2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

ESPN's post draft writeup.

Spoiler

(1/28) 11. Drew Gilbert, CF, Tennessee (45+ FV)
(2/64) 26. Jacob Melton, CF, Oregon State (45 FV)
(4/133) 93. Trey Dombroski. LHP, Monmouth (40 FV)
(11/343) 126. Ryan Clifford, RF, Pro5 Academy HS (NC) (40 FV)
(2/80) 137. Andrew Taylor, RHP, Central Michigan (40 FV)
(3/103) 174. Michael Knorr, RHP, Coastal Carolina (35+ FV)
(7/223) 246. A.J. Blubaugh, RHP, Milwaukee (35+ FV)
(8/253) 292. Tyler Guilfoil, RHP, Kentucky (35+ FV)
(12/373) HM. Zach Dezenzo, SS, Ohio State
(16/493) HM. Tim Borden, SS, Georgia Tech
(18/553) HM. Isaiah Jackson, CF, Cienega HS (AZ)

Gilbert is the guy with the biggest gap between consensus industry ranking and my ranking, so you can click over to my report on the top 300 to see why I'm so bullish on the Brett Gardner/Adam Eaton type skill set here. Melton had late momentum into the late first/comp but lasted until the late second, so I'm assuming there's an over-slot deal here. His swing load is a bit funky, but there's center-field tools with some power. Dombroski is a mid-major pitchability lefty who works 88-91 mph but his above-average slider and command mean he's a high-probability big leaguer of some sort. Taylor is a classic Cleveland-style strike thrower with solid-average stuff that could explode with improved arm speed. Knorr gave me Patrick Weigel vibes as a mid-90s power arm with four pitches that probably fit best a couple innings at a time.

Clifford has long been one of the better hit/power combos in the prep class but comes with limited defensive value and is older than many of his peers. Blubaugh is a small school arm who popped on the Cape, showing a 92-95 mph heater with bat-missing shape and an above-average changeup. Guilfoil is a later-blooming SEC reliever with ordinary raw stuff but an invisible fastball. Dezenzo has real contact issues but at least plus power and a shot to stay in the field. Borden also is older and has swing-and-miss concerns, but there's pop and hands for the infield. Jackson is a big 6-foot-3 corner type with plus raw power from the left side and a plus arm, but chases too much.

Edited by HtownHorn

54 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This would obviously never happen in real life, but Baseball Trade Values accepted this:

Astros get:

Soto, Bell, Corbin

Nationals get:

Garcia, Brown, McCormick, Meyers, Diaz, Leon

Look- Washington might get better offers than that, but the team is on the block, that clears out all their salary except for Strausburg, and that’s 2 competent OF that make nothing, a competent starting pitcher that makes nothing, 1 high end prospect, 2 decent prospects that will definitely be MLB players. 
If I was Washington and that was the only deal offered I would absolutely do it. 
I assume by Diaz you mean the catching prospect and not Aledmys. 

I’m going to make the argument that Whitley should be untouchable. I mean that only b/c he won’t have any value other than fodder and throw in, and you might as well ride his value down to zero if that’s what happens as opposed to trading him for 3 cents on the dollar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- Washington might get better offers than that, but the team is on the block, that clears out all their salary except for Strausburg, and that’s 2 competent OF that make nothing, a competent starting pitcher that makes nothing, 1 high end prospect, 2 decent prospects that will definitely be MLB players. 
If I was Washington and that was the only deal offered I would absolutely do it. 
I assume by Diaz you mean the catching prospect and not Aledmys. 

Correct

I feel like these 12 games after the All Star break are the most important of the season. Playing the team with the best record in the AL in a double header and then 7 out of 10 against the second place team in the division.  A group of important games at an important point in the season. I doubt management or the players look at it like that, or at least they would say they don't. To me these games tell you really where you are as a team. We're off to a great start beating the Yankees twice.

As far as the trade stuff goes, obviously we're getting pretty weak production from the 1B and CF spots. I hate to see Yuli's decline, if that is what this is.  I do recall that he lost a lot of weight from last season and was supposedly in better physical condition.  That's a big change and maybe not a good one for his power. Regardless, he's not getting it done.  As far as who to trade, we seem to have a lot of guys who are not in the starting lineup every day or they are back end starters who would be upgrades on most teams.  It's those guys who seem ideal to trade since they are not the core of the team now and don't figure to be the core of the team in the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I hate to see Yuli's decline, if that is what this is.  I do recall that he lost a lot of weight from last season and was supposedly in better physical condition.  That's a big change and maybe not a good one for his power. 

Pizza and soda was clearly a key part of a 49 year old Cuban’s diet

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It was rock solid last year.  I wonder what's causing the problem because it's been going on for months.  Is MLB fucking with them or have they gotten too popular and don't have the infrastructure to handle the increased demand?

The latter. At some point the former will happen but then it will just go dark not be intermittent

Yep.  Fuck MLB network.  Tried to do it right this season with 7 day trial and intent to pay, but Astros are subject to blackout rules in Amarillo-  600 fucking miles away with ZERO access to local telecasts.

So damned stupid...( and frustrating)

If they used the same logic for someone in NewJersey they'd be locked out of everything from Detroit and DC to the northeast.

Edited by slorch

I signed up for fubo too when mlb66 started having problems.  I'll cancel it when the season is over.  I'll happily sign for MLB.tv if they ever remove the blackout restrictions.  It worked great before the vpn sites started causing problems with other streaming services.

Just now, kevwun said:

I would bet there aren't many fanbases that have it worse than Astros fans because AT&T controls their rights and refuses to sign agreements with almost all of the tv providers because they also own Direct TV.

LA is a mess. You can’t watch the nuggets on TV. I think our situation isn’t in the bottom 20% of sports teams. 

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

they don't have directv in Amarillo?

yeah, but I'm not on DirecTV.  I'm not changing my cable/ internet subscription either.  That shithole organization lost me as a subscriber years ago.  If that's the rationale behind MLB's stance, then doubly fuck them in the ass.

They should make it available on our Bally channels available on cable if they are going to prevent every other reasonable avenue to consume their product.  Every Rangers game is on.  That part makes sense.   No fucking Astros though...

Regardless of the cable/ stellite situation, I cannot even watch the games by paying directly through MLB.com.  

Edited by slorch

Aside from finding a stream, not sure how I'd ever see more than the random national Astros game here in the Georgia mountains, whether home or away. Someone enlighten me if there's a simple and inexpensive option I'm overlooking. Not saying I've made any huge effort to find one. 

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Aside from finding a stream, not sure how I'd ever see more than the random national Astros game here in the Georgia mountains, whether home or away. Someone enlighten me if there's a simple and inexpensive option I'm overlooking. Not saying I've made any huge effort to find one. 

Not a long term solution but tonight’s game is on mlb network 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, WBT said:

AT&TSW pays a lot of money for exclusive carriage in market and I guess your cable operator doesn't want to pay to carry it.  Take it up with them.

Nope.

Fuck MLB.  We are not in the Houston market.  Period.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:
Lance McCullers Jr. struck out three and allowed one run on three hits in 2.0 IP tonight for the Hooks against the Missions.
It was his first appearance of the season in a pro game after suffering an arm injury in last year’s ALDS.

Thanks

the results obviously don’t matter but I’m anxious to see velo and pitch mix. 

46 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

MLB.tv for the Astros is $75 for rest of season. Full MLB for $95 (sans Braves I’d you’re in the Georgia mountains).