2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If only we had signed Bryant as a bench player !!!

is that bat better then Brantley / Siri / Chas ?

The list of guys who are better hitters than SIRI at the MLB level is at least as long and distinguished as my Johnson. Chas lives in Dusty’s doghouse and is a slightly above average bat, Yuli has been below average, Brantley is old with a bum shoulder and now people are talking about Yordan going under the knife for a procedure that’s notorious for sapping power for 6 plus months (though it’s only a 6-8 week recovery time). 
This team could definitely use a bat. With Yordan and Brantley out we are above average offensively at 2B, SS, 3B, RF and CF and below average at C, DH, LF, 1B. Having one more guy who can thump would be welcome for sure. 
Walk year bats aren’t particularly expensive. Trade a pack of chewing gum for Nelson Cruz or offer up 2 40 value prospects and a lotto ticket for Josh Bell. Worst case scenario you are talking about platoon partners and high quality pinch hitters in the playoffs, and that’s not at all a bad thing. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

do whatever needs to get done with yordan and have him back the first week of sept.  give him 3 weeks to get his timing back and we're fine.  would've been cool to see a bigger season of stats and mvp run but we're not about that right now.  get healthy for october, the division race is over.

next man up (bregs, yuli, etc).  time to get your shit right.

and yes, we need another bat - mancini, bell, benintendi, not sure what the whole list looks like but anyone who can dh and maybe play a little in left would help.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

do whatever needs to get done with yordan and have him back the first week of sept.  give him 3 weeks to get his timing back and we're fine.  would've been cool to see a bigger season of stats and mvp run but we're not about that right now.  get healthy for october, the division race is over.

and yes, we need another bat - mancini, bell, benintendi, not sure what the whole list looks like but anyone who can dh and maybe play a little in left would help.

Should be the cheapest option, and therefore the best. 

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

This is the correct approach. I've been in favor of going after Mancini for a while now. Given Brantley's injury, I think Beninendi makes a lot of sense too. 

Mancini (apparently) can play in the OF (though he’s mostly played 1B this season) which probably makes him a little more desirable than Bell. Offensively they’re similar, but I prefer Bell (higher BB%, lower K%).

I wouldn’t be that excited about Cruz, would definitely prefer more position versatility.

I like Benintendi…in that I’d feel better with him in there than Chas or Siri…

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

My fear is that Astros will fuck around and delay surgery, hoping his hand will get better without the knife. Then in August go oops and Yordan misses the playoffs. It’s happened before. 

If you're referring to Verlander with Tommy john surgery wasn't it his choice to delay and hope it heals?

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Baltimore or Royals are going to ask for Brown. IMO 

Baltimore is making a push for a wild card spot too 

I assume the rise of Baltimore and Cleveland and overall tightening of other division races has cut into the number of teams looking to dump their better bats for decent prospects. That said, most of the teams scrambling to get/stay above .500 need rotation arms badly. This makes a guy like Odo pretty attractive for the stretch run. Hopefully another great start by him will get those trade wheels turning and maximize our return. 

42 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Well everyone is gonna ask, but they know that ain't happening for fucking Trey Mancini or Douchebag Benintendi.

I mean Soto maybe

Every year people talk about bats in a walk yesr and what will they go for and every year it’s like “yawn”.  It’s actually the best argument against signing big ticket FA. You can get a bat cheap. 

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

clubs hovering around .500 might be feeling good about themselves, but they know they’re not going anywhere. you think the o’s beat nyy or hou if they hold onto mancini?

They can’t  trade players and upset their dozens of season tickets holders. 

20 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I’m hoping White Sox will take a nose dive the rest of the month and Abreu might become available. Putting him 1st and DH in October wouldn’t suck. Sox are 10th in standings but still only like 3 out of wildcard. That new wildcard is a real wildcard for trade talks.

seems like a lot of smoke around the white sox these days.  if they don't get it together soon i feel like they're going to tear it down to the studs.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would love to get Andujar, but the Yankees would never trade him to us. We'd almost certainly need a 3rd team to facilitate that deal, but he would solve 2 problems. Gives us an extra bat who happens to hate the Yankees as much as we do, provides a 1B/LF alternative for next season, as neither Brantley nor Gurriel should be seriously considered to be given another contract.

Edited by HtownHorn

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I would love to get Andujar, but the Yankees would never trade him to us. We'd almost certainly need a 3rd team to facilitate that deal, but he would solve 2 problems. Gives us an extra bat who happens to hate the Yankees as much as we do, provides a 1B/LF alternative for next season, as neither Brantley nor Gurriel should be seriously considered to be given another contract.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/02/miguel-andujar-called-up-by-yankees-mum-on-trade-request/

yankees are dumb, dump him for a back end BP arm or prospect

‘No further damage, it was caught in time. Hoping to be back for the Yankees series. Won’t be rushed back. Just want to get it right. It’s been an issue for a month.’

brantley starts swinging today. Hopefully back after all star break 

told the team to step up and be ready to things differently to score runs 

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/what-s-on-matt-s-mind/content/2022-07-12-dusty-baker-provides-the-latest-update-on-yordan-alvarez-more-on-790/

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3