Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

Fong

Spoiler

Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium was packed with blue-chip recruits on Saturday to watch No. 3 Texas steamroll No. 24 Kansas, 40-14.

It was an afternoon that will help Steve Sarkisian and his staff land these coveted prospects moving forward.

“I loved it,” Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve Top247 2025 offensive tackle Devin Harper said. “The atmosphere at DKR was amazing and fun. Coach (Kyle) Flood is the big part for me. What he has been able to do with linemen in past years is huge to me, and the Longhorns are rolling which is great. They have lots of talent and excited to see what they continue to do.”

Harper said Texas is “one of my top schools” and that stands for others that visited as well.

“I had a great time in Austin today,” Port Neches (Texas) High offensive tackle Jackson Christian said. “I feel like the Longhorns have a very well coached team and a very talented one. What impresses me the most is the heart that Texas has and the effort they give on the field.”

https://247sports.com/Player/jackson-christian-46133748/

https://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Harper-46139907/

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Fong

Hide contents

Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium was packed with blue-chip recruits on Saturday to watch No. 3 Texas steamroll No. 24 Kansas, 40-14.

It was an afternoon that will help Steve Sarkisian and his staff land these coveted prospects moving forward.

“I loved it,” Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve Top247 2025 offensive tackle Devin Harper said. “The atmosphere at DKR was amazing and fun. Coach (Kyle) Flood is the big part for me. What he has been able to do with linemen in past years is huge to me, and the Longhorns are rolling which is great. They have lots of talent and excited to see what they continue to do.”

Harper said Texas is “one of my top schools” and that stands for others that visited as well.

“I had a great time in Austin today,” Port Neches (Texas) High offensive tackle Jackson Christian said. “I feel like the Longhorns have a very well coached team and a very talented one. What impresses me the most is the heart that Texas has and the effort they give on the field.”

Yes please on Harper.  Was Fong'd to LSU a month ago.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:29 PM, Teryor said:

Fong

Reveal hidden contents

Harper is coming to the Cotton Bowl this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

According to 247 he's 6 1.5" and 235 .lbs and is TE.  He sounds more like he's LB sized.

A tiny bit bigger than Erick Fowler who also had a good offer list. Those guys are hard to evaluate. Sometimes you end up with David Thomas (who was a little taller) and sometimes you end up with Erick Fowler.

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A tiny bit bigger than Erick Fowler who also had a good offer list. Those guys are hard to evaluate. Sometimes you end up with David Thomas (who was a little taller) and sometimes you end up with Erick Fowler.

Erick Fowler failed because of what he lacked between his ears, not because of anything physically. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

According to 247 he's 6 1.5" and 235 .lbs and is TE.  He sounds more like he's LB sized.

No idea if the scouting blurb from 247 is accurate, but sounds like a potential pipe hitting motherfucker:

Scouting Report

EVALUATED 07/16/2023

Gabe BrooksNATIONAL SCOUTING ANALYST

Bully of a football player who provides a tone-setting play style as a pass catcher or gadget ball carrier. Shorter than your typical tight end prospect, but regularly shows why finding ways to get him the ball is smart. Experienced basketball player who plays above listed size thanks to his strength, timing, and functional athleticism.

Rebounding prowess (9.5 rpg as a sophomore, 8.7 rpg as a freshman) manifests on the gridiron. Powerful plucker at the high point, where the cross-sport functionality really shines. Stoutly built and broad-trunked with excellent play strength that combines with high-pointing acumen and body control to create a difficult matchup vs. smaller defensive backs.

Wins contested throws with body awareness, strong-handed dexterity, and effort. Knows how to use his body to keep defenders at bay and flashes close-quarters power as a blocker and a runner. High-motor player who plays hard and transfers that effort to blocking. Locks on and drives and will finish to the ground. Basically dares defenders to tackle him 1-on-1.

Searches for contact with the ball, which will be a riskier proposition at the next level. Physical upside limited by lack of typical height / frame length. Strength and effort to play attached, but limited size may require H-heavy usage in college. Possibly needs a specific plan / scheme to be properly deployed.

