Another state championship the refs missed it play...

MonkeyDoughnut

Umpire and Referee are supposed to confirm the offense only has 11 before every snap.
Bad mistake

As a TXHS FB official (Umpire) you are correct! It is both the R and U’s job for each play, to verify there is 11 on offense. Bad miss on that one!

If there is only 10, usually on Extra point tries, I’ll let it slide, but there is no advantage there either.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Prior to each play from scrimmage, our signal from me (U) to the R is my left arm raised at a 90 degree angle/out, that I hold until he acknowledges to me prior to the snap. Many times, because of me spotting the ball, then retreating into my place/spot, he’ll be signaling for me to acknowledge.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

As a TXHS FB official (Umpire) you are correct! It is both the R and U’s job for each play, to verify there is 11 on offense. Bad miss on that one!

If there is only 10, usually on Extra point tries, I’ll let it slide, but there is no advantage there either.

Are there 10 second run-offs in high school? 

19 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

6 seconds left in the game....

Breaking the huddle:

FFuxq4lWYAQ6g_Y.715bf18f.jpeg.3018734cd13540a486c3c85444627bef.jpeg

Something to note here is that sure they get a 5 yard penalty and can kick a FG with championship on the line to win since there were only 6 seconds left...

...the kicker ended up missing the meaningless PAT after this score....

FG would have only tied it

Are there 10 second run-offs in high school? 

Yes. Only during the last minute of both the 2nd and 4th Qtrs. But for the rule to be applied multiple things have to occur: less than one minute on the clock and the offense fouls. The defense then has to say yes to the 10 sec run off and if they do, the offense can “burn” a timeout (if they have one) to save the time on the clock.

24 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Yes. Only during the last minute of both the 2nd and 4th Qtrs. But for the rule to be applied multiple things have to occur: less than one minute on the clock and the offense fouls. The defense then has to say yes to the 10 sec run off and if they do, the offense can “burn” a timeout (if they have one) to save the time on the clock.

So if 12 on the field was called and they were out of timeouts it would be ballgame

13 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

The same can be for the opposite or a defensive foul under the last minute. If there are less than 10 seconds remaining in the half/game, unless a Timeout is used to save the clock, the game can be called/over, due to the time being erased.

10 second runoff is one of those ridiculous rules that was absolutely not needed and just caused a mess.

I wasn't sure where to put this this thread seems as good as any. I went to a 3A playoff game last bight between Roosevelt (near Lubbock) and Gunter. On one play in the second quarter the Roosevelt slot guy went in motion. But instead of taking a step back and running behind the offensive line, he took a step forward and ran between the offensive and defensive line. No one jumped and they ran the play like it was perfectly normal. The refs didn't even throw a flag until someone finally realized what happened long after  the play was over. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I wasn't sure where to put this this thread seems as good as any. I went to a 3A playoff game last bight between Roosevelt (near Lubbock) and Gunter. On one play in the second quarter the Roosevelt slot guy went in motion. But instead of taking a step back and running behind the offensive line, he took a step forward and ran between the offensive and defensive line. No one jumped and they ran the play like it was perfectly normal. The refs didn't even throw a flag until someone finally realized what happened long after  the play was over. 

shower referee GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Haha 1