2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe. I’m not sure Saban was a better cultural fit and he worked out well.

Les Miles is also a Midwesterner, but he was an imbecile so he fit in just fine.

Yeah I guess no one that isn't from there is really a great fit.  I will say though that Saban grew up in West Virginia hillbilly country which is culturally a lot closer than anything in Kelly's background.  Even Miles had spent a number of years in Stillwater as assistant and head coach as well as in Dallas.

Kelly on the other hand doesn't look to have ever set foot south of the Ohio River, grew up in Massachusetts, and spent all of his career in Michigan, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Notre Dame.  I may end up being completely wrong on this but it just seemed an awful fit to me when announced.

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Yeah I guess no one that isn't from there is really a great fit.  I will say though that Saban grew up in West Virginia hillbilly country which is culturally a lot closer than anything in Kelly's background.  Even Miles had spent a number of years in Stillwater as assistant and head coach as well as in Dallas.

Kelly on the other hand doesn't look to have ever set foot south of the Ohio River, grew up in Massachusetts, and spent all of his career in Michigan, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Notre Dame.  I may end up being completely wrong on this but it just seemed an awful fit to me when announced.

You're not wrong, Kelly was a bad fit for Texas an even worse fit for LSU. I don't see it working out there but should be good entertainment regardless.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Kelly just seemed like a bad fit from the get go. 

Long game.  LSU hired Kelly for 2 years, & let aggy drop bags for a #1 class.  Jimbo will go 8-4 for 2 more years there, then jump to LSU with the "hits" from this year's class portalling after him.  LSU playing chess up in here.  😆

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Napier.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't know what you're smoking if you think this "offensive staff is laughable." 

1) Juluke was the Footballscoop RB coach of the year in '19, has produced a couple NFL RBs at ULL, and is well respected in Louisiana. 

2) Colbert was very good at USC and produced a ton of NFL draft picks at WR. 

3) Sale was the Footballscoop OL coach of the year in '20 and I'm pretty sure he was aggy's top choice for OL coach too (based on Liucci's updates). 

4) Peagler is considered one of the hot names in CFB circles and apparently several big programs wanted to hire him. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

LSU is apparently targeting Denbrock (Cincy OC) and House (Chiefs LB coach) for their OC and DC positions. Seems like weird hires. 

Meanwhile, Napier is putting together a loaded staff. He's apparently hiring Sale as OL coach and is in the mix to hire Rumph, Karl Scott, and Eric Henderson. Florida will have one of the best coaching staffs in the country if they hit on a couple more big names. 

I actually think Kelly is a good coach but LSU fucked up big time not hiring Napier. I'm glad OU didn't hire him either. Everything I've seen from Napier screams he's the real deal. 

Kelly likes a conservative offense.  That approach worked at ND with all the low scoring prodding offenses he faced and the lack of fast defenses he played against. I was wondering if he would change that approach at LSU but it seems like he won’t.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Kelly likes a conservative offense.  That approach worked at ND with all the low scoring prodding offenses he faced and the lack of fast defenses he played against. I was wondering if he would change that approach at LSU but it seems like he won’t.  

He usually has a massive O Line too. Gonna take a while to get that at LSU they have struggled there for years and his OLINE coach is staying at ND

40 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Kelly is Les Miles all over again.

Brian Kelly is an outstanding coach and recruiter. You guys are sadly wishcasting his failure here. It's LSU with a coach that has had a huge cultural and post season impact at every stop. He's a way better coach than his brother, who all of this would be valid for. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Brian Kelly is an outstanding coach and recruiter. You guys are sadly wishcasting his failure here. It's LSU with a coach that has had a huge cultural and post season impact at every stop. He's a way better coach than his brother, who all of this would be valid for. 

Who is his brother? 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think he is a good coach, but there are already rumblings about his ability to connect with HS coaches in La. That isn’t going to be a problem if he wins 9-10 games his first 2 seasons. He throws up 8 wins or less and it will make it tough on him. It’s like Saban. The guy is a douche, but he wins. Not being a cultural fit doesn’t mean he will not succeed. It just means if things start out rocky, he may not get the time to succeed 

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm not sure what here is satire and what is serious, but I will say that it's  not wishcasting on my part.  I'd love to see him beating the shit out of aggy on an annual basis.  Just have my doubts that will happen.

On 12/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. Like when Lincoln Riley followed all those LSU guys. We should wait for the announcement or a sourced leak. 

The last three LSU coaches won a national championship. Two of those three were certifiable morons. Brian Kelly isn’t a “fit” at LSU but he sure as shit is a better football coach than Les Miles and Orgeron. I’m not betting against them.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Kelly just seemed like a bad fit from the get go.  A very poor cultural fit in a place where culture is a huge part of their identity.  I think he's going to have trouble recruiting and I think ultimately it's  going to be a failure that after the fact everyone will be wondering why it wasn't obvious when they hired him.

What do you mean?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I'm pretty sure Cincinnati is the Tomball of Kentucky.

(Source: family.)

19 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol Football scoop 

In terms of coaching hires and coaching evaluations there isn't a better source than footballscoop. 

