Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

What must be accounted is to what degree having a conference school in a given region/ state/ market/ city delivers viewership and interest. SE Texas and Houston metro are bigger both geographically and by population than many states. This “state” of “around Houston” is not delivered by Rice and not very well by Houston. More people there would tune in to see LSU or Texas by quite a margin. How many people in Phoenix would rather watch Bama or tOSU than ASU? As more people cut cable, the geography of the audience may well slide significantly further behind the brand name of the school on TV. Cities and states don’t watch games— fans do. ESPN/SEC maximizes viewers by maximizing the strength of its brand, both in reality and in perception. 

UH actually does pretty well in Houston.  Its beyond Houston they don't do especially well.  Back around 2005-2009 the Chronicle would list local TV ratings.  Even being in CUSA, UH usually was ahead of aggy.  Texas, of course, was off the chart.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, locodos said:

tumblr_mew0tzxPbU1qfvtk0.gif

So I'm not sure what type of history they're teaching down in Texas.  Mizzou might be the only member to be free of those stains...  and just barely.

Sounds like Mizzou.  They stayed in the union, but sued them!!!

And actually, Missouri was one of the 13 stars on the Confederate flag.  There was a rump secession legislature.  Same with Kentucky.

I can't be the only one thinking this isn't going to end well, right?  The idea of an ever inflating business model is a foolhardy one in my eyes.  Nothing lasts forever, including growth.  I look at the Bally's sports bankruptcy as a perfect model of this.  Those deals were struck with the idea in mind that grabbing market share lead to automatic growth; only they found out that what they projected people would pay vs what they would pay were entirely different.  That isn't an exact comparable to this situation, but the point stands, the dollars and cents on the contracts are only good so long as the broadcaster is fiscally healthy and, you know, not bankrupt.  Espn is hemorrhaging money, to the point of being a drag on Disney's bottom line.  There are many reasons for this, (i.e. subscriber loss due to cord cutting, etc), but a big part of this over-payment for content. 

At the end of the day, what I fear is that college football will have sold it's soul (traditions, regional viability, etc) for a pot of gold that turns out to be iron pyrite.   The market is going thru rapid changes, and I guess get the money will you can is the order of the day, but in the long term, I believe this is neither viable nor sustainable.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Maybe. With Sunday ticket you’re targeting fans that aren’t getting the games they want in-market, which is a much smaller pool of potential fans since most can see the team(s) they want on a linear network. 

With the pac/apple thing, you wouldn’t see ANY of those teams on linear. So if someone wanted to watch their team, they would have no choice.

The flip side of that is how many pac fans would actually give a fuck and pony up for it when their tv ratings are mostly an afterthought?

That is the real issue. The interest just isn’t strong enough for the portion of their demographics that could (and would) pony up for such a package. Even worse if they also have to subscribe to apple+, but I haven’t yet seen that was also a thing.

I think they might, and that’s a shaky might at that, have been able to get close to the bottom number of 1.7M. However that would have definitely had to have some type of additional input, such as mentioned, like a t-mobile “free with plan” or other such deal somewhere.

Either way it was a shit position, and completely self-induced due to the smug, elitist attitude of a few. Funny thing about wanting something really bad, sometimes you actually get it.

Definitely agree here. He had to have seen the writing on the wall. Even Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could see that shit.

He knew exactly what he was doing. Not just an attempt at saving (or at least extending) his paycheck. He thought if he could wait it out long enough that the members would be in such a bind that if they only had a short time to decide on and sign a deal that it would somehow keep the wheels on the bus.

We can see this by his finally presenting a deal with numbers and all the beginning of last week.

Funny part is that the offer was only good through that Friday.

”Here’s the deal, we have to sign by Friday or it’s gone.”

You’re telling me that apple made an offer and said you only have 4 or 5 days to sign?

I don’t think so.

To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised for their to be action against the clown at some point down the road.

Not because he fucked up his job, but because he willingly tried to manipulate members and willingly put them in a position where he (falsely) assumed they would have no choice.

