The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 1/24/2024 at 9:19 AM, Reagan1k said:

SIAP but Daniel Defense now has the H9.  https://danieldefense.com/daniel-h9.html

Low bore axis, trigger, and feel of a 1911 in a striker fire is the goal.

It's DD's remake of the Hudson H9.  I have two of the Hudsons in my safe - never been fired.

Interested to see the reviews of the DD version.  Hudson was certainly on to something before the went poof.

Hopefully DD has their version nailed.  Would be a great compromise for those who love shooting the 1911 but want the simplicity of SF.

Edit: I'm so regarded (and trying to type up a proposal, deal with a conference call, and peruse Surly all at the same time)... You answered my question in the first sentence... my bad.

---------

This looks a lot like the now defunct Hudson 9... Did Daniel Defense buy the designs from them?

Hudson H9 Low-Bore-Axis Striker-Fired High-Capacity 9mm Combat/Tactical Pistol: Taking the 1911 Pistol Right into the 21st Century! – DefenseReview.com (DR): An online tactical technology and military defense technology magazine with particular focus on the latest and greatest tactical firearms news (tactical gun news), tactical gear news and tactical shooting news.

Edited by ChickenNuggets

Yeah, but the aesthetics are a dealbreaker for a lot of enthusiasts.
Like that Tesla “pickup truck” is for the 4x4 crowd.

I looked at the kahr for you.

Looks like a khar. Trigger is awful. Fucking awful.

I’d never buy one but I know that’s your fetish.

I still need a thermal for some hog slaughter. There are so many options that I’m starting to get choice fatigue…

Can anyone here sell me on something with good range / picture? I care less about bells and whistles, just want something rock solid that supports reaching out to 4-500 with ease.

Let’s call the budget 3k…

I still need a thermal for some hog slaughter. There are so many options that I’m starting to get choice fatigue…

Can anyone here sell me on something with good range / picture? I care less about bells and whistles, just want something rock solid that supports reaching out to 4-500 with ease.

Hmmm. Maybe infiray, Bering optics, agm in that range.
  • Like 1

So PSA is basically trying to corner the budget-mid level for every firearm market now?

Emerge Bolt action rifle
Sabre precision bolt action
570 pump Shotgun
Jakl in like 5 calibers now including a .308
Sabre like Jakl expansion
Dagger like above including 10mm
Vuk (looks like a Zastava clone)
PSA 5.7 (hk mp7 clone but in 5.7)
Thumper (m203 “clone”)

On the wheel-gun side of the house, Chiappas are focused on the same ergonomics with the bore firing off the bottom cylinder and not the top.  I really like them, they are just so damn proud of them.  

One of my many regrettable decisions was passing on a Mateba autorevolver on GunBroker about 15 years ago for the seemingly high sum of about $700, now they’re 10x that and very hard to come by. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Haha 2

Yeah, have a friend with two of them and I've spent quite a bit of time with both.  I really, really like them.  Just have to keep your fingers away from the cylinders, as they are on the bottom and you will have some gas escape from both sides.

One thing of note, see the flat sides of the cylinders?  They sit flush in your holster and don't stick out quite as much as a traditional round cylinder.

image.png.32f4543ed9026acda858d83eca581c77.pngimage.png.eeaf227fdc4bf0752bdcc1346b2006b3.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, have a friend with two of them and I've spent quite a bit of time with both.  I really, really like them.  Just have to keep your fingers away from the cylinders, as they are on the bottom and you will have some gas escape from both sides.
One thing of note, see the flat sides of the cylinders?  They sit flush in your holster and don't stick out quite as much as a traditional round cylinder.
image.png.32f4543ed9026acda858d83eca581c77.pngimage.png.eeaf227fdc4bf0752bdcc1346b2006b3.png

I bet Miculek can cook with one of those.
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I have a Bering Optics Super Hogster that can easily detect and identify critters at those ranges. Making a shot that far with a thermal is a whole different story. Look up The Late Night Vision Show on YouTube. Couple of East Texas guys that test and sell just about everything out there. Hell, you can call them and they’ll tell you exactly what you’re looking for. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I have a Bering Optics Super Hogster that can easily detect and identify critters at those ranges. Making a shot that far with a thermal is a whole different story. Look up The Late Night Vision Show on YouTube. Couple of East Texas guys that test and sell just about everything out there. Hell, you can call them and they’ll tell you exactly what you’re looking for. 