Their breakdowns on coach of the year awards are substantially better than other sites/sources. They actually justify their picks with advanced stats and other criteria. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

In terms of coaching hires and coaching evaluations there isn't a better source than footballscoop. 

Their breakdowns on coach of the year awards are substantially better than other sites/sources. They actually justify their picks with advanced stats and other criteria. 

Hmmm...what has Football Scoop last reported on the Texas WR coaching search?

Just now, TheMailBox357 said:

Hmmm...what has Football Scoop last reported on the Texas WR coaching search?

I haven't seen them report anything unless I've missed it. 

But I know they really like Marion as a coach. Doug Samuels has a major hard on for Marion all the way back to his days at William and Mary. 

4 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Kelly just seemed like a bad fit from the get go.  A very poor cultural fit in a place where culture is a huge part of their identity.  I think he's going to have trouble recruiting and I think ultimately it's  going to be a failure that after the fact everyone will be wondering why it wasn't obvious when they hired him.

Comparable to Meyers and Jacksonville?

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think what Kelly did at Notre Dame is a pretty reasonable floor. Easy state to build a fence around. If LSU fan can get over their Saban/Bama complex and give Kelly time, he should be fine there. 

He won't have that success.  Will he win games? Yes.  Will he win the SEC and make the playoffs 2 or 3 years? No.

For all the LSU is easy to win NC at with a good coach.... the years 1958-2003 need to talk to you.

9 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

For all the LSU is easy to win NC at with a good coach.... the years 1958-2003 need to talk to you.

I'm not sure what those years have to do with the current state of their program. Texas was really awesome in the 60s. That hasn't helped us the past 12 years. 

LSU has been a powerhouse going on almost 20 years now. Sure they could come back to earth a bit but the culture and fanaticism down there combined with their insane recruiting advantages seems pretty well positioned to keep things humming for a bit longer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Ah yes, A&M's soon to be DC.

I'm thinking this almost has to be the hire. 

What else would be the hold up other than a team playing in the playoffs? If it was Robinson/Santucci Co-DC ordeal it would have already been announced. If it was another school's DC in a bowl game I don't see why there would be a hold up for it to be announced. 

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what those years have to do with the current state of their program. Texas was really awesome in the 60s. That hasn't helped us the past 12 years. 

LSU has been a powerhouse going on almost 20 years now. Sure they could come back to earth a bit but the culture and fanaticism down there combined with their insane recruiting advantages seems pretty well positioned to keep things humming for a bit longer. 

This. They won a national championships with with a functional regard and dude that regularly eats grass. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Yeah but 1 of those coaches is in the argument for GOAT.  The other 2 fit that school to an insane level.  Just because they have won doesn't mean anyone can continue to win there.

Fit matters. Again Kelley is a good enough coach to win games. I don't think he'll ever make the playoffs at LSU.

Alright well I'm going to wait to see him coach a game because I have no reason to believe they won't continue to fuck shit up under his tutelage. 

Not saying you're wrong - he might be a poor fit and they might go fishing again in a few years. I just think LSU has nothing to prove to anyone right now. I expect them to continue to be a nasty out like they have been for quite some time now. 

55 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

He won't have that success.  Will he win games? Yes.  Will he win the SEC and make the playoffs 2 or 3 years? No.

LSU was probably considered a sleeping giant before Saban got there.

5 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Real talk, how come Napier wasn't hyped up as a potential big Head Coach hire until after he got the Florida job?

Maybe he was hyped throughout the season, LSU wouldn't have let him out Louisiana.

Strange situation. LSU really never engaged with Napier. Maybe they watched him lose to Texas and thought he sucked. 

10 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Real talk, how come Napier wasn't hyped up as a potential big Head Coach hire until after he got the Florida job?

Maybe if he was hyped up throughout the season, LSU wouldn't have let him out Louisiana.

Woodard was never hiring anybody that wasn't a splash. The only time he went the up and comer route was Sark at UW

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LSU was probably considered a sleeping giant before Saban got there.

LSU was considered no such thing from the time that Cholly Mac retired and Saban appeared on the scene at Red Stick.  Heck, they weren't a giant - sleeping or otherwise - most of the time McClendon was there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

LSU was considered no such thing from the time that Cholly Mac retired and Saban appeared on the scene at Red Stick.  Heck, they weren't a giant - sleeping or otherwise - most of the time McClendon was there.

I don’t think this is accurate. I believe the coach before Saban, Gerry DiNardo, was the one who referred to them as a sleeping giant, and there was a story around BR in the early 2000’s that Saban picked the job because he looked at the per capita NFL players per state and agreed with that assessment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I don’t think this is accurate. I believe the coach before Saban, Gerry DiNardo, was the one who referred to them as a sleeping giant, and there was a story around BR in the early 2000’s that Saban picked the job because he looked at the per capita NFL players per state and agreed with that assessment. 

Check their football history, pre-Saban they were mediocre most years until you go back to the 60s.  Gerry DiNardo reference makes me wonder if my sarcasm meter needs a tuneup.