2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

58 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

To be fair, the US has college kids going against a lot of pros from other leagues.   I would assume it's the same for Canada.

it's a mixture of college kids, minor leaguers, and some from overseas major leagues like the KHL in Russia. So the narrative that we're playing amateurs against pros really isn't accurate (and thanks to NIL the top college players aren't really amateurs anymore either - just younger). 

Russia's entire team is from the KHL. They should be heavy favorites. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Julia Marino, a U.S. snowboarder, said she pulled out of Monday’s big air qualifier in Beijing due to the International Olympic Committee’s demand to cover the Prada logo on her snowboard, which she says led to her hurting her tailbone. 

Marino took to her Instagram story to explain the controversy and claimed the IOC told her to cover the designer symbol, or be disqualified from the event. 

“For everyone asking, the night before the big air (competition), the IOC told me they no longer approved my board even (though) they approved it for slope,” Marino, 24, wrote. “They told me I would be disqualified if I didn’t cover the logo and obligated me to literally draw on the base of my board with a sharpie.”
https://nypost.com/2022/02/16/prada-controversy-ruined-us-snowboarder-julia-marinos-2022-olympics/amp/

Im glad the IOC knows what’s important. Geez. Such a corrupt pile of shit. I watch for all the athletes, the danger, the stories. But damned if the IOC and certain countries make me want to tune out. 

Some more fuckery…

ZHANGJIAKOU, China (AP) — IOC president Thomas Bach offered U.S. figure skaters Olympic torches as holdover gifts while they await a resolution of the Russian doping case that is preventing them from receiving their silver medals, The Associated Press has learned.

Two people familiar with the events told AP late Wednesday that Bach, in a private meeting with the skaters in Beijing, reiterated the IOC stance that no medals ceremonies would be held for events involving Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva. The people did not want their names used because the meeting was confidential.
https://apnews.com/article/winter-olympics-figure-skating-kamila-valieva-thomas-bach-sports-21765316ac12ac759c7b29814fb34c7c

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

IOC is asshole

And the RoC and the China. But yes, the IOC is the main asshole here. Russia shouldn’t be allowed to compete. 2014 Doping ring and they just let them compete under the ROC. And still cheating and now in the premiere sport for many to watch in figure skating the other athletes are being punished. We’ll just send them home with Torches. Why not Torchy’s Tacos? I mean. Then they wanted our Snowboarder to remove her Prada logo even though the board was approved prior. Olympics shouldn’t be held where it is. But oh well..

again. I watch for the chance to see the best in the world compete. But the location (sub-temps and fake snow) plus the isolation of the athletes plus the repeated bullshit involving Russia is bullshit. 

The IOC is a huge reason why the Olympics is having shit ratings. I mean if the athletes are put in unsafe conditions, subject to shit rules (which Russia can just ignore repeatedly) and the judging of certain events has been shown to be screwy…it makes it difficult. I just like the stories as I have said repeatedly and getting to see the best in the world. 

Edited by Nicole44

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

And the RoC and the China. But yes, the IOC is the main asshole here. Russia shouldn’t be allowed to compete. 2014 Doping ring and they just let them compete under the ROC. And still cheating and now in the premiere sport for many to watch in figure skating the other athletes are being punished. We’ll just send them home with Torches. Why not Torchy’s Tacos? I mean. Then they wanted our Snowboarder to remove her Prada logo even though the board was approved prior. Olympics shouldn’t be held where it is. But oh well..

again. I watch for the chance to see the best in the world compete. But the location (sub-temps and fake snow) plus the isolation of the athletes plus the repeated bullshit involving Russia is bullshit. 

The IOC is a huge reason why the Olympics is having shit ratings. I mean if the athletes are put in unsafe conditions, subject to shit rules (which Russia can just ignore repeatedly) and the judging of certain events has been shown to be screwy…it makes it difficult. I just like the stories as I have said repeatedly and getting to see the best in the world. 

Her parents and coaches are the bigger assholes.  What they did is child abuse--giving heart medication to a 15 year old for competitive advantage, torpedoing her career and maybe her health long term.  But the IOC absolutely shouldn't let Valieva compete in the figure skating.   Just disgusting all around.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, smuggs said:

No, NHL held them back due to covid cancellations of league play.

I don't think the NHL held them back.  My understanding is that the NHL players decided not to go.

And, in fairness, who can blame them?  Being confined to your tiny-ass room while the Chinese hack your phone (which is probably a big deal for a bunch of millionaires) does not sound like a really fun time.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't think the NHL held them back.  My understanding is that the NHL players decided not to go.

And, in fairness, who can blame them?  Being confined to your tiny-ass room while the Chinese hack your phone (which is probably a big deal for a bunch of millionaires) does not sound like a really fun time.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-players-will-not-participate-in-2022-beijing-olympics/c-329206756

"The National Hockey League respects and admires the desire of NHL players to represent their countries and participate in a 'best on best' tournament," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. "Accordingly, we have waited as long as possible to make this decision while exploring every available option to enable our players to participate in the 2022 Winter Olympic Games. Unfortunately, given the profound disruption to the NHL's regular-season schedule caused by recent COVID-related events -- 50 games already have been postponed through Dec. 23 -- Olympic participation is no longer feasible.”

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Some more fuckery…

ZHANGJIAKOU, China (AP) — IOC president Thomas Bach offered U.S. figure skaters Olympic torches as holdover gifts while they await a resolution of the Russian doping case that is preventing them from receiving their silver medals, The Associated Press has learned.

Two people familiar with the events told AP late Wednesday that Bach, in a private meeting with the skaters in Beijing, reiterated the IOC stance that no medals ceremonies would be held for events involving Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva. The people did not want their names used because the meeting was confidential.
https://apnews.com/article/winter-olympics-figure-skating-kamila-valieva-thomas-bach-sports-21765316ac12ac759c7b29814fb34c7c

This isn’t on the IOC so much - they didn’t want her to compete but were overruled. Now they wait the court decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I have to admit I don't give much of a shit about the figure skating stuff.   Because, well, it's figure skating.

U.S. should finish medal total about where they have in recent years, about 3rd or 4th.  Norway should win the total again (they have a few cross country ski events left).  U.S. doesn't have a lot of other medal potential events left, maybe 1-2;  

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I have to admit I don't give much of a shit about the figure skating stuff.   Because, well, it's figure skating.

U.S. should finish medal total about where they have in recent years, about 3rd or 4th.  Norway should win the total again (they have a few cross country ski events left).  U.S. doesn't have a lot of other medal potential events left, maybe 1-2;  

Agreed on total medal count, and my prediction on the gold count: Eileen Gu wins gold later this week and puts China ahead of the US.  

22 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

ROC is going to destroy Slovakia in the semis unless they have their own miracle on ice team going on

Totally pulling for Slovakia now. It is a small country with fewer than 5 1/2 million people. That would put it right behind Minnesota and just ahead of South Carolina in population size vs US states. 

Look at how big this was for the little kids there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Exposition said:

Agreed on total medal count, and my prediction on the gold count: Eileen Gu wins gold later this week and puts China ahead of the US.  

The rest of the world looks at Gold Medal count and only considers total medals when listing countries with tied gold medal counts. 

B513F910-94F9-4BD0-9653-342648148D8E.jpeg

F2F6881C-5AC4-4AE1-9B5E-86EFF27848DF.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Totally pulling for Slovakia now. It is a small country with fewer than 5 1/2 million people. That would put it right behind Minnesota and just ahead of South Carolina in population size vs US states. 

Look at how big this was for the little kids there. 

Thats a cute video but it concerns me that it was posted by Satan 😈