Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It’s funny to see the big 12 schools sucking each other’s dicks right about now.  Their continued survival is more about the pac’s incompetence than anything that they actually did. It’s great for them that they are going to get decent tv revenue In this round but that gaggle of spares smells an awful lot like the old mountain west conference.

The playoff negotiations are going to be interesting.  You can bet your sweet ass that one of the auto bids is going away. I wouldn’t be shocked if they whittle it down even further. I wonder what side the big 12 comes down on? Do they think they have a shot to get two teams into the playoff? Or will they know their place at the kiddie table? I also wonder what the networks throw out there because we know they're driving the bus. 

I probably should just let this post go but based on what I've read from the legacy Big 12 fan bases that will still be in the conference, the feeling is a whole lot more sigh of relief and laughing at the Pac 12's incompetence than it is collective essing of Ds. The league is going to be a hodgepodge of schools, no question. And it may (likely will?) fall apart with the next round of negotiations.  I think what you're seeing is largely just a feeling of relief that there's some stability for some period of time, and appreciation that it was somebody else's incompetence that caused another conference to essentially fully disintegrate. The last decade plus has not been fun, especially for those of us who came in from the Big 8 side of the conference.

But given all circumstances, I think the league is as well positioned as it can be to have an auto-bid, though I wouldn't think two teams is ever to be likely.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I actually agree with Bilas and his take on realignment. Its insane these colleges are bitching and moaning about transfer portal and NIL while they are simultaneously portalling for cash.

I disagree they are moving around for cash once their contract are over or paying millions to move a year early. The problem with the portal is that it has not penalties for leaving after you sign a contract.

Getting these conferences to 16, 18, or 20, from a competition standpoint, they really need to look at some kind of pool play where you have your second pool games scheduled home or away, but don't know how your opponent will be until later in the year.  It could be awesome.

13 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Interesting take from local news out in Cal. Gives a pretty good synopsis but obviously doesn’t elaborate too much on how Cal/Stanford own a lot of blame for the situation and generally puts it on the ‘conference’

google the chick:

karina nova

she has a fantastic rack that looks real and spectacular

would

+++

the ranter dude is dead on, pulls no punches, breaks through the wall of arrogance and gives cal and tree a solid verbal Blood Eagle on local television

just absolutely tears in to them

everyone can call condom evil for playing them on their exit - but who hired larry scott? - who hired klowkoff?

usc is more like us and the situation we've faced since jackie opened his fedex account

aggy and cal/tree are polar opposites but in delusion and arrogance share landspeed records few other schools can touch

the ranter dude nails everything and only leaves out the very first scott/cal/tree fuckup which was to kill the texas/0u/tech/state move west

colorado and utah bitched about it, but make no mistake, it was stanford and cal that killed it

and the ranter dude pours acid on the exposed organs of the cal/tree broken and split open rib cages

STANFORD AND CAL DID THIS TO THEMSELVES

oh, and no mention of beaver or cougar, he could have at least given them an honorable mention

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has the Big Ten issued a statement/plan on permanent rivalries? I would assume all the West Coast teams will play each other every year. That would leave them 6 games to play the other 17 schools. I guess theoretically everybody could play everybody once every 3 years. 

Yay USC fan, right?! 

Fox is clearly driving everything, and they're going to want as many USC, UO, UW vs OSU, UM, PSU as possible.  

So I think there's a good chance the BIG goes with a 1-8-8 model.  Schedule stays at 9 games, and you still get every other year rotation for all schools.

USC year 1:  UCLA, UW, OSU, PSU, WI, IA, NW, RU, IN

UO year 1:    UW, UCLA, UM, MSU, MN, NU, IL, MD, PU

USC year 2:  UCLA, UO, UM, MSU, MN, NU, IL, MD, PU

UO year 2:    UW, USC, OSU, PSU, WI, IA, NW, RU, IN

Every existing BIG team would take one West Coast trip per year, so no one gains an advantage by not playing out West, which some BIG schools were grumbling about when the schedules came out last month.