This.

I also was a.amantine on insta, he makes long shits but he’s using 10-15k iray thermals for those.

My BiL has the hogster and he can identify most critters out past 400yds easily but our shots are usually inside of 200 yards. Usually inside of 100 tbh because I have a digital NV scope and thermal scanner so I don’t take longer shots
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Unless the price on the shelf is cheaper than the Italian guns, I'm not sure I see the point. May have to get one just because I don't think they'll last long and be rare years down the road.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:34 AM, Armybrat said:

Just found this 35 year old Daisy BB/pellet pistol on the back of a closet shelf. 
It belongs to one of my sons who apparently forgot it when he moved out 30 years ago.

I just tried it out in the back yard, and it seems to work fine. 
Guess he’ll have a surprise next time he comes over.

1DAB86DA-3EF4-4C98-BFA2-4D2192791A22.jpeg

FB30C753-F21D-4EE2-85B4-D4C5B095A23C.jpeg

0E75A096-BD35-449E-814A-66ABF17B7C06.jpeg

"Guess he'll have a surprise next time he comes over." 

Are you going to shoot him?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

man.. takes me back. i could legit shoot flies off shit at 20 paces with mine. And those little green army men? Forget about it, I could knock them off from halfway across the yard.

similar to  my memories,    Mine was was Dad's hand me down from the late 1950's, was fairly worn out and had the tendency to misfire when it was being cocked. One day I had it between my legs trying to cock it ( I was may 6 or so) and it misfired and i didn't know it at the time but it shot the parent's bath room window. Well the gun went away for a few months after he discovered the hole a few weeks later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/23/2024 at 10:34 AM, Armybrat said:

Just found this 35 year old Daisy BB/pellet pistol on the back of a closet shelf. 
It belongs to one of my sons who apparently forgot it when he moved out 30 years ago.

I just tried it out in the back yard, and it seems to work fine. 
Guess he’ll have a surprise next time he comes over.

1DAB86DA-3EF4-4C98-BFA2-4D2192791A22.jpeg

FB30C753-F21D-4EE2-85B4-D4C5B095A23C.jpeg

0E75A096-BD35-449E-814A-66ABF17B7C06.jpeg

My brothers and I had a few of those when we were kids, took them in our household items to Scotland and ran around the wooded/natural areas of the base with them shooting at stuff.  One of my brothers got me in the forehead from a 100 feet away.  Thinking back we got away with a lot of stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

man.. takes me back. i could legit shoot flies off shit at 20 paces with mine. And those little green army men? Forget about it, I could knock them off from halfway across the yard.

I turned with the corner with the ubiquitous Sheridan .177 pellet rifle.  Ducks, birds, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, lizards, and a thousands stock-tank turtles met their demise at my hands with that old girl.  Folks still have it at their house.  After that was a break-action pellet rifle that held it's "air" longer than the pump options, and then of course the single-shot .22lr.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of toys were destroyed.  GI joe.  Star wars.  Transformers.  Models of every kind.  We even got a GI Joe boat, and glued pennies to the outside as "armor" and turned it loose in the stock tank.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I turned with the corner with the ubiquitous Sheridan .177 pellet rifle.  Ducks, birds, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, lizards, and a thousands stock-tank turtles met their demise at my hands with that old girl.  Folks still have it at their house.  After that was a break-action pellet rifle that held it's "air" longer than the pump options, and then of course the single-shot .22lr.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of toys were destroyed.  GI joe.  Star wars.  Transformers.  Models of every kind.  We even got a GI Joe boat, and glued pennies to the outside as "armor" and turned it loose in the stock tank.  

Haha, nice. I shot my red rider so much the spring broke on it :/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I had the .22 Sheridan but always wanted the 177.  177 was a screamer.  Wish I knew where that Sheridan is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Still have the Daisy 880 in the closet. 
Last used it a few years ago to scare off a persistently annoying Blue Jay that kept dive-bombing me whenever I walked out the front door. It got stung good and quit the harassment, but lived to hassle someone else.

