2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I'm the Texas brain trust, I'm doing my best to make someone besides Alo the hero for OU. I realize just putting her on ("intentionally" or not) brings serious risk as well, but that's a chance I'm probably willing to take. 

She's not a machine, she can be contained.  She was 1-9 in the series in Austin.  

0-3, 2 K
1-3, 1 K
0-3, 1K

The problem is you have a 27 HR hitter and a 22 HR hitter behind her.  And they have 14 HR, 14 HR and 12 HR hitters in the lineup later on. 

Pick your poison, but intentionally putting a Sooner on base is a good recipe to give up 2 runs pretty quickly.  If you can limit them to solo HRs, that's a win for a pitching staff against OU. 

If you're going to miss, miss badly and hope she chases.  Don't "miss" over the middle of the plate and give her something. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Vegas certainly doesn't think much of our chances

IMG_3906.jpeg.e63b4880c2a8c0666ab551123328b66e.jpeg

They are honestly giving us more of a chance than I thought they would. They are giving OU an 87.5% chance of winning the series. I would put it higher, around 95%. But this is why you play the game. Hopefully we can pull the shocker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

speaking of Luna, it would probably be nice if we honored her at some point.  maybe they did and I missed it.  she's not Cat but she was a 3 time First team all conference player and damn if she didn't drag Connie's helpless ass to the CWS only to be done in by the normal crappy Connie era hitting.

She not a Luna no more…

🤘🏼 Mrs. Lovos ❤️

112F3433-6635-4DEF-98D2-70C96FFEB0FC.jpeg

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

They are honestly giving us more of a chance than I thought they would. They are giving OU an 87.5% chance of winning the series. I would put it higher, around 95%. But this is why you play the game. Hopefully we can pull the shocker. 

Massey (computers) gives OU 84% chance and a 2-0 series win.  So it's not far off from the computers. 

Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She's not a machine, she can be contained.  She was 1-9 in the series in Austin.  

0-3, 2 K
1-3, 1 K
0-3, 1K

The problem is you have a 27 HR hitter and a 22 HR hitter behind her.  And they have 14 HR, 14 HR and 12 HR hitters in the lineup later on. 

Pick your poison, but intentionally putting a Sooner on base is a good recipe to give up 2 runs pretty quickly.  If you can limit them to solo HRs, that's a win for a pitching staff against OU. 

If you're going to miss, miss badly and hope she chases.  Don't "miss" over the middle of the plate and give her something. 

I'd love to think we can hold her to just one hit in this series. It's just that I can't see us making it happen again, even if Dolcini's velocity and control are excellent.

I certainly realize who else is in their lineup, but if you pitch them all equally well, to me Alo seems the greatest danger. If nothing else, keeping her from trotting the bases will minimize camera time for her family, which in itself would be a "huge" relief. 

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Damn I didn’t realize how many Houston area softball players Texas has. Let’s continue to recruit heavily from there 

7C71C1DF-C7E9-4B34-9D4E-96E76F0CC558.png

ha - bella's from DFW.

I'd love to see Mike parlay this team's success into a bit more national recruiting like OU does.  Yes, Texas is a hotbed of talent.  But we should be able to look far and wide with our brand.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I'm the Texas brain trust, I'm doing my best to make someone besides Alo the hero for OU. I realize just putting her on ("intentionally" or not) brings serious risk as well, but that's a chance I'm probably willing to take. 

The recipe for success against this team is to keep Jayda Coleman off the bases and make them hit 4-5 solo HR to win. Texas will need great pitching/defense and 5-6 runs to beat this team. OU has shown in their 3 losses that they get frustrated and press at the plate when they struggle. If we let them get going early, they will steamroll us

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I would also add that our pitchers have to stay ahead in the count. OU players feast early and when ahead in the count. They tend to shorten up and hit more ground balls when behind. Then we pray the softball Gods have them hit it at us.

Dolcini needs that screw to be working. Bc she had OU’s hitters on top of it or too far under it. Lotta ground balls and pop ups. Not so much in the 1-0 game 

Interested to see what they worked on yesterday with the loss of some velocity. She’ll have to pinpoint her location to compensate. She had the OSU batters off kilter the last 3 innings or so 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Just curious, is there such a thing as a late bloomer in this sport?  Do they all end up at lower level schools or do girls get trap-doored at the big schools like boys do in football?

