California Getting a Jump on Black Friday Shopping

Harrison Bergeron

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

No I think it’s a valid point he’s making. How does the crime compare in progressive places with progressive policies compare to the alternative? Without that information then your point isn’t anything other than a theory you made up. 
You could even be right, I haven’t seen the data. I doubt you are for the reasons @TwiceHorn pointed out.

* Hypothesis 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Security guards are being told to not stop people from grab, and run theft. That is not typical store policy.

Yes it is. You literally have no clue what you’re talking about. Best Buy fired an asset protection associate in Hawaii for tackling a thief who tried a grab and go like two years ago. Companies aren’t risking lawsuits or injury for theft.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

My hypothesis is that:

1. Deterrence to crime helps prevent crime
  2. Improved economics for the poor help prevent crime
  3. Removal of criminals helps prevent crime
  4. California has pretty geography

People with jobs generally don't engage in crime for a number of reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

People with jobs generally don't engage in crime for a number of reasons. 

Yes, but improved economics for the poor is only a part of the equation, albeit a large part. Even Uncle Leo will commit petty crime if there is no deterrence. I'll give you a few examples: I know someone who has:

• Purchased an item from one store, it broke quickly. The same item was purchased at Amazon and the broken item was returned to Amazon.
  • Received an item as a gift from one store and returned it to another.
  • Purchased stolen goods or goods out of a white truck.
  • Had someone steal from a store for their food truck business.
  • Bought food stamps at a 50% discount off of an acquaintance

The point is that all people are not inherently good. And people steal for a number of reasons, Jobs decrease the amount of time for crime which is probably almost as important as the risk of losing their job and the decreased need for money and goods.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yes, but improved economics for the poor is only a part of the equation, albeit a large part. Even Uncle Leo will commit petty crime if there is no deterrence. I'll give you a few examples: I know someone who has:

• Purchased an item from one store, it broke quickly. The same item was purchased at Amazon and the broken item was returned to Amazon.
  • Received an item as a gift from one store and returned it to another.
  • Purchased stolen goods or goods out of a white truck.
  • Had someone steal from a store for their food truck business.
  • Bought food stamps at a 50% discount off of an acquaintance

The point is that all people are not inherently good. And people steal for a number of reasons, Jobs decrease the amount of time for crime which is probably almost as important as the risk of losing their job and the decreased need for money and goods.

If the laws that are already on the books don't deter Uncle Leo, what does? Prison time? That would be dumb for the types of theft you've listed. I would think peer pressure would be most effective and that would require a social solution. 

14 hours ago, Bernard said:

It’s almost cute how some of you posters think shoplifting is some sort of new fangled crime that a bunch of youngsters on Instagram/Snapchat/Facetron just invented out of the blue.

Bernard 

Shoplifting?  You ridiculous dude.  

Gangs of +/- 30 showing up with hammers and pepper spray, breaking glass, overrunning the joint and stealing tens of thousands or more of high-end merchandise isn’t “shoplifting.”

Shoplifting is palming a roll of Mentos down at the Wag-A-Bag.  This stuff going on now is organized felony crime.

Could you possibly be more flippant and disingenuous?  

Doubtful.   

Edited by deadshank
because Huge has my back
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

If the laws that are already on the books don't deter Uncle Leo, what does? Prison time? That would be dumb for the types of theft you've listed. I would think peer pressure would be most effective and that would require a social solution. 

The point was that many people are not inherently good. So the approach needs to be multifaceted. A better economy that encourages working poor, getting known criminals out of the area, better prosecution of criminals, and social solutions could all be a part of the solution. The organized crime going on hints at a decline in our societal values. It runs deeper than Leo wanting a new book and the solution runs deeper too.

Yeaaaaaaah, companies aren't building into their prices people filling trash bags of merchandise (emptying shelves, looting style) in front of store security, and running out. Insurance may cover their loss, (that cost then is passed on to paying customers).

Now it's happening as organized multiple person grab and run operations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeaaaaaaah, companies aren't building into their prices people filling trash bags of merchandise (emptying shelves, looting style) in front of store security, and running out. Insurance may cover their loss, (that cost then is passed on to paying customers).

Now it's happening as organized multiple person grab and run operations. 

What retail company do you work for?

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Shoplifting?  You ridiculous dude.  

Gangs of +/- 30 showing up with hammers and pepper spray, breaking glass, overrunning the joint and stealing tens of thousands or more of high-end merchandise isn’t “shoplifting.”

Shoplifting is palming a roll of Mentos down at the Wag-A-Bag.  This stuff going on now is organized felony crime.

Could you possibly be more fippant and disingenuous?  

Doubtful.   

*flippant

• Haha 1

Just now, ChickenNuggets said:

I know we're constantly changing what words mean these days, but even I'm shocked that shopping and stealing are now interchangeable... 

Especially when you consider most of the stolen goods are resold rather than worn or gifted.

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

"peer pressure" equals bullying. And bullying is bad.

The only large corporation I have any respect for is HEB. All others can get fucked, especially Amazon. 
If this happened at a om and pop id expect defensive gunfire from the owner.

CSB: a gunman tried to rob our local jeweler a few years ago. The owner’s son fought him off with his bare hands and took his gun from him.

https://www.appenmedia.com/news/would-be-jewel-thief-foiled-by-owner/article_848a7262-0065-592f-a047-6cd759879b15.html

No pussy ass corporate policies in mom and pop world.

45 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

CSB: a gunman tried to rob our local jeweler a few years ago. The owner’s son fought him off with his bare hands and took his gun from him.

https://www.appenmedia.com/news/would-be-jewel-thief-foiled-by-owner/article_848a7262-0065-592f-a047-6cd759879b15.html

Cool. I certainly wouldn’t want any member of my family risking their life for some jewelry. I guess that makes me a pussy. 