00BA9923-0ACC-4687-8B9B-6529F2ED1B4A.jpeg

The new line of air rifles pushing 1100-1200fps are wild.  Basically 22's.  We were excited back in the day to match half that in terms of velocity.  Having that ONE shot that you had to make count was so important back in the day.  I remember my first duck, we brained two greenies on a stock tank, cleaned them and ensued to cook the worst duck anyone in the planet has even tasted.  I think it turned me off duck for decades until I had some from someone who knew what they were doing.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The new line of air rifles pushing 1100-1200fps are wild.  Basically 22's.  We were excited back in the day to match half that in terms of velocity.  Having that ONE shot that you had to make count was so important back in the day.  I remember my first duck, we brained two greenies on a stock tank, cleaned them and ensued to cook the worst duck anyone in the planet has even tasted.  I think it turned me off duck for decades until I had some from someone who knew what they were doing.  

Wasn’t the .177 Sheridan 1000?  The .22 was 800.  Don’t remember what the weirdo chrome .20 cal did. 

Count me in the 5mm Sheridan fan club.  This was around 1970.  No telling how many thousands of pellets went down the barrel.  I would save up my money to go to Treasure City and get a new yellow box of 5mm pellets.  Nothing quite like the feeling of material wealth that was attributed to carrying a full box of pellets.  I did not need anything else, until about 1975 and a church hayride changed my focus to girls.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Went to a sporting clay event yesterday and my old Silver Pigeon pump took a shit and needs to go to the shop.  I need a new shotgun for mostly dove and clays, something durable and auto.  Shot my teammates a300 and liked it.

Is there something else under $1k that I should look at?  I don't shot a ton, maybe 4-5 times a year.  I did some light research and didnt think the 400 would be worth double the price for me.

help me gun nerds, you're my only hope

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I have a Gamo with a scope on that. I live on a 1.5 acre wooded lot and squirrels have been chewing on my house. I have killed probably 25 squirrels in the past month with it. It is pretty awesome being able to tattoo a squirrel that's 60 feet up in a tree with an air rifle. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

Went to a sporting clay event yesterday and my old Silver Pigeon pump took a shit and needs to go to the shop.  I need a new shotgun for mostly dove and clays, something durable and auto.  Shot my teammates a300 and liked it.

Is there something else under $1k that I should look at?  I don't shot a ton, maybe 4-5 times a year.  I did some light research and didnt think the 400 would be worth double the price for me.

help me gun nerds, you're my only hope

Can't go wrong with the A300

For the sake of argument, you could also look at the Franchi Affinity 3 or Winchester SX4

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I have a Gamo with a scope on that. I live on a 1.5 acre wooded lot and squirrels have been chewing on my house. I have killed probably 25 squirrels in the past month with it. It is pretty awesome being able to tattoo a squirrel that's 60 feet up in a tree with an air rifle. 

Same.  First squirrel I shot, my Golden Retriever watched it fall out of the tree, ran to it and brought it back to me.  Then, she looked at me like, "Finally, you figure out what I was put on earth to do."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Years ago my next door neighbor had two nice Labs (one chocolate, one older black). 
When the neighbors were at work during good weather, the dogs stayed in their fenced back yard all day. For the first few years there were no problems, as they didn’t bark much at all. 
Then one Spring the young chocolate Lab started barking incessantly hours on end for several days in a row. 
By the second week it was getting really annoying, and I checked them out closer to discover that an asshole squirrel was sitting on a tree branch above the Lab chattering away, baiting the dog. I threw some pebbles at the tree rat and missed, not fazing it at all.

The next day when the racket started up again, I went to Academy and bought some .177 pellets for the Daisy 880 - it can shoot them single shot. Went home to see the squirrel was still at it in the tree. 
So, standing on my back patio I loaded a single pellet after pumping the Daisy and shot the asshole tree rat off that branch and the Lab pounced on it to make short work finishing it off. Good dog.
Problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That's how you do it. 

When I was in college, I spent a summer working for a professional hunting guide near Denali. We had a very friendly fox nearby with pups (his name was Fat Boy; we never saw the female). In the afternoons I would walk in the woods with Fat Boy about twenty feet behind me and hunt red squirrels with a .22 short. He'd grab the squirrel, run it back to his den, and then come back to me and sit down, waiting for the next move. Pretty cool. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1