California Getting a Jump on Black Friday Shopping

Harrison Bergeron

30 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2021-10-18/walgreens-retail-theft-closures-essential-california

Reveal hidden contents

Drugstore chain Walgreens said it would be closing an additional five stores in the city, bringing the number of shuttered locations to 22 in the past five years, according to San Francisco Chronicle. The company has cited “organized retail crime” for the closings.

Instead of cries for a crackdown on crime, the news has been met with intense skepticism.

The Chronicle published a story that, citing data from the city’s Police Department, pointed out how one store set to close “had only seven reported shoplifting incidents this year and a total of 23 since 2018.” While it is important to note that not all incidents are reported to police, the five stores being shut down “had fewer than two recorded shoplifting incidents a month on average since 2018.” 

Some have also pointed out the company’s prior plans to reduce its stores. In an August 2019 SEC filing, Walgreens stated that it planned to close approximately 200 following “a review of the real estate footprint in the United States.”

San Francisco’s own leaders have openly questioned the company’s claims.

“They are saying [retail theft is] the primary reason, but I also think when a place is not generating revenue, and when they’re saturated — S.F. has a lot of Walgreens locations all over the city — so I do think that there are other factors that come into play,” Mayor London Breed said last week.

Supervisor Dean Preston posted on Twitter a thread calling out news outlets for accepting the company’s justification for the downsizing.

@workswithseed

Hmmm.... Good to know. 

55 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/walgreens-and-cvs-stores-in-san-francisco-forced-to-close/

They could just have no job I guess. No impact at all on the lives for them and their surrounding neighborhood that uses thier services. 

This is blatant misinformation. Retail pharmacy chains across the country have been closing hundreds of stores over the last few years and plan to close many more, because their old business models don't work any more.  Most areas are/were oversaturated with retail pharmacy chains. CVS didn't spend $69 billion to purchase Aetna because of shoplifters.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2021-10-18/walgreens-retail-theft-closures-essential-california

Reveal hidden contents

Drugstore chain Walgreens said it would be closing an additional five stores in the city, bringing the number of shuttered locations to 22 in the past five years, according to San Francisco Chronicle. The company has cited “organized retail crime” for the closings.

Instead of cries for a crackdown on crime, the news has been met with intense skepticism.

The Chronicle published a story that, citing data from the city’s Police Department, pointed out how one store set to close “had only seven reported shoplifting incidents this year and a total of 23 since 2018.” While it is important to note that not all incidents are reported to police, the five stores being shut down “had fewer than two recorded shoplifting incidents a month on average since 2018.” 

Some have also pointed out the company’s prior plans to reduce its stores. In an August 2019 SEC filing, Walgreens stated that it planned to close approximately 200 following “a review of the real estate footprint in the United States.”

San Francisco’s own leaders have openly questioned the company’s claims.

“They are saying [retail theft is] the primary reason, but I also think when a place is not generating revenue, and when they’re saturated — S.F. has a lot of Walgreens locations all over the city — so I do think that there are other factors that come into play,” Mayor London Breed said last week.

Supervisor Dean Preston posted on Twitter a thread calling out news outlets for accepting the company’s justification for the downsizing.

@workswithseed

Dean Preston is a moron but he was right to call out the media for running with the Walgreens narrative. As with most major cities, COVID has complicated crime statistics. One thing that is clear is that home invasions have increased, which has led to an increased perception of lawlessness. Is it real? Sure, in some respects - with tourists gone, crime rings moved on from car break-ins to garage break-ins (my own included).

I think the Chronicle was probably right. Property theft has always been a bad here for Walgreens (folks will grab bags full of merchandise and sell it in broad daylight on Mission Street), but I don’t see how this last year has been any worse. Locally, there’s tons of tension over the Chesa Boudin recall, but nationally it seems to me like FOX/NY Post/etc going after the low-hanging fruit of the “San Francisco values” story. 

