Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My theory, distilled from Fiona Hill and others, is that he embarked on this as a pre-election "wag the dog."  He intended to stoke the fears of the Russian people of NATO and the west and make himself their savior. And to invoke the ever-popular notions of "reassembling the Rodina," and "de-nazification."

Beyond that, I don't think he had a goal or a plan if things went awry.  And they have, and I don't think anyone knows, even Putin.

So the average Ruskie does take a dump w/out having a plan?

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

An old man in Ukrainian Odessa walks into his neighborhood shop every day and picks up the paper. He scans the front page, puts it down, and heads out. After about a week, the clerk says “I really don’t mind if you want to read more, I won’t make you buy it.”

”It’s fine, I’m just looking for an obituary.”

”Obits are on the second to last page, though.”

”The one I’m looking for will be on the front page.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Two days earlier, on a state TV show 60 Minutes, journalist Andrei Sidorchik rode the concept all the way down the hill when heexclaimed: “Joe Biden is a Nazi. The U.S. Congressmen⁠—Democrat and Republican⁠—are Nazis... German Chancellor is a Nazi... EU leaders are Nazis... because their sanctions are attempting to preserve Neo-Nazism in Ukraine.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-state-tv-just-blew-up-putins-nazi-ukraine-bullshit

F7B02FF2-F81B-42C6-8933-5CFE2AA6AB7C.thumb.jpeg.e53f4d28c60db0876f8d2baa847cf052.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Everyone should read this. It’s the absolute truth. It’s the absolute, awful truth.

If you have to redefine the main term of your thesis statement to make your premise work, it’s hard for me to buy the rest of your argument 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I am growing more convinced by the day that what Putin wants is open conflict with NATO.  There are only two ways all of this makes logical sense.  The first is: he's crossing every line in Ukraine to try to force NATO to get involved.  And if NATO refrains, he's going to go ahead and attack a NATO nation and claim that it's retaliation for NATO's act of war when it armed Ukraine.  It's entirely possible that as crazy as it seems, this is all going exactly the way Putin wanted (minus Ukraine taking longer than he'd surely expected) and this was the first punch in a World War that Putin wants.

And if that is correct, it begs the question of what conversations he is having, and has already had, with the likes of China, Iran, and North Korea.

The only other option that makes any sense is that he's lost his fucking marbles.  I guess that's a better option because it likely means that Russia is on their own here, but it probably also means that a tactical nuclear explosion is coming soon to a planet near you.

There's just no fucking way this is all about the price of shipping natural gas from Russia into Europe or any other "logical" explanation.

In keeping with my prior post, I think he wants "tension" with NATO moreso than open, shooting conflict.

I don't think he actually believes in any of this Russian territorial integrity stuff, but it is useful to him to maintain power.

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Safe to post in here now? Blacklab was trying to cover up the posts from members speaking out against interracial mixing. WTF???

1. DT thread has been moving fast and I’ve missed a bunch, but I’ve thought it’s generally pretty good. Who got racist?

2. the other mods are good, but blacklab’s moderation of DT is incomprehensible. I’ve gotten 1-day suspensions multiple times for “political” posts in which I’d made serious conscious effort not to come across as partisan, meanwhile the DT posters post political shit in there all day every day with no moderation. Blacklab himself doesn’t seem Trumpy in his posts but he moderates as if trumpism is apolitical and anything that deviates from it is political. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

2. the other mods are good, but blacklab’s moderation of DT is incomprehensible. I’ve gotten 1-day suspensions multiple times for “political” posts in which I’d made serious conscious effort not to come across as partisan, meanwhile the DT posters post political shit in there all day every day with no moderation. Blacklab himself doesn’t seem Trumpy in his posts but he moderates as if trumpism is apolitical and anything that deviates from it is political. 

Exactly why I avoid DT.  I never know where the line is with the inconsistency in moderation 

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Everyone should read this. It’s the absolute truth. It’s the absolute, awful truth.

Possibly true, but there are significant differences between now and 1939. Putin doesn't have the fanatical ideological commitment of his people and military, as Hitler did. Hitler did restore some economic stability to German people during his rise and period of consolidation of power. On the other hand,  the Russian economy isn't strong enough to sustain a world war. Now, it's clear Putin doesn't care about his economy or the economic suffering of his people, but his oligarchs care about money. I'm wondering what sort of pressure they could bring. It could be zero, but we'll see. 

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In keeping with my prior post, I think he wants "tension" with NATO moreso than open, shooting conflict.

I don't think he actually believes in any of this Russian territorial integrity stuff, but it is useful to him to maintain power.

I agree.  I think he wants confrontation with NATO.  Then he can negotiate with the world.  I don’t think he wants nuclear war, and direct warfare with the west with his group of Keystone cops troops can only end very badly for him.  But he also may have slid into madness , at which point anything’s possible.

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Csb we had borscht for dinner this week. 

bought a kit at the Dallas farmers market from a Ukrainian couple. It was really good. Add your own stock and protein and simmer. 

they sell online if you’re interested. cookingborscht.com. 

