Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

9 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

TIL that going 15-40 for 186 yds, 2 TDs and 4 INTs is decent...

The truth. People that do not know football thought he was going to be great.  I can believe though, people that graduated from University are this dumb.

On 3/13/2024 at 10:24 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

It was the 7-Eleven and it was a decapitated head. The only reason I remember if because one of my asshole friends made a disgusting joke about it.

It was likely the only "head" your friend managed to reminisce about from college....

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Suchomel went on a Texas prediction spree.  Outside of Washington, most of these seem likely.

Screenshot_20240317_090946_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_091131_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_091137_Chrome.jpg

Man, Byron Washington again. I so dislike his HUDL.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Suchomel went on a Texas prediction spree.  Outside of Washington, most of these seem likely.

Screenshot_20240317_090946_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_091131_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_091137_Chrome.jpg

We arent even recruiting Washington at the moment. That is just throwing shit at the wall.

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

I thought we didn’t want Marcus Harris?? 

However Sark does.. loves keeping that pipeline to CA open

Also, seeing Lance Jackson hit the camps.. he's going to shoot up the rankings everytime they do an update. Kudos to the staff for getting him on board early, he looks like a true difference maker

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

However Sark does.. loves keeping that pipeline to CA open

Also, seeing Lance Jackson hit the camps.. he's going to shoot up the rankings everytime they do an update. Kudos to the staff for getting him on board early, he looks like a true difference maker

Hope we finally get a Texarkana kid to pan out. Even if it is PG. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

247's take on Jackson.  Guillory also stood out.

Screenshot_20240317_193828_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_193835_Chrome.jpg

He plays corner for his HS but he hits like a safety on his HUDL. Doesn't seem to have great speed but good speed - looks like a safety in college to me.

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry made a comment a few weeks back that made it sound like Washington is up over 400 pounds again.

image.png.886724fd7f10736504559b3e54d2af79.png

for a quick comparison, lowest ranked OL from last few years with 247 rankings

• Coje: 86
  • Stroh: 87
  • Goosby: 88
  • Connor Robertson: 87
  • Max Merril: 85
  • Jake Majors: 87
  • Willie Tyler: 84
  • Christian Jones: 87
  • Mike Grandy: 88

i still don't see why folks want this guy. his most recent 247 offers: UTEP, UCF, Duke, Marshall, UTSA

2 hours ago, NoName said:

image.png.886724fd7f10736504559b3e54d2af79.png

for a quick comparison, lowest ranked OL from last few years with 247 rankings

• Coje: 86
  • Stroh: 87
  • Goosby: 88
  • Connor Robertson: 87
  • Max Merril: 85
  • Jake Majors: 87
  • Willie Tyler: 84
  • Christian Jones: 87
  • Mike Grandy: 88

i still don't see why folks want this guy. his most recent 247 offers: UTEP, UCF, Duke, Marshall, UTSA

I don't think many people on this site want the guy. The commenters on the subscriber sites are a special form of stupid, however. These are men who have been watching football for years and still react almost solely to "big body!! he good!!" when they see that some tub of goo is pushing 4 bills. This is a teenager that cannot push himself away from the buffet at Golden Corral and doesn't have a support system interested in helping him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stampede: Texas recruiting buzz from Under Armour Houston

SPRING, Texas — There was no shortage of talent on hand at Under Armour Houston this weekend, with a number of Texas targets on both sides of the ball putting their skillsets on display. In fact, Longhorns commit Lance Jackson earned Top Performer honors from 247Sports for his workout on the defensive line.

“Jackson made the almost three-hundred-mile drive from Texarkana to compete at Sunday's camp and was an instant eye-catcher due to his uncommon movement skills and redirection ability hovering around 6-foot-5, 250 pounds,” 247Sports’ Hudson Standish wrote. “The No. 72 overall prospect in the nation appears to have added muscle to his frame and utilized his improved functional strength and promising athletic traits to bully offensive linemen or leave them in the dust with a lightning-quick first step. The Texas commit was nearly perfect on the day and made a compelling case for Alpha Dog honors after getting the better of every opponent he was matched up against throughout the 1-on-1 session.”

Horns247 was on hand to get the latest recruiting intel from a number of recruits on hand.

Get the latest here!

Not a VIP member of Horns247? Sign up today and get 50 percent off your first year! 

