2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Well then don't start 2 pitchers that struggle to get through 5 innings consistently, then you don't have to burn your bullpen during the double header. Poor Bielak deserved better than Dusty Baker today.

Only 2 pitchers on our staff average 6+ innings.

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It worked out. That's what matters most.

Bielak should have been done after the 8th.

But feel free to disagree.

I will say I didn't see anyone complain about Bielak coming out for the ninth in this thread (maybe I missed it). It's easy to complain after the plan doesn't work.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

By now, the NY media should just be building out the shell of these covers ahead of our games, so they can just fill in the hilarious pic and latest Boone rant on the fly. 

3226D315-5A43-42B0-8A36-33DF149B9817.thumb.jpeg.222d57f37200450886d8674529c5d63a.jpeg

Hm, But I read they had so much fight and something something aggy moral victory.

48 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It will be tougher when they have 600 or 700 million tied up in Cole and Judge.

If they could trade both of them for Ohtani before the deadline, they'd save a little pocket change and would still have their slugger and an ace starter while freeing up a roster spot. Cole and Judge get back to Cali (where maybe the latter would re-sign) and the Yanks still have a monster draw at the gate. But no way does that deal happen, obviously. 

58 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It will be tougher when they have 600 or 700 million tied up in Cole and Judge.

$324 + $425mil, at least. They’re the most valuable franchise and loT OF YES money. Their bigger concern should be putting a roster together around judge and Stanton. remember these are the same people that thought trading for gallo was a great idea !

13 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Some of you dipshits just can't help yourselves when it comes to hating on Dusty Baker.

Can we at least agree that pinch hitting Alvarez with first base open in Game 1 of the doubleheader was less than an ideal decision? In a single move Baker took the bats out of the hands of both a good contact hitter and the Astros' best hitter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Gourmand said:

You wanted Mushinski to pitch in that situation over Bielak and Montero, who had already been up and warming in both games?

Some of you dipshits just can't help yourselves when it comes to hating on Dusty Baker.

We had a 5-run lead and a tired pitcher that was about to face the lineup a 2nd time. We also had Martinez and Abreu on a week of rest. You also have Verlander and Valdez going in the Seattle series. He had a plethora of better options than letting Bielak go back out there. As we have come to see, it blew up in his face. As far as pitching Mushinski, why the fuck did you call him up if you are afraid to give him the ball with a 5-run lead needing 3 outs.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We had a 5-run lead and a tired pitcher that was about to face the lineup a 2nd time. We also had Martinez and Abreu on a week of rest. You also have Verlander and Valdez going in the Seattle series. He had a plethora of better options than letting Bielak go back out there. As we have come to see, it blew up in his face. As far as pitching Mushinski, why the fuck did you call him up if you are afraid to give him the ball with a 5-run lead needing 3 outs.

I’ll take a guess that bielak came off the mound after the 8th and said - I’m good coach, let me finish it out. That’s what hungry pitchers do. 5 run lead, lot of games in a row coming up, easy ‘yes’ 

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Excellent breakdown of Yordan's AB hen he took German deep

Damn that was a beautiful swing !

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't see anything wrong with letting him start the 9th.  They called up Mushinski in case Javier or Garcia got hammered and had to be pulled after an inning or 3.

And because, ya know, Pressly went on paternity leave and someone had to take his place. His left-handedness helped get that call as well.

The Astros play 19 games in 18 days, Bielak went 3.1 IP and threw 70+ pitches with the lead, struck out both Judge and Stanton (twice) only to throw his worst pitch of his outing to Judge on a 2-1 hitters count and....the Astros still had a two run lead. 

Hardly blew up in Dusty's face considering the room for error with Montero ready in case of fire.... Stros got the W and DH sweep without using either Martinez or Abreu. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2

This was already mentioned upthread, but the Astros winning both those games to get back to a 10-gm lead in the AL West is just funny af when the Mariners fans are making this series their everything. You know they didn't think it was possible for the Astros to improve their division lead with the mighty Yankees coming to town for two. 

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This was already mentioned upthread, but the Astros winning both those games to get back to a 10-gm lead in the AL West is just funny af when the Mariners fans are making this series their everything. You know they didn't think it was possible for the Astros to improve their division lead with the mighty Yankees coming to town for two. 

the Yankees were 2 spring training games for the second half. The grind starts tonight 

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Judge and Stanton, one bad pitch and they just kill you. No lead is safe with them at bat 

Well I mean a 12-run lead would be pretty safe. Let's work on that next time.

Also damn I love Alvarez's swing. Just silky smooth power. It's just beautiful to watch someone swing with that much power but be under that much control the whole time.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also damn I love Alvarez's swing. Just silky smooth power. It's just beautiful to watch someone swing with that much power but be under that much control the whole time.

Add elite plate discipline to that and the Astros landed a steal at $125M over the next 6 years. 

6 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yes please

Bell achieves that production with a combination of strong plate discipline and far better bat-to-ball skills than one might expect from a burly 6’4″, 255-pound slugger. He’s walked at an impressive 11.2% clip over that stretch of 902 trips to the plate and struck out in just 15.2% of them (including just 13.5% this season). Bell makes consistently strong contact (45.5% hard-hit rate, 91.1 mph average exit velocity), and although he puts the ball on the ground more than is ideal for someone with his power (51.3% ground-ball rate), he’s adept at spraying line drives. Also, while only 28.2% of Bell’s batted balls during this run have been classified as fly-balls, more than one in five of those flies (20.5%) has left the yard.

thats an organizational fit 

• Hook 'Em 1