Top 5 - Bands with 3 great consecutive albums

Rip76

12 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Bee Gees: main course, children of the world, spirits havin flown (still have the original 33). Yeah I said Bee Gees. Fight me.

Oh whatever. Just list Saturday Night Fever. Stayin Alive by itself is a much bigger accomplishment than Spirits Havin Flown. Not to mention the two other mega hits.

(I do think Main Course is a really good album)

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Judas Priest

British Steel

Point of Entry

Screaming for Vengeance

I'd go with:

Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
Sin After Sin (1977)
Stained Class (1978)

However, this is really how it should be with Point of Entry being the only one that may not belong. The rest are just fantastic albums.

Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
Sin After Sin (1977)
Stained Class (1978)
Killing Machine (1978)
British Steel (1980)
Point of Entry (1981) 
Screaming for Vengeance (1982)
Defenders of the Faith (1984)

• Hook 'Em 1

a few off the top of my head...

PG: security, so, us.

sigur ros: agaetis byrjun, ( ), and takk.

pearl jam: ten, vs, vitalogy.

beatles, line them up.

miles davis: porgy and bess, kind of blue, sketches of spain...also filles de kilimanjaro, in a silent way, bitches brew.

madonna: like a virgin, true blue, like a prayer.

hans zimmer: the thin red line, gladiator, black hawk down.

police: zenyatta, ghost in the machine, synchronicity

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/21/2022 at 1:18 PM, Cheeseweasel said:

Adding to the list...

Beastie Boys: License to Ill, Paul's, Check Your Head, Ill Communication (4)

Cars: Cars, Candy-O, Panorama

Clash: Clash, Give 'em Enough Rope, London Calling

Imho- The Cars are underrated.   

Gotdam they made some great music for cruising.

You young uns missed out.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Cheap Trick:  Cheap Trick; In Color; Heaven Tonight; Dream Police.  (That's 4, but who's counting?)

I would easily throw Budokan in there between 3-4 as well, as it somehow made the material from their first 3 albums even better. And I know I'm a CT apologist but I'd say All Shook Up and One on One were also solid start to finish. But that initial 5-LP run including Budokan is unreal. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

I would easily throw Budokan in there between 3-4 as well, as it somehow made the material from their first 3 albums even better. And I know I'm a CT apologist but I'd say All Shook Up and One on One were also solid start to finish. But that initial 5-LP run including Budokan is unreal. 

Oh, definitely.  For whatever reason, I was in the mindset of consecutive studio albums when I posted above, but in re-reading the OP, there's no such limitation.  CT's first five LPs were/are fantastic.   

And while we're at it, throw in Live at Leeds in that stretch for The Who that included Tommy, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia.    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Three in a row is pretty damn difficult. 

This is the conclusion I came to when I was checking out discographies by artists like Prince, Genesis, The Cars, and ZZ Top.  It's just really hard to crank out terrific records with no missteps.

22 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Stones:  Let It Bleed; Sticky Fingers; Exile

That three record run fucks. 

*edit: Beggars Banquet makes it four. Any album that opens with Sympathy...*

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That said, while I am not much of a fan of the band, I can only assume someone could find a 3-album run by The Beach Boys that would suffice.

That's a tough one.  Summer Days (and Summer Nights!), Pet Sounds, and Smile would definitely count IMO. But the problem is that Wilson's vision for Smile wasn't released until 2011, after decades of crap releases. Smiley Smile came out after Pet Sounds, but it was only partially ready with a bunch of half-finished stuff in it. So even though the songs were written after Pet Sounds, the actual Smile album didn't come out in true form for several decades. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is the conclusion I came to when I was checking out discographies by artists like Prince, Genesis, The Cars, and ZZ Top.  It's just really hard to crank out terrific records with no missteps.

I didn't post Prince because OP said bands. Then again OP said great albums and these threads always devolve into "post 3 albums in a row from a band you like" or the equivalent.

I'm curious as to which of Dirty Mind, Controversy and 1999 you're giving the axe. Because there's been much weaker noms in here. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm curious as to which of Dirty Mind, Controversy and 1999 you're giving the axe. Because there's been much weaker noms in here. 

I'm not a huge fan of Controversy, but it's a good album for sure.  I went the other direction (1999, Purple Rain, and Around The World In a Day) and couldn't see adding the 3rd in that run, either.  I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone who pick either group, though, the guy was an absolute genius and monster musician.

*All-Time:
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The River

*Honorable Mention:
Off the Wall
Thriller
Bad

*Under-Appreciated:
Living & Dying in 3/4 Time
AIA
Havana Daydreamin
(pre-Margaritaville Buffett is so much better than most ppl realize)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

The Stranger

52nd Street

Glass Houses

My bias would throw in Turnstiles, Nylon Curtain and An Innocent Man although I’m not a huge fan of IM. 

Songs in the Attic was between Houses and Curtain and wasn’t a studio album I’m assuming OP wanted. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Hook 'Em 2

The one after the first big selling album tends to be the one that breaks up the streak, whether it's the first or later. Record company makes bank on one that was inspired and had songs they had worked on for years. And then they rush the band to crank out another one, new songs written in a shorter span, trying to reproduce the same sound that  scored, fewer songs to choose from, the yes men say "that's gold!" when it really needed more time and effort.

