NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

Thought this was interesting: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/ea-sports-college-football-2024-players-name-image-likeness-nil-deals-holdouts/

Within the locker room of one of college football’s blue-blood programs, players have discussed what their individual name, image and likeness rights might be worth if they choose to opt into EA Sports College Football and whether the sport’s marquee players might consider holding out for more money.

In May, On3’s Pete Nakos reported that the combined compensation for players who opt into the video game is expected to be roughly $5 million. That equates to roughly $500 per player.

So, what is fair compensation for FBS players if there’s a flat rate?

“That’s a tough one,” Oklahoma quarterback General Booty told On3 at the INFLCR NIL Summit. “We’ve actually been talking about that in the locker room. So, we’ve all talked about it because we want the game to come out, obviously. But we were saying if they come out and try to lowball and say we want to give everyone $200. Well, guys maybe like, like you mentioned Caleb Williams, may say no and then he’s not in the game. Then all the USC fans – who wants to buy the game and not play with him, you know?

“And then he does it, then someone else does it and then it’s a domino effect and then it’s ruined. So, I think that’s going to be very critical to how they put it together. They are going to have to have one price, and I say like $600 to $800 would get everyone in. But some of the big guys, you know, that deserve it, that have been playing, starting for a couple of years, put up the numbers, they may have to sit down and negotiate with them because that’s going to ruin the game if they don’t have some of these star guys in there.”

I don't think the people who buy NCAA football do so for the players, but for building dynasties at their shit directional school of choice. Bowling Green was my go to.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, bar said:

Thought this was interesting: https://www.on3.com/nil/news/ea-sports-college-football-2024-players-name-image-likeness-nil-deals-holdouts/

I don't think the people who buy NCAA football do so for the players, but for building dynasties at their shit directional school of choice. Bowling Green was my go to.

I switched SMU to the air force playbook and won a few national titles 

8 hours ago, bar said:

All the players should take the money, even if they don't custom rosters will immediately fix those that don't within hours of the release.  Hell there are still people creating custom rosters today for NCAA Football 2014

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, bar said:

ULaLa for me before they actually got competitive

I always used whatever the newest FBS team was. Mid 00s it was FIU and they'd ahve like 700 wins and 40-60 losses when I was done with majority if not all the losses being  existing. 

I think I'll play with UTSA or James Madison in this new version. I hope it is cross platform as well so I can just play from my PC.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

22 hours ago, bar said:

Which is why they should have never discontinued the game.  Put in all randomly generated rosters and sales wouldn't have dropped one bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

Which is why they should have never discontinued the game.  Put in all randomly generated rosters and sales wouldn't have dropped one bit.

But because rosters were being created matching players look, height, weight, and jersey numbers is the reason that EA Sports discontinued the game. Maybe they could have not allowed roster customization, but that would have cost them sales. Since some were customizing themselves and friends for the game.

O'Bannon v. NCAA cost EA Sports a $40 Million dollar settlement to get out of that lawsuit.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

June 7th

The Future of NIL | How is TexasOneFund Viewed Nationally? Texas Football | On3

This is a really good interview. Here is an article about Lonestar NIL that is mentioned:

Lone Star NIL launches as state-wide NIL program for Texas-based athletes

Pete Nakos•06/06/23

Article written by:Pete Nakos

Pete_Nakos96

Tim Warner/Getty Images

On most college campuses, NIL collectives have become leaders in creating financial activity for athletes over the last two years. For all the attention brand deals have received in the name, image and likeness era, so many dollars spent have been funneled through the donor-led collectives.

Athletes across the state of Texas will now have a new program working to secure NIL opportunities on their behalf. The Lone Star NIL program is the first entity to focus on endorsement deals in college athletics at a state level. Run by former Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett and his athletics consulting agency Southwest Sports Partners, the hope is to drive enrollment and retention at Texas universities.

Once enrolled, regardless of in-state school choice, Texas-based athletes will be eligible to register for the Lone Star NIL program. Operating separately from institutions, the entity can focus on “developing direct relationships between student-athletes and Texas-based companies and charitable organizations.”

Another goal will be to populate the future Texas workforce, according to the program.

