Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

In the near-term, Russian troops are probably going to step up their brutality and war-crimes count because they're desperate, and Putin appears to have zero leverage other than slaughtering innocents-- and nukes. Unless there's negotiated peace soon it's going to be a miserable couple months for Ukraine, Russians and the rest of the world. (edit- unless of course someone in russia with access to putin does the world a favor)

Edited by Chopper
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

The best thing you pointed out, and is often missed, was that we are not privy to the intel. Without that we all just guessing. 

One thing we could assume that seems to be missed in this particular conversation is that establishing a true No-Fly would involve some air to air combat with the Russian air force. That could easily spiral out of control, so it's a big risk and big commitment. 

I respectfully disagree with you as to "our voice" in this matter. Sometimes being a bit more unpredictable is advantageous. Timing and context are of course key. But announcing you will not intervene three weeks ago removes you from the equation. Since then our "voice" has been meaningless. 

Compliments on the tone of your post. I will try to match it.

Our voice in this including the quote you decry has been devoid of empty posturing. We were not going to intervene directly and everyone knew it. Speaking plainly about it lends credibility to what other things we may say.

We promised crushing economic sanctions. I thought that was the usual masturbatory threat that scares no one and harms no one that matters. We coordinated with allies and delivered exactly what was described.

The US has been wise in allowing/encouraging brother nations to announce both economic sanctions against Russia and military assistance to Ukraine. Everyone knows we could have chosen to either discourage those moves or insist on puffing our chests about them. Again, measured voice.

With nuclear weapons usage on the table, you don't want your opponent kept too much in the dark about what you intend to do. We've been clear that we won't bleed on Ukraine soil, but we will on NATO soil. Because we didn't posture about Ukraine, the world best believe we mean what we say about NATO.

Glad we agree about our ignorance of intelligence. It's one of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to form a hard opinion about what we should do. Thanks for responding to my post.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Glad we agree about our ignorance of intelligence. It's one of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to form a hard opinion about what we should do. Thanks for responding to my post.

I would phrase it more along the lines of holes in intelligence. We can't know everything. But the failures of the russian military (edit - and what the US MIC believed would happen in Ukraine) are reminding me of another rather famous hole in our intelligence back in 1989.

Edited by Chopper

Just to clarify, 17 posts about Kentucky state politics investing in Russia and I "noticed" it and it was deemed Cloak Room and I got banned for a day?  Is that what you cunts are calling fair game?  Keep protecting anti-UT cunts like Dan Patrick.  Keep doing it.   

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

fucking interesting, man

Great thread. Hate to get too optimistic but at some point perhaps we see the Ukrainians mount an effective offensive.  Like Crimea might be up for grabs if this keeps going South for the Kremlin. Maybe have enough leverage to end the thing. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

9 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

George Takei fought Klingons AND Romulans. Next time you see George Takei in a bar, you just tell the bartender you wanna cover George's tab. And then you just sit there and silently appreciate being in the presence of a legend.

Yeah but he also drew a sword on members of his own crew. I guess he couldn’t really be blamed for that, though. 

3 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

How is this a crisis for us, as Americans?

As with many endeavors of this nature, there is the chance you could choke out on Trump's cum.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Just to clarify, 17 posts about Kentucky state politics investing in Russia and I "noticed" it and it was deemed Cloak Room and I got banned for a day?  Is that what you cunts are calling fair game?  Keep protecting anti-UT cunts like Dan Patrick.  Keep doing it.   

0_HEMEDIA_TRAINSPOTTING_PUB_230259102.jp

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not the alternative universe Sulu of Mirror, Mirror. He wielded a knife. I was referring to the shirtless, virus-infected Sulu brandishing a foil in The Naked Time.

image.thumb.png.5631567b35f1272f6590b526026ea9c0.png

Foil? It's even worse; that's an Epee, son. Can hit you anywhere.

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

I was looking for this quote by Putin this morning and just happened across it. Putin, asked in 2007 whether Ukraine would ever be a part of Russia: “Of course not. We don’t want it.…It's quite useless to try to force upon anyone new state structures without the will of the relevant people.”

page 8 https://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/personoftheyear/article/0,28804,1690753_1690757_1695787-8,00.html

TIME: Do you think Ukraine will ever again become part of Russia?

PUTIN: Of course not. We don't want it. We do not want to include anyone into Russia again because for us it would only bring an additional economic burden. We want to realize our national competitive advantage in the world economy. We can only speak of economic integration. It's quite useless to try to force upon anyone new state structures without the will of the relevant people. In the modern world, it's not even necessary. Look at Europe, where national borders are no longer as important as they used to be.