@Judge Roybeanbag Seen your woodwork and it is amazing.

Why are people fighting on this thread? 

In high school, college and law school worked retail. During my marriage and divorce worked retail. It all boils down to one thing: is it ok to steal?  Depends? Is it groceries or what? It hurts all of the people that work there. Are there stats that will tell you something? Yes there are.  My point is it gets old. Teach your kids better. All I will say. To the progressives, yes their kids know better and were raised better. To the conservatives, be better about taking care of others. It is hard working retail, making shit money and watching people run out the door with stuff. and absolutely knowing you can do shit about it. 

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

@Judge Roybeanbag Seen your woodwork and it is amazing.

Why are people fighting on this thread? 

In high school, college and law school worked retail. During my marriage and divorce worked retail. It all boils down to one thing: is it ok to steal?  Depends? Is it groceries or what? It hurts all of the people that work there. Are there stats that will tell you something? Yes there are.  My point is it gets old. Teach your kids better. All I will say. To the progressives, yes their kids know better and were raised better. To the conservatives, be better about taking care of others. It is hard working retail, making shit money and watching people run out the door with stuff. and absolutely knowing you can do shit about it. 

I had the same reaction when I read @Don Johnson post yesterday ... it says a lot about our world that some are afraid to say "this is a problem, and something should be done about it." The tribalism is exhausting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Incredulity said:

Seth Rogen for one.  His car has been broken into at least 15 times.  try to keep up.

Cool. Then what should we do to stop car break ins? what should we do to stop thirty people from doing a smash abs grab at their local retail store? Lots of hand wringing and no solutions. Seems familiar 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Cool. Then what should we do to stop car break ins? what should we do to stop thirty people from doing a smash abs grab at their local retail store? Lots of hand wringing and no solutions. Seems familiar 

Nothing, absolutely nothing can, nor should be done.  Someone's feeling will get hurt, and we just can't have that.

Nothing, absolutely nothing can, nor should be done.  Someone's feeling will get hurt, and we just can't have that.

So you’re not interested in serious discussion or you don’t have any ideas? Seems like you’re shouting about a problem without doing anything to contribute to a solution. Sounds familiar 

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So you’re not interested in serious discussion or you don’t have any ideas? Seems like you’re shouting about a problem without doing anything to contribute to a solution. Sounds familiar 

I am interested. Do you have a plan?

Expand on that. Are you saying every retail store needs cops stationed outside? Or are you pretending that cops don’t try to arrest these people?

Yawn. 

You just want to pick gnat shit out of pepper.

Enforce the law.  Investigate the crime, arrest and prosecute them.

Yawn. 

You just want to pick gnat shit out of pepper.

Enforce the law.  Investigate the crime, arrest and prosecute them.

So you’re saying that they don’t enforce the law, investigate the crime, arrest and prosecute? Is that your claim?

Also, how does that help the shop owner who’s store got smashed up? 

Edited by hobbes2702

So you’re saying that they don’t enforce the law, investigate the crime, arrest and prosecute? Is that your claim?

you tell me.  I know, I know he is going hard after the US suspects with felony charges.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-francisco-crime-chesa-boudin-progressive-prosecutor-11637961667

When Chesa Boudin ran for San Francisco district attorney in 2019, he said crime was caused by poverty, wealth inequality and inadequate government spending on social programs. He called prostitution, open drug use and drug dealing “victimless crimes” and promised not to prosecute them. The result has been an increase in crime so sharp that San Francisco’s liberal residents are now paying for private security guards, taking self-defense classes, and supporting a recall of Mr. Boudin, with a vote set for June 2022. Retailers like Walgreens and Target are closing stores in the city, citing rampant shoplifting. Last week, a shockingly organized mob of looters ransacked a downtown Louis Vuitton store.

