NBA Playoffs 2022

Vic Mackey

The Pels entire offense is either Ingram or McCollom going one on one or the rare Valanciunas post up or him putting back garbage. It's not exactly the beautiful game, but both of those dudes can light it up. With a healthy Zion (as if there were such a thing), that team is a motherfucker.

And they have some really nice young players. The three rookies have been great for them -- Murphy and Jones look like hits and Alvarado gives me JJ Barea PTSD. Not to mention guys like Kira Lewis and Hayes and Nance. Plus they have crazy draft picks and swaps coming their way from the Anthony Davis and Jrue Holliday trades. That's a team with a pretty scary future. Also, how the fuck is Brandon Ingram only 24 years old? Was he 16 when he came into the league?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Boston v Brooklyn tonight at 6 CST on TNT. This is the best first round series of the playoffs, but I'll be watching it on delay, cause my kids don't go to sleep until 8.  Hoping the Nets can tie it up, because I want this series to go to 7 games, it would be epic. 

So, I did this watching Spieth win the golf tournament and right as I was  getting ready to flip over and watch the 4th quarter I got a stupid ESPN push app showing me Boston won at the end. Thanks assholes. 
be careful for spoilers out there. 

58 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Pels entire offense is either Ingram or McCollom going one on one or the rare Valanciunas post up or him putting back garbage. It's not exactly the beautiful game, but both of those dudes can light it up. With a healthy Zion (as if there were such a thing), that team is a motherfucker.

And they have some really nice young players. The three rookies have been great for them -- Murphy and Jones look like hits and Alvarado gives me JJ Barea PTSD. Not to mention guys like Kira Lewis and Hayes and Nance. Plus they have crazy draft picks and swaps coming their way from the Anthony Davis and Jrue Holliday trades. That's a team with a pretty scary future. Also, how the fuck is Brandon Ingram only 24 years old? Was he 16 when he came into the league?

Yeah he was super young. It was a thing everyone kept talking about in draft and his first year or two. 
Tatum as well. 

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Really bright future for the Pelicans with all of the pitiful Lakers firsts for the next 4 or 5 years.

I wonder what they could get player wise for those picks. They have a good enough core, imo, that they should be considering established talent over draft capital trying to get to the nba finals.

Do you think they have enough draft capital from the Lakers picks to get Anthony Davis maybe? 

Maybe a hybrid strategy and trade Zion for draft capital and the picks for existing talent. 

That situation is super interesting. If their market didn’t suck you might say they had the most interesting/upside organization in the league. 

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If Phoenix can't beat the New Orleans Pelicans without him, they aren't going to win the title anyway.

This times a million. 

Ayton needs to step up and not play like a 12 year old in an adult pick up game.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Booker out games 3 and 4…well phoenixs chances went down the tubes with it being a hamstring

They should STILL beat NO without Booker.  Maybe even before he comes back at all.  If he's healthy in the 2nd round after sitting, they'll probably be fine.

If I was New Orleans, I would be looking to trade Zion stat.  Somebody will overpay for him as he has too much upside and marketability.  But IMO, he will never be a consistent elite NBA player given his weight and durability.  And even if he stays injury free, he is likely to bolt out of NO at the first opportunity.

I would trade him for someone like Rudy Gobert + picks & assets.  Gobert is 4th in the NBA in WS and 8th in PER, and is a 3-time DPoY. The dude wins, but is unpopular and feuding with the face of the franchise.  You could go Zion + S. Adams  + trash for Gobert + picks.  Utah might do it to team up Mitchell and Zion. But New Orleans would come out on the winning side. Sabonis might be another one to target.

Or go a different direction and trade him for a young guard with upside.  Could they get Cade Cunningham, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Tyrese Haliburton for Zion? 

I wouldn't trade the picks though.  For a small market team that isn't a free agent destination, you HAVE to keep the picks. 

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

You could go Zion + S. Adams  + trash for Gobert + picks. 

Adams plays for the Grizzlies.

23 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Could they get Cade Cunningham

0% chance. Cade is a top 5 untradable asset in the league. 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

If I was New Orleans, I would be looking to trade Zion stat.  Somebody will overpay for him as he has too much upside and marketability.  But IMO, he will never be a consistent elite NBA player given his weight and durability.  And even if he stays injury free, he is likely to bolt out of NO at the first opportunity.

I would trade him for someone like Rudy Gobert + picks & assets.  Gobert is 4th in the NBA in WS and 8th in PER, and is a 3-time DPoY. The dude wins, but is unpopular and feuding with the face of the franchise.  You could go Zion + S. Adams  + trash for Gobert + picks.  Utah might do it to team up Mitchell and Zion. But New Orleans would come out on the winning side. Sabonis might be another one to target.

Or go a different direction and trade him for a young guard with upside.  Could they get Cade Cunningham, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Tyrese Haliburton for Zion? 

I wouldn't trade the picks though.  For a small market team that isn't a free agent destination, you HAVE to keep the picks. 

I like the Rudy deal, that makes sense. Determining Zions value is so hard. He’s probably the highest Beta player in the league. 

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

0% chance. Cade is a top 5 untradable asset in the league. 

I don't know about the implication that he's among the 5 most important franchise cornerstones in the league, but the overall point that there exists a better chance I will stumble upon a wormhole, go back in time to 1997, and fulfill my dream of getting double teamed by prime Liv Tyler and Heather Graham than there is that Detroit is going to trade Cade for anything.

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Boston is putting in a Herculean effort on KD. Forcing the role guys to beat them but right now the role guys are beating them. 

They just decided to foul him and hold him constantly and see if the refs will call it. They did finally just called one. We will see how it goes

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

They just decided to foul him and hold him constantly and see if the refs will call it. They did finally just called one. We will see how it goes

They've called a couple more this game than last game. This game has been decently officiated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Game 3 must win now. No idea what's up with Durant. Seems checked out. 

I will not be surprised when the nets win both home games comfortably. I assume that constantly body blows to Durant will be called differently in Brooklyn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I will not be surprised when the nets win both home games comfortably. I assume that constantly body blows to Durant will be called differently in Brooklyn. 

We'll see. He's been bad tonight regardless of contact. Durant has won series like this in the past. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

We'll see. He's been bad tonight regardless of contact. Durant has won series like this in the past. 

Yeah, but I think the contact is wearing on him and contributes to his other miscues. He is expending a lot of energy just to get the ball. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, but I think the contact is wearing on him and contributes to his other miscues. He is expending a lot of energy just to get the ball. 

No disagreement there. Potential issue is that Brooklyn's HCA sucks. It will be 25% Celtics fans.