A really successful band with a great run stops having any doubts, starts getting high on their own farts and critics fluffing them, they feel they could belch the alphabet and it will be considered artistic genius, so they basically do. It still gets critical acclaim as the mainstream is ordered to do to keep the gravy train running, but it really isn't good. 

That's what makes the Beatles so incredible. They went through all that but still consistently produced greatness.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

Peter Gabriel:
Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel

Talk Talk:
Colour of Spring
Spirit of Eden
Laughing Stock

Todd Rundgren:
The Ballad of Todd Rundgren
Something/Anything
A Wizard, A True Star

The Cure:
The Head in the Door
Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Disintegration

Gear Daddies:
Let’s Go Scare Al
Billy’s Live Bait
Can’t Have Nothin’ Nice
(Only albums they ever recorded. Three Americana/Alt-Country gems)

Fuck it, Bruce's records are technically all solo records so what the hell?

Nebraska

BITUSA

Tunnel of Love

A home demo from a guy in the throws of almost suicidal depression followed by one of the biggest selling albums of all time followed by a professional home studio recording watching his new marriage fall apart while he exposes the hypocrisy of his own heart and the uneasiness of fitting into the world of unimaginable wealth his previous album just transported him to.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not a huge fan of Controversy, but it's a good album for sure.  I went the other direction (1999, Purple Rain, and Around The World In a Day) and couldn't see adding the 3rd in that run, either.  I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone who pick either group, though, the guy was an absolute genius and monster musician.

I think Controversy is pretty great... and like 1999 you really need to frame them in the context of being released in '81 and '82 (they were both released before Thriller was able to transform pop music, for example).

Controversy probably makes my top 10 Prince tracks and Do Me, Baby might crack my top 25. I like both of those as much as anything on 1999 (despite Little Red Corvette being the biggest hit between them) and front to back like Controversy better as well. I think its sound holds up more favorably.

Around The World In A Day has the disadvantage of being released after Purple Rain and between PR and SOTT. So outside of Raspberry Beret it gets passed over and is lost to history a bit. It holds up just fine, though. I wouldn't have any problem with anyone calling it a great album. Paisley Park and Pop Life are both brilliant.

Ultimately, nitpicking Prince seems silly while we're adding to the list rather than trying to come up with the best 5 or 10 3 album runs ever. I mean no offense but you threw out Crowded House without any reservations. I think we can probably afford Dirty Mind or Purple Rain a seat at the table 😉

What's really ridiculous is the SEVEN* album run of Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Around The World In A Day, Parade and SOTT. I don't think more than 4 or 5 artists can match that. 

Edited by ztejas
Miscounted. Yeah holy shit that's ridiculous.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Love
Electric
Sonic Temple

All three equally unique and bad ass.

Electric was 87, correct? There was a bunch of stuff that had a Zeppelin feel right then, Electric being a big one. Big riff rock and roll. Produced by Rick Rubin, who used a ton of Zeppelin riffs on Licensed to Ill. I think Rick can be heavily credited with that little mini revival Zep had in the mid to late 80's.

Queen:  A Night at the Opera; A Day at the Races; News of the World

AC/DC:  Powerage; Highway to Hell; Back in Black

Zep:  Lots of combo choices, including the first three right out of the gate, but personally I'd go with:  IV (a/k/a Runes, Zoso, etc.); Houses of the Holy; Physical Graffiti.

45 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea 87. Saw them Sep 87 at Palmer with GnR opening. Ridiculous show.

Was also around the time of these guys… maybe the most zeppelin thing ever recorded by someone other than zeppelin

I was at that Cult / GnR show too. Stood behind a filthy Axl Rose in line for drinks. Crazy to look back on that show. 

I still love Love and Electric, but Sonic Temple was a disappointment to me. It took away their gritty sleaze and produced them into mainstream airplay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, DougO said:

That's what makes the Beatles so incredible. They went through all that but still consistently produced greatness.

Agreed. Their run between With the Beatles through Let it Be is only tarnished by the orchestral b-side of the Yellow Submarine LP. Otherwise, aside from a few lame covers and misses here and there (I mean let's be honest, there's strong evidence of smelling their own farts on a few White Album tracks), their output was so damn solid. My 2022 goal is to play every guitar part (rhythm, lead, riffs, solos, whatever) on every Beatles song, in chronological order of release. I'm glad I'm doing it, because I can better understand how every release shows their growth, complexity, originality, and innovation compared to the previous ones. Chord progressions, song structures, guitar work, instrumentation, pacing -- it's really remarkable how fast they progressed and kept upping the quality. Day Tripper and A Day in the Life were written about 18 months apart, but it seems like different decades.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Yea 87. Saw them Sep 87 at Palmer with GnR opening. Ridiculous show.

Was also around the time of these guys… maybe the most zeppelin thing ever recorded by someone other than zeppelin

Until Greta Van Fleet came along.

Even Jimmy Page was offended by Kingdom Come's stealing. 

Edited by Deej