Nine protected rivalries:

OSU-UM

USC-UCLA

UW-UO

PSU-MSU

WI-MN

IA-NU

IN-PU

IL-NW

RU-MD

Iowa would cry about not getting MN and WI every year, but those aren't huge ratings drivers.  

The only game with substantial ratings that would get dropped would be UM-MSU, but UM has seemed fine with that.  

MSU would be furious, but if Fox wants this type of schedule, they'll probably get it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dewey said:

There's no way with the moves that the big xii is making that the sec stands still. The acc better watch their ass, because both those conferences are coming. 

Keep in mind it is not the BIG XII and SEC making moves. It will be ESPN deciding what happens to the ACC and when.

I think the conferences will continue to expand.  I see the SEC and Big 10 eventually expanding to 20 teams and stopping there. That is going to continue to create instability.  And where will the expansion come from?  NOT the Big 12.  And probably not from the dross of the PAC-10.  The remaining west coast assets are garbage.  So that leaves the ACC.  And as good as the academics are at Cal and Stanford, there are also extremely good academic universities in the ACC that also are decent on the field / court.

It is a game of chicken.  No school will want to be where Oregon State and Cal are right now. So if a few ACC teams decide to move - or there are even RUMORS that they will move, the 2nd tier teams will immediately start scrambling, just like ASU, Utah, Colorado, etc.  Boom, it will be easy to get the 6 signatures needed.

If we assume the SEC and Big10 will get to 20, then I see it playing out like this:

SEC

• Florida State - This will be the first domino in the next phase IMO
  • Clemson - Best asset available outside of ND and FSU
  • Virginia Tech (or Virginia) - Virginia is the better all around get IMO, but I think they are a better fit in the Big 10.  
  • Miami - Best brand available. Keeps the Big 10 (and largely the Big 12) out of Florida

Big 10

• Notre Dame - Obvious destination
  • Virginia - Flagship school with solid athletics and great academics

Big 12

• North Carolina - Basketball school who will fit right in to the Big 12 and will take advantage of a Big 12 hoops contract
  • Duke - Part of the deal with UNC.  Also private schools that could do well in the Big 12
  • Louisville - Another great school to add to the hoops contract. Can be decent at football
  • Pitt - Last, best available piece. Natural partner for WV.   (Better add than NC State or Georgia Tech)

Then you wind up with the following footprints:

image.thumb.png.3c924b6f85c11f794f3897cb86941d3f.png

image.thumb.png.57809f1c87e057953b3bd70b15286a2d.png

image.thumb.png.ec9d5b58176acb654374a4503433861b.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

With 20 teams, you can divide into 5-team pods that preserve a lot of the regional rivalries.  Teams can play every team in their pod, plus one team in the other pods for a total of 7 games.  If they expand to 10 conference games, they can also have a permanent rival in each of the other pods that they play every year. 

Canzano hasnt been right about much but in his column today he stated that there will be $420M up for grabs in a Pac-12 "war chest" coming from media rights distributions, postseason distributions, other payments etc that the remaining 4 schools are entitled to use to cover costs and damages because they got ditched.  Sounds... questionable... but if true this whole deal gets even more comedic.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

Canzano hasnt been right about much but in his column today he stated that there will be $420M up for grabs in a Pac-12 "war chest" coming from media rights distributions, postseason distributions, other payments etc that the remaining 4 schools are entitled to use to cover costs and damages because they got ditched.  Sounds... questionable... but if true this whole deal gets even more comedic.

