Charcoal

tigol

I was looking for the review of Franklin charcoal and couldn't find it.  SO, here is a new thread.

I am a B&B fan, but my HEB was sold out and they had this, so I picked it up to use on my WSM to smoke some spare ribs:

https://shop.franklinbbq.com/collections/all-products/charcoal

I used a chimney and a Webber starter to light the coals.  When they lit, smoke was billowing out.  It was much more intense than B&B.  I use the minion method on my WSM and given the smoke these things were putting out, I removed one chunk of oak (B&B oak chunks).  I just didn't want the meat over-powered.  I was worried.

The ribs are wrapped and have an hour to go, but I have to say that these coals get back to temp after opening the lid much more quickly and consistently than B&B.  I haven't tasted anything yet, but my fireboard is loving the temp regulation.

I use B&B lump for my BGE when cooking steaks, burgers, etc.  I like for the coals to ash over a bit before putting the meat on to avoid any off "creosote" type flavors. 

Any recs out there?  Anyone like the Central Market offerings?

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Can't go wrong with B&B for sure.  I always bring back at least a milk crate full of mesquite when I come home from S Texas.  Get some Kingsford started then lay the wood over it.  Tonights dinner..chick thighs, boudin, and a couple boneless pork ribs. 

20211205_150327.jpg

is it too late for me to go pick up a plate ?

Egg

• B&B as a base is my favorite
  • Prime 6 honeycomb logs stacked on top
  • Cured post oak chunks mixed in

Offset

• Any lump or charcoal I can find to create the base
  • Prime 6 logs (burn hotter/longer than most lump)
  • Larger oak logs added in over time per the usual method

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i only use virgin unseasoned white oak first-cut first-growth

Four shalt thou useth only the virginest of thine oak logs, neither use thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number, the holy oak of Antioch is ready....

y7j7zZ.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

KBB.  It's just too consistent not to use.  Some claim they can test something unpleasant that it imparts.  I'm not among them.  I tried Stubb's once a few years ago and didn't care for the odor from it while cooking and found it to be a little less consistent temperaturewise.  But I didn't taste anything funny I smelled in the finished product.  In any event, I went back to KBB after that.  Occasionally, I'll grab some RO lump for the grill, but I usually don't bother.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:16 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

B&B was all sold out at my HEB in Corpus yesterday.    I wonder what’s up with that?   And this was all varieties of B&B. 

I think HEB is slow to restock popular products that they make a version of.  It happens too often to be a coincidence.  They never seem to be out of their version of whatever it is.  Last week it was tortilla chips.  No other brands were on the shelf except HEB tortilla chips.

I used the Central Market mesquite lump for some steaks a few weeks ago and they were fine.  I have been wanting to try the Franklin stuff too, but haven't seen it yet.

Edited by kevwun

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think HEB is slow to restock popular products that they make a version of.  It happens too often to be a coincidence.  They never seem to be out of their version of whatever it is.  Last week it was tortilla chips.  No other brands were on the shelf except HEB tortilla chips.

I used the Central Market mesquite lump for some steaks a few weeks ago and they were fine.  I have been wanting to try the Franklin stuff too, but haven't seen it yet.

They were also sold out of that Mesquite Lump from Central Market as that is my second go to and actually used it often before giving the B&B brand a try and loving it. In fact they were out of their own line of premium briquette charcoal save a couple of bags.    Just weird because even during weekends like Super Bowl, Thanksgiving, etc. where you would expect demand to drain the inventory, they would still have enough on hand.  

I've used Franklin with a brisket in my pit barrel and it did the trick.  The coals burned long, but I did add  some Post Oak chunks  to enhance the flavor and keep the fire going longer. .   Still prefer B&B.

44 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Also having trouble finding good charcoal at my HEB. Most lump hasn't been on the shelf since before Thanksgiving and all they had were Kingsford brick and their HEB brand brick. The HEB brand brick has been surprisingly good, though.

The HEB Grand Champion as its labeled is pretty darn good for brick....  I like it over Kingsford and Royal Oak.

I'll use it for the quick stuff like burgers , chicken, or fajitas.  And  use the lump for the steaks, brisket, ribs, etc.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

100% this, HeB does this intentionally. They’ll also move the non HeB stuff to odd locations 

Ace Hardware had a sale $10 off 50 so I stocked up and they deliver to my address for free for all orders over $50. I got a couple bags also of these char-logs along with my normal B&B oak briquettes. Anyone used the logs? 

FYI I've tried all the brands. B&B is the best. 

20211209_191720.thumb.jpg.f8b2dbea2fa843f2bc0e4a4c3d5327e4.jpg

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Ace Hardware had a sale $10 off 50 so I stocked up and they deliver to my address for free for all orders over $50. I got a couple bags also of these char-logs along with my normal B&B oak briquettes. Anyone used the logs? 

FYI I've tried all the brands. B&B is the best. 

20211209_191720.thumb.jpg.f8b2dbea2fa843f2bc0e4a4c3d5327e4.jpg

I got the char logs at Ace.  It shows a picture of a kamodo cooker on the front, so I assume they are high enough quality to pass for the type of premium charcoal required in BGE types.  I have not used my bag yet.

Any results out there?

16 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Royal Oak is not the answer

16 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Team B&B here.  I generally use half a chimney or so as my fire base before adding live oak for the smoke show. 

This.  I quit Royal Oak a few years ago after more than one bag was very poor to say the least.  B&B is a much better product.

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

This.  I quit Royal Oak a few years ago after more than one bag was very poor to say the least.  B&B is a much better product.

The Royal Oak "Natural" was pretty good for me today.  Smelled like I remembered Stubb's smelling during the cook.  This was the "natural" briquettes made from the lump with a vegetable binder, not the "classic."  $9 for 16 lbs.  Burned consistently, but with some adjustment, I was able to get it going a bit hotter than KBB toward the end of the cook with some minor adjustments.  I'd use it again.

Edited by dcbc