what's your political 'attitude' nowadays?

mchookem

what's your political attitude nowadays?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. not your political leaning/opinion per se, just your general attitude about everything...how are you feeling? (voters hidden)

• i'm mad as hell and i'm not going to take it anymore! fight me.
    • TFG was an anomaly...overall we're headed in the right direction.
    • meh, both sides, yada yada yada.
    • i'm exhausted and i give up. nothing but memes from here on out.
    • librul tears bring me great joy!
    • TFG broke us. we're done.
    • honestly, none of it really matters.

34 minutes ago, Satchel said:

That’s certainly one way of looking at it. I think most of us have faith of varying degrees in something, even if it’s the chair that we’re sitting in now. Blaming faith/religion for the growing embrace of conspiracy theories is too easy. That so many of us are not equipped to think critically is much more problematic, imo.

No way to discuss it w/o offending those who are religious I suppose.   Not saying all religious folks are conspiracy theorists, by the way.  But I do think religion is a hinderance to rationality.

And while I know you're using an example, trusting something that can be tested out to be true or false is not the same as using faith to cover for anything that can't be proven. Which was my intent in use of the term.   Borrowing from a comment I saw on this , "It isn't any more complicated than a willingness to believe something because you want to, not because evidence suggests it is truth."

Religion actually commends you on believing without evidence.  See Doubting Thomas story as but one example.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

44 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

One of the many reasons I don't see us getting better.  We all bemoan facts not mattering.  IMO, that extends straight from a belief in a sky god and an unerring book (full of contradictions) that is somehow our guide.   "Faith" is a problem that is never going away.

https://www.psypost.org/2022/04/people-who-endorse-conspiracy-theories-tend-to-be-more-religious-and-this-may-be-due-to-ideological-overlap-63020

The study doesn't appear to be as certain as the article and ends with a more study is needed.

Also it wasn't about faith but correlations between religiosity and CT acceptance. The two things they were researching was whether CT belief filled a psychological need similar to religion or if it's complimentary due to a religious/political overlap.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

The study doesn't appear to be as certain as the article and ends with a more study is needed.

Also it wasn't about faith but correlations between religiosity and CT acceptance. The two things they were researching was whether CT belief filled a psychological need similar to religion or if it's complimentary due to a religious/political overlap.

Haven't finished the whole study yet.  I am very much admittedly inserting my own opinions regarding faith and politics into the rest of it.

5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well, the ledge has clearly won 😒

mc, that fight was over LONG ago.

Oh, and as to religion, we're also seeing huge schisms WITHIN faiths based on the exact same splits.  Mainline denominations are being torn assunder by factions that are almost entirely MAGA -- hate the gays, love Trump, all the shit you'd expect.  And on the other side, is a faction of "what the fucking fuck?  Did y'all even READ the gospels that are the foundation of our entire belief system?"  The answer to that, is of course, "nope."  There is a split between those who use religion as a proxy for their pre-existing prejudices and beliefs, and a cudgel to pummel the weak, and those who actually try to engage in a sincere exercise of faith and theology.  And the gap between them is now grand canyon-wide.  Which split is killing mainline religion just as surely as the parallel gap is killing this country.

If you believe in this Republic, or in sincere religious belief.....your spot has LONG been on the ledge.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

No way to discuss it w/o offending those who are religious I suppose.   Not saying all religious folks are conspiracy theorists, by the way.  But I do think religion is a hinderance to rationality.

And while I know you're using an example, trusting something that can be tested out to be true or false is not the same as using faith to cover for anything that can't be proven. Which was my intent in use of the term.   Borrowing from a comment I saw on this , "It isn't any more complicated than a willingness to believe something because you want to, not because evidence suggests it is truth."

Religion actually commends you on believing without evidence.  See Doubting Thomas story as but one example.

Eh, I would put it more on extremism is a hinderance to rationality, with many prominent white churches promoting white, Christian extremism.   Which isn't all that different from Muslim extremism other than being coopted by one of the major political parties.  But there are plenty of religious folks who can be rational, but they aren't cult members.

25 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Eh, I would put it more on extremism is a hinderance to rationality, with many prominent white churches promoting white, Christian extremism.   Which isn't all that different from Muslim extremism other than being coopted by one of the major political parties.  But there are plenty of religious folks who can be rational, but they aren't cult members.

I should have said "can be" instead of 'is' now that I re-read my badly written screed.  

But there are plenty of religious folks who can be rational, but they aren't cult members.

Oh for sure.  But the religion itself generally (and I'm going with the predominant ones in the US here) relies on a suspension of disbelief or skepticism at some point. I think that can be a dangerous habit.  But that's me.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I see your point and I mostly agree with your definition of religion based faith. Many of us would tweak it a bit by saying religion commends belief with reason and without evidence. Atheists, as I understand it, reasonably believe there is no God and they do so without evidence. 
Appreciate the perspective, btw, and am not at all offended.