I think Wilner said the same and I have no idea what they're talking about. Every PAC school should still be receiving their distributions for this year. I feel like one of them (probably Canzano) just randomly thought to himself "hey they're all leaving that means the ones who are left get to keep all the conference payouts for the year" while drunk. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the conferences will continue to expand.  I see the SEC and Big 10 eventually expanding to 20 teams and stopping there. That is going to continue to create instability.  And where will the expansion come from?  NOT the Big 12.  And probably not from the dross of the PAC-10.  The remaining west coast assets are garbage.  So that leaves the ACC.  And as good as the academics are at Cal and Stanford, there are also extremely good academic universities in the ACC that also are decent on the field / court.

It is a game of chicken.  No school will want to be where Oregon State and Cal are right now. So if a few ACC teams decide to move - or there are even RUMORS that they will move, the 2nd tier teams will immediately start scrambling, just like ASU, Utah, Colorado, etc.  Boom, it will be easy to get the 6 signatures needed.

If we assume the SEC and Big10 will get to 20, then I see it playing out like this:

SEC

• Virginia Tech (or Virginia) - Virginia is the better all around get IMO, but I think they are a better fit in the Big 10.  
  • Miami - Best brand available. Keeps the Big 10 (and largely the Big 12) out of Florida

Big 10

• Notre Dame - Obvious destination
  • Virginia - Flagship school with solid athletics and great academics

Big 12

• North Carolina - Basketball school who will fit right in to the Big 12 and will take advantage of a Big 12 hoops contract
  • Duke - Part of the deal with UNC.  Also private schools that could do well in the Big 12
  • Louisville - Another great school to add to the hoops contract. Can be decent at football
  • Pitt - Last, best available piece. Natural partner for WV.   (Better add than NC State or Georgia Tech)

Then you wind up with the following footprints:

image.thumb.png.3c924b6f85c11f794f3897cb86941d3f.png

image.thumb.png.57809f1c87e057953b3bd70b15286a2d.png

image.thumb.png.ec9d5b58176acb654374a4503433861b.png

image.gif.a42f3613f817dc6ef0edf9236fbabd72.gif

This is too simple to fuck up. SEC targets in order. 

1) Notre Dame

2) Florida State

3) UNC

Edited by billfromlaketravis

16 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Keep in mind it is not the BIG XII and SEC making moves. It will be ESPN deciding what happens to the ACC and when.

Exactly. I don’t know why this is so hard for people to grasp. The Tv networks are the ones in charge here and ESPN has no incentive to break apart the ACC right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The idea of ND in the SEC is so bizarre. They are part of the rust belt definition. South Bend is a quasi exurb of Chicago. Nothing at all in common with the SEC except they play football. They are BIG, Indy, or special status ACC.

Last blue blood left. I don’t care if South Bend is an exurb of Doha. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, HookEm said:

SEC

lulz no.  They're the Icy Hot Stuntaz of college football.  Sure when they were rampantly cheating and playing for titles at home they had success...  but oh man

Have you met their shitty fans?

Have you been to Miami Gardens (+16miles from their "campus") to see a home game?

Have you heard that their NIL mega booster is probably going to jail?

Do you know they've NEVER won an ACC title?

I seriously doubt the Big10 will touch them.   South Florida is a big TV market, but you get MANY more eyeballs with either the Gata or FSU.  

Pros:

recruiting South Florida

weather

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1

All in all, I’m pretty happy with FOX’s chess game.

1) It forces the Mouse to act on something. Anything.They have to pay up for the 9th SEC game to match quality inventory. 

2) Decent to good late night games from the Big Ten and Big 12. 

3) Kills off many West Coast games that nobody gives a shit about. 

35 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Cal/Tree/Beavers/Wazzu gonna try to avoid paying anything they can to the 8 that are leaving...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Has this been inevitable for about 30 years?

is my timeline correct here-

big 10 adds Penn st around the same time sec adds carolina and arky-1990ish

big10 adds Rutgers and Maryland around the time sec adds missouri and  aggy 

big 10 adds usc and ucla around the time sec adds Texas and ou

big10 adds uo and uw.  Sec yet to respond.  Accelerated by demise of pacX.  