Guess he should have done some reading along the way, but too late now. 

Read somewhere that MLS didn't even have 900k.  If true, no way the Pac gets 1.7 million.

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Cover 3 guys pointed out the current CFP contract is only for 2 years. They’re confident the 6 auto bids will go away, and for good reason. 

The AAC and MWC champions getting a bye/home game over Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, and ACC schools is some bullshit. But hey, they all signed the contract. That said UAB hosting Bama would be funny.

SMU or UTSA hosting Texas, not so funny. 

Those stadiums would be 80% Texas fans so it wouldn’t matter.

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

New Big10 > New SEC  and it's not even close. Can we jump before next year? Always hated the idea of being in the Confederacy conference.

Lol no. This is just a terrible opinion. Texas has more in common with SEC than it does any state in the BIG. The geography of the SEC has the best recruiting ground in the country and players who reside in that want to play in that. 3 of the top 4 NFL producing states are SEC states. Something like 6/7 of the top 10 are SEC states. 

Just an incredibly stupid opinion 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 7

Just now, closetohumping said:

Yea.  Wish we had waited

I'm pretty sure Texas could wrangle a PAC invite now if they wanted to.

I don't think that Florida fans, or those of any other university in the SEC, feel deep comradery for other SEC schools.  I can't imagine, as a fan, traveling to another school and thinking "Ah, these are my people!"   Nope, I'm here to have a good time, see a great game in a cool environment.  If you need that sense of belonging I'd suggest crossfit. 

That said, if you want to compare atmospheres in the SEC vs Big10, that seems like a way to go.  But the idea of having your, or your university's, credibility burnished or tarnished based on athletic opponents seem very myopic.  I feel like Delany during his time at Ohio St. was the one really pushing this narrative as a salve to soothe their losses, which as a Florida fan was quite funny.

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

You're an incredibly stupid opinion. From a fan watching perspective, it will prove to be the more enjoyable experience. Enjoy your trips to Hattiesburg aggy.

Oh so you’re a vacation fag that thinks conference realignment should be about places you’d vacation let me know about all those great PAC vacation spots that don’t exist 

SEC is the best football conference from tv standpoint and game watching. It’s the best from a results standpoint as well, look at national title and winners. On top of football it is by far the best baseball conference and top 5 basketball. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, locodos said:

I feel like Delany during his time at Ohio St. was the one really pushing this narrative as a salve to soothe their losses, which as a Florida fan was quite funny.

Didn't Gee write a really sad letter to fans about how they were still the better school after Florida curb stomped Ohio State and even that was wrong?

Edited by gatormarc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gatormarc said:

Didn't Gee write a really sad letter to fans about how they were still the better school after Florida curb stomped Ohio State and even that was wrong?

Yup, IIRC he was also hinting that Florida and the SEC might be doing a little light cheating and that Ohio's players and coaches were held to a higher standard...  and on queue... tattoo/memorabilia gate & Tressel got canned.  Chef's kiss

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, locodos said:
14 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Get your SEC stickers for your F150 yet?

They're on back order!  The supply chain just can't absorb a shock like Aggy joining

also Salt Life for Life bro!

I couldn't wait and just printed my own.

Also, got one of those knock off Swamp Life stickers at the Racetrac in the bathsalts section.

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

New Big10 > New SEC  and it's not even close. Can we jump before next year? Always hated the idea of being in the Confederacy conference.

I don't know.  Giving up racists for kiddie fuckers.  Seems like a lose lose.  At least we'll be entertained and some serious cash, which won't help any of us, will be flowing...

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

To each their own but the big 10 feels too corporate for college sports. None of their adds felt organic and are forced. The new travel schedule will kill their non revenue sports and  further crater an abysmal baseball league. We've upgraded in all sports but basketball. We're right where we belong as an athletic blue blood. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lol no. This is just a terrible opinion. Texas has more in common with SEC than it does any state in the BIG. The geography of the SEC has the best recruiting ground in the country and players who reside in that want to play in that. 3 of the top 4 NFL producing states are SEC states. Something like 6/7 of the top 10 are SEC states. 

