NBA All Star Weekend 2022

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

We'll never see something like this again.

I don't know. 2016 was ridiculous. 

But yeah Vince compared to the field that year was stupid. He was so clean with everything and did it all on the first attempt. 

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The field that year was good.  Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady had some great dunks.  Vince was just freakish.  It was like with MJ where everything he did just looked cool and different even if some of the other guys were technically jumping as high.  

You're right. That came to me after I commented. I think it was still the best individual performance - especially in context. Gordon and Lavine were both insane but they had 16 years of craftsmanship to borrow from that Vince didn't. 

I’m glad I quit watching the all star game and the events years ago. Feels like the only time you enjoy the all star game is when you’re in junior high into high school. My son is 8th grade and loves it and watched all the events with his friends then they went outside and lowered the goal and had a dunk contest. I think as we get older we just get cranky af and don’t like anything that compares to our childhood. 

I literally walked into the living room last night and said “why are you watching this? The dunk contest sucks now. You want to watch a real one? Here let me find it on YouTube”

holy fuck I’m that old dad now that shits on everything. I’m my dad when he said “dunking? That’s not a skill, here let me show you Bob Cousy and you’ll see real basketball fundamentals or let me show you the miken drill”.. 

just face it guys, we’re cranky old men.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m glad I quit watching the all star game and the events years ago. Feels like the only time you enjoy the all star game is when you’re in junior high into high school. My son is 8th grade and loves it and watched all the events with his friends then they went outside and lowered the goal and had a dunk contest. I think as we get older we just get cranky af and don’t like anything that compares to our childhood. 

I literally walked into the living room last night and said “why are you watching this? The dunk contest sucks now. You want to watch a real one? Here let me find it on YouTube”

holy fuck I’m that old dad now that shits on everything. I’m my dad when he said “dunking? That’s not a skill, here let me show you Bob Cousy and you’ll see real basketball fundamentals or let me show you the miken drill”.. 

Yes and no. Yes, I am definitely a cranky old man and I can shake my fist at the clouds with the best of them. But last night was fun until the slam dunk competition. My son (8th grader also) and I enjoyed watching the skills competition and the three-point shootout. And I still enjoy the slam dunk competition some years. I appreciate the props and silliness of it if the dunks are done well. The Gordon/Levine duel was only a few years ago and we both enjoyed the hell out of that. Yesterday was just awful because of the misses and lack of drama at the end over who would win.

• Hook 'Em 2

I, along with my kids, watched how to perform the perfect bounce pass and made sure our thumbs pointed down.

After that we watched Tom Emanskis baseball fundamental video that produced back to back to back AAU national champions that’s endorsed by superstar Fred McGriff
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wasn't able to watch any. Were they just letting him shoot? 

I was watching the 96 ASG the other day and it's crazy how straight up they were playing. It wasn't normal intensity D but it was like 85% throughout. Now it's 3Q of dicking around and a Q of basketball (not that I really care).

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lol @ this “kid from Akron” narrative some are running with on Twitter but referencing it to Steph curry, who evidently was born in Akron. I’m guessing most of us just assumed he was from Charlotte.

He and LBJ were born in the same hospital actually.   Remember Dell was with the Cavs at that time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I mean this is stupid. Everyone's just standing around. 

https://streamable.com/ad79il

Agree with your point about how the all star game has changed. I think the NBA has made some changes (each quarter has a winner, Elam ending) that have helped. 

I don't think this video is an accurate picture of the game last night. Steph was in the midst of one of the greatest shooting displays we've ever seen. With each make, he would increase the distance/difficulty of the next shot. After the last make in the video his next attempt was from half court. The standing around in the video is the guys caught up in the moment.  Outside of that I think they gave decent effort. 

• Hook 'Em 1