Flat-out football player and bona fide P5-caliber prospect. Find a way to get him involved and you will be glad you did. Projects as a potential impact move tight end who could be dangerous as a pass catcher and a lead blocker when utilized properly.

• Hook 'Em 2

Scruggs cb'd Byron Washington and Jackson Christian to us

Spoiler

Since arriving in Austin with Steve Sarkisian and the rest of his staff in early Jan. 2021, Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood has proven time and time again he’s one of the sport's elite coaches whether on the recruiting trail or the sideline.

After landing the No. 1 ranked offensive tackle in the nation according to 247Sports in Mater Dei five-star Brandon Baker less than a month ago, Flood is continuing his recruiting prowess and has the Longhorns in a great spot for two 2025 offensive line targets.

Byron Washington, OT, DeSoto

Likely the largest prospect Texas will recruit in all of the 2025 recruiting cycle, Washington immediately jumps off the page with his 6-foot-7, 350 pound frame. As you can imagine, that exact frame is what grabbed Flood’s attention as Washington is the poster child for the Texas offensive line coach’s ‘big humans’ mantra.

Flood and Washington are in communication everyday and the Longhorns offensive line coach has made Washington feel like a true priority since offering the mammoth human at the Texas Bash Pool Party at the end of July.

Washington is a big fan of the familiarity the Longhorns have to offer in the three DeSoto Eagles that are currently on the roster in Byron Murphy, Johntay Cook, and Tre Wisner as well as a close friend of Washington’s that also hails from the southern sector of Dallas in Texas offensive lineman and Duncanville class of 2022 graduate Cameron Williams.

No school in the nation will be able to offer the familiarity Texas can, much less the other factors stacked on top of it like Flood’s developmental reputation and the proximity to home the Longhorns can also offer.

I had originally thought about entering in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas for Washington after speaking with the Longhorns target a few weeks ago when he called Flood “the GOAT” and named Texas as his only favorite among his five offers, but ultimately decided to hold off and take the patient approach.

However I’ve decided to change my stance after meeting with a source in Dallas this past weekend, and with that being said I’ve entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas to land Washington with a confidence of 6.

Jackson Christian, OT, Port Neches-Groves

Another large frame on the offensive line for Kyle Flood to pursue, Christian doesn’t have the quite the hulking build that Washington does but at 6-foot-5, 309 pounds the Southeast Texas native offers more versatility to play up and down the offensive line with a shorter frame and an 82 inch wingspan.

While the exact position Chrisitan would play at Texas if the Longhorns were to be the choice is still up in the air, every source I’ve spoken with in Southeast Texas reiterates the same message that Christian likely projects best to the interior offensive line at the collegiate level.

Like with Washington, Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood is a humongous reason why the Longhorns are the runaway leader as the two have been in regular communication since Texas offered the PNG Indian in June at a camp.

Christian is also a big fan of the developmental aspect that comes with getting coached by Kyle Flood, as well as how he could stay in-state with a commitment to the Longhorns.

With that being said I’ve entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas to land Christian with a confidence of 6.

https://247sports.com/Player/byron-washington-46116845/
https://247sports.com/Player/Jackson-Christian-46133748/

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Scruggs cb'd Byron Washington and Jackson Christian to us

Reveal hidden contents

Since arriving in Austin with Steve Sarkisian and the rest of his staff in early Jan. 2021, Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood has proven time and time again he’s one of the sport's elite coaches whether on the recruiting trail or the sideline.

After landing the No. 1 ranked offensive tackle in the nation according to 247Sports in Mater Dei five-star Brandon Baker less than a month ago, Flood is continuing his recruiting prowess and has the Longhorns in a great spot for two 2025 offensive line targets.

