2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

17 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Sometimes you get better by culling out those not carrying their weight.  Anchors slow you down type thing.  If it was getting toxic you let them go before you have the backfill.

That said, I have no idea in this particular case.

28 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Well maybe that was the reason

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Pitt paid Mr. Whipple $476,450 last year

money whipping Marion may be easier said than done

We can top that but Pitt OC is likely a quicker path to big-time OC or HC than being a WR coach anywhere (assuming he does well of course). He clearly has his eyes set on bigger things so he's likely thinking about what sets him up for the next steps.

Side note on that point - it feels like Marion would be a 1-2 year rental most likely until he gets an OC job. Maybe the one negative with him.

Edit: My personal guess is that he'd take Pitt OC if the offer is real but would pick us over Temple. Obviously pure speculation though so who knows.

Edited by Tex-19

Just now, Tex-19 said:

We can top that but Pitt OC is likely a quicker path to big-time OC or HC than being a WR coach anywhere (assuming he does well of course). He clearly has his eyes set on bigger things so he's likely thinking about what sets him up for the next steps.

Side note on that point - it feels like Marion would be a 1-2 year rental most likely until he gets an OC job. Maybe the one negative with him.

He's a WR coach. If he succeeds and keeps climbing the ladder that's more than fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Footwork King is a piece of shit. NIL couldn’t be happening to a better asshole than this guy. I look forward to the day when players aren’t being actively trafficked by masters disguised as “trainers” in all of this. 

You're hating the player... (as we Longhorns always tend to do when we aren't winning the game... FWK, Willie Lyles, et al.)

NIL isn't going to make this any better. More money will create more "3rd Party" friends of the family...

Trust me, there once was a time when I knew some people who knew players...  and players would get recruited... and family members would go to people who coached a bunch of kids in little league and they'd say, "we have all of these schools coming to us and all of these coaches calling, we don't know what to do..."

and then said little league would say, "You need to talk to Snacks.  Snacks went to Texas. Snacks has an MBA... Snacks has seen some things and knows some things."

and just like that, Snacks is sitting in living rooms with a couple of parents and some position coaches, just trying to guide a couple guys through a process...

Now, imagine if Snacks wanted to get a good grip on a couple of schools and be a helper...  What would have been the most likely outcome?  Would it be Snacks asking for $5k, to help the kid make a decision?  No, it would have been a school asking Snacks, "How can we help you help the kid come our way, $nacks??"

Now, multiply this scenario with NIL. You have a bunch of parents that have no idea what NIL really is, other than money.  They won't know anything about evaluating an opportunity with a school.  They will all think they're kid is getting $1MM to sign at Big State or $20k to sign at Lil State...  and they'll believe they need guides to help them not mess it up (and many will...)

spacer.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Edit: My personal guess is that he'd take Pitt OC if the offer is real but would pick us over Temple. Obviously pure speculation though so who knows.

Our RB coach just got a HC job. Him leaving also frees up the AHC title if we need to give that out 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

You're hating the player... (as we Longhorns always tend to do when we aren't winning the game... FWK, Willie Lyles, et al.)

NIL isn't going to make this any better. More money will create more "3rd Party" friends of the family...

Trust me, there once was a time when I knew some people who knew players...  and players would get recruited... and family members would go to people who coached a bunch of kids in little league and they'd say, "we have all of these schools coming to us and all of these coaches calling, we don't know what to do..."

and then said little league would say, "You need to talk to Snacks.  Snacks went to Texas. Snacks has an MBA... Snacks has seen some things and knows some things."

and just like that, Snacks is sitting in living rooms with a couple of parents and some position coaches, just trying to guide a couple guys through a process...

Now, imagine if Snacks wanted to get a good grip on a couple of schools and be a helper...  What would have been the most likely outcome?  Would it be Snacks asking for $5k, to help the kid make a decision?  No, it would have been a school asking Snacks, "How can we help you help the kid come our way, $nacks??"

