Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

On the surface, it seems like the 2025 class sets up well for us. 

-Good traction OOS at the skill spots (Lacy, Davidson and Harris at Mater Dei)

-Seems like a better year in-state at DL compared to ‘24 and we already cherry-picked our preferred OOS option (Brandon Brown)

-Good year at OL

-Quality in-state options at LB in a class where we probably need 3

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

On the surface, it seems like the 2025 class sets up well for us. 

-Good traction OOS at the skill spots (Lacy, Davidson and Harris at Mater Dei)

-Seems like a better year in-state at DL compared to ‘24 and we already cherry-picked our preferred OOS option (Brandon Brown)

-Good year at OL

-Quality in-state options at LB in a class where we probably need 3

Guessing will probably be a small DB class (3-4??) with the 24' haul.  Can be selective/cherry pick.

Get Zion Williams at DT to go with Brown (taking 3??).  I'm guessing the Bellville kid ends up at aggy.

What do you think the WR number will be?  

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Guessing will probably be a small DB class (3-4??) with the 24' haul.  Can be selective/cherry pick.

Get Zion Williams at DT to go with Brown (taking 3??).  I'm guessing the Bellville kid ends up at aggy.

What do you think the WR number will be?  

I would personally never take more than 3 WR’s in a class with the portal nowadays. We’ve signed 7 the last 2 years so I definitely wouldn’t go above 3 this year.

But that might be tough because this does seem to be a year where we are in good early position for several guys.

Probably not realistic but it would be nice to have some clarity on Moore from Duncanville by the end of the summer.

3 more confirmed junior day attendees per Gerry

Landon Rink, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair – *January 6 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 409
Junior Day Schedule: Texas A&M January 13, Texas January 20, Oklahoma January 27

Chad Woodfork, EDGE, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek – *January 6 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 54

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High – *January 6 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 26 
The Recruiting Battle: Texas leads Florida State and Auburn early on.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

3 more confirmed junior day attendees per Gerry

Landon Rink, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair – *January 6 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 409
Junior Day Schedule: Texas A&M January 13, Texas January 20, Oklahoma January 27

Chad Woodfork, EDGE, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek – *January 6 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 54

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High – *January 6 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 26 
The Recruiting Battle: Texas leads Florida State and Auburn early on.

IT mentioned weeks ago they expected Dakorian Moore to visit for Jr Day.  Guess we'll see.  

List is looking good and lot of the high end prospects in-state are coming.  Hopefully a few more OOS guys show.  List will probably grow over the next two weeks.

Angulo

— Texas made a big run toward the College Football Playoff and certainly caught the attention of many recruits across the country, including Aiden Manutai of North Shore powerhouse Kahuku in Hawaii. The three-star safety said he has connected a bit with the Longhorns and would be intrigued to reunite with former high school teammate Liona Lefau, a former four-star linebacker in the 2023 class. Arizona, Nebraska and Oregon are three official visits the hard-hitting defender said he wants to take this year.

https://247sports.com/Player/aiden-manutai-46116200/

• Hook 'Em 1

Junior Day List, Scattershooting Recruiting Notes from San Antonio

(Horns247 Staff)

Spoiler

EARLY JAN. 20 JUNIOR DAY LIST

Jordon Davison (Photo: Shotgun Spratling, 247Sports)
As of right now we’re up to over 30 names with many more names to be added throughout the week leading up to the event as more prospects continue to confirm their attendance with Horns247.

Our visitor list reads as follows:

Texas commits

Emaree Winston, TE, Calhoun (GA)