Byron Washington, OT, DeSoto

Likely the largest prospect Texas will recruit in all of the 2025 recruiting cycle, Washington immediately jumps off the page with his 6-foot-7, 350 pound frame. As you can imagine, that exact frame is what grabbed Flood’s attention as Washington is the poster child for the Texas offensive line coach’s ‘big humans’ mantra.

Flood and Washington are in communication everyday and the Longhorns offensive line coach has made Washington feel like a true priority since offering the mammoth human at the Texas Bash Pool Party at the end of July.

Washington is a big fan of the familiarity the Longhorns have to offer in the three DeSoto Eagles that are currently on the roster in Byron Murphy, Johntay Cook, and Tre Wisner as well as a close friend of Washington’s that also hails from the southern sector of Dallas in Texas offensive lineman and Duncanville class of 2022 graduate Cameron Williams.

No school in the nation will be able to offer the familiarity Texas can, much less the other factors stacked on top of it like Flood’s developmental reputation and the proximity to home the Longhorns can also offer.

I had originally thought about entering in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas for Washington after speaking with the Longhorns target a few weeks ago when he called Flood “the GOAT” and named Texas as his only favorite among his five offers, but ultimately decided to hold off and take the patient approach.

However I’ve decided to change my stance after meeting with a source in Dallas this past weekend, and with that being said I’ve entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas to land Washington with a confidence of 6.

Jackson Christian, OT, Port Neches-Groves

Another large frame on the offensive line for Kyle Flood to pursue, Christian doesn’t have the quite the hulking build that Washington does but at 6-foot-5, 309 pounds the Southeast Texas native offers more versatility to play up and down the offensive line with a shorter frame and an 82 inch wingspan.

While the exact position Chrisitan would play at Texas if the Longhorns were to be the choice is still up in the air, every source I’ve spoken with in Southeast Texas reiterates the same message that Christian likely projects best to the interior offensive line at the collegiate level.

Like with Washington, Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood is a humongous reason why the Longhorns are the runaway leader as the two have been in regular communication since Texas offered the PNG Indian in June at a camp.

Christian is also a big fan of the developmental aspect that comes with getting coached by Kyle Flood, as well as how he could stay in-state with a commitment to the Longhorns.

With that being said I’ve entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas to land Christian with a confidence of 6.

https://247sports.com/Player/byron-washington-46116845/
https://247sports.com/Player/Jackson-Christian-46133748/

These two and Tyler Thomas all have Texas picks.  Interesting that none of these three guys have a ranking yet.  We'll see how OL recruiting plays out in this class.  Michael Fasusi is the prize 5* OT.

15 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Any guesses...

Hide contents

OB is hearing that Texas is very likely to land a big time two-way player in the 2025 class from California. To put it in football terms “the story is already written” and there should be an announcement soon.

The Mater Dei RB

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Any guesses...

Hide contents

OB is hearing that Texas is very likely to land a big time two-way player in the 2025 class from California. To put it in football terms “the story is already written” and there should be an announcement soon.

Nevermind. Sounds like this is a baseball commit.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Roach had a heart attack when he saw this article ... )

The Stampede: Way-too-early predictions for 2025 offensive class
With Texas on a bye and recruiting the theme of the week, Horns247 takes a crack at predicting the offensive side of the ball for the class of 2025.
HORNS247 STAFF

Spoiler

The Stampede: Way-too-early predictions for 2025 offensive class
With Texas on a bye and recruiting the theme of the week, Horns247 takes a crack at predicting the offensive side of the ball for the class of 2025.
HORNS247 STAFF

There's only a handful of recruitments Texas remains involved in for the class of 2024, so in today's edition of The Stampede we decided to look ahead a bit and project the Longhorns' class of 2025 on the offensive side of the ball. Of course this is an extremely early look and solely based off of how things stand now. Texas will extend more offers and conduct more evaluations in the year to come, not to mention numbers are fluid considering the Transfer Portal as well. So keep in mind, this is more for fun than anything. But we feel good about the Longhorns' chances with this group as things stand. 

Take a look! 

Quarterback (1)

KJ Lacey, Saraland (AL.)