Big east, acc, big12, pac, and others all affected downstream of these moves.  Killing the big east and now the pac12 while the big12 has done its best aac impersonation (or wac/cusa to a lesser extent) of cobbling together an orphanage that should provide for good entertainment value  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Has this been inevitable for about 30 years?

is my timeline correct here-

big 10 adds Penn st around the same time sec adds carolina and arky-1990ish

big10 adds Rutgers and Maryland around the time sec adds missouri and  aggy 

big 10 adds usc and ucla around the time sec adds Texas and ou

big10 adds uo and uw.  Sec yet to respond.  Accelerated by demise of pacX.  

Big east, acc, big12, pac, and others all affected downstream of these moves.  Killing the big east and now the pac12 while the big12 has done its best aac impersonation (or wac/cusa to a lesser extent) of cobbling together an orphanage that should provide for good entertainment value  

You forgot, even Finebaum repeated this yesterday, that the SEC offered FSU to join in 1990 and Bobby Bowden said, "Nope!"

38 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Exactly. I don’t know why this is so hard for people to grasp. The Tv networks are the ones in charge here and ESPN has no incentive to break apart the ACC right now.

I think ESPN has an incentive to get the ACC to dissolve. We know worth while teams are desperate to find a home in the Power 2 even if it means doing it at a discount. So lets say FSU and Clemson to SEC for $40M a piece. North Carolina, Virginia and Miami to BIG 10 at no cost to ESPN. Then Duke, Pitt, Louisville and UConn to BIG 12 at $31M.

So ESPN gets the premier basketball conference and decent football and two more great teams in the SEC for $204M a year instead of the $240 it pays today for the ACC. I think getting the ACC to dissolve is a better deal for ESPN. I really don't understand why people think ESPN does not have an incentive to break up the ACC.

Edited by DanTheHorn
Yes I know UCONN is not in ACC so I had 8 teams involved that can vote to break up the ACC
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It’s funny to see the big 12 schools sucking each other’s dicks right about now.  Their continued survival is more about the pac’s incompetence than anything that they actually did. It’s great for them that they are going to get decent tv revenue In this round but that gaggle of spares smells an awful lot like the old mountain west conference.

The playoff negotiations are going to be interesting.  You can bet your sweet ass that one of the auto bids is going away. I wouldn’t be shocked if they whittle it down even further. I wonder what side the big 12 comes down on? Do they think they have a shot to get two teams into the playoff? Or will they know their place at the kiddie table? I also wonder what the networks throw out there because we know they're driving the bus. 

Mitch, I mean this with the utmost love but

oh-fuck-off-fuck.gif

Before you go further, recognize this is a whiskey-fueled Saturday afternoon rant.

I'm a fan of both TEXAS and TEXAS TCEH but fully realize the two schools are in two different worlds. Maybe it's just because I'm now an old or simply a realist due to having a piece of paper from both schools. To briefly explain those affiliations, I'll just say that I grew up in a small town south of Lubbock where giving a shit about the Red Raiders was kind of a normal thing, but I also grew up in awe of Texas and its history.

Scrappy school to the north and athletic/academic behemoth to the south. It's just how it was. Yeah, I wanted to go to Texas (also accepted into Rice) but my Raider parents enrolled me at Tech while I was an exchange student in France while I wasn't paying attention. They were paying, so I got my undergrad there. Simple matter in the mind of an 18-year-old.

UT later called and I got my Master's here at the University in Austin. But, at Tech, I had a helluva time as a band geek, playing the trumpet for the "Goin' Band from Raiderland" for my PE credit, attending every home game and a few away games at Texas, aggy, TCU, Baylor, etc. I even got to march the field at Texas Stadium in Irving for a Cowboys game, Mile High for another Cowboys game, in the Astrodome of an Oilers game.