Mr. Boudin and his defenders say crime in San Francisco has actually declined under his watch. The store closings had little to do with shoplifting, they insist; Walgreens announced in 2019 it would close stores as a cost-saving measure. And after the Louis Vuitton looting, Mr. Boudin talked tough on Twitter : “Standby for felony charges.”

Indeed, some crimes did decline, but for Covid-related reasons, while many other offenses increased. The pandemic crimped tourism, which meant fewer car break-ins and less shoplifting, but both are now on the rise. Car break-ins were 75% higher in May 2021 than in 2019, before the pandemic.

While it’s true that official incidents of shoplifting haven’t increased under Mr. Boudin, the punishment has changed—and the bad guys appear to have gotten the message. In 2019, 40% of all shoplifting reports resulted in arrest; in 2021, under Mr. Boudin, only 19% did. Walgreens says shoplifting is five times as high, and security costs 50 times as high, in its San Francisco stores as the chainwide average.

Meantime, the charging rate for theft by Mr. Boudin’s office declined from 62% in 2019 to 46% in 2021; for petty theft it fell from 58% to 35%. San Francisco’s jail population has plummeted to 766 in 2021 from 2,850 in 2019. More than half of all offenders, and three-quarters of the most violent ones, who are released from jail before trial commit new crimes.

Like other progressive prosecutors around the country, Mr. Boudin has expressed great antipathy toward the police. At his election-night party, a supporter led the crowd in a chant against the Police Officers’ Association: “F— the POA! F— the POA!” The San Francisco Police Department is short 400 officers and demoralized. A security video obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle last week appeared to show officers allowing a robbery of a marijuana dispensary. Total narcotics arrests declined by half from 2019 to 2021.

Mr. Boudin has increased charges for some crimes. The charging rate for rape rose from 43% to 53%, and for narcotics dealing from 47% to 60%, even as it declined for theft, illegal weapons and assault. He appears to be following through on his promise to ignore quality-of-life crimes, but it’s also the case that the state has ordered local prosecutors to reduce prosecution of such crimes because of Covid.

The solution to San Francisco’s problems is relatively straightforward. The city needs to shut down the drug scene by working with the federal government to deport dealers who are here illegally, most of whom are from Honduras; arrest addicts who camp and use drugs publicly and offer them rehab as an alternative to jail; and redevelop the squalid Tenderloin neighborhood, which, because of the influx of out-of-town addicts, fosters depravity and criminality affecting the entire city.

The situation has degenerated to the point that an opportunity exists for moderates to wrest power away from progressives like Mr. Boudin and implement a sweeping, common-sense political agenda. What’s not clear is whether most San Franciscans want to do this, or could do it alone, without the involvement of California’s state government, which is sitting on a $31 billion budget surplus.

San Francisco is an uberliberal place, and Mr. Boudin is only the latest in a long line of progressive prosecutors. In the mid-1990s voters elected Terence Hallinan, who had a history of illegal drug use and promised to stop arrests of street addicts and prostitutes. When Mr. Boudin blamed crime on inequality in 2019, his message landed on sympathetic ears. When he said he wouldn’t prosecute victimless crimes, he was singing a familiar hymn.

It may be that Mr. Boudin went too far, even for San Francisco’s progressive voters, with his statements justifying crime and demonizing the police. But if history is any guide, they won’t have learned anything more from the experiment in lawlessness than they did from the one in the mid-1990s, and will almost certainly repeat it.

Mandatory community service or jail. Those are the options. work your way up through the shit retail chain or restaurant or department store chain. Work is better than jail so make them work. I highly doubt the smash and grab types are doing anything to benefit their communities or beautify them. Nor would they unless they learn to respect it. I had an idea about permanent/paid juries and instead of jury duty that we all do community service. No one likes this idea (even if the jury represents the population) so fuck it. Whatever. Work in the community or jail. Pick your poison. 