“While name, image and likeness opportunities have increased across the college sports landscape, most Texas student-athletes remain underserved by limited NIL options,” Burnett said in a statement. “We know many local students and parents want a better understanding of NIL, and at the same time, it’s clear that Texas businesses of all sizes could potentially benefit from getting more actively engaged in this exciting space.

“So, that’s where Lone Star NIL comes in – providing a distinctive, first-of-its-kind program with extensive NIL opportunities, vital educational efforts, and meaningful corporate and community engagement, all of which will lead to rewarding NIL outcomes across the state.”

Expansive Texas NIL collective landscape

Texas arguably has one of the most expansive and striking groups of NIL collectives in the country. There are more than a dozen active NIL collectives in the Lone Star State, headlined by the Texas One Fund at Texas and The 12th Man+ Fund at Texas A&M. Yet, there are a handful of other wildly successful collectives in Texas, including Houston’s LinkingCoogs, TCU’s The Flying T Club, SMU’s Pony Sports DTX and Boulevard Collective and Texas Tech’s Dark Horse Collaborative and The Matador Club. There are even multiple collectives at UTSA, such as Runners Rising and 210 Inspired.

How Lone Star NIL could play a meaningful role is unknown. Along with its formation, the entity announced it was “pursuing business, education and technology partnerships” ahead of the 2023 academic year.

Collectives have become crucial ways for schools to keep talent on rosters and attract talented recruits. Lone Star NIL believes it can create meaningful dollars through social media activations, personal appearances, athletic camps and autograph sessions at a local and statewide level. The website currently does not accept donations, however, athletes can participate in community service through the venture.

More power could soon be given to schools and collectives in the state of Texas. House Bill 2804 has been sent to Gov. Greg Abbott‘s desk. The legislation would provide cover for state schools from being punished by the NCAA for any NIL-related violations, including any committed by collectives that have been set up to support student-athletes through deal facilitation.

This includes Texas A&M. The Aggies received a lot of attention after the 12th Man+ Fund launched at Texas A&M in February. The bill allows for the ability for third-party 501(c)(3) organizations, independent of athletic departments, to provide NIL compensation to athletes and provide priority status or other perks to donors. A&M and Arkansas are believed to be the first schools whose booster organization also is directly fundraising for NIL opportunities for student-athletes.

11 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

But because rosters were being created matching players look, height, weight, and jersey numbers is the reason that EA Sports discontinued the game. Maybe they could have not allowed roster customization, but that would have cost them sales. Since some were customizing themselves and friends for the game.

O'Bannon v. NCAA cost EA Sports a $40 Million dollar settlement to get out of that lawsuit.

No.  They discontinued it because even though there were no names, 90% of the players were the correct height,  weight, number, and skin color of their real life counterparts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/6/2023 at 10:57 PM, bar said:

Bowling Green was my go to.

Weird. Same. Josh Harris was fun to play with. The early-mid aughts were the golden age of MACtion with Urban Meyer coaching BGSU, and Byron Leftwich, Bruce Gradkowski, Joe Staley, Rapelisberger, Antonio Gates, and James Harrison blowing up teenagers.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I assume this is for collectives that are saying it can be written off that don’t have full IRS approval? 

The suggestion is that the IRS is likely rethinking such status. 

Nonprofit collectives are likely to stop offering tax-deductible donations, but one college athletic director believes the IRS could do more. It could conceivably tax the previous donations made and potentially even charge the donors and the collective with penalties.

12 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Good luck suing anyone for being “illegal” when the IRS itself approved the application we wrote. They’ll have to change the laws. That will take time. And I’d really only be worried about collectives that don’t actually have their kids doing charitable work, which isn’t us. 

Good Luck.Morgan Freeman

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good luck suing anyone for being “illegal” when the IRS itself approved the application we wrote. They’ll have to change the laws. That will take time. And I’d really only be worried about collectives that don’t actually have their kids doing charitable work, which isn’t us. 

Good Luck.Morgan Freeman

Yeah I'm not sure how they will go about enforcing this especially if you have the approved application. Once again, I think this is pertaining to collectives who do not have that approval that are trying to pass it off as tax deductible and the donors of such places are trying to write them off.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah I'm not sure how they will go about enforcing this especially if you have the approved application. Once again, I think this is pertaining to collectives who do not have that approval that are trying to pass it off as tax deductible and the donors of such places are trying to write them off.