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie

Deuce Williams, LB, Pearland Shadow Creek

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock

Tanook Hines, WR, Spring Dekaney

Jacorey Watson, WR, Pearland Shadow Creek

Carterrious Brown, WR, Arlington Seguin

Emmanuel Choice, WR, Lancaster

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville

Ryan Fodje, OT, Bridgeland

Marcus Garcia, OT, Denton Ryan

John Mills, OT, San Francisco (CA) St. Ignatius College Preparatory

Ashdon Wnetrzak, OT, Chatsworth (CA) Sierra Canyon

Jordan Coleman, OT, Cedar Hill

Jonte Newman, IOL, Bridgeland

Lance Jackson, DL, Texarkana Pleasant Grove

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin

Floyd Guidry, DL, Spring

Landon Rink, DL, Cy-Fair

Xavier Ukponu, DL, Denton Guyer

Dilan Battle, DL, Mansfield Timberview

Chad Woodfork, EDGE, Humble Summer Creek

Jonah Williams, LB, Galveston Ball

Cobey Sellers, CB, Pearland Shadow Creek

Demetrius Brisbon, S, Tyler Chapel Hill - SMU commit

Sael Reyes, S, DeSoto *Maybe*

Nick Townsend, ATH, Spring Dekaney

Tradarian Ball, RB, Texarkana Texas High

Raycine Guillory, RB, Aledo

Brayden Robinson, WR, Red Oak

Chris Stewart, WR, Pearland Shadow Creek

Kevin Ford Jr., DL, Duncanville

Isaiah Williams, S, Fort Bend Marshall

— Saraland (AL) four-star quarterback and Texas commit KJ Lacey will miss the Longhorns Junior Day on the 20th but he'll be back in Austin on Jan. 27 with his good friend and high school teammate in Saraland (AL) five-star wide receiver and Alabama commit Ryan Williams when Williams takes his official visit to Texas the weekend of Jan. 27. Williams also has official visits lined up to see Alabama and Auburn.

SCATTERSHOOTING RECRUITING NOTES FROM A WEEK IN SAN ANTONIO
I spent Sunday through Saturday in San Antonio for the All-American Bowl and National Combine. While in the Alamo City I spoke with countless All-Americans, prospects, and sources. Here are some recruiting notes to scattershoot from my time in the 210.

— There weren't a ton of surprises from check-in day for the All-American Bowl itself. The only thing that really comes to mind is how Nyier Daniels brought up that he liked Texas and Kyle Flood a lot and could’ve seen himself going to Texas but that he committed to Georgia on his official visit and wanted to follow through on his word to the Bulldogs and thus canceled all of his remaining scheduled visits which included his trip to Austin. I was working the height and weight station during check-in day and at 6-foot-7.5, 391 pounds Daniels took home the honors of the largest All-American and would’ve fit right in with what Flood loves to recruit.

— Hank and I both spoke with Spring 2025 three-star defensive lineman Floyd Guidry on Thursday during the National Combine check-in and he made it very clear Texas was the leader. Guidry grew up attending Texas games, pulling for the burnt orange and he even mentioned he has a couple Texas jerseys in his closet. Besides growing up a Texas fan, Bo Davis has also done a phenomenal job in this recruitment especially when you realize Texas didn’t offer until Dec. 19. While you may look at his offer list and only see Pitt, Texas State, and Texas Tech, Guidry is going to have more offers come his way as he lands on more radars the further we get into this year. He’ll be in town for the Texas Junior Day and based off the way he spoke to Hank and I he’s close to being on commitment watch.

— Led by Holmon Wiggins and Mike Elko, the new staff at Texas A&M has been doing an amazing job in the recruitment of Katy Jordan Top247 wide receiver Andrew Marsh. Marsh grew up rooting for the Aggies and Texas A&M had always been his dream school but the old Aggies staff figured out a way to completely mess everything up. Unfortunately for Longhorns fans, the new staff in College Station has seemed to heal all of the old wounds Jimbo Fisher and Co. created and after speaking with a source I think the Aggies are the current leader. Things can always change as Marsh has no plans of shutting it down anytime soon, but for now I think Texas A&M is set up best to land Marsh down the stretch. Even though it was under a different staff, Texas A&M has recruited Katy ISD incredibly well the last few recruiting cycles and the Aggies are a big draw for West Houston area kids as College Station is less than two hours up the road and can offer a program that plays in the SEC, impressive NIL deals, and a college town atmosphere.

