Arterio Morris

shadow_operative

7 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm glad he chose to go back to Kimball instead of playing for that made up school in Lewisville. I wonder whether he and Keyonte George had a falling out. 

Probably the opposite. Isn’t George at IMG now? So no point playing at a fake school away from all your friends if another elite guard isn’t there to play with 

He was my favorite recruit of the class and has shot up the rankings over the past 2 years.  Uber athletic with a jaw dropping game.  He doesn't have the vision of Ja Morant but he plays with a similar flair. His highlights from the Kimball vs Frisco Wakeland playoff game last year were ridiculous.  

Also look for the Kimball vs Lancaster playoff highlights.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He was arrested and went to jail and somehow the internet didn’t find out?

And this was all after June 1st when they were already on campus, so the coaches would’ve had to know about all this already

welp, this is just bad all around. he seems like he needs help. i hope he gets it. of all of the things i've suffered from with my mental illness (and my anxiety was totally crippling at times), i'd still say that rage is the worst of them all, for two main reasons:

1)there's a huge rage hangover. when something like anxiety ends, it ends. when an episode of rage ends, it sticks in your mind and soul and physical body for the rest of the day, if not longer. it is awful. 

2)it affects other people- often people you love- a lot more than things like anxiety, depression, mania, paranoia, etc. from breaking and destroying things, to putting your hands on people. it's just the absolute worst. then after you come down it's just like, "wtf happened? why did i do that? it wasn't even really about him/her. why did i just do that?" it's like an out of body experience that you can never take back.

if he really has serious anger issues, as he alluded to in his texts, and as it appears from her texts, then arterio, the human being, really does need to get some serious help and realize that his mental health needs to be the biggest focus of his life, at least for the time being. i don't care if he ever plays for us or not- (ftr i hope he does- i believe in second chances and redemption), i hope he gets help and grows into a better man. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

image.png.81d0327f0d7a99d7929f5817b27c46e1.png

I'm an old compared to these kids, so I may have this wrong.....but is that last sequence in her instagram  a snapchat of Arterio threatening her with a gun? If so, that's the kind of bullshit that can lead him to look for a second chance at another school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

what are the odds that he has the kind of support in his life that would encourage him to go get serious help, even if it meant taking a year off? i cannot count how many people i've known who've had issues like this who never took them seriously until it was too late. they don't even know they need help. the mere idea that they may be sick and in need of help is laughable to them. it's a very tough pill to swallow, but if you are habitually putting your hands on people and threatening your girlfriend with a gun, you need help, no matter who you are.

i'll say this- i hope that Beard and Co. are 100% committed to helping this guy if his issues are as serious as they appear. we agreed to take care of him, the full person, when we offered him a scholarship. even if we don't think he'll ever play a single game for Texas we need to tally the troops and support this guy, from getting him the best counseling possible, to staying in constant touch with him and supporting him as a person, from the coaches on down. this kid is too young and has too much life ahead of him to be cast aside. if he really does need this help, Texas needs to get it for him in every way possible.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

The hell was going on with that kimball team. Back in March they had a player (not Morris) get arrested at the state tournament because the gun he had in his gym bag went off on the bus and hit a student trainer. Now this. And don’t give me “it’s a hood school” crap. That might be where the school is but they’re notorious for having players from all over DFW. 

I’d like to see the kid get help, too, but based on those Instagram posts (which are going to be inherently one sided) he has less of a rage issue than a control issue. These are behaviors of a predatory male who just isn’t good at it yet. He didn’t pick the right vulnerable victim. He didn’t successfully isolate her from family and friends where her only source of self esteem was him. 

I guess predatory men can change. I just haven’t ever seen it. J’Covan Brown for sure had a rage issue, and I was all in favor of giving him 2nd and 3rd chances. This is something different. 

I’ll trust in Beard to some extent, but my very strong preference is that Texas and Morris part ways. In my opinion this isn’t the kind of behavior that people work through in some kind of therapy. If he’s allowed to stay on the team I consider it virtually a forgone conclusion he’s going to repeat some form of this behavior again. 

