Tonga tsunami

Immaculate Vibes

Tonga is only 45 miles from the volcano, so those people didn't have time to go anywhere.  As far tsunamis go though, that one doesn't seem to be too deadly.  It's definitely going to cause a lot of property damage though. 

In this loop, the frames that show its size and distance in relation to Australia are impressive. Keep your eye on the far right a little below the midline. The plume is massive - looks to be at least the size of Ohio or almost Colorado if I'm judging it correctly.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was hoping this was a new NIL deal to establish a permanent pipeline into Euless Trinity offensive linemen.  

Ha, just saw your comment. First thing I thought of was DFW baggage handler and Trinity football. 

30 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Wow Santa Cruz Harbor got wrecked in the Chile “tsunami” maybe 10-12 years ago.  It was the only one.  Ventura Harbor had rushing water, but that was it.  Cat Harbor on the backside of Catalina got whipped too.

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

This wasn’t a very big volcanic explosion either. That was maybe a VEI 2. There should be little to no impact on the global temps as a result of this.

How long will the general area be impacted? Skies and water? Clarity, health hazards? How far will the impact reach? 

How long will the general area be impacted? Skies and water? Clarity, health hazards? How far will the impact reach? 

Those closest to the eruption will likely be more impacted by the three feet of water in their homes and businesses from the tsunami than from the eruption itself.

16 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Pressure waves as recorded by my and my brothers weather stations in south Austin and the Heights in a Houston. 

307CB18A-F114-4A5C-B296-173AEE835CA0.jpeg

05DD2C3C-FC5E-41BE-BE3B-F5F219F15229.jpeg

You'd kind of think it would be more transient than that (up down), but I guess thousands of miles away it attenuates into a gradual pressure rise.

9 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Interesting vid from Scott Manley on the eruption. Cool to see the data showing the pressure wave propagating through the US (3:30 into the video)

So according to this, that video above if the eruption was actually the smaller eruption a day before. 

• Like 1