Five-star linebacker Jonah Williams was 247Sports' Alpha Dog on Sunday. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Jonah Williams, LB/S, Galveston Ball 

The five-star hybrid linebacker/safety was as advertised on Sunday. Watching Williams work out, you can see why he’s such a coveted prospect by so many. Oklahoma has been seen as the team to beat by many for the 6-foot-3, 203-pounder, but Williams is taking an open approach to things. He and Longhorns safeties coach Blake Gideon have hit it off and he still intends on making his trip back to the Forty Acres on April 6. Obviously baseball is a big factor as well for the Galveston Ball product, and the UT baseball staff is recruiting him as well. Williams noted that he’s close with Texas rising sophomore Jelani McDonald, who has been pressing to get Williams to join him in Austin. Oregon, USC, LSU, and Ohio State are the other schools heavily in play, but this one looks like it’s going to come down to Texas and Oklahoma, at least as things stand now. -- HANK SOUTH 

Kelshaun Johnson, ATH, Hitchcock 

It was an embarrassment of riches at the wide receiver position on Sunday and Kelshaun Johnson made some of the biggest plays. The Hitchcock standout, ranked as a four-star athlete, is one of Texas’ primary targets at the receiver position. Johnson says he’s come close to committing to Texas a couple of times in his recruitment, and UT has pushed for it. He’ll be back on campus April 6 for an unofficial visit and again for an official visit on June 14. Johnson will also be in the Capital City next weekend for Texas Relays as well. Nearly two dozen schools are in the mix, but this is one that’s likely going to come down to Texas and USC and the Longhorns are trending up. -- HANK SOUTH 

Five-star WR Kaliq Lockett. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Kaliq Lockett

The five-star receiver put his skillset on display Sunday, making the most of less-than-stellar quarterback options on hand. Lockett raved about Texas and wide receivers coach Chris Jackson and the relationship they’re building, as well as his connection with Steve Sarkisian and Tashard Choice, who are actively involved in his recruitment. In addition, Lockett is friends with Texas receiver Johntay Cook from their 7on7 days. Lockett has been to Texas roughly four or five times and has two more visits coming up — April 6 and then an official visit June 21-23. Texas will certainly be on the short list when all is said and done. For now, Lockett is whittling things down with interest in Ohio State, Florida State, USC, Texas A&M, Penn State, and several others. 

Chad Woodfork, Edge, Summer Creek 

The four-star edge rusher was one of 247Sports’ Top Performers on the afternoon in Houston and has been one the central figures on the list of Texas edge targets in 2025, along with Kamaryn Morgan. Of late, though, Woodfork says he’s not in contact with the Longhorns as often, especially since former defensive line coach Bo Davis left for LSU. The Summer Creek product communicates with Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski when he does talk with UT. He also talks with former Summer Creek product Kelvin Banks Jr. LSU, with Davis, appears to be trending up for the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder. The Longhorns are by no means out of the race, though. Woodfork is looking at taking an unofficial visit back to Austin this spring and potentially using his last open official visit date to Texas this summer.

Rising junior WR Mike Brown. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Mike Brown

While much of the talk on Sunday was about 2025 wide receivers, one rising junior in Mike Brown had a nice showing. The Legacy School of Sport Sciences product doesn’t have an offer from the Longhorns yet, but it’s on his list of schools he’d like to receive interest from. A source tells Horn247 that Brown is squarely on Texas’ radar and is likely one that will be recruited by the staff. The 6-foot-1, 170-pounder visited Austin last fall for the Wyoming game. He’s teammates with another Texas target in Kiesean Henderson. Keep his name in your back pocket. 

Andrew Marsh, WR, Katy Jordan

Marsh has continued the strategy he’s long maintained which consists of listing more than a handful of schools as current standouts: Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Louisville, Kentucky, Texas A&M. While Marsh rarely shows his cards, I was able to speak with several sources around the top 100 prospect throughout the weekend who gave Texas a much better shot than I’d heard for the majority of the last year. Seeing Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell light up the combine almost forced Marsh to realize that the Longhorns are actually producing high round NFL receiver talent for the first time in a long time, and I think that will benefit Texas plenty going forward, especially come late April when every recruit in the nation tunes into the draft. On the same note though, a specific source in Houston has long maintained the strong belief that Marsh will end up at Texas A&M and if I’m being honest the Aggies would be my pick if you were to ask me to enter a crystal ball prediction. With three June official visits set for USC (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), and Oklahoma (June 21-23), I think it’s safe to class those three programs along with Kentucky and Texas A&M as his unofficial top five. Louisville is also hanging around and Oregon has always been known to gain ground rather quickly as well. Marsh has always been trending towards a late in-season decision with the latest on his timeline consisting that he’s wanting to announce his decision on Nov. 11 (Veterans Day) in order to honor his late father who served in the military. -- JORDAN SCRUGGS 

Lance Jackson
Texas commit Lance Jackson was one of the Top Performers on Sunday. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Lance Jackson, DL, Texarkana (TX) Pleasant Grove — Texas commit