Unless the girl is absolutely fabricating her side of the story out of whole cloth - which I don’t actually believe is occurring - the UT basketball program would be better off parting ways, IMO. But I can understand the conceit of wanting to help the kid. Beard for sure has some elements of a savior complex. I sure don’t want to see him on the court any time soon, though. That’s going to smack of looking the other way in an attempt to win. It’s going to regardless if he remains on the team. If they’re going to try to help the kid, then help him. But don’t benefit from his presence on the roster while doing so. 

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Good thing we also signed the professor

From the Brumbaugh dynasty?

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Unless the girl is absolutely fabricating her side of the story out of whole cloth - which I don’t actually believe is occurring - the UT basketball program would be better off parting ways, IMO. But I can understand the conceit of wanting to help the kid. Beard for sure has some elements of a savior complex. I sure don’t want to see him on the court any time soon, though. That’s going to smack of looking the other way in an attempt to win. It’s going to regardless if he remains on the team. If they’re going to try to help the kid, then help him. But don’t benefit from his presence on the roster while doing so. 

Dumb question time -- it's Wednesday, after all -- can we honor his scholarship but not list him on the roster?  I guess it would be the equivalent of an indefinite suspension?

It's possible that structure and counseling could help him out.  Based on what I see, until any legal processes work out, I wouldn't want him dressing for games.  One year of a burned scholarship seems pretty inconsequential to me.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dumb question time -- it's Wednesday, after all -- can we honor his scholarship but not list him on the roster?  I guess it would be the equivalent of an indefinite suspension?

It's possible that structure and counseling could help him out.  Based on what I see, until any legal processes work out, I wouldn't want him dressing for games.  One year of a burned scholarship seems pretty inconsequential to me.

If more allegeations and videos/images come out and you're willing to take the PR hit then probably. Knowing how we like to operate I'd say slim to none.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I can’t quite remember how stuff played out. Did Beard pick him over Keynote George or did Baylor just bet us for George. If the former, that’s looking like a pretty bad decision right about now. 

Baylor beat us 

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

The hell was going on with that kimball team. Back in March they had a player (not Morris) get arrested at the state tournament because the gun he had in his gym bag went off on the bus and hit a student trainer. Now this. And don’t give me “it’s a hood school” crap. That might be where the school is but they’re notorious for having players from all over DFW. 

it's a hood school...crap.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I can’t quite remember how stuff played out. Did Beard pick him over Keynote George or did Baylor just bet us for George. If the former, that’s looking like a pretty bad decision right about now. 

Well, it’s not really the right question. Beard recruited George regardless of Morris. Allegedly Beard got cold feet with George late in the process because he didn’t believe George would buy in on the defensive side. Right after that he went all in on the recruitment of Cason Wallace, but it was really late in Wallace’s recruitment, and in the end he and his family chose Kentucky. 

Morris’s recruitment didn’t have anything to do with George. And while George is extraordinarily talented on the offensive end, Drew has his work cut out for him in getting George to be a team player from what I saw in the Globl Jam recently. Kid was a black hole and looked completely disinterested on the defensive end. But he’s a heck of an offensive threat for sure. Bad fit for Beard/Texas, IMO. 

Regardless, it’s a bummer we’ve signed a potential predator. Texas/Del Conte/Beard are going to have to respond to this quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

he's not officially enrolled yet correct?  My guess is they delay everything, get him enrolled try to help him for a year and then he's likely gone.

I guess she could decide to not press charges...

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

That would be a worse outcome in terms of our ability to manage the situation and keep it all above board.  It would look like a payoff, even if it wasn't.

agreed, just saying it could happen and happens all the time in situations like this.  We could still require him to sit and seek counseling.