The only commitment the Longhorns have received in the 2025 class so far, Steve Sarkisian and Co. have already locked in their guy at the most important position in the sport. Not only is Lacey a stellar prospect, he’s a widely popular prospect that plays an extensive 7on7 circuit with several other highly recruited prospects. That in turn rolls over into peer recruiting, in which it’s common we hear from skill position prospects in the 2025 class that they’ve been in touch with Lacey. I’m by no means saying we will experience a whole new Arch Manning effect anytime soon, but just reiterating that it’s a positive for Texas if they can land prospects who are both supremely talented and popular.

Running Back (2)

Jordon Davison, Mater Dei (Calif.)

The top target for Tashard Choice in 2025, Davison has tripped from California to Texas four times on his own dollar in the last year and a half. As we made it into the spring and eventually the summer, any doubt that Texas was a contender was thrown out the window. Now we’re in the fall, and the Longhorns are considered the front runner. Texas will need to play things out and outlast some of the nation’s best, but ultimately Tashard Choice is on pace to land his top running back target for the third recruiting cycle in a row after pulling both CJ Baxter and Jerrick Gibson from the Sunshine State in back to back classes.

Deondrae Riden, DeSoto

The top-rated running back in the state of Texas’ 2025 class according to 247Sports, Riden possesses an immensely talented all-around skillset that ended up unseating Texas freshman running back Tre Wisner from his starting position as a senior at DeSoto this past fall. Due to Tashard Choice’s portfolio of developing backs to NFL draft picks and Steve Sarkisian’s offense the Longhorns are in a great position early on but like with Davison, they’ll have to outlast some of the nation’s best before landing Riden.

Wide receiver (4)

Dakorien Moore, Duncanville

This would involve the five-star wide receiver flipping his commitment from LSU. We’re not putting in Crystal Ball predictions at this point, but there has been more buzz growing in recent weeks around Texas’ chances of getting it done. Moore is arguably the top offensive target in the entire 2025 class. He visited Austin for the Wyoming game last month, and was expected in town for the Kansas game. Wide receivers coach Chris Jackson and the Texas staff have kept UT chugging along here. Longhorns pledge Colin Simmons helps, too.

Marcus Harris, Mater Dei (Calif.)

Texas strikes again at the California powerhouse. A year removed from landing five-star tackle Brandon Baker, Texas turns back to the Monarchs program and lands two of their biggest offensive playmakers. Harris hasn’t been to Texas as much as Davison, but has made his way to Austin enough to feel comfortable with the program and see the opportunity in front of him. “Just the culture,” he told Horns247 of Texas. “The environment is the best in the college football world. They always provide good quarterbacks. A lot of good receivers have come out of the program. And their offense is real high pitch.” Texas if facing off with Penn State, Oklahoma, Colorado, and others.

Jacorey Watson, Shadow Creek

Texas already resides in the Pearland product’s top group, alongside programs like Colorado, LSU, and Michigan, among others. Both Chris Jackson and Steve Sarkisian are in consistent communication with Watson. “We talk about life really because before football it’s you so we talk about personal things," Watson said of he and Sark’s relationship. "Me and him are really cool and part of that is cause he’s heavy on that.” As for his connection with Jackson … “He’s my dawg him and I chop it up every day. He checks in on me and I check in on him so we have a good bond.”

Carterrious Brown, Arlington Seguin

Texas visited Brown’s program this past offseason, extending an offer after the in-person evaluation. Baylor, Arizona State, and Kansas State are others in the mix early. But with the Longhorns entering the mix early, that appears as though it could pay off in landing the 6-foot-2, 175-pounder.

Tight end (2)

Keiundre Johnson, Terrell

Texas doesn’t have a ton of tight end offers out at the moment, but will likely gather momentum throughout the course of the season with its use of Ja’Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm on display. Johnson had an extremely strong showing at Texas’ Elite Camp back in June and has firmly planted himself on the Longhorns’ staff. He’s already very close with UT assistant Jeff Banks in the process. Oregon is likely the Longhorns’ chief competition.