— I think Texas is the early leader for Bastrop 2026 four-star DL Tiki Hola. I was able to speak with Hola during check-in of the National Combine and I’ll have a story with quotes from our interview out sometime in the next few days. During our conversation he made it very clear that the two schools that have his attention the most are Texas and Georgia. Bo Davis has been doing a great job of making Hola feel like a priority as a 2026 recruit and with Hola having plenty of family members scattered all over the greater Austin area he feels like it would be a big deal to get to play his college football in his home city. I actually happened to play high school ball for about half of the coaches that make up the Bastrop coaching staff and they speak very highly of Hola on and off the field. In the 15 minutes we spoke on Thursday I came away impressed with the young man Hola is. In watching him workout at the combine it’s clear he’s still raw, but he has raw power you can’t coach and plenty of tools to work with so I’m not worried about him at all. He’s also been a two year starter on Bastrop’s varsity squad which plays 5A-DI level competition and he’ll only be a junior next year. Bastrop will be one of my stops in the spring. 

— Destrehan (LA) 2026 four-star wide receiver Jabari Mack is holding Texas and Oregon in very high regard. Florida State is also a school he’s looking to get to, but ultimately it’s the Longhorns and the Ducks who appear to hold the lead. Terry Joseph is the Longhorns best man when it comes to recruiting in the boot and Joseph actually happened to coach high school football at Destrehan for three years from 2003-2005. Like other 2026 prospects it’s obviously very early in the process, but it feels like the Longhorns are in the best position you could be in for a top 100 prospect from the state of Louisiana. Destrehan might be another stop in the spring. 

— Nicolas Robertson from Klein High and Marques Uini from Copperas Cove are two 2026 offensive linemen names to potentially stash away for future offers. Both fit the big human mantra Flood covets in his offensive line recruits. Uini happens to be the younger brother of four-star Georgia offensive tackle signee Michael Uini and only holds one offer from Michigan at this point in time. Robertson on the other hand holds six offers from Baylor, Colorado State, Houston, North Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech. They both more then held their own when it came to competing at the national combine on Friday, but based off size alone I wouldn’t be surprised if either Robertson of Uini make their way to the Forty Acres in the next few months.

— Ezekiel Ayangbile is going to be another name to pocket going forward. A 2027 defensive line recruit out of Langham Creek in Houston, Ayangbile's wasn't on anyone in the 247Sports network's radars until he walked into the National Combine check-in room and I interviewed him to find out that his father is none other then NFL All-Pro offensive tackle and former first-round draft pick Duane Brown. His mother also happens to have been successful athlete herself and happened to have thrown the shot-put on the women's track and field team at Virginia Tech. Up to this point his only offer is Virginia Tech, with the Hokies extending it when Ayangbile was still in middle school. 

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Junior Day List, Scattershooting Recruiting Notes from San Antonio

(Horns247 Staff)

Hide contents

EARLY JAN. 20 JUNIOR DAY LIST

Jordon Davison (Photo: Shotgun Spratling, 247Sports)
As of right now we’re up to over 30 names with many more names to be added throughout the week leading up to the event as more prospects continue to confirm their attendance with Horns247.

Our visitor list reads as follows:

Texas commits

Emaree Winston, TE, Calhoun (GA)

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie

Deuce Williams, LB, Pearland Shadow Creek

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock

Tanook Hines, WR, Spring Dekaney

Jacorey Watson, WR, Pearland Shadow Creek

Carterrious Brown, WR, Arlington Seguin

Emmanuel Choice, WR, Lancaster

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville

Ryan Fodje, OT, Bridgeland

Marcus Garcia, OT, Denton Ryan

John Mills, OT, San Francisco (CA) St. Ignatius College Preparatory

Ashdon Wnetrzak, OT, Chatsworth (CA) Sierra Canyon

Jordan Coleman, OT, Cedar Hill

Jonte Newman, IOL, Bridgeland

Lance Jackson, DL, Texarkana Pleasant Grove

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin

Floyd Guidry, DL, Spring

Landon Rink, DL, Cy-Fair

Xavier Ukponu, DL, Denton Guyer

Dilan Battle, DL, Mansfield Timberview

Chad Woodfork, EDGE, Humble Summer Creek

Jonah Williams, LB, Galveston Ball

Cobey Sellers, CB, Pearland Shadow Creek

Demetrius Brisbon, S, Tyler Chapel Hill - SMU commit

Sael Reyes, S, DeSoto *Maybe*

Nick Townsend, ATH, Spring Dekaney

Tradarian Ball, RB, Texarkana Texas High

Raycine Guillory, RB, Aledo

Brayden Robinson, WR, Red Oak

Chris Stewart, WR, Pearland Shadow Creek

Kevin Ford Jr., DL, Duncanville

Isaiah Williams, S, Fort Bend Marshall

— Saraland (AL) four-star quarterback and Texas commit KJ Lacey will miss the Longhorns Junior Day on the 20th but he'll be back in Austin on Jan. 27 with his good friend and high school teammate in Saraland (AL) five-star wide receiver and Alabama commit Ryan Williams when Williams takes his official visit to Texas the weekend of Jan. 27. Williams also has official visits lined up to see Alabama and Auburn.