Don't think this is going to end well.

California smash-and-grab thieves were back at it on Friday — with one crew hitting up a Home Depot to steal sledgehammers, crowbars and other tools, authorities said.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said the Lakewood store’s entire hammer section had been cleared out by the mob of eight during the robbery, which took place at around 7:45 p.m. local time, Fox 11 reported.

The suspects — who range in age from 15 to 20 — fled in getaway cars parked outside the Home Depot, the sheriff’s department said.

It was one of several brazen flash-robberies in the area on Black Friday.

The Los Angeles Police Department said it issued a city-wide tactical alert after a large group raided a Bottega Veneta store in the ritzy Beverly Grove neighborhood, CBS LA reported.

The robbers pepper-sprayed someone inside the Melrose Avenue boutique and made off with several high-end items, cops said.

Three armed men also stole a Rolex watch from a jewelry store on Melrose Avenue on Friday night, according to KTLA. The suspects used a handgun in the incident, which occurred just before 7 p.m. local time, the report said.

The robberies came after more than $25,000 of merchandise was plucked from the shelves at a Nordstrom in LA’s Canoga Park neighborhood on Wednesday.

The Golden State has recently been plagued by a troubling trend of smash-and-grab raids, prompting one San Francisco tech store to hire bulletproof vest-clad security guards for a staggering $30,000 each month.

://nypost.com/2021/11/27/california-black-friday-robbery-suspects-steal-hammers-from-home-depot/

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

My uncle had a convenience store in a pretty bad part of Ft Worth. Came to America with no money, no formal credentials, worked at that fucker over 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Made enough to put his daughter through med school and own his homes outright. 

Had to pull his revolver at a couple of lowlives who wanted to rob his livelihood at a place he put work in 360+ days a year. 

Theres 3 people: people who work for living; people who rob and steal for a living; and pussies like hobbes2789 

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

My uncle had a convenience store in a pretty bad part of Ft Worth. Came to America with no money, no formal credentials, worked at that fucker over 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Made enough to put his daughter through med school and own his homes outright. 

Had to pull his revolver at a couple of lowlives who wanted to rob his livelihood at a place he put work in 360+ days a year. 

Theres 3 people: people who work for living; people who rob and steal for a living; and pussies like hobbes2789 

Oh you’re such a big tough guy. I’ll let my company know that we are being pussies by not risking the lives of our employees for theft that we budget for. It’s amazing how often y’all just talk about shit that you have no first hand knowledge of.

Edited by hobbes2702

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh you’re such a big tough guy. I’ll let my company know that we are being pussies by not risking the lives of our employees for theft that we budget for. It’s amazing how often y’all just talk about shit that you have no first hand knowledge of.

Dont give a fuck about what your employer does. But you mosey over to the nearest mom and pop shop and rationalize to them how theft is okay because “it happens to mobile stores and Apple shops all the time. “

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one is robbing Hot Topic in organized gangs of 8. The Mall cop out front should have told ya.

• Haha 2

Just now, 52-80 said:

Dont give a fuck about what your employer does. But you mosey over to the nearest mom and pop shop and rationalize to them how theft is okay because “it happens to mobile stores and Apple shops all the time. “

I’m not sure anyone said it was ok. I’m quite sure someone dying over product that has insurance is really fucking stupid. 

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Well if theres one thing we can take solace in its that our resident apple genius works at a store that is insured

Well at least you’re consistent in being uninformed. 
I guess you’d be willing to put your child’s or your own life on the line for those Louis purses though right? 

Edited by hobbes2702

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well at least you’re consistent in being uninformed. 
I guess you’d be willing to put your child’s or your own life on the line for those Louis purses though right? 

Hey, I stole from his store without consequences. Wanna go hit it up again?

You ever seen the movie magnificent 7? It was just grain. 

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So what should we do? I guess we could arm a bunch of minimum wage workers

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/walgreens-and-cvs-stores-in-san-francisco-forced-to-close/

They could just have no job I guess. No impact at all on the lives for them and their surrounding neighborhood that uses thier services. 

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/walgreens-and-cvs-stores-in-san-francisco-forced-to-close/

They could just have no job I guess. No impact at all on the lives for them and their surrounding neighborhood that uses thier services. 

So what should they do instead? I’m asking you what the solution is. I can tell you what it isn’t and that is endangering your employees.

Also I am fairly confident those employees got hazard pay until the stores opened again.

Edited by hobbes2702

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2021-10-18/walgreens-retail-theft-closures-essential-california

Spoiler

Drugstore chain Walgreens said it would be closing an additional five stores in the city, bringing the number of shuttered locations to 22 in the past five years, according to San Francisco Chronicle. The company has cited “organized retail crime” for the closings.

Instead of cries for a crackdown on crime, the news has been met with intense skepticism.

The Chronicle published a story that, citing data from the city’s Police Department, pointed out how one store set to close “had only seven reported shoplifting incidents this year and a total of 23 since 2018.” While it is important to note that not all incidents are reported to police, the five stores being shut down “had fewer than two recorded shoplifting incidents a month on average since 2018.” 

Some have also pointed out the company’s prior plans to reduce its stores. In an August 2019 SEC filing, Walgreens stated that it planned to close approximately 200 following “a review of the real estate footprint in the United States.”

San Francisco’s own leaders have openly questioned the company’s claims.

“They are saying [retail theft is] the primary reason, but I also think when a place is not generating revenue, and when they’re saturated — S.F. has a lot of Walgreens locations all over the city — so I do think that there are other factors that come into play,” Mayor London Breed said last week.

Supervisor Dean Preston posted on Twitter a thread calling out news outlets for accepting the company’s justification for the downsizing.

@workswithseed

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2