2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It’s quite possible, and absolutely makes sense, that head coaches don’t hold Samples on the same tier as Texas fans do. I mean, he’d likely still be at SMU if it wasn’t for the entire staff shifting down the street. He may prove to be extremely valuable down the road, but so far it doesn’t appear as though Dykes is fighting to hang on to him.

As long as his dad is at Dunc he is a great resource to get in to a school that has a shit ton on D1 talent. As long as he continues to recruit lights out he will always find a decent job. Now if he can coach a non TE/RB position that is a homerun. TBD on coaching 

8 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It’s quite possible, and absolutely makes sense, that head coaches don’t hold Samples on the same tier as Texas fans do. I mean, he’d likely still be at SMU if it wasn’t for the entire staff shifting down the street. He may prove to be extremely valuable down the road, but so far it doesn’t appear as though Dykes is fighting to hang on to him.

I don't think Dykes would be thrilled to lose him. He has proven to be a very good DFW recruiter if nothing else. We'll see how TCU does on O this year - he's tagged as the run game coordinator so I'd assume he's at least privy to playcalling and scheme discussions. 

8 minutes ago, Beer Horn said:

As long as his dad is at Dunc he is a great resource to get in to a school that has a shit ton on D1 talent. As long as he continues to recruit lights out he will always find a decent job. Now if he can coach a non TE/RB position that is a homerun. TBD on coaching 

In my opinion, Texas, especially considering it’s record on development of WRs, is not in the position to take a flyer on the WR coaching position. Texas should be held in higher regards than a “decent job”.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You said Dykes wasn't fighting to hang onto him. Just responding to that.

There’s a difference between fighting to hang on to something and being upset if it’s gone. I don’t have suitors beating my door down trying to steal my wife but it would suck if she left me.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Beer Horn said:

Well, we did/are doing pretty well at Duncanville without him this cycle. Gilbert makes Samples redundant if all you’re hiring him for is DFW. Go get someone who people outside the state of Texas have heard of.

Edited by Hank_Hill

52 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm starting to feel bad for Roach, I know he visits this site, other boards and sees what the majority think of him.  Hope that DCTF opens up a slot for him soon, i'm pretty sure that's where his heart is at.

I don't think he's a bad person, he just clearly has absolutely no interest in the University of Texas. The recruiting market is so heavily saturated at this point that you're obviously not going to get some superstar to replace him (and even if they did, that person would be in a national role in no time) but man is it annoying to have a dude who so obviously is apathetic towards the school he's covering.

7 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

There’s a difference between fighting to hang on to something and being upset if it’s gone. I don’t have suitors beating my door down trying to steal my wife but it would suck if she left me.

Ah I see what you meant. Just misinterpreted it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Samples isn't just sitting around waiting for Sark to call. He may or may not want to coach at Texas right now. Just like we may or may not be targeting him. 

I think Samples has a case of the ass for texas because we didnt promote him to an  onfield position,  when he was here. 

Probably some bad blood with Herman, but who would be suprised by that?

11 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I think Samples has a case of the ass for texas because we didnt promote him to an  onfield position,  when he was here. 

Probably some bad blood with Herman, but who would be suprised by that?

It’s funny that they think Samples and Jones were offered the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The streets have spoken!

Five candidates that would make sense for Texas wide receiver job

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

Brennan Marion – Pittsburgh

Marion has been working his way up through the lower levels, but he’s starting to gain some national acclaim for his work. A Hampton, Virginia native, Marion played at Tulsa and spent a little bit of time in the NFL before moving onto his coaching career. Marion spent time at the high school level before moving up to Arizona State as an analyst and then Oklahoma Baptist as a running back coach. After stints at Howard and William & Mary, Marion was hired at Hawaii in 2020. In 2021, Marion joined the Pittsburgh coaching staff and helped lead the Panthers to the ACC Title. Marion has been recruiting Texas and Oklahoma for quite a while, and he’s one of the best young innovative minds in the game. The creator of the Go Go Offense, Marion could add some new offensive ideas to Steve Sarkisian’s playbook.

Joe Price – Director of Player Personnel at UTSA

Price is one of the next rising stars in off-field personnel, but he would be at his best in an on-field role where he could be on the road recruiting. A native of Houston, Price played at Aldine Nimitz before playing wide receiver at Harding University in Arkansas. Price worked in the high school ranks as the recruiting coordinator at Galena Park High School before moving to North Shore in 2014 as Passing Game Coordinator and Recruiting Coordinator. Price has deep ties to the Houston area where his father coached for over 30 years. He’s already gaining acclaim for his department’s ability to evaluate and recruit talent.

Kevin Cummings – Arizona

A Los Angeles native with a growing reputation as a coach and recruiter, Cummings played at Oregon State in college before a stint in the CFL. Cummings spent three years as a quality control coach at Oregon State before making a final play run at playing professionally during a short stint in the CFL. He returned to Oregon State as a graduate assistant and moved on to San Jose State as wide receivers coach. Cummings joined Arizona this year under first year coach Jedd Fisch. Seen as a major riser in the coaching ranks, Cummings landed elite wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan at the end of the cycle after flipping him from Oregon.

