold my beer and poaches Jimbo's Oline coach. What will happen this week to keep the fun going?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Who in the fuck said I said anybody was arguing this? It's just a passing positive remark. Keep your shirt on.

Recruiting 2022 has turned around positively, sark did great replacing drayton and we may upgrade at CB and WR coaching. He’s caught between shitting on sark and complimenting him lol. It’s probably got him close to jumping.

I’ll see myself out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

We're in agreement and Marion would be a great signal for that. My point was that the GoGo offense is a) more than a gimmick, and b) has some real differentiation from what Sark usually does, so they could really learn from and bounce off each other.

Would be fun to be innovators and ahead of the game for a change. 
We haven’t been in that position since what,  the wishbone?

12 hours ago, Teryor said:

I don't think he's a bad person, he just clearly has absolutely no interest in the University of Texas. The recruiting market is so heavily saturated at this point that you're obviously not going to get some superstar to replace him (and even if they did, that person would be in a national role in no time) but man is it annoying to have a dude who so obviously is apathetic towards the school he's covering.

FWIW Roach answered a question on a podcast he was doing when E.J. was still around. 

He said he was a Longhorn fan. Had a Longhorn room even . But that he took his job seriously.  And tried to be as impartial as he could. 

He does seem pretty weak when taking a position. But hes not Lucci. 

Hes not the best by any means. Bland and inoffensive. Which to a rabit fan, is pretty offensive 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Recruiting 2022 has turned around positively, sark did great replacing drayton and we may upgrade at CB and WR coaching. He’s caught between shitting on sark and complimenting him lol. It’s probably got him close to jumping.

I’ll see myself out. 

So, uh, youre crediting sark with turning around recruiting by himself, are you? That’s pretty ironic considering the guy youre attempting to mock. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

FWIW Roach answered a question on a podcast he was doing when E.J. was still around. 

He said he was a Longhorn fan. Had a Longhorn room even . But that he took his job seriously.  And tried to be as impartial as he could. 

Hes not the best by any means. Bland and inoffensive. Which to a rabit fan, is pretty offensive 

I think Roach USA decent dude which is rare in 9.95 land.  I bitch about Nahlin too but he’s a fan unlike Ketch who has publically stated that he’s in it for the money and doesn’t care at all

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I’ll see myself out. 

I’m not caught between anything. I’m a big fan of giving credit where it is due and withholding praise until it is earned.

As a for instance, I can give Sarkisian credit for fixing his own fuck ups on the hiring fronts when he replaces dead weight he retained,or brought in, with better fits this cycle, provided he actually does that. I can do that without forgetting that he’s been a loser of a HC so far and he has a fuckton to prove on that front before anyone should be patting him on the back.

Similarly, I can give you credit for showing up on this board and insipidly taking up space while withholding credit on the premise that you provide any value as a poster until you do anything besides follow a few of us around to passive aggressively talk shit at us with weak posts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, uh, youre crediting sark with turning around recruiting by himself, are you? That’s pretty ironic considering the guy youre attempting to mock. 

Blamed for every wrong; not responsible for any right.

Gray is an unpopular shade around here these days. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

914d51b0a6a7cc0207f704d619ba8a6d.jpg
  • Haha 4