Texas @ Texas Tech Series Thread

ztejas

18 minutes ago, petscii said:

I think Nixon had a tell like that before, it'll never fucking happen again.  It's fine.

This.  

That moment will be burned into his soul for eternity.  

He may fall apart in other ways, but he ain’t doin’ that again.

• Like 1

This team doesn’t have the bullpen depth that last years team did, but I will remind everyone that baseball is marathon. Our conference schedule is front loaded. We play Tech and TCU in 2 of our first 3 series. Even if we get swept I will not press the panic button. If you remember, Tech should have swept us last year in Austin and it took a frantic Sunday comeback to salvage the series. Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia and Baylor are awful this year and we get OSU (and TCU) in Austin. OU is a borderline postseason team. We will be able to stack a lot of wins in the middle and latter part of our conference schedule.

1 through 9 this offense is actually probably slightly better than last years, but pitching wins in the postseason so along with everyone else, I’ll be praying we can get a few arms to step up.

Onward.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jeez man I pump as much sunshine as anyone but we're now 5-4 in our last 9 and just totally blew our first conference game. Not exactly brimming with confidence that these guys are going to waltz to a conference title and Omaha. 

I mean it is what it is man. At times last year things looked shitty as well. We will either figure it out or we won't. I can certainly see a version of this season turning out well but tons of work to do.

I know it is not what we were hoping for going into the season. Some guys just aren't getting it done.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Hit me tonight that I think we took Ty for granted a bit too. 

Maybe we took the entire staff for granted because there’s not a ton to be desired when looking at this years staff as a whole. 

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hit me tonight that I think we took Ty for granted a bit too. 

I didn't take Ty for granted at all but thought Witt could give us at least 80-90% of Ty.   welp...

still think we host a regional which means a good chance of getting to a super.  Pierce got some work to do and some guys are really going to need to step up.

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean it is what it is man. At times last year things looked shitty as well. We will either figure it out or we won't. I can certainly see a version of this season turning out well but tons of work to do.

I know it is not what we were hoping for going into the season. Some guys just aren't getting it done.

Indeed some aren’t getting it done, especially out of the pen. Gordon would be our Tuesday guy but Witts injury has shown us the guys we all were expecting to step forward and become bigger players out of the pen are struggling big time. Southard has great stuff but no consistency with control. Sthele and Cobb have been OK as whole thus far(I would have picked Sthele over Southard tonight). Ekhardt is looking like our Tuesday guy for the moment but he might have been viable option out of the pen. Dre is hit or miss, maybe coming out of the pen will provide better results? Not looking like it. Luke, Stewart, and Johnson are young and unproven with Luke looking the most promising. Then you have the guy that shall not be named but rhymes with flair. The rest that I’m missing haven’t done much either. 

I do think that the Witt injury has hurt them mentally with guys pressing too hard at times but right now it is what it is. Witts injury is long and gone and guys need to suck it up and throw strikes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Hodo too. Can't have him and EK going 1-10 and expect to do much. 

Yes, absolutely.  This throwback trend where we seem to want to lead the nation in watching strike 3 go by with bats on shoulders needs to go the way of the Dodo ASAP.

Please CDC leave this conference ASAP. Ever since aggy leaked the news, each of these freeloading school’s teams in every sport have an even larger personal vendetta against Texas and our mentally weak men’s teams can’t handle these road trips. 

2 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Please CDC leave this conference ASAP. Ever since aggy leaked the news, each of these freeloading school’s teams in every sport have an even larger personal vendetta against Texas and our mentally weak men’s teams can’t handle these road trips. 

We won every road series we played last season. 

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

This.  

That moment will be burned into his soul for eternity.  

He may fall apart in other ways, but he ain’t doin’ that again.

Exactly!! I hate we lost but Im 99% sure that won’t happen to Nixon again. . 

you rather that happen now then in the tourney 

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Silas is a guy who needs to turn it around at the plate.  Dude is in a monumental funk right now.

‘When he gets back in the groove it’ll be like, uh, really cool man.

And Daly and whoever we decide is DHing that day.
There’s a fine line between making a pitcher work and letting him get away with fucking batting practice. That fucking kills me more than the base running and the fuck up out of the bullpen Pierce let’s pitch for tax purposes or some shit every year. For the love of god be more aggressive at the plate. 

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Exactly!! I hate we lost but Im 99% sure that won’t happen to Nixon again. . 

you rather that happen now then in the tourney 

Kudos to Tadlock for catching it.  He may have done us a solid using it.  I'd love to know when he picked up on it and how the FUCK we did not?

What a pussay

15 base runners to 6? We hit more homers. How do you lose that?

In my opinion, Pierces biggest drawback is that he’s too rigid in the use of his depth. There are some benefits to that. But it’s difficult for guys with few chances to produce. But in baseball almost all hitters go through dry spells so letting a Messinger play through it shows how that can benefit. I’d ride his hitting streak and bump him to #5. It’s a killer to have an 0-5 behind two guys getting on 8 of 10 times.

For two years he’s had Ardoin too high in the lineup but his production has never been great. He also plays a ton of catcher, which likely limits his offensive production over the long term.

Outside of two guys, we don’t have great hitters. In those cases, I prefer riding a hot hand.

Faltine is killing it so far. 

He’s doing pretty well. To this point, I wouldn’t call him a great hitter but more along the lines of riding that hot hand. 33 Ks in 86 ABs is awful though. On the flip side, .326 average and 13 XBHs is productive.

If he’s swinging it well, I wouldn’t be opposed to having him in that #5 slot. That’s a bit of my thought on the rest of the lineup - adjust them based on how they’re performing currently. I think they have some ability but haven’t shown total consistency or have a flaw that limits confidence. But we’re not really any different than others in that regard.

40 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He’s doing pretty well.

No - he isn't doing pretty well - he's fucking crushing it. Do you know how many qualified hitters finished above an 1.000 OPS last season on this team? The answer is one - and that was Melendez with a 1.041. So yeah - I'd say Trey hitting .326 with what would have been a team leading 1.067 OPS last season is having a nice start. I don't give a shit how much he's striking out. He has 7 homers in 24 starts and is slugging .651. There is nothing awful about that.

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, petscii said:

Kudos to Tadlock for catching it.  He may have done us a solid using it.  I'd love to know when he picked up on it and how the FUCK we did not?

Tadlock's  postgame comments.    Moreland did not ask Pierce to comment postgame on radio,  normal positive rah rah. 

"Once we got to two outs, we've got communication that if we got in a position we need to do it, we're going to do it," Tech coach Tim Tadlock said. "Kurt made it happen. No doubt about it. Kurt's initial lead allowed him to do it. The baseball player Kurt is allowed him to do it."

Asked if the Red Raiders believed from advance scouting they could steal home on Nixon or if they became aware of it during the game, Tadlock said, "I would tell you that I thought we could steal home on their lefthander (starter Pete Hansen). He goes out of the windup a lot.

"(Against) Nixon, I really thought we could steal second and third more so than home, but if you can steal second and third easily, you can probably steal home, too. So I guess it all just kind of added up."

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/baseball/2022/03/26/college-baseball-texas-tech-beats-ut-wilson-steals-home-10th-inning/7163902001/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

It's fine. It is not like the SEC fans are known for being warm and cuddly. They will piss us off as well.

I never expect respectful golf clapping from the other fans. This isn't little league.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

It's fine. It is not like the SEC fans are known for being warm and cuddly. They will piss us off as well.

And we are just going to play Texas Tech/Baylor/TCU in February because going out west is too terrible...

• Hook 'Em 1