Emaree Winston, Calhoun (Ga.)

Winston replaced North Carolina with Texas among his top six last week, before flying out to Dallas – his first time in the state of Texas – for the Red River Shootout. “I know I can go in early and play with JT leaving,” he said last week. “I talk to JT a lot actually. We just got done talking earlier. He just tells me he loves it. This is the place to be.” Winston plans to return to Austin for the Kansas State game. Ohio State is trending on the Crystal Ball, but Texas seems to currently be surging in this recruitment. Cincinnati Tennessee, UCF, and USC are the others Winston is currently considering. 

Offensive tackle (4)

Michael Fasusi, Lewisville

In one of the deepest offensive line classes to roll through the Lone Star State in some time, there isn’t a more coveted trenchman than Lewisville’s Michael Fasusi. The Longhorns were one of the first big-time programs to offer the five-star and the early effort is paying off for Texas thanks to the hard work of Kyle Flood. Expect Fasusi to take his time with his recruitment as he sees a few schools for the first time these next few months. The Longhorns have been pushing the right buttons early on, and if they can continue that, they should be able to land one of the nation’s most coveted prospects.

Byron Washington, DeSoto

Kyle Flood wasn’t the first to offer, but as of right now, that doesn’t matter in this case as Flood still has the Longhorns in front of the competitors by a country mile. The developmental aspect of playing for Kyle Flood, past DeSoto players already on the Texas roster, and proximity to home are all the factors going in Texas’ way right now and my read is that at this point Washington is Flood’s to lose. I entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Texas last week. It’s only right that the biggest prospect in Texas ends up playing for Kyle Flood right?

Jonte Newman, Bridgeland

Horns247 spoke with Newman following the Texas Bash pool party at the end of July in what was a conversation in which he called Texas his “dream school.” The thing is (which we didn’t know till after the conversation), Texas hadn’t even offered yet, but would a few days later. Months went by and I drove to Houston to speak with Newman following a game and was told that while Texas remains the “dream school”, Alabama, Oklahoma, and USC were also at the top of his list. Currently holding only 10 offers, Newman is the type of prospect that leaves high school with 30 offers, meaning it’s likely the Longhorns won’t know who the true competitors are until the early spring.

Tyler Thomas, Dickinson

Another offer that Kyle Flood extended in the summer, Thomas received his scholarship following a dominant camp performance in June. The 6-foot-4, 317 pounder has since returned to Austin on his own dollar three times, even going as far to tell Horns247 that he was leaning to Texas following the Texas Bash pool party in July. Now in October, I’m still under the impression Texas is the leader but the Longhorns might have a fight on their hands as more and more schools find out about the hulking Thomas hidden in Galveston County.

Interior offensive line (1) 

Jackson Christian, Port Neches Groves

Christian attended his first-ever collegiate game last month when Texas defeated Kansas. He left the Forty Acres impressed. “It was fun. It was fun to watch. They run the same plays like my high school does. It was very nice. The atmosphere was amazing. (Texas is) my biggest offer. They're pretty good to me." Horns247’s Jordan Scruggs placed a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns for the 6-foot-5, 309-pounder, as Texas trends ahead of Houston, SMU, Texas Tech, and others.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, utfan87 said:

I really hope we don’t take a commitment from  Jackson Christian to say hes underwhelming is putting it nicely. Big human with bad feet.  

If we do take him, be sure to return in a couple years to pound your chest, proclaiming you warned us he was the worst recruit of the class, please. We love that shit, and by God we have standards to uphold.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, utfan87 said:

I really hope we don’t take a commitment from  Jackson Christian to say hes underwhelming is putting it nicely. Big human with bad feet.  

I think he's a good developmental take....redshirt him, coach him up, and lets see how he looks in 3 years. Pretty sure he's a guard at the next level anyhow and has a nasty streak to him.

Edited by BurntOrange&White