Just an incredibly stupid opinion 

It just means more!

Its really a better fit for our athletics.

Big 10 is a horrible fit.  We don't have hockey and wrestling and they aren't that good at spring sports.

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don't know.  Giving up racists for kiddie fuckers.  Seems like a lose lose.  At least we'll be entertained and some serious cash, which won't help any of us, will be flowing...

I do not think it will be entertaining. This is supposed to be college football. I do not care at all how much more money some old crusties in suits are able to gain and waste on this bullshit. I did not grow up watching SEC football, and I do not really care about it.

I’m not sure why academics and academic cooperation has anything to do with arhletic conferences, but it seemingly does which is why I’d push for uva and North Carolina to join the sec and add to the conference academic reputation.  Duke I guess would be a good add for that along with basketball and lacrosse.

the academic smack of big12 vs sec as it relates to a Texas move lost all of its teeth over the years as the 12 added the likes of wvu while losing some decently ranked ones, while already having some less than stellar schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The premier academic conference is and will continue to be the B1G, All of the B1G flagships are AAU, while most of those in the SEC are not. While Cal’s and Stanford’s appeals to the B1G are falling on deaf ears, who’s to say what might happen as this shit show of realignment continues.

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m not sure why academics and academic cooperation has anything to do with arhletic conferences, but it seemingly does which is why I’d push for uva and North Carolina to join the sec and add to the conference academic reputation.  Duke I guess would be a good add for that along with basketball and lacrosse.

the academic smack of big12 vs sec as it relates to a Texas move lost all of its teeth over the years as the 12 added the likes of wvu while losing some decently ranked ones, while already having some less than stellar schools. 

Georgia and Florida are better than any big 12 leftover school

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Read somewhere that MLS didn't even have 900k.  If true, no way the Pac gets 1.7 million.

While I already said they would have a tough time hitting it, comparing to soccer is a bit of a stretch. Worse than Sunday ticket.

It was doomed from the start, obviously. Unfortunately we won’t have the hilarity ensure from that, as the funny business went another direction.

Fuck em. They made their bed. 

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Georgia and Florida are better than any big 12 leftover school

I’m aware. Plus vandy. Aggy is tough to categorize as they had gotten pretty decent but changed tack and are on their way down.  Usually it’s best practice to assume the worst from them, so that’s that.  Florida though- they may be on the same path as aggy thanks to what’s going on there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The premier academic conference is and will continue to be the B1G, All of the B1G flagships are AAU, while most of those in the SEC are not. While Cal’s and Stanford’s appeals to the B1G are falling on deaf ears, who’s to say what might happen as this shit show of realignment continues.

giphy.gif

The N on the cornhusker helmets stands for nowledge

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Satchel said:

thats my thought...a lot of folks on here think academics play zero role in this.  Initially yes, that's true,  But if the Big18 can pick up Cal and Furd for $20M a year (which they would jump at)?  Apple was going to pay them $23M as part of the Pac.  They are both top 50 in TV ratings.  "Cal doesnt care about football"...they dropped almost half a billion on their stadium and facilities upgrades not that long ago. And they bring the academic cred and resources the other Big18 schools crave.  ESPN wont let the ACC fold any time soon, they'll lose some of those schools to Fox controlled leagues so short term, makes no sense to allow it.  Big18 may stand pat but Apple is still wanting to get in.  If they fund Cal and Furd to come in and get 4th tier rights, this doesnt sound that far fetched.  We'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

I do not think it will be entertaining. This is supposed to be college football. I do not care at all how much more money some old crusties in suits are able to gain and waste on this bullshit. I did not grow up watching SEC football, and I do not really care about it.

Yeah how awesome was it growing up watching Texas vs Baylor!

• Rage+1 1

I have to wonder if Klownikoff is looking at potential legal liability for the bullshit he fed the gullible left-behinds? I’m doubtful, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to screw Cal or Stanford out of money considering their alumni base. I know, if they cared, the schools wouldn’t need the cash (although Tree has more money than God).