SCATTERSHOOTING RECRUITING NOTES FROM A WEEK IN SAN ANTONIO
I spent Sunday through Saturday in San Antonio for the All-American Bowl and National Combine. While in the Alamo City I spoke with countless All-Americans, prospects, and sources. Here are some recruiting notes to scattershoot from my time in the 210.

— There weren't a ton of surprises from check-in day for the All-American Bowl itself. The only thing that really comes to mind is how Nyier Daniels brought up that he liked Texas and Kyle Flood a lot and could’ve seen himself going to Texas but that he committed to Georgia on his official visit and wanted to follow through on his word to the Bulldogs and thus canceled all of his remaining scheduled visits which included his trip to Austin. I was working the height and weight station during check-in day and at 6-foot-7.5, 391 pounds Daniels took home the honors of the largest All-American and would’ve fit right in with what Flood loves to recruit.

— Hank and I both spoke with Spring 2025 three-star defensive lineman Floyd Guidry on Thursday during the National Combine check-in and he made it very clear Texas was the leader. Guidry grew up attending Texas games, pulling for the burnt orange and he even mentioned he has a couple Texas jerseys in his closet. Besides growing up a Texas fan, Bo Davis has also done a phenomenal job in this recruitment especially when you realize Texas didn’t offer until Dec. 19. While you may look at his offer list and only see Pitt, Texas State, and Texas Tech, Guidry is going to have more offers come his way as he lands on more radars the further we get into this year. He’ll be in town for the Texas Junior Day and based off the way he spoke to Hank and I he’s close to being on commitment watch.

— Led by Holmon Wiggins and Mike Elko, the new staff at Texas A&M has been doing an amazing job in the recruitment of Katy Jordan Top247 wide receiver Andrew Marsh. Marsh grew up rooting for the Aggies and Texas A&M had always been his dream school but the old Aggies staff figured out a way to completely mess everything up. Unfortunately for Longhorns fans, the new staff in College Station has seemed to heal all of the old wounds Jimbo Fisher and Co. created and after speaking with a source I think the Aggies are the current leader. Things can always change as Marsh has no plans of shutting it down anytime soon, but for now I think Texas A&M is set up best to land Marsh down the stretch. Even though it was under a different staff, Texas A&M has recruited Katy ISD incredibly well the last few recruiting cycles and the Aggies are a big draw for West Houston area kids as College Station is less than two hours up the road and can offer a program that plays in the SEC, impressive NIL deals, and a college town atmosphere.

— I think Texas is the early leader for Bastrop 2026 four-star DL Tiki Hola. I was able to speak with Hola during check-in of the National Combine and I’ll have a story with quotes from our interview out sometime in the next few days. During our conversation he made it very clear that the two schools that have his attention the most are Texas and Georgia. Bo Davis has been doing a great job of making Hola feel like a priority as a 2026 recruit and with Hola having plenty of family members scattered all over the greater Austin area he feels like it would be a big deal to get to play his college football in his home city. I actually happened to play high school ball for about half of the coaches that make up the Bastrop coaching staff and they speak very highly of Hola on and off the field. In the 15 minutes we spoke on Thursday I came away impressed with the young man Hola is. In watching him workout at the combine it’s clear he’s still raw, but he has raw power you can’t coach and plenty of tools to work with so I’m not worried about him at all. He’s also been a two year starter on Bastrop’s varsity squad which plays 5A-DI level competition and he’ll only be a junior next year. Bastrop will be one of my stops in the spring. 

