2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

18 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Weird he would be upset.  Word on the street is that no one on the staff actually contributes to recruiting with the exception of Flood and even then he was saved by NIL.  

Yeah this ain’t right.  Banks and Davis are plus recruiters and there are others.  

Edited by JOSEYWALES66

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Andre Coleman was well liked by players. Lots of coaches and employees who fucking suck are wildly beloved by players and co-workers yet suck at their fucking jobs.

That was not my point. I was talking about the director of recruiting whose job it is to build relationships with parents and prospects. Based on what I know personally from guys who have been/are being recruited by Texas. They think he's doing a good job of recruiting them. There's more to it than that so thats why I asked the question for clarification. 

The tweet I posted was Harris talking about how much he loves his boss which seemed a little off for a dude who is about to get fired.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

he tweet I posted was Harris talking about how much he loves his boss which seemed a little off for a dude who is about to get fired.

Maybe he’s not being “fired,” but genuinely being offered an opportunity elsewhere. Sark, being relieved he no longer has to actually “fire” him, now gets to have a nice chat with him about how much he appreciates and values Harris, but wants nothing more than for him to take this opportunity and go get ‘em! 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Maybe he’s not being “fired,” but genuinely being offered an opportunity elsewhere. Sark, being relieved he no longer has to actually “fire” him, now gets to have a nice chat with him about how much he appreciates and values Harris, but wants nothing more than for him to take this opportunity and go get ‘em! 

Is Harris dumb enough to not understand what would be going on there though? "Hey - you've been doing a great job with us here at Morgan Stanley - and we're sad to lose you to the Wells Fargo in Macon, Georgia. Go kill it, champ!"

This isn't like him taking a job at Baylor or TCU. It's Temple. 

Based on this year and reputation the coaches we didn't want to lose were Banks, Flood, and Bo Davis. Is anyone shocked that our best two position groups from a recruiting perspective happened to be at positions with 2 of our best recruiters and with NIL kicking in for the OL? 

Personally, I don't think the jury is out on Choate. He had nothing to work with at LB but I guess you could make an argument his personnel choices were questionable last season. Let me see what happens on the transfer market at LB.  I would like to see an upgrade at one of the DB positions (particularly Joseph). I can live with Milwee because he's apparently an important piece to Sark's offense. 

To me this offseason couldn't be going better in terms of upgrading the staff-

Choice > Drayton (might be controversial but it shouldn't be. One is a decent recruiter and the other is a volume recruiter)

Anybody> Coleman

Texas can definitely upgrade over Harris. 

If Texas is able to make hires like Choice and Marion it should really  push Sark to make some defensive staff changes because there's no doubt he could upgrade at a couple of those positions. We need another plus recruiter on the defensive side of the ball. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is Harris dumb enough to not understand what would be going on there though? "Hey - you've been doing a great job with us here at Morgan Stanley - and we're sad to lose you to the Wells Fargo in Macon, Georgia. Go kill it, champ!"

It's a promotion as well, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It’s a promotion, period. And who knows, maybe they’ve had a really bad ass heart to heart about it. Sark seems like he can be a biglittle softy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I get that. Just saying I'm not sure how well Sark would be able to disguise that. 

Fact is, in this business, when you’re good to your coaches, they appreciate it. He may also be doing Sark a solid on the way out by talking him (Texas) up. 

or worst case he begged his ass to stay *ducks

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

It’s a promotion, period. And who knows, maybe they’ve had a really bad ass heart to heart about it. Sark seems like he can be a biglittle softy. 

Best case scenario it's Harris' idea in the first place and he can get right with the players and 2023 kids before taking off.

Just not totally sure I buy that. 

54 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Weird he would be upset.  Word on the street is that no one on the staff actually contributes to recruiting with the exception of Flood and even then he was saved by NIL.  

Bo Davis would have a word with you.

• Like 1

It seems some don't understands but in this world, at this level, there is plenty of "uh, Coleman/Harris we are going to go a different direction, start looking and we'll help if we can" type stuff.

there is a time limit of course and that may have run out on Coleman

for Harris and Coleman it is good to not make waves on the way out.  you may want Sark/CDC to give you a thumbs up later.

Edited by dcar00

Want to trade user names? Seems like you need it more than me.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Choice > Drayton (might be controversial but it shouldn't be. One is a decent recruiter and the other is a volume recruiter)

That honestly should say TBD. Drayton not have been a rain maker but he definitely year in and year out always had that Room as the best on the team and had Daniel Young looking like a potential Starting back . . 

