Tonga tsunami

Immaculate Vibes

On 1/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, Celery Man said:

The last time I watched footage like that (tsunami waves crashing in), Vince Young was about to fuck up Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

You never saw the 2011 Japan tsunami footage? That was all over the internet & news. Probably the most jaw-dropping nature footage I can remember. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

You must not have seen footage from the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami then. It’s like Japan only in Indonesia, Thailand, and Sri Lanka (in addition to several others). It killed over 250,000 people.

I saw both. There’s no comparison between the scope of the 04 footage to 11. The real time aerial view of water just covering the Japanese countryside was surreal. Made it look like the apocalypse. Also given there were cell phone cameras there was a ton more footage of urban damage in 11 than 04. 

the main undersea cable that handles their entire phone and internet capability is severed in at least 2 places.   only communication available is via radio or satellite phones.  estimates are it will be at least 2 weeks before they have the internet up.

and supposedly the amount of ash is so deep on the runways that they dont think many planes can land with suppplies. 

They are going to be pretty alone for quite a while. 

It appears that the eruption may have been much larger than what I had originally thought. I had looked at this history of eruptions from this volcano and there was nothing higher than a VEI 2 recorded.  This may turn out to be a VEI 5 or 6 which would be the largest eruption since Pinatubo in 1991. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

It appears that the eruption may have been much larger than what I had originally thought. I had looked at this history of eruptions from this volcano and there was nothing higher than a VEI 2 recorded.  This may turn out to be a VEI 5 or 6 which would be the largest eruption since Pinatubo in 1991. 

Yeah, I've seen and paid attention to a lot of eruptions over the last 15-20 years and the satellite imagery alone made me think it was much larger than just a 2.  That pressure wave alone was so pronounced that I didn't think it would be less than a 4.  

From the NY Times (sorry it's behind a paywall and can't figure out how to copy the multilayer images):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/01/18/world/australia/tonga-map.html

Spoiler

RUSSIA

UNITED

STATES

CHINA

PACIFIC

OCEAN

KIRIBATI

INDONESIA

SAMOA

FIJI

TONGA

AUSTRALIA

NEW

ZEALAND

ANTARCTICA

Mapping a First Look at Tonga’s
Devastation After the Volcano Eruption
By Scott Reinhard and Jugal K. PatelJan. 18, 2022

After a powerful undersea volcanic eruption Saturday evening near the island nation of Tonga, early reports gave an indication of the expanse of its destruction. Tonga, an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, is just 40 miles from the volcano, and just over 1,000 miles off the coast of New Zealand.

SAMOA

WALLIS AND

FUTUNA

AMERICAN

SAMOA

PACIFIC OCEAN

NIUE

TONGA

FIJI

Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcano

Area of

detail below

The New York Times
On Monday and Tuesday, the Royal New Zealand Defense Force and the Australian Defense Force dispatched reconnaissance flights, supply aircrafts and ships to aid with damage assessment and humanitarian response.

The map below incorporates initial reports from the government of Tonga, which detailed death and damage after the eruption triggered a tsunami that battered the nation and flung a plume of ash thousands of feet into the air, blanketing the islands.

20 MILES

N

VAVA'U GROUP

Vava'u

Communications were

limited to satellite phone

after the eruption destroyed

undersea cables.

PACIFIC OCEAN

15-meter (50-foot)

waves struck

the Ha'apai islands.

HA'APAI GROUP

Emergency responders were deployed

to Nomuka, Mango, and Fonoifua islands

on Tuesday, where an evacuation was underway.

Fonoifua island

Only two homes remain.

Nomuka island

A 49 year-old man died.

Extensive damage was reported.

Mango island

A 65 year-old woman died.

All homes were destroyed.

TONGA

Tongatapu island

15-meter (50-foot) waves caused

extensive damage along

the western coast. Only domestic

phone calls were possible.

Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano

Atata island

Search and rescue operations began

Sunday. Residents were being evacuated.

TONGATAPU GROUP

Kanokupolu

Officials said 21 homes

were destroyed and

35 severely damaged.

'Eua island

Two homes were destroyed

and 45 severely damaged.

Nuku'alofa

Kolomotu'a

Eight homes were destroyed

and 20 severely damaged

in this suburb of the island’s

capital, Nuku'alofa.

The New York Times
Satellites captured the massive eruption. Among the many effects observed by scientists were about 400,000 lightning incidents recorded in the 12 hours after the eruption.