I guess he didn't want Kraft's Super Bowl ring, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Can someone walk me through how posting on Twitter a screenshot of a zoom call can be used to trace the location of the person on the other end of said zoom call

Signals tracing. If russia can map active connections in real time, then they know one of 'em was Zelensky's and they'd have ways to sort through each connection and perhaps find him at his chosen location.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Signals tracing. If russia can map active connections in real time, then they know one of 'em was Zelensky's and they'd have ways to sort through each connection and perhaps find him at his chosen location.

So it was letting the public know when the call was happening rather than the pic of Z that was the f up?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So it was letting the public know when the call was happening rather than the pic of Z that was the f up?

I believe that's the angle; saw a post somewhere on Twitter about it (one of the few I haven't reposted tonight).

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's consider this for a moment, shall we? 

So, how about Uncle Joe calls Duda immediately, and says send over 18 of your fully-operational, fully-armed MIGS to Ukraine tomorrow, and tomorrow, I will have a squadron of American front-line fighters (and crews) sent to Poland and they will remain there until your MIGS are replaced with American planes, and your pilots are trained and operational in those aircraft.  

Joe, as commander-in-chief can make that deal tonight, can he not?  And, Uncle Joe has the street cred to pull off such a deal, unlike TFG. 

And let the shit-talkers in the GOP say "no" to that deal. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Zelensky will speak in front of Congress in a couple of years.  

Probably pleading for his life and country while Boobert and MTG chastise him and mockingly cry "BOO HOO!" while his people are being slaughtered and the rest of the Rs look on going, "oh, well, that's unfortunate".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It looks like the foil I used in fencing class. My Star Trek Concordance calls it a foil. (That’s right, I still have mine.) I’m going with foil.

9780345251374-us.jpg

A Nerd Duel! I accept your challenge, Sir. En garde!

If the foil you used in fencing class looked like the weapon Mr. Takei was holding, your instructor had you fencing foil using an epee. The give-away is that bell guard that hides the hand. Foils have a little baby disc there, because hand/arm-touches don't count in foil, so why guard it? In foil you can use your arm as a guard to block the torso.

In Epee, every touch counts, and that bell guard blocks hand hits coming straight in.

The Concordance is of course Biblical wisdom, but if they called that thing a "foil," it was merely to test your faith. 

Here was my first epee, during the brief time the bell guard was shiny. Now it's beaten from a thousand bashes, the glove is filthy, and I've been through multiple blades.

And yes that says "Glamdring" in Elvish script. My Nerd-Fu is ever present.

Glamdring.jpeg

Sports-fencing-weapons-foil-top-epee-middle-sabre-bottom-source-215.pbm

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Can someone walk me through how posting on Twitter a screenshot of a zoom call can be used to trace the location of the person on the other end of said zoom call

My guess is that it would be unlikely to provide any meaningfully hints to the Russians. But, one, there may be some lucky hint, like they recognize the background and correlate it to some past video he made, and were able to get a good guess on his location. Who knows.
But also, two, who gives a fuck. The guy who will most likely die, or be imprisoned, in the next six months just asked you not to. Because he is fighting a proxy war against your enemy without your support. So do what he fucking asks. It’s his life he’s risking, so respect the precautions he wants.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Let's consider this for a moment, shall we? 

So, how about Uncle Joe calls Duda immediately, and says send over 18 of your fully-operational, fully-armed MIGS to Ukraine tomorrow, and tomorrow, I will have a squadron of American front-line fighters (and crews) sent to Poland and they will remain there until your MIGS are replaced with American planes, and your pilots are trained and operational in those aircraft.  

Joe, as commander-in-chief can make that deal tonight, can he not?  And, Uncle Joe has the street cred to pull off such a deal, unlike TFG. 

And let the shit-talkers in the GOP say "no" to that deal. 

Basically Lend-Lease, right?

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Basically Lend-Lease, right?

No, because it's a 3-way deal.  Ukraine benefits because they get desperately-needed aircraft, and they have pilots with asses that fit the seats on day 1.  Poland benefits, because they get to upgrade their obsolete MIGS into better aircraft.  The US benefits because we help Ukraine, help Poland, and help ourselves by offloading some of our older airplanes. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hey, i'm just a guy that jacks off to something other than "besthugecocks.com".  I never served, and i don't know shit about fuck.  I'm just throwing it out here for discussion. 

My main point is this:  Biden can act immediately as Commander in Chief without asking for congressional approval if he's just moving units around.  He's got a great reputation internationally, so his word is good.  And, he can challenge the GQP to say "no" after the fact, and if they do, they are committing suicide politically. 

2 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

They say hey don’t do this - he has to go do the opposite of what they request because, goddamnit nobody tells him shit and what he has to do. 

I mean, have you not seen the behavior of conservatives during COVID? Exact same thing to a tee

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1