Edited by D3zii

19 minutes ago, D3zii said:

That honestly should say TBD. Drayton not have been a rain maker but he definitely year in and year out always had that Room as the best on the team and had Daniel Young looking like a potential Starting back . . 

People give Drayton way too much credit. 

1) Drayton gets a lot of credit for Bijan but Beck also played a huge role in that recruitment. 

2) Roschon Johnson moved to RB because the depth was terrible and we needed somebody talented at the position. Drayton gets some credit for the development I guess but the only reason Johnson is in the "RB room" is because Drayton had some misses in previous years.  

3) Keilan Robinson transferred here because of Sark. 

4) Blue was a good get and Brooks was a good evaluation. 

Drayton did a good job at RB but nothing spectacular IMO and when you factor in that he wasn't a volume recruiter at other positions I think Choice will definitely be an upgrade if he's decent at development. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

We know. We all know. You're like a child coming up to the dinner table, trying to inform the adults that Santa Claus -- gasp! -- isn't real, and that it was his parents all along. And the parents in question are at the table at the time.

Thanks for ruining Christmas for the rest of us dick. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

2) Roschon Johnson moved to RB because the depth was terrible and we needed somebody talented at the position. Drayton gets some credit for the development I guess but the only reason Johnson is in the "RB room" is because Drayton had some misses in previous years.  

I wouldn't blame Drayton too much for Herman telling Noah Cain to fuck off for no apparent reason. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Have you looked at the RB room? Lets not forget Beck was brought in to recruit Bijan and Keontay Ingram. Texas had to move RJ to RB, because the room was empty. Texas wanted to take 2 RBs this year and lost Miller and I think Gatson (though we thought that turned out well at the time). Missed on Wheaton and LJ Johnson in 2021. Missed on pretty much everyone on 2019 (Trey Sanders and Noah Cain for starters) and settled on D Brown, which didnt work out well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Lol wut? Tell us you eat paint chips and don’t watch football without telling us you eat paint chips and don’t watch football. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

People give Drayton way too much credit. 

1) Drayton gets a lot of credit for Bijan but Beck also played a huge role in that recruitment. 

3) Keilan Robinson transferred here because of Sark. 

4) Blue was a good get and Brooks was a good evaluation. 

Drayton did a good job at RB but nothing spectacular IMO and when you factor in that he wasn't a volume recruiter at other positions I think Choice will definitely be an upgrade if he's decent at development. 

Calling balls and strikes here, Drayton doesn’t get too much credit for Bijan. Beck initiated with Bijan, which any major program should have someone doing, and Drayton closed it because he randomly was the perfect match for Bijan. Drayton sucked as a volume recruiter, but he was the primary factor for landing Bijan 

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Based on this year and reputation the coaches we didn't want to lose were Banks, Flood, and Bo Davis. Is anyone shocked that our best two position groups from a recruiting perspective happened to be at positions with 2 of our best recruiters and with NIL kicking in for the OL? 

Personally, I don't think the jury is out on Choate. He had nothing to work with at LB but I guess you could make an argument his personnel choices were questionable last season. Let me see what happens on the transfer market at LB.  I would like to see an upgrade at one of the DB positions (particularly Joseph). I can live with Milwee because he's apparently an important piece to Sark's offense. 

To me this offseason couldn't be going better in terms of upgrading the staff-

Anybody> Coleman

Texas can definitely upgrade over Harris. 

If Texas is able to make hires like Choice and Marion it should really  push Sark to make some defensive staff changes because there's no doubt he could upgrade at a couple of those positions. We need another plus recruiter on the defensive side of the ball. 

image.jpeg.6d1fc7aafba27e6c6f7a7e5d9975b637.jpeg

The other possibility I haven’t seen mentioned is that Drayton is helping out a guy he coached with by forcing Texas to give Harris a raise. The obvious float to the media about how “he’s the top choice, but it’s not a done deal yet, Texas has an opportunity to ante up” reeks of an attempt to get public/player opinion riled up and convince the administration to pay that man his money. Like what Carrington did with LSU a few years back. 

If this is the play, of course none of this works if sark actually wants him gone. 

3 hours ago, D3zii said:

y’all be ready to down coaches once they leave, I get it but to sit here and act like Drayton wasn’t a good coach in every aspect and already crown Choice is wired. . . 

