2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The best move the organization made was going to the 6 man rotation. Just a really smart decision given where the talent is in this pitching staff.

also montero's performance has been like we signed some big name reliever in the offseason.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

The best move the organization made was going to the 6 man rotation. Just a really smart decision given where the talent is in this pitching staff.

Yeah I agree BUT.....does JV? I would hate for him to opt out because he wants to pitch in a five-man rotation. It's working for now but that could be something worth watching. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

also montero's performance has been like we signed some big name reliever in the offseason.

I won't swing my average dick around like I called that shot, but I will say that I was very high on him coming into this season from what I saw of him last year before he got hurt and the reports about Astros pitching gurus working with him and being high on his stuff. 

34 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yeah I agree BUT.....does JV? I would hate for him to opt out because he wants to pitch in a five-man rotation. It's working for now but that could be something worth watching. 

they wouldn’t do it without his ok, I’m guessing 

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

If I’m JV,this was my idea. Especially this year of all years 

34, 33, 33, 34, 34 his # of starts in the 5 seasons before 2020. Add 5, 3, and 6 postseason starts 2017-2019.

I’m sure he’d love a season of ~27 regular season starts. Tell me where I can find a job to work ~17% less and still get paid the same 

6 hours ago, Gourmand said:

There's virtually no chance the staff goes through the season without injury. Seems like some pitchers' arms these days are delicate little instruments of finely blown glass...or they strain an oblique from taking off their pregame jacket/ shirt.

He's still gonna get his. Just tell him pitchers are people too, and Dusty worked out a way to give his pitchers an extra day off.

Edited by slorch

Will they revert to a 5 man rotation once this stretch of 33 in 34 days ends?  After the Guardian series, they have an off-day every week but 2 through  mid-September. That decision will be further complicated by the return of LMJ at some point. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

6-man rotation is irrelevant to JV’s long-term calculus, no need to worry about his perception.

If he finishes the season injury-free and top 3 in CY voting (which appears to be a certainty if his health stays intact) then he’s opting out regardless.

What I love most about the decision is giving Javier the chance to shine and solidifying his “piggy-back” combo with Urquidy as the playoff ace-in-the-hole…takes so much pressure off the LMJ rehab situation as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Will they revert to a 5 man rotation once this stretch of 33 in 34 days ends?  After the Guardian series, they have an off-day every week but 2 through  mid-September. That decision will be further complicated by the return of LMJ at some point. 

I thought this was always the plan. Is it not?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

If you’ve got a six man rotation and it’s working (key point), why would you voluntarily revert to a five man rotation?   If you are a contender, having fresher arms in October is invaluable.  

Because, with weekly off days, that would mean 7 days between starts, sometimes 8.  That might too much to stay sharp. And the odd man out would strengthen your bullpen. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Because, with weekly off days, that would mean 7 days between starts, sometimes 8.  That might too much to stay sharp. And the odd man out would strengthen your bullpen. 

You’ve answered it yourself. We aren’t going to have 6 pitchers put up the kinds of numbers they have since this started for the full season. 
someone will either get hurt or someone will start sucking ass and they’ll go back to 5.

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Another 1st and 2nd no outs equaling 0 runs. It's almost to the point where a sac bunt should be mandatory in that situation.

bloomer just brought it up with espada. he said dusty talks about it with the guys in the locker room. tells them to be prepared when they need to manufactor a run, look for the signals 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It wouldn’t hurt if Diaz went from absolute suck back to above average. Today is a good start. 

When he's been healthy he's been an above average hitter and defender. There is nothing wrong with Diaz being on this team. You just don't need Goodrum and Diaz on the team together. I guess when Jones is finally healthy, he takes Goodrum's spot on the 26, and Niko gets DFA'd. Dusty loves him some Taylor, though the spot should be given to Matijevic to see if he can play at all, given Gurriel's age and contract status.

• Hook 'Em 2