Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. It's a bit like saying only a hair separates Bottas from Hamilton because of qualifying. In reality Hamilton is light years better because of ability to drive an actual race. 

But he really hasn’t been better during the race. The points difference comes down to a wreck in Q3 in which Charles was on pole and got a DNF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

But he really hasn’t been better during the race. The points difference comes down to a wreck in Q3 in which Charles was on pole and got a DNF

Yeah. I really wonder if people watched the same season as me sometimes. Leclerc beat him in qualifying, race finishes, and race pace. Sainz also crashed more than Leclerc this year too. 

Hamilton’s car had way less porpoising in FP3 but his fast lap was 6th. He made a big error that cost him some time. Probably would’ve been near Russell in 4th otherwise.

It would be great to see telemetry from Merc’s FP3 laps to see if they just raised it and sacrificed some performance to fix the porpoising or if their engines were turned down. Their car still looked pretty low to the ground. Either way, we’ll know all the teams true pace in a couple hours.

wayward pines GIF

Esit: Looks like Merc was 9th in the speed trap in FP3 so you have to think they have a good bit more pace to unlock in qualifying just on the straights. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Stroll beaten by a guy who hadn’t driven for two years and just hopped in the car for the first time Friday. That is horrible. Latifi outqualified by a second by Albon. 

Bad day for the pay drivers who don’t deserve to be in F1. 

mazepin wondering if putin hadn't invaded if he'd be in Q2

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, this is exactly why not deleting Perez's Q1 time was a terrible fuckup. Taking only one session to fuck up led directly to only taking two sessions to be inconsistent. 

More likely they made a mistake or there was a technical error in Q1 than inconsistency. 

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

But there's not really an excuse for that. He was blatantly off track with the naked eye on the television feed. Is nobody watching that? 

That’s why I think it’s most likely some sort of technical error. It’s the first Qualifying of the season after all. Otherwise it’s an inexplicable error. 

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I am def more worried about the Merc PU than their porpoising/aero issues.

Did they finally make a dud?!?

Absolutely crazy. The relative performance of all Merc teams definitely seems like there’s a real engine issue. 

I don’t see how it’s possible for them to be this down really. At worst E10 was going to be a drop of 80 up, but most teams were reported to claw back at least 60hp if not all over the offseason. Other than that, Merc should’ve using more or less the same engine from last year, which was the beat on the grid. 

Absolutely crazy. The relative performance of all Merc teams definitely seems like there’s a real engine issue. 

I don’t see how it’s possible for them to be this down really. At worst E10 was going to be a drop of 80 up, but most teams were reported to claw back at least 60hp if not all over the offseason. Other than that, Merc should’ve using more or less the same engine from last year, which was the beat on the grid. 

Definitely some strange things going on.

Wow, lots to digest in that session. 

Ferrari putting it together
Bottas starting alongside Hamilton and beating out Russell
Mercedes' issues (I don't believe for a second they can't make a comeback over the season)
Haas looking really good compared to last year
McLaren?!
The new graphics suck compared to last year -- and not just the timing bar.

I'm not a Ferrari fan or a Ferrari hater -- happy for fresh blood at the top. But I am wondering what will go wrong for them tomorrow. They always seem to find a way to make a mistake. Of course, I don't think anyone has any idea how the race will go. All the drivers still seem uncomfortable with their cars from what I've seen.

My first hot take of the season: Russell sucks

Hope not, was going to try and pull for him this year even though he is at Mercedes

Mclaren looks like shit unfortunately

Can haas stay up there and look decent?

Should be an interesting season

I guess I’ll be following Fernando as usual

One more thought -- Schumacher beat the brakes off Mazepin last year. If Mick is 12th in qualifying, let's say that Mazepin is 15th. Hell, give him 13th.

Instead, Haas trades that for a 7th place start. 

That Ferrari PU is no joke. If you look at these times compared to last year and how much time the non-Ferrari teams lost, it looks like the Ferrari PU might have improved by about .8 per lap. Based on how, Haas and Alfa performed, it looks like Ferrari probably has the best PU on the grid now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

One more thought -- Schumacher beat the brakes off Mazepin last year. If Mick is 12th in qualifying, let's say that Mazepin is 15th. Hell, give him 13th.

Instead, Haas trades that for a 7th place start. 

Mick screwed up his last lap in Q2. He had a good shot at Q3 if he doesn’t mess up. 

But yeah, no doubt KMag is a huge upgrade over Mazepin. 

Edited by Burt Macklin