Outside of Bijan and RoJo, which RBs would you say have performed extremely well? Bijan is unbelievably  talented and RoJo is special in his own way, which I believe has contributed to his accomplishments. In other words, I’m struggling to give too much credit for either’s success to Drayton’s coaching ability. In fact, I’m hoping to see Bijan’s blocking ability to take a major leap forward under new guidance.

13 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Glasscock is nothing special and could certainly be upgraded. 

Sarkisian allegedly digs the guy and relies on him heavily. I doubt he’s exiting. 

12 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

That was not my point. I was talking about the director of recruiting whose job it is to build relationships with parents and prospects. Based on what I know personally from guys who have been/are being recruited by Texas. They think he's doing a good job of recruiting them. There's more to it than that so thats why I asked the question for clarification. 

The tweet I posted was Harris talking about how much he loves his boss which seemed a little off for a dude who is about to get fired.

Being “liked” means fuckall in Harris’ role. It was fine to just bullshit and play video games with recruits in his prior role, but there’s work to be done regarding actual relationship building in his current job. Overcoming objections, digging into the depths of what a recruit is really thinking and valuing, understanding where a recruit’s head is and where he’s trending, and finally, knowing what’s going on with the recruit, his parents and handlers, and other programs. Harris sucked at all of that. We knew D Miller was going to decommit before Harris did. He needs to get the fuck out.

It’s sadly obvious and shocking to me that a number of you guys have never managed people and talent in your life. Someone being “nice” or “liked” as the best attribute you can use for them in the workplace means the chair needs to be emptied. Up or out, motherfucker, and if you’re not making our org competitively advantaged and growing ahead of the competition, here’s a set of steak knives and don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya as you roll out of here carrying your big cardboard box. 

6 hours ago, Redmen62 said:

The other possibility I haven’t seen mentioned is that Drayton is helping out a guy he coached with by forcing Texas to give Harris a raise. The obvious float to the media about how “he’s the top choice, but it’s not a done deal yet, Texas has an opportunity to ante up” reeks of an attempt to get public/player opinion riled up and convince the administration to pay that man his money. Like what Carrington did with LSU a few years back. 

If this is the play, of course none of this works if sark actually wants him gone. 

This is silly fan fiction at its worst. No one is going through that level of political gymnastics for a guy of Harris’ rank. Drayton has bigger things going on and is probably more overwhelmed as of right now than he’s ever been in his life. This story got pushed to reporters from the UT end, if anything. 

• Hook 'Em 5

The other thought on Harris is that maybe just he needs more experience. He was put into a role for which he didn’t have enough skills or experience. Does that mean he will never be able to do that job effectively? Maybe. But if he goes off somewhere else and learns and maybe gets mentored along the way, he might get better. A lot of times the message boards put coaches and personnel into black and white boxes of good and bad, but sometimes they just need experience. I haven’t talked to anyone specifically about Harris, so I’m just talking generally here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian allegedly digs the guy and relies on him heavily. I doubt he’s exiting. 

Being “liked” means fuckall in Harris’ role. It was fine to just bullshit and play video games with recruits in his prior role, but there’s work to be done regarding actual relationship building in his current job. Overcoming objections, digging into the depths of what a recruit is really thinking and valuing, understanding where a recruit’s head is and where he’s trending, and finally, knowing what’s going on with the recruit, his parents and handlers, and other programs. Harris sucked at all of that. We knew D Miller was going to decommit before Harris did. He needs to get the fuck out.

It’s sadly obvious and shocking to me that a number of you guys have never managed people and talent in your life. Someone being “nice” or “liked” as the best attribute you can use for them in the workplace means the chair needs to be emptied. Up or out, motherfucker, and if you’re not making our org competitively advantaged and growing ahead of the competition, here’s a set of steak knives and don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya as you roll out of here carrying your big cardboard box. 

This is silly fan fiction at its worst. No one is going through that level of political gymnastics for a guy of Harris’ rank. Drayton has bigger things going on and is probably more overwhelmed as of right now than he’s ever been in his life. This story got pushed to reporters from the UT end, if anything. 

So is he substantially to blame for the staff's overconfidence in their standing with many of the recruits this spring/summer?

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The other thought on Harris is that maybe just he needs more experience. He was put into a role for which he didn’t have enough skills or experience. Does that mean he will never be able to do that job effectively? Maybe. But if he goes off somewhere else and learns and maybe gets mentored along the way, he might get better. A lot of times the message boards put coaches and personnel into black and white boxes of good and bad, but sometimes they just need experience. I haven’t talked to anyone specifically about Harris, so I’m just talking generally here.  

So he's Hudson Card?

• Haha 2