NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

Maybe I don't understand this at a high level, but isn't that letter horse shit? Can't the SEC just basically tell the NCAA to fuck off and take their ball and go make another athletic governing body. Obviously that would be an extreme. But with Texas and OU in the boat now it seems possible.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Maybe I don't understand this at a high level, but isn't that letter horse shit? Can't the SEC just basically tell the NCAA to fuck off and take their ball and go make another athletic governing body. Obviously that would be an extreme. But with Texas and OU in the boat now it seems possible.

That’s the idea. But the interesting question now is whether the soon to be financial have nots in the SEC like Alabama, or Miss St, etc, might want to strip Texas of its financial power. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s the idea. But the interesting question now is whether the soon to be financial have nots in the SEC like Alabama, or Miss St, etc, might not want to strip Texas of its financial power. 

Of course they would.  Willingness to break the rules was their competitive advantage.

Where to draw the line could prove very tricky for NCAA with enforcing a ban on donor perks related to collective donations. RGBIII could obviously give a more informed answer, but I'm fairly certain that the TOF is essentially a normal 501c3 that happens to have contractual relationships with athletes among its expenses, when you get down to it. Does NCAA think it can ban perks for donors to charities? Good luck drawing that line. How much business transacted with athletes, under which conditions, at what remove? They can try to close the barn doors, but the horse is out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Seems like a direct shot at A&M (and maybe Texas One fund...?)

More aggy than TOF but we will just use aggy as a meat shield

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

That's great. Is it a decal or a piece of plastic that actually has some depth or raised relief or whatever you want to call that. Looks very slick.

It’s real metal that’s raised with a sticker on the back of it. It’s real nice

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Where to draw the line could prove very tricky for NCAA with enforcing a ban on donor perks related to collective donations. RGBIII could obviously give a more informed answer, but I'm fairly certain that the TOF is essentially a normal 501c3 that happens to have contractual relationships with athletes among its expenses, when you get down to it. Does NCAA think it can ban perks for donors to charities? Good luck drawing that line. How much business transacted with athletes, under which conditions, at what remove? They can try to close the barn doors, but the horse is out.

You said it dead on basically. They are trying to put toothpaste back in the tube

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, NoName said:

the photoshopped jerseys they are wearing are breaking my brain

Ya that's aannoying still

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just be thankful the school was finally like okay you can use orange and etc now. Can they use Texas or Horns in their branding deals now as well @RGBIII?

Kind of yes and no. Obviously the burnt orange is good in our promo materials. As long as things are cleared, its not an issue

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/25/2023 at 8:01 AM, closetojumping said:

Nothing is ironed out yet, but yes, there's a very strong push around activating NIL within the standard LHF donor set via significant additional benefits. 

There is a lot of positive momentum around TOF right now, which will impact every sports and specifically, football. The passing of the bill in the state legislature will only help.

i got a really cool piece of car bling outta my donations, so feeling pretty awesome about that

• Hook 'Em 2

Joe Cook: Texas assessing how to "navigate the conflicting aspects of NCAA NIL policy and HB 2804"

It was no secret Texas HB 2804 and NCAA rules and regulations were in conflict when it comes to NIL. Battle lines were set to be drawn on July 1, the date the bill goes into effect, and Lone Star State schools, booster clubs, and NIL collectives would have to determine which side they were going to choose.

The NCAA prohibits institutions from providing special benefits to boosters for donating to NIL collectives, and says member schools must adhere to its rules regardless of what their state laws permit. HB 2804, signed by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on June 10, opened the door for booster club loyalty points to be linked to with donations to collectives and shielded intercollegiate athletic programs from punishment from organizations like the NCAA for following the state of Texas legislation.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said in a June 16 edition of the Forty Acres Insider that the state law “allowed for Longhorn Foundation donors to receive loyalty points for contributions made to the Texas One Fund after July 1, 2023, when the law goes into effect” and “additional detailed information regarding this opportunity will be forthcoming.” Additional detailed information is here.

Del Conte sent a letter to donors on June 29, acknowledging the NCAA memo, saying Texas is “currently assessing all information to determine how Texas Athletics will navigate the conflicting aspects of NCAA NIL policy and HB 2804.”

image-36.png

Loyalty points determine priority for season ticket selection, seat upgrades, Red River Shootout and road tickets, plus postseason events. They are amassed through donations to the Longhorn Foundation, the official fundraising arm of Texas athletics. While the possibility to link loyalty points to donations to NIL collectives, in UT’s case the Texas One Fund, was an option, it’s not a road Del Conte and the Texas athletic department chose to go down at this time.

