NFL suspends Calvin Ridley for 2022

Michael Knight

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The other suspensions don’t undermine the integrity of the sport. 

I’m not sure the words NFL and integrity go hand in hand. I also don’t see it that way especially when you are betting on your team not against your team. The slippery slope argument went away when they embraced gambling the way they have also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m not sure the words NFL and integrity go hand in hand. I also don’t see it that way especially when you are betting on your team not against your team. The slippery slope argument went away when they embraced gambling the way they have also.

Betting is clearly defined as against the rules of the CBA. He got a middle of the road punishment according to the CBA. He could be removed from the league completely according to said rules. Continue to argue when the rules are in black and white and agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA is dumb. He’s being made an example of to prevent going forward just as they made an example out of Pacman 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, DougO said:

The NFL went all in promoting gambling this year and cashing in on it, then bans a player for betting when he wasn't playing.

Gambling will likely be the biggest source of growth in league revenues over the next decade; even larger than the increase in broadcast fees in the latest tv rights package. Players will benefit enormously from the gambling revenue generated by the league via cap expansion. Do you really think the this is the hill the NFLPA wants to die on?

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

You find it hypocritical for an employer to require their employees to avoid conflicts of interest? I can't think of a more obvious example of a legal conflict of interest than gambling on games in a league in which you're an active player. The precedent was set over a century ago. It's the one cardinal rule across every sport.

Don't fucking bet on games in the sport in which you make a fucking living.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genco said:

Gambling will likely be the biggest source of growth in league revenues over the next decade; even larger than the increase in broadcast fees in the latest tv rights package. Players will benefit enormously from the gambling revenue generated by the league via cap expansion. Do you really think the this is the hill the NFLPA wants to die on?

You find it hypocritical for an employer to require their employees to avoid conflicts of interest? I can't think of a more obvious example of a legal conflict of interest than gambling on games in a league in which you're an active player. The precedent was set over a century ago. It's the one cardinal rule across every sport.

Apparently the players have it lenient compared to staff of teams. They’re not allowed to gamble on any sports. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Pete Rose used that argument too.  "Hey I only bet on the Reds. and not against them."  Only, he didn't bet every Reds game.  Any smart bookie can use deductive reasoning and figure out when to bet against the Reds, no? 

Remember Neuweasel?  UW fired him after he threw 20.00 at a March Madness Pool, after they told him he could do it.  He sued and won I think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Betting is clearly defined as against the rules of the CBA. He got a middle of the road punishment according to the CBA. He could be removed from the league completely according to said rules. Continue to argue when the rules are in black and white and agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA is dumb. He’s being made an example of to prevent going forward just as they made an example out of Pacman 

Who’s arguing? I stated an opinion. He clearly violated the rule, that doesn’t mean that I necessarily agree with the length of the punishment. You do, good for you. The NFL has had more black eyes and “integrity” related issues that have basically slid by in the grand scheme of shit that happens in the league. I bet the next guy makes sure he doesn’t use the equivalent of cridley@atlantafalcons.org as his login.

Edited by Brew

He’s a complete f-ing idiot. However, a year for placing bets during a week you didn’t even play is a little ridiculous. That goes double when viewed in light of other suspensions. 

Ridley has obvious inside information on who is playing, who is playing hurt, which RB or WR or QB can’t go to his left or right because of a knee or ankle.

This shit isn’t that hard. There is a reason every team and coach and agent says you don’t bet on the sport you are playing. Those of you defending him don’t understand professional sports. At all.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Remember Neuweasel?  UW fired him after he threw 20.00 at a March Madness Pool, after they told him he could do it.  He sued and won I think.

No, UW fired him to lying to his AD about interviewing with the 49ers and for lying to the NCAA during the gambling investigation.  

He sued UW and the NCAA and they settled the lawsuit because the NCAA failed to disclose relevant facts to his lawyers.  

The league has gotten more lenient on this. Not that long ago Ridley would have received a lifetime ban and had to prove his way back. Len Dawson nearly lost his ride for just being in the same room with a known gambling figure. Alex Karass and Paul Hornung had to earn their way back.

It’s why I believe Mike Vick should have received a lifetime ban. Besides all the horrible dog abuse, he was operating a complex extensive gambling operation. Would he throw a game?

And until we know If Ross actually did something, it’s innuendo from a fired employee. If the accusation proves out he should lose his franchise.
  • Hook 'Em 2

When a story like this hits, it’s fun watching people trip over themselves as they rush to social media to bleat about perceived hypocrisy.

Also has nobody brought up our boy Acho?

There were a lot of takes on yesterday’s Calvin Ridley news, but we’re not sure anyone had a worse one than FS1’s Emmanuel Acho.

In a since-deleted tweet, Acho posted a 30-second clip of Ridley game footage from last season and implied that the wide receiver, who was suspended by the NFL for the 2022 season for gambling on games, actually may have been shaving points.

“I don’t think Calvin Ridley was throwing games while on the field at all, but this video is VERY damning,” Acho captioned his tweet.

The worst Ridley take on the internet

• 5 months later...

His good run continues. 

A prosecutor on Monday announced a sprawling indictment targeting members of what she said is a violent street gang that has been targeting the Atlanta-area homes of famous athletes -- including Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley -- entertainers and others who flaunt expensive possessions on social media.

Ridley, singer Mariah Carey, Atlanta United goalkeeper Brad Guzan and Marlo Hampton of "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" all had their homes broken into, the indictment says.

The 220-count indictment was filed Aug. 22 and charges 26 people, most of whom are accused of violating Georgia's anti-gang and racketeering laws.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said the crimes alleged in the indictment -- carjacking, kidnapping, armed robbery, shootings, home invasions -- were committed by members of the Drug Rich gang, which she said began to emerge in 2016 in a neighboring county. In addition to the celebrity targets, social media influencers were also victimized in home invasions and burglaries, Willis said.

"What they do is target people who show their wealth on social media," she said. "So I do have a message for the public: Where it is kind of fun to put your things on social media and show off, unfortunately these gangs are becoming more savvy, more sophisticated in the way that they target you."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34487606/atlanta-falcons-calvin-ridley-targets-gang-related-celebrity-home-robberies-according-indictment

• 7 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 10:43 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Seems like if you’re part of the Drug Rich Gang you wouldn’t need to resort to burglary. Some people never have enough I guess

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 4/21/2023 at 5:14 PM, Kennythetiger said:
My dad still believes that Pete Rose is being screwed. 

Did he ever bet on his team to lose? Not being snarky, genuine question

When he didn’t bet on them to win, it was a signal to the bookies that he didn’t like their chances that day.