Now, multiply this scenario with NIL. You have a bunch of parents that have no idea what NIL really is, other than money.  They won't know anything about evaluating an opportunity with a school.  They will all think they're kid is getting $1MM to sign at Big State or $20k to sign at Lil State...  and they'll believe they need guides to help them not mess it up (and many will...)

spacer.png

yup

35 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

If Marion comes to Texas it is a resume trade for him. Sark is well respected and now he adds that to his resume along with the Go-Go offense. He also checks the box on recruiting on a big boy level. You are right it is a rental, but it can be beneficial to both sides. Marion comes in ,recruits well, and WR flourish, he is gone in 2-3 years for a P5 OC gig. That works for TExas and Marion. 

Edited by Codaxx

16 minutes ago, Snacks said:

spacer.png

* their

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Our RB coach just got a HC job. Him leaving also frees up the AHC title if we need to give that out 

serious question, is there actually a limit in NCAA regs on how many AHC's/Co-whatevers you can have?  or is it limited by the school?

12 minutes ago, OB3 said:

I thought Banks was AHC? 

Drayton was AHC/RB/RGC. Banks is AHC/TE/St

6 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Just give him 750k and call him co-OC or grand moff

youre far too trusting episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

serious question, is there actually a limit in NCAA regs on how many AHC's/Co-whatevers you can have?  or is it limited by the school?

Honestly not sure, I think all titles in general are bullshit and a scam to make people seem self important

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Snacks said:

spacer.png

Preaching to the choir, boss. Doesn't mean FWK is any less of an asshole, and it certainly doesn't mean that the trainer game doesn't need to evolve in response to NIL. 

Street agents controlled the market as the primary conduit to cash transactions between schools and families. Now schools are having wealth conversations with elite prospects and offering UBI++ for athletes. There will still be families that choose cash now, but that market is slowing to a trickle. 

Unfortunately, the most likely outcome is an increase in attempting to 'build a brand' for high school athletes. We'll see more Lou Pearlman/Don King promoter types looking for parent money and cuts from actual NIL deals. That said, it will never turn back into what it was imo, because actual agents exist and can set a legitimate market that street agents will have to sell against and unlike other things recently legalized in certain states, the underground market won't provide a cheaper or more profitable alternative to the legitimate one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Snacks said:

spacer.png

Aren’t players getting actual agents now? I know Ewers did to negotiate his NIL deals. You are correct that families will seek guidance and expertise on these matters but NIL will just take these matters above board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Aren’t players getting actual agents now? I know Ewers did to negotiate his NIL deals. You are correct that families will seek guidance and expertise on these matters but NIL will just take these matters above board. 

Segmentation.

SLC vs Da Fo Fo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Drayton was AHC/RB/RGC. Banks is AHC/TE/St

youre far too trusting episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

Honestly not sure, I think all titles in general are bullshit and a scam to make people seem self important

Actually, the titles are a way of differentiating (ie, paying more) under the state employee system.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

spacer.png

1) I'm not hating the game. I simply think Footwork King and Willie Lyles and the others like them are little more than pimps.

2) NIL will impact this shit in fundamental ways and yes, make it better for everyone but those thriving in dark markets. Your experience in the prior era doesn't change that. When what is done in the dark is brought to the light, due to more money and more interest, all of the fake shit starts to get washed away. It becomes harder to sell ethereal value. 

• Hook 'Em 9

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) I'm not hating the game. I simply think Footwork King and Willie Lyles and the others like them are little more than pimps.

2) NIL will impact this shit in fundamental ways and yes, make it better for everyone but those thriving in dark markets. Your experience in the prior era doesn't change that. When what is done in the dark is brought to the light, due to more money and more interest, all of the fake shit starts to get washed away. It becomes harder to sell ethereal value. 