Getting approved as a 501c3 is just filling out an application, following the rules off a charitable organization is still required.

On 6/10/2023 at 3:32 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Which I believe Texas One Fund does  

Without question, to the exact letter

On 6/10/2023 at 7:34 PM, TexasRenegade said:

I'm sure they do. I was just referring to collectives in general and the ability of the irs to go after them.  Just because their app is approved isn't some get out of jail free card.

Correct, aggy still exists and will aggy the hell out of this. Only takes one glance at the instagrams of the collectives to know whos doing what

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I didn't see it posted yet but the new Texas NIL law was signed by Abbott. It goes into effect July 1st.
 https://www.on3.com/nil/news/texas-gov-greg-abbott-signs-transformative-nil-bill-ncaa/

Bobby/Eric talking about it on the State of the Program just released two hours ago(time stamped). @closetojumping @RGBIII @SydneyCarton What are your thoughts about it going forward?

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signs transformative NIL bill

Jeremy Crabtree•06/10/23

Article written by:Jeremy Crabtree

jeremycrabtree

Add Texas to the list of states that have signed sweeping NIL reform on the local level aimed directly at bypassing oversight by the NCAA.

House Bill 2804 was passed in the Texas Senate after previously flying through the Texas House in late April. The bill was sent back to the House for a few minor changes in mid-May. And finally, the bill was signed by Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday. It becomes law on July 1.

Political observers in the Lone Star State projected Abbott to sign the bill all along, especially since Texas, Texas A&M and other state school officials played a major role in shaping the legislation. Members of both parties also supported the bill.

“Since we passed our law two years ago, the college landscape on this issue continues to evolve,” Rep. Brandon Creighton while discussing the legislation. “And as a result, Texas must ensure that its name, image and likeness law remains competitive with other states.”

The signing comes on the heels of NCAA President Charlie Baker and college sports leaders lobbying lawmakers on Capitol Hill this week for a federal NIL bill.

Lawmakers in Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Montana, New York and Oklahoma have sponsored or passed bills in recent weeks to prevent the NCAA from launching investigations into NIL activities. Plus, NIL entities in Arkansas and Texas have opened the door for compensation models that have a closer connection to the school which is against the NCAA’s policy.

Baker appeared to have no patience for states acting against the NCAA.

“They say screw the NCAA,” Baker said. “Screw the conference. Screw their rules.”

NIL reform in Texas could be ‘tipping point’

National experts believe the Lone Star State’s move could be a watershed moment for NIL on the state level.

Yes, other states have passed NIL reform, including earlier this week in New York. But this is Texas – where everything is bigger, including the drive to see the Aggies and Longhorns succeed at the highest levels of college football.

“It could signal a tipping point,” John Holden, an associate professor at Oklahoma State that specializes in the rights of student-athletes, recently told On3. “Anytime Texas, California or Florida do something in college sports, other states are going to start making moves. No one is going to want to be left out.”

What’s in the new Texas NIL law?

The revised Texas legislation includes a number of provisions that are school and student-athlete friendly. But the most notable change appears to provide cover for state schools from being punished by the NCAA for any NIL-related violations, including any committed by collectives that have been set up to support student-athletes through deal facilitation.

According to the legislation: “An athletic association, an athletic conference, or any other group or organization with authority over an intercollegiate athletic program at an institution to which this section applies may not enforce a contract term, a rule, a regulation, a standard, or any other requirement that prohibits the institution from participating in intercollegiate athletics or otherwise penalizes the institution or the institution’s intercollegiate athletic program for performing, participating in, or allowing an activity required or authorized by this section.”

Texas arguably has one of the most expansive and striking groups of NIL collectives in the country. Collectives have become crucial ways for schools to keep talent on rosters and attract talented recruits. 