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

you tell me.  I know, I know he is going hard after the US suspects with felony charges.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-francisco-crime-chesa-boudin-progressive-prosecutor-11637961667

When Chesa Boudin ran for San Francisco district attorney in 2019, he said crime was caused by poverty, wealth inequality and inadequate government spending on social programs. He called prostitution, open drug use and drug dealing “victimless crimes” and promised not to prosecute them. The result has been an increase in crime so sharp that San Francisco’s liberal residents are now paying for private security guards, taking self-defense classes, and supporting a recall of Mr. Boudin, with a vote set for June 2022. Retailers like Walgreens and Target are closing stores in the city, citing rampant shoplifting. Last week, a shockingly organized mob of looters ransacked a downtown Louis Vuitton store.

Mr. Boudin and his defenders say crime in San Francisco has actually declined under his watch. The store closings had little to do with shoplifting, they insist; Walgreens announced in 2019 it would close stores as a cost-saving measure. And after the Louis Vuitton looting, Mr. Boudin talked tough on Twitter : “Standby for felony charges.”

Indeed, some crimes did decline, but for Covid-related reasons, while many other offenses increased. The pandemic crimped tourism, which meant fewer car break-ins and less shoplifting, but both are now on the rise. Car break-ins were 75% higher in May 2021 than in 2019, before the pandemic.

While it’s true that official incidents of shoplifting haven’t increased under Mr. Boudin, the punishment has changed—and the bad guys appear to have gotten the message. In 2019, 40% of all shoplifting reports resulted in arrest; in 2021, under Mr. Boudin, only 19% did. Walgreens says shoplifting is five times as high, and security costs 50 times as high, in its San Francisco stores as the chainwide average.

Meantime, the charging rate for theft by Mr. Boudin’s office declined from 62% in 2019 to 46% in 2021; for petty theft it fell from 58% to 35%. San Francisco’s jail population has plummeted to 766 in 2021 from 2,850 in 2019. More than half of all offenders, and three-quarters of the most violent ones, who are released from jail before trial commit new crimes.

Like other progressive prosecutors around the country, Mr. Boudin has expressed great antipathy toward the police. At his election-night party, a supporter led the crowd in a chant against the Police Officers’ Association: “F— the POA! F— the POA!” The San Francisco Police Department is short 400 officers and demoralized. A security video obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle last week appeared to show officers allowing a robbery of a marijuana dispensary. Total narcotics arrests declined by half from 2019 to 2021.

Mr. Boudin has increased charges for some crimes. The charging rate for rape rose from 43% to 53%, and for narcotics dealing from 47% to 60%, even as it declined for theft, illegal weapons and assault. He appears to be following through on his promise to ignore quality-of-life crimes, but it’s also the case that the state has ordered local prosecutors to reduce prosecution of such crimes because of Covid.

The solution to San Francisco’s problems is relatively straightforward. The city needs to shut down the drug scene by working with the federal government to deport dealers who are here illegally, most of whom are from Honduras; arrest addicts who camp and use drugs publicly and offer them rehab as an alternative to jail; and redevelop the squalid Tenderloin neighborhood, which, because of the influx of out-of-town addicts, fosters depravity and criminality affecting the entire city.

The situation has degenerated to the point that an opportunity exists for moderates to wrest power away from progressives like Mr. Boudin and implement a sweeping, common-sense political agenda. What’s not clear is whether most San Franciscans want to do this, or could do it alone, without the involvement of California’s state government, which is sitting on a $31 billion budget surplus.

San Francisco is an uberliberal place, and Mr. Boudin is only the latest in a long line of progressive prosecutors. In the mid-1990s voters elected Terence Hallinan, who had a history of illegal drug use and promised to stop arrests of street addicts and prostitutes. When Mr. Boudin blamed crime on inequality in 2019, his message landed on sympathetic ears. When he said he wouldn’t prosecute victimless crimes, he was singing a familiar hymn.