I'd argue Blaire Luna was a 'late bloomer' when she came to Texas. If my memory serves me correct, Texas was her only power 5 offer. 

I know there were many that thought Kim Bruins was the better of the two pitchers when they enrolled. Blaire just happened to have immediate success as a freshman.

Hey guys, I don't follow baseball/softball much.

When I think of a tournament, I think of a team winning and moving on.

Or a team losing and no longer getting to play.

It seems this logic does not apply to Womens Softball tournament?
How does Texas get to continue playing after it lost to Oklahoma in the tournament?

I'm obviously happy about it... I just don't understand how the rules work?

image.thumb.png.fe7f49fe5389a53c9fce56e81e3dc009.png

7 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Hey guys, I don't follow baseball/softball much.

When I think of a tournament, I think of a team winning and moving on.

Or a team losing and no longer getting to play.

It seems this logic does not apply to Womens Softball tournament?
How does Texas get to continue playing after it lost to Oklahoma in the tournament?

I'm obviously happy about it... I just don't understand how the rules work?

image.thumb.png.fe7f49fe5389a53c9fce56e81e3dc009.png

Nice Jacksonville Jaguars Fan GIF - Nice Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Seriously GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Just curious, is there such a thing as a late bloomer in this sport?  Do they all end up at lower level schools or do girls get trap-doored at the big schools like boys do in football?

At 13 years old, no coach would have looked twice at a 5’6”, 100 lb skinny kid from west Houston who had only been pitching 2 years. Yes Virginia, there are late bloomers! 😁

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lostman said:

At 13 years old, no coach would have looked twice at a 5’6”, 100 lb skinny kid from west Houston who had only been pitching 2 years. Yes Virginia, there are late bloomers! 😁

Speaking of, what’s Cat doing back in Texas tonight? We need her back in OKC, where she’s been! CDC, send the plane! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Another guy who’s been captivated by this team. Just tuned in one day to watch them play Arkansas and never stopped. I can’t get enough. It’s a fucking emotional roller coaster. 

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Another guy who’s been captivated by this team. Just tuned in one day to watch them play Arkansas and never stopped. I can’t get enough. It’s a fucking emotional roller coaster. 

This game has so much to offer in the way of compelling viewership. Glad you are on board. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I will watch every inning of however many games we have left, as this team has earned that from me. Regardless of the outcome, I will never forget the ups and downs of this season. I agree that this would be the biggest upset in WCWS history, but as the girls say, "Why not us?"

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Aleemay said:

I'd argue Blaire Luna was a 'late bloomer' when she came to Texas. If my memory serves me correct, Texas was her only power 5 offer. 

I know there were many that thought Kim Bruins was the better of the two pitchers when they enrolled. Blaire just happened to have immediate success as a freshman.

It was known she would never go to another school.

"Just happened" comes from alot of hard work from an early age.    Blair's youth private pitching coach (Andy, can't recall his last name) was Connie's asst coach when the program began with club ball in 1996.

In fairness to Kim,  Connie rode Blaire for 4 years for what seemed to be the development detriment of others.    But Kim was also an outstanding fielder and hitter,  one of my all time favs.

Check the rise ball and movement, pitching on the black, just like Cat.    Hope we get that tonight.

But enough of history,  4 hrs to game time.   I  had trouble sleeping last night.

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

pitch high and inside.. everytime..

if she walks she walks

This.

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I feel like we are just setting ourselves up for heartbreak. This seriously would be the biggest upset in softball history if we won this series. 

Not really. We are unseeded playing against the #1 overall seed and everyone, except Texas fans, are already ordering their paper clip back-to-back championship t-shirts.

It's house money for sure, but it's not scared money either. Play loose and see what happens. Texas. Fight. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 4

The Horns are all I have left in this game that I love. My daughter finished her college career 2 years ago, and the last 3 kids from our travel teams all finished up this year as well. It was awesome seeing UCF, San Diego St., and Michigan all make regional competitions, as I was able to root for those 3 kids one more time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2