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, it’s not really the right question. Beard recruited George regardless of Morris. Allegedly Beard got cold feet with George late in the process because he didn’t believe George would buy in on the defensive side. Right after that he went all in on the recruitment of Cason Wallace, but it was really late in Wallace’s recruitment, and in the end he and his family chose Kentucky. 

Morris’s recruitment didn’t have anything to do with George. And while George is extraordinarily talented on the offensive end, Drew has his work cut out for him in getting George to be a team player from what I saw in the Globl Jam recently. Kid was a black hole and looked completely disinterested on the defensive end. But he’s a heck of an offensive threat for sure. Bad fit for Beard/Texas, IMO. 

Regardless, it’s a bummer we’ve signed a potential predator. Texas/Del Conte/Beard are going to have to respond to this quickly. 

Thanks. I might have been confusing Morris and Wallace. 

This makes the pickup of Hunter absolutely huge. We’d be in a world of trouble without him right now. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he's not officially enrolled yet correct?  My guess is they delay everything, get him enrolled try to help him for a year and then he's likely gone.

I guess she could decide to not press charges...

He’s been working out with the team. Has to be enrolled to do that. 

She said in her Instagram post she didn’t press charges. She was pressured by his high school coaches to think about his future NBA career, and they begged her to keep it off her social media as well. She apparently did file a restraining order, however. She posted a copy of it (of course she did). In any case, she’s now decided “fuck that.”

Short of actually filing charges, this is definitely the nuclear option. To be honest, based on what she alleges in her post, she’s doing the right thing. I don’t think there’s a realistic chance someone who has done the things she alleges Morris did, changes their behavior in the future because they now “see that it was wrong.” But there DAMN sure is ZERO chance if there aren’t consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thanks. I might have been confusing Morris and Wallace. 

This makes the pickup of Hunter absolutely huge. We’d be in a world of trouble without him right now. 

For sure. As it is we’re likely going into the season with 10 scholarship players, plus whatever walk ons are given one. Also, Sir’Jabari Rice was a critical pick up as well. Sure wish Morris wasn’t a predator. I was looking forward to seeing him play. Not any more. 

If there is no impending legal process, I would probably cut bait, even if it means we can't help the kid help himself.  I certainly don't think of our program as overly virtuous, but I would hope we try more than most to stay clean.  Sometimes the stink is just too much.

(I am well aware that I am no doubt blissfully unaware of plenty of stink within our program.)

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He’s been working out with the team. Has to be enrolled to do that. 

She said in her Instagram post she didn’t press charges. She was pressured by his high school coaches to think about his future NBA career, and they begged her to keep it off her social media as well. She apparently did file a restraining order, however. She posted a copy of it (of course she did). In any case, she’s now decided “fuck that.”

Short of actually filing charges, this is definitely the nuclear option. To be honest, based on what she alleges in her post, she’s doing the right thing. I don’t think there’s a realistic chance someone who has done the things she alleges Morris did, changes their behavior in the future because they now “see that it was wrong.” But there DAMN sure is ZERO chance if there aren’t consequences. 

got it.  didn't see the restraining order.  people can change but I'd give him a 10% chance of ever playing a minute normally. That said, if the only "legal" situation is the restraining order that might go up to 50%.

Edited by dcar00

Maybe the details of the instagram post will change things but Texas had to know Morris was arrested for the restraining order violation. 

If they haven't already kicked him off the team I don't see that changing. Not supporting the decision but I have a hard time believing this is new information to Texas and Morris has been practicing with the team. All this going public might force a different decision. 

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

got it.  didn't see the restraining order.  people can change but I'd give him a 10% chance of ever playing a minute normally. That said, if the only "legal" situation is the restraining order that might go up to 50%.

I do not consider restraining orders to be that incriminating. Some of what she alleges Morris did, however, are frightening to me. Stalking her at work on 3 successive nights. Stealing her car keys at 2am and throwing them so she wouldn’t be able to find them. Showing up in her home and physically assaulting her. Sending her a pic of him holding a hand gun. 

Bitches can make us crazy without a need for all that.