NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Is it dead because of lack of money or potential legal troubles (or some more hilarious reason)

While the state laws implemented in Texas give us and A&M carte blanche to basically do what we want without fear of legal reprisal (unless federal laws are enacted), the SEC threw a fucking shit fit about the loyalty points as an inherent advantage it puts Texas schools over the rest of the SEC. They voiced their displeasure quite loudly. Texas decided not to press forward with the loyatly points program for NIL at the time (a couple or few months ago) but A&M had announced their foundation when it was literally still illegal in the state of Texas (before the last legistlative session). 

When the SEC started complaining, Texas listened, and A&M, always the truly respectful and considerate conference partner they absultely never are but accuse Texas of being, told everyone to fuck off they would do what they want. 

It appears they seem to have found religion on that point. And while I have zero inside knowledge, in my head I imagine the last couple weeks of realignment bingo certainly would have offered a wonderful opportunity for the SEC to say "you can get in line, or you can find a new home in the PAC 4."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

One man's perspective.

Capture.PNG

My takeaway from this is Joe Cook isn't very bright. But Toadvine isn't all that wrong. Of course, on the other hand, that IRS statement would apply equally to any NIL collective, regardless of school affiliation. So that threat still exists, regardless of whether the fund is associated with the University or not, to my understanding.

Which makes me think it's something else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course, on the other hand, that IRS statement would apply equally to any NIL collective, regardless of school affiliation. So that threat still exists, regardless of whether the fund is associated with the University or not, to my understanding.

Which makes me think it's something else. 

That's what I'm curious about here.  The Aggy press release mentions the IRS memo.  Not the NCAA memo.  So it's unclear if this is really tied to the loyalty points component, related to the fact that A&M set up their collective directly via the 12th man (i.e., as if Longhorn Foundation was running the Texas One Fund under its corporate umbrella) or if this could be related to the 501(c)(3) collective model generally.  I just hope Aggy's brazen disregard for anything didn't raise enough concerns that they are going to fuck it up for us/others trying to do it the right way.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's what I'm curious about here.  The Aggy press release mentions the IRS memo.  Not the NCAA memo.  So it's unclear if this is really tied to the loyalty points component, related to the fact that A&M set up their collective directly via the 12th man (i.e., as if Longhorn Foundation was running the Texas One Fund under its corporate umbrella) or if this could be related to the 501(c)(3) collective model generally.  I just hope Aggy's brazen disregard for anything didn't raise enough concerns that they are going to fuck it up for us/others trying to do it the right way.

Either way, no more loyalty points. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

They cited the IRS memo because that saves face. It makes it look like all collectives should reconsider. In reality, there are safe harbor provisions for giving to a 501(c)3 that protect prior donations and the entity. If a collective deems that it can no longer function as a non-profit, there's no need to shut it down. It's not like anything illegal transpired. Remove the designation and continue the work.

Had they come out and blamed the NCAA, it's a specific stain on them, that they were told was bullshit and to stop in the first place. They then piss off the NCAA and look like bitches to everyone else. 

So aggie does what aggie does - worry about perception and lie in an effort to preserve how other groups view them. No one in college sports is more concerned or confused about their appearance to the rest of the landscape than those coelenterates.

This all makes perfect sense and I can't believe it wasn't my initial reaction knowing aggy like we do.

This warrants more discussion from people who know what the hell they're talking about

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

FWIW, as someone studying public administration and policy, I think the best way forward with NIL is through interstate compacts or uniform state laws. Interstate compacts are the most legally binding form of cooperation between states. It's basically a contract between states in which they agree to work together on an issue. It be a common set of laws that each state must follow or the compact forms a governing body (agency or commission) that governs the issue between the states. The states cannot unilaterally decide to leave the compact. Uniform state laws allow states to opt in to a set of uniform standards. 

A compact would be ideal but it might be too hard to bring a state like Missouri on board. The dynamics around inducements are different in states with a single university compared to those that have competing interests for recruits. 

Is it possible to establish a governing body through an existing entity? Say...the SEC? Other than facilitating the contractual obligations of member states, are there any restrictions on other activities they participate in? or regulate?

At initial glance, this strikes me as the most legitimate and probable replacement for the NCAA at the P5 level. That said, I don't know shit about fuck, so...

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This warrants more discussion from people who know what the hell they're talking about

Is it possible to establish a governing body through an existing entity? Say...the SEC? Other than facilitating the contractual obligations of member states, are there any restrictions on other activities they participate in? or regulate?

At initial glance, this strikes me as the most legitimate and probable replacement for the NCAA at the P5 level. That said, I don't know shit about fuck, so...

I definitely like the idea but like Bodacious Bevo said there is a massive imbalance between states with essentially one school (MU, LSU) and states like TX that have uncooperative schools (aggies), I legitimately envision a scenario where UT starts winning again and aggies start sandbagging on legislation.

Plus isn't the lege out until 2025?

Edited by linux

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The problem with a compact, imo, is that it essentially requires states where the issue is more important or where more resources can be brought to bear to give up those advantages. It’s asking them to shackle themselves without necessarily the kind of upside that might be present in a more typical trade scenario. That seems pretty unlikely short of the entire sport — and this is mostly about football pretty much everywhere — being at risk.

I agree it's unlikely. It's just what I think would be the best way forward. At least each state would be equally represented in the governing body so maybe that could help with consensus-building. In my dream world, some of the SEC states like Texas, Alabama, and Florida come together for it and then start politicking smaller states like Missouri and Arkansas into joining. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I have no idea about existing entities. The NCAA and conferences will only ever be able to govern around player eligibility and school participation (e.g., bowl bans, scholarships) in NCAA or conference events. And I have no idea where their authority actually falls for NIL.

I don't think the end goal should be to replace the NCAA. It could happen with a conglomerate of the conferences, CFP, and March Madness (if the last two are even separate from the NCAA) but then there would still need to be other organizations that step up to handle the national championships for other sports. And it would also mean the conferences would start having to do a lot of stuff they don't currently. At least based on my understanding of how all these organizations operate. 

BBC has an article on NIL (no idea why Sparty is in the banner) but they mention the NIL deal Texas collective has for the o-line, and other UT references as well; disappointed there is no mention of the Tight Ends deal from a collective of online degenerates

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/66713731

A University of Texas group, Texas One, provides $50,000 a season to every offensive lineman on the Longhorn team - in exchange for a handful of charity appearances. 

Thirty-five million tuned in to the 2006 national championship game between two undefeated college powers at the time, the University of Southern California and the University of Texas - a game the Longhorns won with a dramatic last-ditch touchdown.

2 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I was able to find a promo code online for free shipping and 15% off. let me see if I can dig it up. My first couple shirts arrive this afternoon and will report back on fit.  I'm right in between a Large and XL and went with XL. @MontereyMXmuthafucka

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 1