Del Conte also spoke to the tax exempt status of donations to collectives. The Texas One Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization, but the Internal Revenue Service recently released a memo that explains in many cases, the tax exempt status is “not appropriate.” He encouraged donors to consult a tax professional regarding the deductibility of donations to the Texas One Fund.

The Texas One Fund was formed in November of 2022 when five separate UT athletics related collectives merged in order to “maximize community impact and be the preferred NIL fundraising collective for Texas student-athletes.” The Texas One Fund was recently ranked as the No. 4 most ambitious collective entering Year 3 of the NIL era by On3. Texas One Fund executive director Patrick “Wheels” Smith spoke with On3’s Pete Nakos on June 19 about how positive the effect of the state law could be for Texas, Austin, donors, and student-athletes.

“It’s just another great asset for us,” Smith told Nakos. “Not only are we doing good things in the community. Not only are we helping our student-athletes, we’re also giving donors the benefit which is a game changer. As of now, it’s still a tax-deductible donation. The ability for them to get a tax deduction and loyalty points is a really good thing.” For now, that plan is on hold as Texas looks to sus out which side of the battle it wants to be on.

I got that email yesterday as well.  CDC needs to grow a pair.  No doubt Aggy isn't backing down.  The NCAA is toothless and Texas taking that position would be helpful for all but of course we pucker up.    The sooner the NCAA dies the better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I got that email yesterday as well.  CDC needs to grow a pair.  No doubt Aggy isn't backing down.  The NCAA is toothless and Texas taking that position would be helpful for all but of course we pucker up.    The sooner the NCAA dies the better.

There’s no reason to double finger the ncaa here. We’re doing fine. Let Aggy take the first shot. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There’s no reason to double finger the ncaa here. We’re doing fine. Let Aggy take the first shot. 

Are you suggesting we use the sheep fuckers as cannon fodder, the way that Wagner and the Russian MOD used criminals and mobiks?

Because if so, I totally agree with you.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't get me wrong.  That's the pragmatic, conservative and well-reasoned approach and no doubt the advice we are getting from counsel.  Just once though I would love for Texas to act like Texas and tell the NCAA to fuck off.  Texas drawing that line in the sand, (with the Governor's backing) would probably be the beginning of the end for the NCAA which would be a good thing.  Even though Aggy doesn't move the needle from an intimidation standpoint, I would still bet a large sum the NCAA doesn't do a damn thing to them.

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Are you suggesting we use the sheep fuckers as cannon fodder, the way that Wagner and the Russian MOD used criminals and mobiks?

Because if so, I totally agree with you.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Don't get me wrong.  That's the pragmatic, conservative and well-reasoned approach and no doubt the advice we are getting from counsel.  Just once though I would love for Texas to act like Texas and tell the NCAA to fuck off.  Texas drawing that line in the sand, (with the Governor's backing) would probably be the beginning of the end for the NCAA which would be a good thing.  Even though Aggy doesn't move the needle from an intimidation standpoint, I would still bet a large sum the NCAA doesn't do a damn thing to them.

A&M accnounced their reward program before the Texas law took effect, hell before the law was even announced in session. It was illegal when they did it, and the NCAA heard about it from everyone. You'll be shocked to hear this, but those rubes but a bullseye on their back from the beginning. They can carry the water on this one. If the NCAA does nothing, well, Texas has kept a catalog of rewards they can give to donors at a later date. If the NCAA does do something, those dipshits get punished, and the NCAA wins regardsless. If they rescind rewards, we all laugh at them.

When you're enemy is making a mistake, don't interreupt them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The bigger issue, and more foreboding to me, is that the SEC is whining at Texas and ATM about it. That's coming straight from Alabama and Saban, who very much want NIL to go completely away so they can keep their oligopoly on the bag game as a competitive advantage.

This part is what I was thinking as well.  Texas had an opportunity to make a huge statement (backed by Texas law) and challenge the NCAA on this.  CDC's official (conservative) response is par for the course for Texas historically.  But getting some pressure from Sankey makes sense.  You are right - the battle with the elite "poors" of the world (i.e. Saban/Bama) is going to be interesting.  Texas needs to be aggressive.  This probably wasn't the right time to make a move against the NCAA/SEC and probably wise to let A&M take the heat for the time being but the time is coming. 

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I said it in the NIL section but I'll say it again here. It comes off as weak. I think he could have came off better if he was going to send a letter out but the wording of this, knowing our fragile older fan base, could potentially scare off contributions. You don't have to double finger the NCAA and say "do something about it" but you also don't have to release a letter like that.