It’s one thing to make a bad deal out of incompetence, it’s another to deliberately pull the “checks in the mail” crap.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

But if the Big18 can pick up Cal and Furd for $20M a year (which they would jump at)? 

Why would the Big 10 want Stanford and Cal when they could add Duke and UNC... who are almost equivalent academic institutions, but offer vastly better athletics and eyeballs.

Regardless, the Big 10 won't add two more schools.  We may be stopping at 20 and they are going to leave open a spot for Notre Dame guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You know who is AAU?  Arizona state.  And not sure if aggy’s status is in jeopardy with their shenanigans. 

aggy’s PUF share which provides significant funding for its research initiatives will ensure their continued relationship with the AAU. Hell, they knew aggy was a cultural backwater when they were admitted 20 years ago. Btw, ASU’s  650 million in RFD is nothing to sneeze at. 

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Why would the Big 10 want Stanford and Cal when they could add Duke and UNC... who are almost equivalent academic institutions, but offer vastly better athletics and eyeballs.

Regardless, the Big 10 won't add two more schools.  We may be stopping at 20 and they are going to leave open a spot for Notre Dame guaranteed.

Because they’re Cal and Stanford. The B1G, more than anybody, is all about better thanness

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Y’all are impossible to please. Texas is joining a conference with more revenue, better athletics, better academics, better officiating, better leadership, more stability, better branding, more land grant flagship universities, and yet y’all still find new things to bitch about. 

For real. We’re joining the best conference for the sport that drives all of college athletics and the premiere baseball conference. 

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

as I said, I dont think ESPN will allow the ACC to disintegrate until it suits their purpose to do so.  If they did, I would agree with you because those  schools would definitely be in front of the line.  But I dont see Duke, Uva and UNC going anywhere for the foreseeable future IMO.  You may be right that they stand pat at 18, I'm just trying to think through things logically. I negotiate contracts for a living so tend to think about angles from both sides and specifically money impact. If adding Cal and Furd helps travel costs, adds TV inventory and doesnt cost the other schools anything for the next decade, I think there is value in adding them.

And full disclosure, I'm a Texas grad but come from a Cal family and grew up in the Bay Area going to Cal games.  I'm trying not to wish cast Cal into any kind of relevance but if the Big18 doesnt happen, their program likely ceases to exist. Independent or MWC isn't an option financially.  Big12 cultural divide is vast so unlikely.  Some sort of merge with the ACC was possible but probably isnt viable with Washington and Oregon gone.  

Edited by Zhorn96

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

And full disclosure, I'm a Texas grad but come from a Cal family and grew up in the Bay Area going to Cal games.

Your family should start coming to grips with the fact that they are going to be in the Mountain West.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

as I said, I dont think ESPN will allow the ACC to disintegrate until it suits their purpose to do so.  If they did, I would agree with you because those  schools would definitely be in front of the line.  But I dont see Duke, Uva and UNC arent going anywhere for the foreseeable future IMO.  You may be right that they stand pat at 18, I'm just trying to think through things logically. I negotiate contracts for a living so tend to think about angles from both sides and specifically money impact. If adding Cal and Furd helps travel costs, adds TV inventory and doesnt cost the other schools anything for the next decade, I think there is value in adding them.

And full disclosure, I'm a Texas grad but come from a Cal family and grew up in the Bay Area going to Cal games.  I'm trying not to wish cast Cal into any kind of relevance but if the Big18 doesnt happen, their program likely ceases to exist. Independent or MWC isn't an option financially.  Big12 cultural divide is vast so unlikely.  Some sort of merge with the ACC was possible but probably isnt viable with Washington and Oregon gone.  

Could be nothing more than click bait, but the cold reality of needing money now, might be calling some to become pragmatic

https://twitter.com/MHver3/status/1687841142644047872?t=1uM8EyqyPeVWSg5ePZnI5g&s=09

• Haha 1