Emmett Jones – Texas Tech

Any time there’s an opening at wide receivers, I will push the name of Emmett Jones. Jones played his high school ball at Seagoville and then walked on at Texas Tech before entering the coaching profession after graduating from North Texas. Jones rose to prominence as the offensive coordinator for legendary high school coach Reginald Samples at Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline. Jones then moved on to accept the head coaching position at South Oak Cliff before taking a collegiate position at Texas Tech in 2015. When Kliff Kingsbury was fired, Jones took a position on Les Miles’ staff at Kansas. On the field, Jones was integral in the development of Texas Tech receivers Antoine Wesley, TJ Vasher, and Keke Coutee. Jones remains a top name to know for a few reasons. The former Dallas South Oak Cliff head coach is seen as a great recruiter and a strong position coach as well. Jones has ties to the staff through close friend Chris Gilbert and guys like Jeff Banks who recruited his area for years. One south Dallas coach I spoke with said, “He would win recruiter of the year at Texas. It wouldn’t even be close. He will shut down Dallas if they let him loose.”

Cortez Hankton – Georgia

It might take a lot, but Texas could look to try and pull Hankton away from Georgia. His brother Cordae is already on the Texas staff, and Cortez has been a strong recruiter in his time with the Bulldogs. A New Orleans native, Hankton would give Texas some more boots on the ground in Louisiana where they’ve made an effort to be a factor. A Texas Southern grad, Hankton had half a dozen stops at the professional level before moving into coaching. He does have the title of Pass Game Coordinator, so Texas might need to match titles and give him a raise. During his time at Georgia, Hankton helped the Dawgs land players like George Pickens, Lewis Cine and Sedrick Van Pran.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The streets have spoken!

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

Marion has been working his way up through the lower levels, but he’s starting to gain some national acclaim for his work. A Hampton, Virginia native, Marion played at Tulsa and spent a little bit of time in the NFL before moving onto his coaching career. Marion spent time at the high school level before moving up to Arizona State as an analyst and then Oklahoma Baptist as a running back coach. After stints at Howard and William & Mary, Marion was hired at Hawaii in 2020. In 2021, Marion joined the Pittsburgh coaching staff and helped lead the Panthers to the ACC Title. Marion has been recruiting Texas and Oklahoma for quite a while, and he’s one of the best young innovative minds in the game. The creator of the Go Go Offense, Marion could add some new offensive ideas to Steve Sarkisian’s playbook.

Price is one of the next rising stars in off-field personnel, but he would be at his best in an on-field role where he could be on the road recruiting. A native of Houston, Price played at Aldine Nimitz before playing wide receiver at Harding University in Arkansas. Price worked in the high school ranks as the recruiting coordinator at Galena Park High School before moving to North Shore in 2014 as Passing Game Coordinator and Recruiting Coordinator. Price has deep ties to the Houston area where his father coached for over 30 years. He’s already gaining acclaim for his department’s ability to evaluate and recruit talent.

Kevin Cummings – Arizona

A Los Angeles native with a growing reputation as a coach and recruiter, Cummings played at Oregon State in college before a stint in the CFL. Cummings spent three years as a quality control coach at Oregon State before making a final play run at playing professionally during a short stint in the CFL. He returned to Oregon State as a graduate assistant and moved on to San Jose State as wide receivers coach. Cummings joined Arizona this year under first year coach Jedd Fisch. Seen as a major riser in the coaching ranks, Cummings landed elite wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan at the end of the cycle after flipping him from Oregon.

Any time there’s an opening at wide receivers, I will push the name of Emmett Jones. Jones played his high school ball at Seagoville and then walked on at Texas Tech before entering the coaching profession after graduating from North Texas. Jones rose to prominence as the offensive coordinator for legendary high school coach Reginald Samples at Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline. Jones then moved on to accept the head coaching position at South Oak Cliff before taking a collegiate position at Texas Tech in 2015. When Kliff Kingsbury was fired, Jones took a position on Les Miles’ staff at Kansas. On the field, Jones was integral in the development of Texas Tech receivers Antoine Wesley, TJ Vasher, and Keke Coutee. Jones remains a top name to know for a few reasons. The former Dallas South Oak Cliff head coach is seen as a great recruiter and a strong position coach as well. Jones has ties to the staff through close friend Chris Gilbert and guys like Jeff Banks who recruited his area for years. One south Dallas coach I spoke with said, “He would win recruiter of the year at Texas. It wouldn’t even be close. He will shut down Dallas if they let him loose.”

Cortez Hankton – Georgia

It might take a lot, but Texas could look to try and pull Hankton away from Georgia. His brother Cordae is already on the Texas staff, and Cortez has been a strong recruiter in his time with the Bulldogs. A New Orleans native, Hankton would give Texas some more boots on the ground in Louisiana where they’ve made an effort to be a factor. A Texas Southern grad, Hankton had half a dozen stops at the professional level before moving into coaching. He does have the title of Pass Game Coordinator, so Texas might need to match titles and give him a raise. During his time at Georgia, Hankton helped the Dawgs land players like George Pickens, Lewis Cine and Sedrick Van Pran.

Seriously? The UTSA Player Personnel director? That is some shameless source fluffing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Jordan Addison next to Worthy next year would not even be fair. 

Throw in Mims and the UNC kid coupled with Bijan flying out of the backfield. Waddle could come off the bench maybe. I'd pay good money, treefiddy even, to watch Quinn spread the ball around in that offense.

Edited by Bevo14

30 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The streets have spoken!

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

Kevin Cummings – Arizona

Cortez Hankton – Georgia

247 got scooped by 3+ hours on this. Roach bringing up Jones name is laughable. He and Maguire have known each other for over 20 years—that isn’t happening. 
I wonder if Joseph makes it through the end of the week?  

• Haha 1

The streets have spoken!

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

Kevin Cummings – Arizona

Cortez Hankton – Georgia

247 got scooped by 3+ hours on this. Roach bringing up Jones name is laughable. He and Maguire have known each other for over 20 years—that isn’t happening. 

The streets have spoken!

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

Kevin Cummings – Arizona

Cortez Hankton – Georgia