This is paraphrased Bobby's thoughts:

Basically the state makes the laws and the state funds the University of Texas so state law > NCAA. Courts don't agree with NCAA and that NCAA has been told by p5 conferences to stfu about trying to regulate.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I asked the question, and I'll ask it here, rhetorically, I guess, but what is Texas going to do when they get pressure not to pay players a certain dollar amount in NIL because it's more than the fucking poors at Bama, LSU, and Auburn can afford?

I think Texas should do and act accordingly to what will make Texas great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.a1593dedd252f6d5aa1e522b0716c286.png

What the poster you quoted is referencing. I said it in the NIL section but I'll say it again here. It comes off as weak. I think he could have came off better if he was going to send a letter out but the wording of this, knowing our fragile older fan base, could potentially scare off contributions.

Why are you quoting me? Do you think I didn’t receive one of these myself? 

I don’t give a fuck about looking weak to a bunch of message board users. This isn’t Purim’s Russia or fucking Game of Thrones. I care about being smart. The older fucks aren’t contributing as they should regardless. Those people look for excuses and will always find one. 

His press release has zero outcome on what we actually do moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why are you quoting me? Do you think I didn’t receive one of these myself? 

I don’t give a fuck about looking weak to a bunch of message board users. This isn’t Purim’s Russia or fucking Game of Thrones. I care about being smart. The older fucks aren’t contributing as they should regardless. Those people look for excuses and will always find one. 

His press release has zero outcome on what we actually do moving forward. 

It's my opinion that the way he worded that press release could dissuade some people who are on the fence about donating. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The bigger issue, and more foreboding to me, is that the SEC is whining at Texas and ATM about it. That's coming straight from Alabama and Saban, who very much want NIL to go completely away so they can keep their oligopoly on the bag game as a competitive advantage.

I asked the question, and I'll ask it here, rhetorically, I guess, but what is Texas going to do when they get pressure not to pay players a certain dollar amount in NIL because it's more than the fucking poors at Bama, LSU, and Auburn can afford?

Fuck this conference a thousand different ways and fuck all of the hillbilly fans who have been enabling and cheering the cheating for decades who suddenly now have religion once Texas' base decided that it would show the landscape what meeting a payroll actually looks like. 

What the fuck are they going to do about it?

When it was all bags, if you broke the market, Saban or Kirby or whomever could start digging up the dirt while protecting their own programs.

Now that it's NIL? If it's all legal and accounted for, what the fuck can they do about it if our players are earning more NIL? Cry to the NCAA? Ask Sankey to tell the refs to not call games fairly? Fuck em.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Now that it's NIL? If it's all legal and accounted for, what the fuck can they do about it if our players are earning more NIL? Cry to the NCAA? Ask Sankey to tell the refs to not call games fairly? Fuck em.

Yep. Bama outright bought players for years. Now that others with deeper pockets do the same thing, all they can do is cry to the NCAA.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ah yes, the predicted “oh by the way, we’ve been handling this above board” maneuver once they went back in arrears and crafted a source for the bags dropped in the 2022 class. They’re such shitheads. 

Someone is going to be getting an unexpected tax bill from the IRS. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Texas athletes have earned over $15.5 million in NIL deals (On3)

Spoiler

Texas athletes have earned over $15.5 million in NIL deals

Pete Nakosabout 2 hours
Article written by:On3 imagePete Nakos

Pete_Nakos96

Texas Bijan Robinson/Twitter

NIL data remains hard to come by, even into the third year of college athletics’ new era. A recently released set shows a glimpse of how much athletes have earned at one of the country’s largest athletic departments.

Texas athletes have earned more than $15.5 million in NIL earnings since the inception of NIL in July 2021, according to a public records obtained by the Austin Business Journal. Longhorn athletes disclosed 2,980 NIL partnerships to the school, representing 15 different sports.

Football and men’s basketball were distinctly the top earners, though. According to the data, the two sports combined to profit over $13.5 million from NIL deals as of June 30. In a time where there is no NIL database and pinning down exact numbers can be difficult, the numbers add some real context to the dollars being earned and spent off endorsement deals.

For comparison, Texas A&M athletes disclosed roughly $12.7 million through June 11, according to FOIA records obtained by The Eagle. The Aggies disclosed $8,547,477.96 from NIL deals from Aug. 1, 2022, to June 11, 2023. According to the Bryan, Texas, newspaper, male athletes more than doubled their revenue in Year 2 of NIL, profiting $8,412,816.96.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed a transformative NIL bill last month, which included an amendment preventing the disclosure of deal data. It’s not the first state to take protective steps. Louisiana put similar measures in its updated state law last June.

Texas athletics filled with NIL stars

Texas has had some of the biggest names in the NIL Era. Former running back Bijan Robinson had contracts with Athletic Brewing, C4 Energy, Leaf Trading Cards, Raising Cane’s and Rhoback. He drove around Austin with a Lamborghini, courtesy of an NIL deal with Lamborghini Austin. The No. 8 pick in April’s NFL draft also launched his own brand, Bijan Mustardson.

