NFL suspends Calvin Ridley for 2022

Michael Knight

36 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

NFL really has their priorities straight

Of course they do. 

Beat woman... has to effect on ability of league to make money

Have players betting on games which calls into question the legitimacy of the league as a "sporting event"? Could ruin the league if left unchecked. 

• Like 1

So back in my days on the 40 acres, had a class next to PJ Tucker and LaMarcus Aldridge. So about a dozen of us would be outside the classrooms early. One day this nerdy guy asked PJ Tucker if he ever did sports betting. He shut any sort of that talk down quick, and told the guy no way because he would get in huge trouble.

And that's it. That's my cool story, bro. 

9 hours ago, futureman said:

the outcry from people that think it’s too harsh a punishment is quite entertaining. thankfully it’ll last a good long while.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

fascinating that people don’t seem to understand what it means to have an NFL player betting on NFL games. 

I'm totally ok with him being suspended for a season. I'm not ok with wife beaters and child abusers getting a lesser punishment from the league. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, futureman said:

fascinating that people don’t seem to understand what it means to have an NFL player betting on NFL games. 

Sure I do

Meh, the issue I have is that the punishment is skewed compared to other stuff the NFL has suspended players for.

"Oh but this is integrity of the game" (clutches pearls)

image.thumb.png.1e97016a21c507e027b592b91b4e6c3d.png

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm totally ok with him being suspended for a season. I'm not ok with wife beaters and child abusers getting a lesser punishment from the league. 

I'm all about suspending him for a year at least, i would think anyone involved with the NFL betting on the NFL is a lot like insider trading with the info they have access to. But you make a good point and i would like to see punishment for those infractions to be more serious as well.

A theoretical justification for going light on actual criminal offenses like domestic violence is that it is not the NFLs job to punish criminals and assess their guilt. 

While a gambling scandal probably isn't criminal at all. And the only party injured by it is the NFL. 

But that isn't the reason for any of this. 

9 hours ago, futureman said:

What if a player wanted to make 17 moneyline bets on his team to win each game of the season, the same amount for each game, and they wanted to put down all of the bets the day before training camp opened?

Edited by Ignatius