It may be that Mr. Boudin went too far, even for San Francisco’s progressive voters, with his statements justifying crime and demonizing the police. But if history is any guide, they won’t have learned anything more from the experiment in lawlessness than they did from the one in the mid-1990s, and will almost certainly repeat it.

So if it’s progressive policies it must only happen in progressive places. Or as @TwiceHorn laid out, the severity of the punishment hasn’t been shown like ever to decrease crime. 

Here’s the police doing what they actually can to prevent this. 

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/11/18/3-teenagers-arrested-in-smash-and-grab-robbery-at-fairfield-jewelry-store/?amp

https://www.wishtv.com/news/crime-watch-8/impd-nabs-27-year-old-suspect-in-multiple-retailer-robberies/

https://abc7news.com/amp/robberies-san-jose-sj-store-security-retail-theft-private/11267952/

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/11/23/3-arrested-in-sledgehammer-smash-and-grab-robbery-at-the-grove/amp/

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/11/24/smash-and-grab-robbery-looting-louis-vuitton-san-francisco-union-square/?amp

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/3-charged-with-felonies-in-retail-robbery-at-walnut-creek-nordstrom/2740624/?amp

https://amp.www.complex.com/life/four-people-arrested-group-of-robbers-hits-la-home-depot

https://www.fox13news.com/news/attempted-robber-tried-to-enter-brandon-best-buy-through-roof-deputies-say.amp

https://www.wlox.com/2019/08/27/six-suspects-charged-million-multi-state-best-buy-burglary-ring/

Looks like they are being arrested and charged. 

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Mandatory community service or jail. Those are the options. work your way up through the shit retail chain or restaurant or department store chain. Work is better than jail so make them work. I highly doubt the smash and grab types are doing anything to benefit their communities or beautify them. Nor would they unless they learn to respect it. I had an idea about permanent/paid juries and instead of jury duty that we all do community service. No one likes this idea (even if the jury represents the population) so fuck it. Whatever. Work in the community or jail. Pick your poison. 

That’s all great. I don’t disagree with you. My disagreement is that any of that will prevent smash and grab robberies. Anywhere that carries expensive, easily movable product is going to continue being a target.

22 hours ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/walgreens-and-cvs-stores-in-san-francisco-forced-to-close/

They could just have no job I guess. No impact at all on the lives for them and their surrounding neighborhood that uses thier services. 

Fear not, our resident ombudsman and nephew of certified American retail badass @52-80 will be along shortly to call out this story.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s all great. I don’t disagree with you. My disagreement is that any of that will prevent smash and grab robberies. Anywhere that carries expensive, easily movable product is going to continue being a target.

My plan might lesson the occurrences? the fewer police you have the more you will see this type of shit. If there are no real consequences for actions you will see this shit more and more. the bullshit argument to that is well just don't have that kind of stuff around. It reminds me of parents who/that refuse to control their kids. Well if there wasn't sugar my kids wouldn't eat it and be hyper. If there weren't all those lamps when my kids were running around acting like assholes they wouldn't have knocked those lamps over. it will never be a perfect system and it will always suck but the places where this is happening explains a lot about the psychology of why it is happening. JMO. Sorry for the rant. Worked in retail long enough to know to not make excuses for those who honestly need more structure and a soul than the world could possibly ever give them. Certain people just suck. I accept this. I have seen it way way too often. Again. Not a popular opinion. 

40 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Expand on that. Are you saying every retail store needs cops stationed outside? Or are you pretending that cops don’t try to arrest these people?

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if police departments weren't interested in doing the hard work of an actual investigation into these groups. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

My plan might lesson the occurrences? the fewer police you have the more you will see this type of shit. If there are no real consequences for actions you will see this shit more and more. the bullshit argument to that is well just don't have that kind of stuff around. It reminds me of parents who/that refuse to control their kids. Well if there wasn't sugar my kids wouldn't eat it and be hyper. If there weren't all those lamps when my kids were running around acting like assholes they wouldn't have knocked those lamps over. it will never be a perfect system and it will always suck but the places where this is happening explains a lot about the psychology of why it is happening. JMO. Sorry for the rant. Worked in retail long enough to know to not make excuses for those who honestly need more structure and a soul than the world could possibly ever give them. Certain people just suck. I accept this. I have seen it way way too often. Again. Not a popular opinion. 