Not wanting to jinx anything, but Jackson is about as locked in to his commitment as you could possibly be for a defensive line prospect that’s ranked in the top 100. Arkansas and Texas A&M continue to push but Jackson was adamant he’s focused on Texas and that his trip to the Forty Acres for his June 14-16 official visit will be on the only official visit he takes during the process. I’ve written about it a little before, but Jackson is a legitimate college baseball prospect that at 6-foot-5, 245 pounds can throw in the nineties on the baseball mound and thus he told the media Texas recently offered him (within the last few weeks) the option to play baseball for the Longhorns as well. He’s still weighing the options of what playing two sports in college would like and it’s likely he still ends up only playing football, but a good nugget nonetheless. He’s continued to build his bond with Texas defensive coordinator and EDGE coach Pete Kwiatkowski with PK and the Longhorns’ staff asking Jackson to help them peer recruit McKinney four-star LB Riley Pettijohn, Belville four-star DL DJ Sanders, and Lufkin three-star DL Zion Williams. -- JORDAN SCRUGGS 

Jahkeem Stewart, DL, 2026, New Orleans (LA) St. Augustine

Stewart is on the same wavelength as Marsh where he’ll say he’s considering every school in his top 15 so just like other consensus top 10 prospects in the nation, it’s almost impossible to get a consistent read on Stewart. Texas and USC have been two schools with a lot of buzz around them lately but I’d be absolutely shocked if Stewart makes it out of state lines and LSU’s reach. I’m sure most of you can put two and two together for why LSU would be attractive to one of the best prospects to come through the boot in recent memory, but it’s also because Bo Davis has the utmost respect from Stewart and his camp as Davis has worked with plenty of D-Lineman that share the same skills trainer as Stewart. With Stewart set to have one of his role models in Barryn Sorrell and one of his close friends in Melvin Hills both on campus next season, I feel pretty strongly the Longhorns will at least crack the top five, but as we all know, it’s damn near impossible to pull cream of the crop prospects out of the state of Louisiana that are coveted by the in-state Tigers. -- JORDAN SCRUGGS 

2026 LB Kosi Okpala (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Kosi Okpala, 2026 LB, Katy Mayde Creek

There isn’t a ton of news to report on Okpala. Although there hasn’t been a ton of contact with Okpala being just a 2026 prospect, the Longhorns have been incredibly consistent in the early stages of this recruitment and I think it will pay dividends going forward. Texas will also always have a special place in this recruitment due to Okpala having a unique relationship with Brian Orakpo and with the fact that Okpala’s defensive coordinator at Mayde Creek is Rashad Bobino. I’m pretty tied into this one so I’m not sure if I’ll ever be given the green light to enter in a crystal ball, but I’ve felt Texas has had the upper hand since they offered on Jan. 22. Jeff Banks has done the majority of the work for Texas so far and outside of the Longhorns I’d class Oklahoma and Texas A&M as the main competition. This one is just getting started as Okpala has barely taken any visits, but the early returns on Texas have to have you encouraged as a Longhorns fan as Okpala could be a pretty safe bet to crack the Top247 in the next 2026 rankings update. -- JORDAN SCRUGGS 

Courtland Guillory, CB, Klein Oak

Texas, Oklahoma, and UCF were the three schools mentioned as standouts by the 6-foot-1, 170 pounder that took home MVP of the defensive back group for Sunday’s camp. Although UCF received an unofficial visit from Guillory on Saturday, this one has been shaping up to be an old school three-way battle between the regional rivals of Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. Of the schools in the race, two Houston sources believe Texas is the leader with the Sooners running in second place and the Aggies in third. Context is important too, because Guillory has already visited both Oklahoma and Texas A&M once this spring but he’s never been to Texas yet sources still believe that. Next weekend Guillory will take an unofficial trip that’ll be the aforementioned first Texas visit as he’s set to come in on the 23rd. Guillory will take his Texas official visit the June 7-9 weekend and he also has OVs set to see Arizona State, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Although he can play anywhere in the secondary and some schools are recruiting him at various positions, he told us on Sunday Texas has specified they’d like him at cornerback and it’s been Terry Joseph who’s done the majority of the work in the last month or so. -- JORDAN SCRUGGS 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

People went crazy at a few highlights of Big Wash, also a lot of people used terms like Texas lean or Texas recruit to push engagement and views on social media sites. 

Washington will not be part of Texas class. The sad part about things is a lot of people thought he had started to turn the corner early in last football season but we were all wrong. His coaches know he has to lose weight and this concern has been passed to him several times. He gotta get it together because he losing interest from other schools as well. I’m sure somebody will take him cause he is so massive but it won’t be the type of programs he and family expected. 

Truth be told, he has to get the weight down for health reason. No kids needs to be pushing 400 pounds. It ain’t healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

FYI on the Ohio State RB coaching search ... affects Davison.

Spoiler

On Ohio State's RB coaching search.  People seem happy to hear this.

(Also - chances of getting Gillespie seem to be dropping.)

image.thumb.png.089b6b7552a287656f613ffa21195803.png

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FYI on the Ohio State RB coaching search ... affects Davison.

Reveal hidden contents

On Ohio State's RB coaching search.  People seem happy to hear this.

(Also - chances of getting Gillespie seem to be dropping.)

image.thumb.png.089b6b7552a287656f613ffa21195803.png

Nooooooo I want him to stay at OU forever

• Hook 'Em 8