Meanwhile, Quinn Ewers has been one of the defining names in NIL. He enrolled at Ohio State a year early to land a deal with GT Sports Marketing worth $1.4 million because the state of Texas does not allow high school players to be compensated off NIL. His first move in NIL was with Holy Beverages and Hope Squad.

Represented by Sportstars and Rubicon, the Texas quarterback signed at least six endorsement deals last season. He launched a partnership with Metabillia to create digital collectibles for fans which was worth seven figures, per ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

He is hosting an event later this month, with adult tickets available for $283.84 and VIP group tickets for four attendees at $2,312.21. Fans who can’t attend can purchase an autographed jersey, which they’ll receive in the mail for $209.92, Proceeds from the event will benefit Merging Vets and Players.

Freshman quarterback Arch Manning could be an NIL star in the future, too. With a $2.8 million On3 NIL Valuation, he’s not expected to sign an endorsement deal until he is the Longhorns’ starter. Receiver Xavier Worthy has worked with names like Sonic and Fortnite and is valued with at a $1.1 million On3 NIL Valuation.

Texas men’s track runner Sam Hurley has found plenty of success through NIL partnerships, signing with notable brands like Jimmy Dean and Polo. He has nearly five million social media followers.

19 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Texas athletes have earned over $15.5 million in NIL deals (On3)

Reveal hidden contents

Texas athletes have earned over $15.5 million in NIL deals

Pete Nakosabout 2 hours
Article written by:On3 imagePete Nakos

Pete_Nakos96

Texas Bijan Robinson/Twitter

NIL data remains hard to come by, even into the third year of college athletics’ new era. A recently released set shows a glimpse of how much athletes have earned at one of the country’s largest athletic departments.

Texas athletes have earned more than $15.5 million in NIL earnings since the inception of NIL in July 2021, according to a public records obtained by the Austin Business Journal. Longhorn athletes disclosed 2,980 NIL partnerships to the school, representing 15 different sports.

Football and men’s basketball were distinctly the top earners, though. According to the data, the two sports combined to profit over $13.5 million from NIL deals as of June 30. In a time where there is no NIL database and pinning down exact numbers can be difficult, the numbers add some real context to the dollars being earned and spent off endorsement deals.

For comparison, Texas A&M athletes disclosed roughly $12.7 million through June 11, according to FOIA records obtained by The Eagle. The Aggies disclosed $8,547,477.96 from NIL deals from Aug. 1, 2022, to June 11, 2023. According to the Bryan, Texas, newspaper, male athletes more than doubled their revenue in Year 2 of NIL, profiting $8,412,816.96.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed a transformative NIL bill last month, which included an amendment preventing the disclosure of deal data. It’s not the first state to take protective steps. Louisiana put similar measures in its updated state law last June.

Texas athletics filled with NIL stars

Texas has had some of the biggest names in the NIL Era. Former running back Bijan Robinson had contracts with Athletic Brewing, C4 Energy, Leaf Trading Cards, Raising Cane’s and Rhoback. He drove around Austin with a Lamborghini, courtesy of an NIL deal with Lamborghini Austin. The No. 8 pick in April’s NFL draft also launched his own brand, Bijan Mustardson.

Meanwhile, Quinn Ewers has been one of the defining names in NIL. He enrolled at Ohio State a year early to land a deal with GT Sports Marketing worth $1.4 million because the state of Texas does not allow high school players to be compensated off NIL. His first move in NIL was with Holy Beverages and Hope Squad.

Represented by Sportstars and Rubicon, the Texas quarterback signed at least six endorsement deals last season. He launched a partnership with Metabillia to create digital collectibles for fans which was worth seven figures, per ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

He is hosting an event later this month, with adult tickets available for $283.84 and VIP group tickets for four attendees at $2,312.21. Fans who can’t attend can purchase an autographed jersey, which they’ll receive in the mail for $209.92, Proceeds from the event will benefit Merging Vets and Players.

Freshman quarterback Arch Manning could be an NIL star in the future, too. With a $2.8 million On3 NIL Valuation, he’s not expected to sign an endorsement deal until he is the Longhorns’ starter. Receiver Xavier Worthy has worked with names like Sonic and Fortnite and is valued with at a $1.1 million On3 NIL Valuation.

Texas men’s track runner Sam Hurley has found plenty of success through NIL partnerships, signing with notable brands like Jimmy Dean and Polo. He has nearly five million social media followers.

Ya, I am going to take the over on good authority lol

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1