Kits come in an attractive aluminum tin with hand painted lids. The small size is magnetic so you can stick it on a refrigerator or other metal surface to use as a storage container. 

From the website:

242AC393-062B-4D1E-8BA8-E276DEA1C0F4.png

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I get it, but how does frozen money affect cyberoperations?  Can't pay the neckbeards?

That, and can't boost posts on Facebook (that costs as well).

I run the Facebook accounts for our business.  We pay nothing to Facebook, for the record.  But every time I put up an informational post, which is all we use Facebook for, I get the opportunity to "boost" the post and Facebook shows me a graphic that says I can reach this many people for this amount, just pay now.  It's a racket, and to be fair, I can't blame Facebook for exploiting it for money.  The issue is, where is the money coming from?  That's what Facebook doesn't really care to find out.

Edit.  Here's Facebook's support page on post boosting.

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/347839548598012?id=352109282177656

Edit 2.  Here's how to boost (or advertise) someone else's Facebook posts.  Sure, there's additional work, but you think the likes of Dan Boingbo is going to turn down some one else on Facebook offering to pay to boost or advertise his work?

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/375950529870841?id=420299598837059

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That, and can't boost posts on Facebook (that costs as well).

I run the Facebook accounts for our business.  We pay nothing to Facebook, for the record.  But every time I put up an informational post, which is all we use Facebook for, I get the opportunity to "boost" the post and Facebook shows me a graphic that says I can reach this many people for this amount, just pay now.  It's a racket, and to be fair, I can't blame Facebook for exploiting it for money.  The issue is, where is the money coming from?  That's what Facebook doesn't really care to find out.

Edit.  Here's Facebook's support page on post boosting.

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/347839548598012?id=352109282177656

As I eschew all social media except this, I am unfamiliar with its workings.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hitler's army was an amazingly powerful machine from top to bottom. Putin's army is an embarrassment to him and his country. It's old, decrepit, barely functional and is no threat to modern war technology. The only thing the Russians have going for them is nukes, and at this point, I would expect half of them to explode on launch or fall right back into the silo. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As I eschew all social media except this, I am unfamiliar with its workings.  Thanks.

You are welcome.

When you think of post boosting, the closest thing I can think of is a payola scheme from Facebook.  Sure, Facebook will allow you to stick up a post, but to blast it out to more people than actually follow you, you have to pay up.  And this is where dark money comes in; if I get $10,000 in ad money from someplace, I can start boosting all the posts for our business to people who don't even care about our business...which might draw in more "customers".

Ben Shapiro might want to say he has an active following, but without that dark money, how many people would actually follow/share/spread his shit?

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You are welcome.

When you think of post boosting, the closest thing I can think of is a payola scheme from Facebook.  Sure, Facebook will allow you to stick up a post, but to blast it out to more people than actually follow you, you have to pay up.  And this is where dark money comes in; if I get $10,000 in ad money from someplace, I can start boosting all the posts for our business to people who don't even care about our business...which might draw in more "customers".

Ben Shapiro might want to say he has an active following, but without that dark money, how many people would actually follow/share/spread his shit?

Yeah, that's fascinating. I thought it took more effort than that, like SEO type stuff, but apparently all it takes is some money and a click.  Hell, maybe that's all SEO amounts to these days.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I get it, but how does frozen money affect cyberoperations?  Can't pay the neckbeards?

Well given that a few frequent CR posters all decided to take a vacation from February 25-March 2nd, I think it's pretty obvious that the Pogrom program had extensive connectivity, financial and strategic issues all at once. Probably a lot to do with sanctions, deplatforming and the collective withdrawal of West based company services from Russia and Ukraine. (Yes some of it is based in Ukraine)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Hitler's army was an amazingly powerful machine from top to bottom. Putin's army is an embarrassment to him and his country. It's old, decrepit, barely functional and is no threat to modern war technology. The only thing the Russians have going for them is nukes, and at this point, I would expect half of them to explode on launch or fall right back into the silo. 

But I was told by Pentagon and generals on TV they expected Ukraine to fall within days.  Seems like we made some miscalculations of our own here too. We could have done a lot more before the invasion if certain people didn’t write off Ukraine to Putin prematurely.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

But I was told by Pentagon and generals on TV they expected Ukraine to fall within days.  Seems like we made some miscalculations of our own here too. We could have done a lot more before the invasion if certain people didn’t write off Ukraine to Putin prematurely.

I think everyone overestimated how well trained and modernized the Russian ground forces are. There have been rumors swirling for years that Putin was siphoning off Russia's defense budget to enrich himself, but I don't think anyone believed it would be this extensive. They don't have basic maintenance for anything, which is why all their vehicles are failing. They don't have proper training for their troops or drivers, they don't even have supply lines funded correctly to keep troops moving and maintaining morale. This war has completely unmasked Russia's military incompetence and impotence. We don't need to fear them, the EU alone could wipe the floor with them. 

7 hours ago, F250 said:

Safe to post in here now? Blacklab was trying to cover up the posts from members speaking out against interracial mixing. WTF???

7 hours ago, F250 said:

You would think racism like that would get shamed here but it gets labeled as "political" by Blacklab.

Elaborate??