LONG STORY SHORT:

It was fun; I had a good time. No Tceh fans I knew took any of that shit seriously, because we knew we weren't all that in 1990 & '91. Some brief success under the Pirate may have changed the culture since then (and I haven't kept up too closely), but I think from that perspective, attitudes will likely regress to the mean. I mean, that's really what going to Tceh is all about. You get a degree and get all your ya-yas out.

IT'S ONLY A GAME.

Here's the difference in fandom between Texas and Tceh fans. UT takes it seriously, and I deeply respect the commitment to excellence. In fact, I love it. Watching Vince get that last-second touchdown on the fourth down was sheer ecstasy. Feeling the swell of pride from having a diploma from this school along with being a native of this state, was irreplaceable.

But you've got to keep this shit in perspective, which is what being a Tceh fan should be all about. You know you're not the best; you know you're the underdog; but, gotdammit, it's going to be fun as shit if we knock them down a peg or two. Watching Texas play sometimes feels like a lot of work and pressure, because of the stress and pressure to be the fuckin' best.

wtf-longhorns.gif

So, as a fan of both schools, I'm happy as shit about the split. It takes away the tight tension to have that grounding factor and just enjoy the fucking game. They're supposed to be fun, yeah? Those are 18-20-old kids running around carrying, tackling, kicking, throwing, and catching an oddly shaped inflated balloon to market an institution of scholastic repute. It's fucking hilarious.

BUT IT'S A BUSINESS!

Unfortunately, yes, there are millions of dollars at stake but ain't none of them mine. I'm watching for the simple pleasure of the sport, and so long as I can watch either of my teams play this game without utterly embarrassing themselves, I'll be happy. Tceh, Okie lite, and the Cyclones were never going to compete with the likes of Texas and OUsux on a regular basis, but I'll keep watching for the fun of it. I'll also keep watching Texas for the semi-professional import.

always-sunny.gif

So, yeah, I'll watch Texas in the SEC while stressed out because I want to see the LONGHORNS KICK SOME FUCKING ASS, but I'll probably have a lot more fun watching the Raider Rash Claptastic Bowl against the Tempe Temptresses.

wtf-gif.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I disagree they are moving around for cash once their contract are over or paying millions to move a year early. The problem with the portal is that it has not penalties for leaving after you sign a contract.

Because the schools get the millions from tv deals. If you give the players a cut of those millions, I’m fine with making them pay to transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the sec was to look to add 4- my preference would be uva, UNC, Clemson, and fsu. 

b12 can add Pitt, Louisville, Miami, and say ncstate or vatech

big 10 gets uconn and notre dame. 

stanford and cal to mwc I guess, or Indy. 

Palatable, but I’d rather the SEC stay at 16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, locodos said:

lulz no.  They're the Icy Hot Stuntaz of college football.  Sure when they were rampantly cheating and playing for titles at home they had success...  but oh man

Have you met their shitty fans?

Have you been to Miami Gardens (+16miles from their "campus") to see a home game?

Have you heard that their NIL mega booster is probably going to jail?

Do you know they've NEVER won an ACC title?

I seriously doubt the Big10 will touch them.   South Florida is a big TV market, but you get MANY more eyeballs with either the Gata or FSU.  

Pros:

recruiting South Florida

weather

I thought I could party until I did a night out w Ruiz.  Christ.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This shit is all so ridiculous. 20 team conferences are a joke. Why even bother with conferences at this point. Just reorganize football into an NFL lite with "x" divisions and "y" teams per division which have some geographic proximity. I realize that the old system was bound to fail when you had schools with such radically different financial constraints "competing" against each other. But this attempt to perpetuate the collegiate feel seems temporary at best. Just rip the fucking bandaid off. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

This shit is all so ridiculous. 20 team conferences are a joke. Why even bother with conferences at this point...   this attempt to perpetuate the collegiate feel seems temporary at best. Just rip the fucking bandaid off. 

I'm really enjoying it... it's fuckin' hilarious 😋