Edited by Satchel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lucid said:

Everyday I send out my hopes and prayers that the Potomac will flood and wash away D.C. with no survivors

What good is a flood when the people voting in garbage are still alive to bring it all back?  Vote meteor.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like this young lass, I really do. I sent money to Warnock and Ossoff believing what I was told about how getting them in meant a slim majority in the senate and a way to move legislation forward, finally getting much needed policy in place and starting the work to even the playing field that needs so much leveling. But instead, they allowed Manchin to highjack things. Then instead of at least changing the filibuster to the old rules to make things more difficult for the republicans...at least even to gain some leverage, they sit on their thumbs. They are all a bunch of Susan Collins'! 

Now I'm mad but in a powerless-can't-do-shit-about-it way. This is a dangerous feeling. I'm not a total have not, so if I feel this way, what about others more shat upon and frustrated than me? I'll join them but this is not how I was hoping to live out the rest of my typical American life. I weep for that lost place for us all. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I feel like this young lass, I really do. I sent money to Warnock and Ossoff believing what I was told about how getting them in meant a slim majority in the senate and a way to move legislation forward, finally getting much needed policy in place and starting the work to even the playing field that needs so much leveling. But instead, they allowed Manchin to highjack things. Then instead of at least changing the filibuster to the old rules to make things more difficult for the republicans...at least even to gain some leverage, they sit on their thumbs. They are all a bunch of Susan Collins'! 

Now I'm mad but in a powerless-can't-do-shit-about-it way. This is a dangerous feeling. I'm not a total have not, so if I feel this way, what about others more shat upon and frustrated than me? I'll join them but this is not how I was hoping to live out the rest of my typical American life. I weep for that lost place for us all. 

When you have 1) minority rule, which 2) imposes a draconian as opposed to moderated agenda, then 3) you end up with a majority which feels and actually IS powerless.  That is a powder keg.  That is absolutely a recipe for violent collapse.  And knowing that, the conservative minority continues to pour the same ingredients into the mix.

You ARE powerless.  We ARE fucked.  And that's how they want it.  They want complete social collapse, because they are end-time eschatologist nutbars who believe that once everything is in ashes, they can rebuild the dream white theocratic republic that they believe we should have been all along, and must be in the future.  The end game is chaos, violence, and death.....that's not a by-product, it's the goal.  Awful suffering, followed by a nation bent on imposing cruelty on all that it can worldwide.

Thus, her feelings and yours are accurate.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 12:58 PM, Hate said:

This statement is particularly naive as there have been many calls to eliminate the electoral college here on this board.  Ending the EC would effectively end the chance of a Republican ever being elected POTUS, and many here would sign up for that in a heartbeat.  I think the worst part of politics over the last several years is the hyperbole. Everyone on the other team is a natzi and everyone on my team is a saint.  It's all bullshit and it's gone beyond tiresome.  It's why a lot of people like me have mostly checked out. 

*as I absolutely abhor the CR, this will be my only post on this thread.  I thought this thread had a chance to be different, but it quickly devolved into the same old tired hyperbole.  I did vote for "honestly, none of it really matters" simply because I think both parties are completely out of touch with the average American.  I want a return to common sense.  Thanks, bye.

why do you think that is? Seriously, think about what you typed here.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Livertarian. 

So I'll elaborate a bit.  I don't really believe in either parties and I will not loyally follow a platform to the nth degree just because it falls under a D or an R. I understand I've alienated half this board by saying that.

I believe in fiscal conservatism but I'm a social liberal.  Build the roads, protect our country,  help the less fortunate but I think working hard is still important and I want to keep as much of my money as possible.  

I'm also a hypocrite though.  I want low taxes but I also believe in universal healthcare.  That's my non-negotiable.  

And I'm probably in the minority as well, but I thought the riots following George's death were over the top and did more harm to the cause than good.

See you in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

i'm frustrated at dems inability to actually do anything useful, but reserve the bulk of your anger for those that work to ensure that inability.  sucks you didn't lock the door, but it's still the burglar's fault for robbing you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When you have 1) minority rule, which 2) imposes a draconian as opposed to moderated agenda, then 3) you end up with a majority which feels and actually IS powerless.  That is a powder keg.  That is absolutely a recipe for violent collapse.  And knowing that, the conservative minority continues to pour the same ingredients into the mix.

You ARE powerless.  We ARE fucked.  And that's how they want it.  They want complete social collapse, because they are end-time eschatologist nutbars who believe that once everything is in ashes, they can rebuild the dream white theocratic republic that they believe we should have been all along, and must be in the future.  The end game is chaos, violence, and death.....that's not a by-product, it's the goal.  Awful suffering, followed by a nation bent on imposing cruelty on all that it can worldwide.

In the immortal words of our own esteemed Johnny Sack, esq., "LOL. Don't care."

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

I've always held onto the following:

"The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

I just no longer think we'll see justice in my, or likely my child's, life.

I try to focus more on the here and now - my family and enjoying each day. I've deleted my twitter account as my doom-scrolling was taking a toll. This is the only place I interact with politics, and I often tell myself I need to cut this out too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

You've expressed exactly how I feel, but I can't imagine how you feel right now. 