I wish I could share the same optimism as you with regards to NIL putting an end to the uncle, personal trainer, and bagman thing. Maybe long term once big boy college football becomes an officialy minor league system with structure it will. I think both will coincide short term to maybe even mid-term, especially for those athletes that come from poverty stricken areas and immediate cash could highly influence their decision making process vs waiting to arrive on a campus and getting NIL money. If your family really needs a the money they'll do whatever it takes to obtain, especially if that number continues to escalate. 

I think will continue to co-exist somehow but we don't have the under the table stuff setup well enough to compete there. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Footwork King is a piece of shit. NIL couldn’t be happening to a better asshole than this guy. I look forward to the day when players aren’t being actively trafficked by masters disguised as “trainers” in all of this. 

I'm guessing you had no intention on quoting me right?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

i do agree that more light is a good thing... but the dark loophole is already built in...

Schools can't say, "We'll give you an NIL deal" to a HS player.  They can say, "As you can see, our players have these great NIL opportunities."

3rd Party: "Texas gives the OL $50k."

Other school booster: "What will it take? We don't have the program to give every OL $50k, but we can probably get your 5* player $75k plus whatever else he can find once he's here... and $5k to your organization as a consultant."

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wish I could share the same optimism as you with regards to NIL putting an end to the uncle, personal trainer, and bagman thing. Maybe long term once big boy college football becomes an officialy minor league system with structure it will. I think both will coincide short term to maybe even mid-term, especially for those athletes that come from poverty stricken areas and immediate cash could highly influence their decision making process vs waiting to arrive on a campus and getting NIL money. If your family really needs a the money they'll do whatever it takes to obtain, especially if that number continues to escalate. 

I think will continue to co-exist somehow but we don't have the under the table stuff setup well enough to compete there. 

I was with you but I think they will be minimized.  It'll be like a job now and I don't need an uncle to tell me which company to work for.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I was with you but I think they will be minimized.  It'll be like a job now and I don't need an uncle to tell me which company to work for.

Given your recent betting history at this time I won't be taking any considerations you may have with regards to things such as this and other endeavors seriously.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Your reading comprehension to reasoning skills is an irritant on this board at times. I said nothing of the sort involving the "end" of the bag game, and never have. I've steadfastly maintained that the dark market will continue to exist and serve its purpose for participants. In other words, no shit it will continue to exist. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Snacks said:

i do agree that more light is a good thing... but the dark loophole is already built in...

Schools can't say, "We'll give you an NIL deal" to a HS player.  They can say, "As you can see, our players have these great NIL opportunities."

3rd Party: "Texas gives the OL $50k."

Other school booster: "What will it take? We don't have the program to give every OL $50k, but we can probably get your 5* player $75k plus whatever else he can find once he's here... and $5k to your organization as a consultant."

You are looking at the floor and assuming it's a ceiling. Change your orientation and ultimately you'll see an asymptote for dark market value trending towards irrelevance for the vast swath of market participants. 

• Hook 'Em 4

If it helps folks regarding street agents and "NIL vs Bag Game", there will always be a place for bag men as facilitators in various forms. They'll all continue to get paid to get guys to unofficially visit, officially visit, commit, etc. That's always been chump change money to programs and all of them, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan included, work within that structure. The scenario where the agent/uncle gets $75k to have the player sign is where there is currently quicksand.

As it works quite often in these kinds of conditions, the highest, craziest premiums will be applied in the dark market just before its utter deflation. We just witnessed that in real time as ATM started posting uncle payments in this cycle that no one has ever seen before. Whatever got dropped on Harris' camp's lap between his meeting with Texas on Friday and his telling everyone he was heading to ATM on Sunday was allegedly bluntly startling. 

We'll either hear about the craziest shit CFB recruiting has ever done for the 2023 cycle, or ATM just finished doing that, and then conversations across the board go from tentatively evolving to matter of fact towards NIL's direction other than the corner cases.

• Hook 'Em 7