— Destrehan (LA) 2026 four-star wide receiver Jabari Mack is holding Texas and Oregon in very high regard. Florida State is also a school he’s looking to get to, but ultimately it’s the Longhorns and the Ducks who appear to hold the lead. Terry Joseph is the Longhorns best man when it comes to recruiting in the boot and Joseph actually happened to coach high school football at Destrehan for three years from 2003-2005. Like other 2026 prospects it’s obviously very early in the process, but it feels like the Longhorns are in the best position you could be in for a top 100 prospect from the state of Louisiana. Destrehan might be another stop in the spring. 

— Nicolas Robertson from Klein High and Marques Uini from Copperas Cove are two 2026 offensive linemen names to potentially stash away for future offers. Both fit the big human mantra Flood covets in his offensive line recruits. Uini happens to be the younger brother of four-star Georgia offensive tackle signee Michael Uini and only holds one offer from Michigan at this point in time. Robertson on the other hand holds six offers from Baylor, Colorado State, Houston, North Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech. They both more then held their own when it came to competing at the national combine on Friday, but based off size alone I wouldn’t be surprised if either Robertson of Uini make their way to the Forty Acres in the next few months.

— Ezekiel Ayangbile is going to be another name to pocket going forward. A 2027 defensive line recruit out of Langham Creek in Houston, Ayangbile's wasn't on anyone in the 247Sports network's radars until he walked into the National Combine check-in room and I interviewed him to find out that his father is none other then NFL All-Pro offensive tackle and former first-round draft pick Duane Brown. His mother also happens to have been successful athlete herself and happened to have thrown the shot-put on the women's track and field team at Virginia Tech. Up to this point his only offer is Virginia Tech, with the Hokies extending it when Ayangbile was still in middle school. 

Complete sidebar, but the Destrehan note made me curious about what our last Destrehan player is doing these days - turns out he ended up with Texas A&M's favorite alum career path, Houston-area insurance salesman!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/geraldwilbon/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What’s happened to our North Shore pipeline?  Most of the time those guys went to Texas or LSU and nowhere else.

North Shore players these days are generally a mess. You're unlikely to see Texas devote a ton of effort to recruiting that school unless they find an exception from the character and work ethic side.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is the opposite of what the guy was asking. Are you too dense to grab that? Or did you think adding Redding's name would be cute since he was actually a star at Texas? Did you think we didn't have that knowledge already? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

North Shore players these days are generally a mess. You're unlikely to see Texas devote a ton of effort to recruiting that school unless they find an exception from the character and work ethic side.

This is the opposite of what the guy was asking. Are you too dense to grab that? Or did you think adding Redding's name would be cute since he was actually a star at Texas? Did you think we didn't have that knowledge already? 

It was literally an answer to his question. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Has a North Shore player made us regret not getting them?

Lots of schools missed Dorance Armstrong. Might have saved us from starting Hager, and paired well with Omenihu

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It literally is not 

Gonna have to go with BO on this one. It literally was an answer to his question. The problem was that it was the absolutely wrong answer and it made no sense, but it was technically, literally an answer to his question.

• Haha 9

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

It was literally an answer to his question. 

It was literally *the wrong* answer to his question. 

No one regrets not getting Redding. Why do we not regret it? Because he fucking signed with Texas. This isn't an alternate universe where that didn't happen.

The guy's question, translated for idiots, was "Name a player from North Shore that Texas didn't sign who went on to do things elsewhere that we envied as fans."

Shad Banks? No.

Zach Evans? No.

Denver Harris? No. 

Damian George? No. 

Damatrius Davis? No.

Jaeden Roberts? Ehhhh, maybe?

Robbie Reid? No.

Eric Monroe? No.

My memory starts to fade at some point, but there've been plenty of guys wind up elsewhere and then they did a whole lot of nothing.

K'Lavon Chaisson or Deandruw White would have "literally" been the only answers to the prior poster's question that made a whole lot of sense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, pacman said:

Lots of schools missed Dorance Armstrong. Might have saved us from starting Hager, and paired well with Omenihu

Texas didn't spend any time recruiting Armstrong, though. We can call it an evaluation miss if you want, but he's not a North Shore recruit that Texas fought for or that we were pining for on these boards. 

2 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I think Bo Davis would know if there's anyone worth pursuing at North Shore. He coached there for nearly half a decade. He probably gets better intel than most recruiters.

Same time as Cory Redding.

• Hook 'Em 2