There are more than a dozen active NIL collectives in the Lone Star State, headlined by the Texas One Fund at Texas and The 12th Man+ Fund at Texas A&M. Yet, there are a handful of other wildly successful collectives in Texas, including Houston’s LinkingCoogs, TCU’s The Flying T Club, SMU’s Pony Sports DTX and Boulevard Collective and Texas Tech’s Dark Horse Collaborative and The Matador Club. There are even three collectives at UTSA, such as Runners Rising, 210 Inspired and City Fans 210.

Bill opens door for booster groups to fund NIL

Additionally, the legislation allows a college to establish agreements with a third-party entity to facilitate NIL activities on its behalf.

This part of the bill received a lot of attention after the 12th Man+ Fund launched at Texas A&M in February. The bill technically allows for the ability for third-party 501(c)(3) organizations, independent of athletic departments, to provide NIL compensation to athletes and provide priority status or other perks to donors. However, on Friday the IRS warned that NIL collectives could soon no longer be deemed public charities.

What the IRS memo means for the 12th Man+ Fund is unknown. Because the fund also raises dollars for facilities and other Texas A&M initiatives, it could argue it is acting as a nonprofit.

A&M and Arkansas are believed to be the first schools whose booster organization also is directly fundraising for NIL opportunities for student-athletes. Other schools in the SEC footprint, especially in Missouri and Oklahoma, are also aggressively pursuing similar organizations.

What will the NCAA’s reaction be?

While on Capitol Hill this week, Baker made it clear the NCAA has a list of wants in a Congressional bill: a registry of NIL deals, a certification process for agents and a uniform NIL standard.

Skip Ad

For years, the NCAA has been lobbying Congress for antitrust exemption. That push has come around again in the last two years. With the patchwork of state laws in place across the country, the governing body believes the only way to enforce its policies is with the power to supersede NIL laws.

More than the legal issues laws create, Baker seemed annoyed states were making efforts to keep the NCAA from entering its borders. He had no problem calling out the previous NCAA regime for putting him in this position.

“When you have 30 states with different standards and different rules and different laws around NIL, and very few conferences that don’t cross multiple state lines, the whole questions about how you create a competitively-level playing field, which between and among teams in different conferences, skip the question about across the country, gets enormously complicated,” he said this week. “I think it was a big mistake for the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity. I think there were too many people in college sports that thought no rules would work well for them. And what everyone has discovered is no rules, no transparency, no accountability, no framework doesn’t work well for anybody. That’s one of the reasons why I think it’s possible Congress may be interested in doing something about this.”

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Who in their right mind ever thought donations to an organization that pays college athletes would be tax deductible???

I men, when the players in question are doing exclusively charitable works? Also the people who got initial IRS approval and have been operating as such for almost 2 years now, before the IRS changed their minds? 

The good news here is that it makes the community of Austin that much more valuable for NIL for Texas. It always was valuable, but the advantage of Austin (and Los Angeles) becomes more stark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I men, when the players in question are doing exclusively charitable works? Also the people who got initial IRS approval and have been operating as such for almost 2 years now, before the IRS changed their minds? 

The good news here is that it makes the community of Austin that much more valuable for NIL for Texas. It always was valuable, but the advantage of Austin (and Los Angeles) becomes more stark. 

I'm interested what the congress will come up with for NIL. Sounds like they're just going to be a mouth piece for what the NCAA wants. IRS trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube seems stupid.

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm interested what the congress will come up with for NIL. Sounds like they're just going to be a mouth piece for what the NCAA wants. IRS trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube seems stupid.

They can't put the toothpaste back into the bottle. They know that. They can federally try to enforce this rule, and with all the new IRS agents, MAYBE they have the resources to do it. They'd have to really launch some kind of task force looking at the different collectives. And even if they do that, and everyone complies, it just lowers the amount of money that each school will get. Falling tides move the contribution amounts down, equally, Texas is still at an advantageous position. Yawn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I didn't see it posted yet but the new Texas NIL law was signed by Abbott. It goes into effect July 1st.
 https://www.on3.com/nil/news/texas-gov-greg-abbott-signs-transformative-nil-bill-ncaa/

Bobby/Eric talking about it on the State of the Program just released two hours ago(time stamped). @closetojumping @RGBIII @SydneyCarton What are your thoughts about it going forward?

Means my job gets easier. Loyalty points are here

• Hook 'Em 4