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You know what man, considering the topic, and considering the poster, maybe you didn't need to reply with that fucking shit at that time? Everyone knows you're the head cheerleader and mascot for the ledge, but maybe not try to show up all the time so gleeful and engorged to remind everyone about it, eh? About the only thing missing was you typing "Wait until you get raped, pregnant, and have to bring it to term!"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You've expressed exactly how I feel, but I can't imagine how you feel right now. 

You know what man, considering the topic, and considering the poster, maybe you didn't need to reply with that fucking shit at that time? Everyone knows you're the head cheerleader and mascot for the ledge, but maybe not try to show up all the time so gleeful and engorged to remind everyone about it, eh? About the only thing missing was you typing "Wait until you get raped, pregnant, and have to bring it to term!"

I mean.....I thought that was implied.

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I've always held onto the following:

I just no longer think we'll see justice in my, or likely my child's, life.

I try to focus more on the here and now - my family and enjoying each day. I've deleted my twitter account as my doom-scrolling was taking a toll. This is the only place I interact with politics, and I often tell myself I need to cut this out too.

I'm trying to take the long view here as well. It seems like historically when there is a breaking point, either a civil war or a mass pilgrimage/exodus occurs. And we have no new land on earth so...I guess it's either Lord Elon and Twitter on Mars we go or whatever a civil war in the modern era looks like. Probably looks like a proxy shareholder fight and we won't participate but be told what happened.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's a shitty post and you fucking know it. 

Well, 1) this is Surly, and 2) of course it's shitty.  The shitty is the fucking point.  As shitty as a shitload of us men feel about the future prospects for this country, it just got stamped and sealed that women should feel that much shittier about it, because we're going to take a giant leap backwards towards treating women like chattel.  That's shitty.  It's as shitty as it gets.  A US citizen who happens to be female just got moved down a level definitively and with cruel authority.  So, yeah, it's a crude and shitty comment.  Which is the point.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, 1) this is Surly, and 2) of course it's shitty.  The shitty is the fucking point.  As shitty as a shitload of us men feel about the future prospects for this country, it just got stamped and sealed that women should feel that much shittier about it, because we're going to take a giant leap backwards towards treating women like chattel.  That's shitty.  It's as shitty as it gets.  A US citizen who happens to be female just got moved down a level definitively and with cruel authority.  So, yeah, it's a crude and shitty comment.  Which is the point.

Yeah, Which is what I meant, by my original post, which was maybe don't pick JUST this minute to in depth remind a female poster on this website about just how fucked her life could become, and dredge up anew how valid all her fears might be, fuck head. You whine and moan about humanity, and the lack of empathy, and how warped Christianity has become, and then you come running to exhibit none of the things you claim to want to exalt as a person to someone who likely doesn't need you to remind them right now. The world is going to be shitty without you showing up to spike your fucking ledge football. 

I hope your wife kicks you in the dick and forces you to watch last years Kansas game every night for a fucking month. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sometimes I am able to take a macro view and think big change is glacial and made up of thousands of tiny movements and that we just happen to be in a relatively short period of tiny movements that are in the wrong direction.  Other times, I think that we are on an inevitable trajectory toward fascism, repression, injustice, suffering and death. Those times at least I can say, "Well, hey, I'm a white male.  As long as I keep my mouth shut and my thoughts hidden they won't kill me." It's comforting.

Metronome Meme.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:50 AM, closetohumping said:

So I'll elaborate a bit.  I don't really believe in either parties and I will not loyally follow a platform to the nth degree just because it falls under a D or an R. I understand I've alienated half this board by saying that.

I believe in fiscal conservatism but I'm a social liberal.  Build the roads, protect our country,  help the less fortunate but I think working hard is still important and I want to keep as much of my money as possible.  

I'm also a hypocrite though.  I want low taxes but I also believe in universal healthcare.  That's my non-negotiable.  

And I'm probably in the minority as well, but I thought the riots following George's death were over the top and did more harm to the cause than good.

See you in 2024.

image.gif.eab56e07269c3fb8b3d6240b563c35a6.gif

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, Foosters said:

I made up my own, more wordy, analogy (metaphor? whatever):

"The moral pendulum swings back and forth. Oftentimes, the higher it swings one way, the higher it swings the other. But with each oscillation, the equilibrium position inexorably shifts, with varying amounts of displacement, toward the side of morality."

I think my analogy more accurately describes what we see in the real world if we look over a long enough period of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

i've been thinking...i wonder if the results of my totally arbitrary and completely unscientific survey are actually an indication of why the 'wrong direction/right direction' poll may be relatively meaningless when trying to predict voter outcomes 🤔

i.e. 'yes we're doomed but I'm still voting 'X' way'

All my hate’s gonna burn me up.  I tried the other day to tune it all out.  I figured if I can just stop looking beyond what’s right in front of me I wouldn’t notice how fucked everything is.  Made like 48 hours of that.  Then like the next day the abortion filing came out.  So… back to being hateful and cynical all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1