It’s happening everywhere. It happened in Texas multiple times this year. It’s not a progressive problem. It’s an American problem. 

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if police departments weren't interested in doing the hard work of an actual investigation into these groups. 

You’d actually be surprised. Every time I’ve spoken to detectives about these sort of incidents they are vigilant 

2 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I had the same reaction when I read @Don Johnson post yesterday ... it says a lot about our world that some are afraid to say "this is a problem, and something should be done about it." The tribalism is exhausting.

It says a lot that you have to exaggerate a problem to complain that others aren't taking it seriously enough.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s happening everywhere. It happened in Texas multiple times this year. It’s not a progressive problem. It’s an American problem. 

I am aware of a very sophisticated group if that is what you mean. When I was a cashier at Old Navy I was distracted by a group of people who then had partners that stole half the store. I saw what was happening. My manager said to just let it go. Better to be safe than sorry. 

Yeah its happening all over. (Spoiler: It is cops dressed up like robbers hitting over stores so we vote for police presence) again also bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I am aware of a very sophisticated group if that is what you mean. When I was a cashier at Old Navy I was distracted by a group of people who then had partners that stole half the store. I saw what was happening. My manager said to just let it go. Better to be safe than sorry. 

Yeah its happening all over. (Spoiler: It is cops dressed up like robbers hitting over stores so we vote for police presence) again also bullshit. 

So if it’s happening everywhere why are we blaming progressive policies?

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

We were told on page 1 of this thread that crime is up because of progressive "pro-crime" policies. When it was pointed out that crime is up EVERYWHERE, including in jurisdictions with lock 'em up DA's, @52-80 told that it was because people are being so mean to the police and publicly questioning their effectiveness, that they simply are unable to do their job. A pretty shocking admission. I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which a different government entity could meet criticism with "well, of course we're doing a shit job, have you seen what people are saying about us?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Fear not, our resident ombudsman and nephew of certified American retail badass @52-80 will be along shortly to call out this story.

Not born American.  When he emigrated, my uncle's family shared a 2br apartment with us (and my grandparents) and now he's the father to practicing physicians.

So yeah, he is a badass.  Sorry if you're aggrieved - you could continue deflecting for crime and putting societys problem on systemic whathaveyous.  Have at it.

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So if it’s happening everywhere why are we blaming progressive policies?

I think it is getting more attention now because certain people/places/things/money are being inconvenienced. I will say that most *fuck auto-spell will never help you when you are legit trying to spell shit it is there mainly to fuck up spelling of shit* of the shoplifters are chicks. Duh. The smash and grab I have seen for a while though. I guess not enough news clicks people care about? 

Edited by Nicole44

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think it is getting more attention now because certain people/places/things/money are being inconvenienced. I will say that most *fuck auto-spell will never help you when you are legit trying to spell shit it is there mainly to fuck up spelling of shit* of the shoplifters are chicks. Duh. The smash and grab I have seen for a while though. I guess not enough news clicks people care about? 

Definitely. Like i said these smash and grabs have been going on all over the country for the better part of the last 15 years and probably further back. It’s getting coverage now because it fits a narrative despite their being no evidence of correlation 

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Not born American.  When he emigrated, my uncle's family shared a 2br apartment with us (and my grandparents) and now he's the father to practicing physicians.

So yeah, he is a badass.  Sorry if you're aggrieved - you could continue deflecting for crime and putting societys problem on systemic whathaveyous.  Have at it.

Who’s deflecting for crime? Apparently asking people to look at the actual facts instead of a preconceived narrative is deflecting.